Distance and handicaps for 14 year olds

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play with a kid here in Calgary who is 12. He just shot 71 last weekend in a tourney from 6300. He was low score in the whole event including up to 18 year olds. It was blowing 25 miles per hour and 38 degrees. He drives it about 250 consistently.

Another young guy we get out with here a lot is 15 and his swing speed is 110. He carries it about 275 in Calgary. He is currently a +4 handicap. He's shot more tourney rounds in the 60's in the last 4 months than out of the 60's.

Just cause you haven't seen young guys go low doesn't mean they can't....

[quote name='dplevin' timestamp='1334796961' post='4748320']
I have no doubt that there are some great junior golfers, but those guys have probably been playing all their lives, not 10 months.
[/quote]

Yes you're correct but I've seen 3 for 4 guys that started around 14 that were a low single digit in a year.

some people are more gifted than others....

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1334798031' post='4748456']
[quote name='dplevin' timestamp='1334796961' post='4748320']
I have no doubt that there are some great junior golfers, but those guys have probably been playing all their lives, not 10 months.
[/quote]

Yes you're correct but I've seen 3 for 4 guys that started around 14 that were a low single digit in a year.

some people are more gifted than others....
[/quote]

I agree, I've also seen people get very good in a very short time, but generally most people don't get that good that fast.

[quote name='Iplaxidentlyshotmyself' timestamp='1334804601' post='4749350']
[quote name='dplevin' timestamp='1334804220' post='4749300']
[quote name='Wpweinheimer' timestamp='1334801836' post='4748978']
I would be willing to post my swing here if you want, only If I can figure out how it works...
[/quote]

Your swing or the video link? :friends:
[/quote]

haha good one.
the link
[/quote]

If you really want to do this, you can make it into a youtube video and put the link here. BTW, I like your new username.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1334796787' post='4748294']
I play with a kid here in Calgary who is 12. He just shot 71 last weekend in a tourney from 6300. He was low score in the whole event including up to 18 year olds. It was blowing 25 miles per hour and 38 degrees. He drives it about 250 consistently.

Another young guy we get out with here a lot is 15 and his swing speed is 110. He carries it about 275 in Calgary. He is currently a +4 handicap. He's shot more tourney rounds in the 60's in the last 4 months than out of the 60's.

[/quote]

Yeah, but despite the fact that both of them are members of this site they aren't in this thread telling everyone how good they are.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1334805329' post='4749464']
[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1334796787' post='4748294']

[/quote]

Yeah, but despite the fact that both of them are members of this site they aren't in this thread telling everyone how good they are.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Iplaxidentlyshotmyself' timestamp='1334805590' post='4749500']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3DBEfciQw[/media]

This is my swing, comments are welcome.
[/quote]

Great swing! You do a lot of things I like. For one, you keep good flex in your right knee at the top which allows you to support the momentum of your transition. I like your left hand position at the top. You sequence from the top very well and it looks like you have good speed.

Keep on pounding the ground! You're well on your way!

Seems as if the young golfers are better than all the guys who have been doing it for 20+ years..

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Ok a little adult perspective.

My son is 12 and plays off a six handicap, he has been playing for around 3 1/2 years. He is around 5' 3" and has a very strong build.

I'm in my 40s and am a nine handicap and while not the world's longest hitter I do get it out there, carry around 260 on a calm day on level ground, my son is usually just behind me, a matter of 5 yards or so, however he is far more consistent whereas I will sometimes be at 225 if i catch it wrong or sometimes at 270/80 if it comes out really solid. The crazy thing is he hits his 6 iron around 180 which is further than I can manage.

He is long for his age, very long, but I have seen 12/13 year olds who hit it further, they are very unusual though and are of two varieties, those who are around 6 feet tall, yes they do exist, and those who have been playing since they were 3 or 4 and can time the ball perfectly. Obviously when you get a boy of the 6 foot variety who has been playing since the age of 4 they can get it out there near the 300 yard mark.

But of course it means nothing, or very little. My son will come in at a tournament and shoot 80 while his playing companion has carded a 76, yet my son has been outdriving his partner by 30 yards with a 5 wood to the other's driver, been hitiing greens while the other boy somes up short yet missing 5 footers and 3 putting from 20 feet while the other boy gets up and down every single time.

Down to an index or 3 and change in 10 months at age 14 is impressive however and I take it with a large pinch of salt.......

[quote name='SirHackAlot' timestamp='1335807332' post='4815912']
i have a 14 and 16 year old playing golf since they were 4 and 6 years old...been seeing swing coaches all of their lives

both hit the ball well for their age, tho they have friends that hit the ball much further

14 year old (weighs 120, 5' 9") averages 250, some are shorter, some longer

16 year old (weighs 116, 5' 7") averages 275? playing #1 spot on jv this year, was moved to varsity at the end of the season...hit's the ball over 300 yards on good shots (we paced off a few drives over 330yds) and he drives shorty par 4's at our home course occasionally...

[b]hitting the ball far is not about size or weight..its about creating speed, if your hips are fast, you can generate distance[/b]
[/quote]

I know that, personally ive never seen a 16 year old that weighs 116lbs drive a golfball anywhere near 300 yards?!, i would love to see it being honest. Either theres a lot of Fibs being told on this forum or the irish weather and softer fairways must be holding back a lot of good golfers from hitting longer drives! Im a pretty decent hitter, athletic guy, 6ft2 and 215lbs, ss about 112/114,probably one of the better drivers of the ball in the club, only time ive ever hit 300 is downwind, not a high hope in hell of carrying the ball 285/290 without wind assistance or playing downhill! Maybe i need to go golfing in america :)

EDIT: No disprespect to you or your sons, a fine swing that is and a fine golfer he may be, but i find it very very hard to believe thats producing anywhere near 280/290/300 yards, unless hes teeing off the side of a cliff

[quote name='Tony_Ireland' timestamp='1335808058' post='4816006']
i have a 14 and 16 year old playing golf since they were 4 and 6 years old...been seeing swing coaches all of their lives

both hit the ball well for their age, tho they have friends that hit the ball much further

16 year old (weighs 116, 5' 7") averages 275? playing #1 spot on jv this year, was moved to varsity at the end of the season...hit's the ball over 300 yards on good shots (we paced off a few drives over 330yds) and he drives shorty par 4's at our home course occasionally...

[b]hitting the ball far is not about size or weight..its about creating speed, if your hips are fast, you can generate distance[/b]
[/quote]

I know that, personally ive never seen a 16 year old that weighs 116lbs drive a golfball anywhere near 300 yards?!, i would love to see it being honest. Either theres a lot of Fibs being told on this forum or the irish weather and softer fairways must be holding back a lot of good golfers from hitting longer drives! Im a pretty decent hitter, athletic guy, 6ft2 and 215lbs, ss about 112/114,probably one of the better drivers of the ball in the club, only time ive ever hit 300 is downwind, not a high hope in hell of carrying the ball 285/290 without wind assistance or playing downhill! Maybe i need to go golfing in america :)

EDIT: No disprