What brand makes the best carry/stand bags?

Definitely Sun Mountain.
I really don't like their logo, but their bags are the best quality.

I have owned 3 ping hoofer bags in my life and each one has broken.
When I was in junior golf, my mom bought me a hoofer. Within a month, the entire side with the large pocket fell off, or detached. We were in the phoenix area after an even and took the bag to their main office and they refused to fix it. They said we needed to give it back to the pro at the course she bought it to send to them. We were a little pissed.

My next ping bag was bought by the local mens club for being on the high school team. Within months the stand broke. This time I gave it to the pro and it took Ping almost 2 months to send it back and when they sent it back it had a hole in the pocket.

From then on I used a Mizuno Bag, then a AM&E Bag and never had any issues.

I refuse to buy a ping product, mainly because of how they treated me when I was a junior. Seriously, the stitching came out and the whole pocket detached.

I have never owned a Sun Mountain bag, but I sell a lot of them and people rarely have problems and if there is one, sun with fix it promptly.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fwiw just got back from bandon dunes and asked the cadies what bags they prefer and the universal answer was anything from Sun Mountain. These guys carry for a job so that comment has some weight to me.

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

[quote name='Tru' timestamp='1332407608' post='4555250']
Sun Mountain all the way. i love my Four5. I had an Ogio Vaporlite and the legs were terrible. It was always falling over. Gave it to a friend when I moved and kept the Four5. Never tried the Ping Hoofer, but I've read nothing but great reviews about it.
[/quote]
+1 on the legs being crap. Mine would fall over if a ladybug landed on it. Plenty beer was spilt.

I had a Hoofer Vantage. Good bag but seemed liked the butt end of my clubs were always tangled up.

Think I'm going to check out the Four5.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

I own a 2011 SM Four5 and love it so far. More than enough room and the straps are really comfortable.

[b]I haven't owned any other so I can't comment on whether it's better or worse to own than other bags.[/b]

However, today I browsed through the 2012 lineup, and I have to say I'm extremely glad I have the 2011 model. I think they dropped the ball on the 2012 Four5. The drink pocket has no business being on the front of the bag: it was perfectly fine on the side. There seems to be less butt padding, though it might end up being better or the same. If it keeps the bag lighter than before while keeping it just as comfortable, then good news, but I see no issue with the 2011 version. Also, they removed a side pocket, which is mindboggling because I find it very useful.

As for the H2N0, it looks very good, but I really dislike the zippers. On the one I looked at, one of the zippers was impossible to open without ripping the bag apart, which I didn't do. I'm guessing that bag is supposed to be waterproof ? Good idea, but when the zipper on a brand-new-never-sold bag is already broken, it doesn't put me in confidence.

As for the 3.5, the 4-way divider is just a turn off so I didn't even bother looking at it, whether it's the 2011 or the 2012 model.

Unless they're giving out free BJs with the bags, I don't see why I would want a 2012 model over a 2011 one...

Sun Mountain for walking, no contest. The Lightweight 3.5 was my first & is still in use; just added discounted 2011 models of the Four5 & SwiftX to the rotation this season as well.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

I say ping I own 6 of them, everyone is in great working shape. Playing junior, high school and college golf I've probably walked a hundred plus rounds with each of them and I could use any of them today. Sun mountain bags are nice they make bags for titleist but for me I will never use a different brand then ping, My two cents.

To me, Ping is the go-to for the best carry/stand bag. I carried my second generation Hoofer for 12 years. For 6 of those years I worked for several golf courses, which allowed me to walk at least 18 holes, carrying my Hoofer, 5-6 days a week. I recently replaced the Hoofer because in my current location there are not many courses that allow walking, so I wanted something that rode better on the back of a cart. I put a Nike SQ stand bag in play, and it is a good bag for walking and its more rigid structure makes it better than the Hoofer for riding. I gave some serious thought to the Sun Mountain 4.5, but the Nike worked slightly better on the back of a cart. The Nike is a pretty heavy bag (possibly because there are so many compartments it is easy to overload it), but it isn't unmanageable when I walk and the 14-way divider has been great for keeping my clubs from banging against each other.

That said, if I were still in a position where I could walk every time I played, I would still be using the same Ping Hoofer. It had 12 years of service, and I don't doubt it would have gone 12 more!

My take is this (from personal experience and working in a golf store for 4 years several years ago).

Sun Mountain bags are a great mix of lightweight and durability.
Ogio bags are heavier but, generally, hold up better and have more features.
PING bags will last forever but are frustrating as hell to use. The leg system is goofy, the strap system is odd and the clubs seem to always get stuck towards the end.

I have a PING but will soon be switching to Sun Mountain or Ogio.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1332963543' post='4600249']
My take is this (from personal experience and working in a golf store for 4 years several years ago).

Sun Mountain bags are a great mix of lightweight and durability.
Ogio bags are heavier but, generally, hold up better and have more features.
PING bags will last forever but are frustrating as hell to use. The leg system is goofy, the strap system is odd and the clubs seem to always get stuck towards the end.

I have a PING but will soon be switching to Sun Mountain or Ogio.
[/quote]

I have a couple of questions about Ogio. I've been reading up on them and it seems they are pretty innovative. Are they that much heavier than Sun Mountain? I like their shock absorbing (ShockXX) straps and according to their website the Ogio Pace is 3.3 lbs. I'm wondering if Ogio doesn't have the market exposure that Ping/Sun Mountain/Titleist have and is the reason they didn't get more votes.

Call me odd, but I'll sacrifice 1-1.5 pounds of weight if the club organization and ergonomics of the bag are good. I think that may be why I get along with Ogio so well. The oblong/oval shape of their bags fits my back nicely and I much prefer the single-piece, double-strap. My wife's Callaway Dayrtipper II (Ogio) is a VERY nice bag. Heck, I'm contemplating giving it a whirl this season because of the strap design and Wood-E club management. Yes, it is 1-1.5 lbs. heavier than my PING but I don't think my back will notice.

[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1332996398' post='4603991']
Call me odd, but I'll sacrifice 1-1.5 pounds of weight if the club organization and ergonomics of the bag are good. I think that may be why I get along with Ogio so well. The oblong/oval shape of their bags fits my back nicely and I much prefer the single-piece, double-strap. My wife's Callaway Dayrtipper II (Ogio) is a VERY nice bag. Heck, I'm contemplating giving it a whirl this season because of the strap design and Wood-E club management. Yes, it is 1-1.5 lbs. heavier than my PING but I don't think my back will notice.
[/quote]

as long as you stretch like our boy Jimenez!

i had to, your avatar is cracking me up

i have used a titleist carry bag for over 4 years now and it has lasted wonderfully. No broken zippers or tears or anything broken and the legs still work great. And i have walked a lot of rounds. I've never heard of those bags being rebadged sun mountain though but i believe it. When i get a new bag it'll either be sun mountain or a PING hoofer.

What do you people do that have the OGIO bags fail?? I've owned four now, played them all for at least a year (~100 rounds) one of them for 3 years and have sold every one of them in perfect working condition to fund the next bag.

The thing about the heavier weights is, you need to compare apples to apples; their fuller-featured bags are heavy, but my last model the Ozone was 6 lbs. with the straps, and the model I have now, last year's Velocity (basically this year's Sprint) is 4.4 lbs. with the straps. They now have an ultralite line with very light bags. Just remember, the weights they list are WITHOUT straps and the straps pretty much always weight 1/2 lb. So factor that in when you're looking at the weights. Not sure if other manufacturers do this too.

To be honest I've tried but I can't STOP using OGIO bags because of their Woode club system, it's just so good; Driver, and typically 3 woods / hybrids (2 in the Velocity) run down one side and your irons and wedges are on the other side, nearest you (for a right-handed player that drops the bag on their right side.) So it's incredibly ergonomic because the tallest clubs are farthest from you. This would work like crap for lefties though. The putter slot is also designed to only hold a putter and keeps it from touching any of the other clubs which is good for your putter (if you care, which I do not) and good for the other clubs (I do care, sucks when your graphite shafts get all torn up). And many of the their carry bags have the lift grip on top which is just an indispensable feature as far as I'm concerned.

Some clubs missing but that's another ho story...

[attachment=1102435:IMAG0224.jpg]
That's the Velocity

Had some issues with my PING Voyage and was offered to have it replaced by PING with another bag in their lineup. I chose to go with a new Hoofer. PING customer service was awesome but more on that in another thread!

While the new bag in in transit, I've been bagging the wife's OGIO (Callaway Daytripper II) for two rounds and have a few observations:
It is definitely heavier than my PING. It was only noticeable around the 15th hole but it was there.

The shape of the bag being more "oval" made it very comfortable against my back.

The strap system is much better that the two independent PING straps, however, it seems that the OGIO "ran out" of room for adjustement and the bag seemed to hang too low.

The legs on the OGIO have a MUCH wider stance than my PING. This is good when in windy condition.

The WoodE top on the OGIO is great. My clubs did not get tangled like they did when in the PING.

At the end of the day, the OGIO had some pluses and some minuses. I'm going to see what happens when I get the new PING Hoofer shipped to me.

My new J.Lindeberg branded Ogio bag is awesomeness. Best bag ever!

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

• 2 weeks later...

Tough to say what's the best if there's such a thing. My Titleist Utralight wore out prematurely - material wear underside near legs after 6 months use. My Callaway 3.0 was returned twice for drooping legs then was upgraded to 4.0 model - it had material failure too (seams gave out near ball pocket). I had an Ogio Vaporlite with drooping legs too. My current Ping Latitude had drooping legs too and that's with their supposed retention leg strap system. I did a temporary fix on it and hope it lasts for several years. $200 bucks is a lot of dough for bags that don't last a season. Needless to say, I'm done with Titleist, Callaway, Ogio and Ping as far as future bags are concerned.

Handicap:  3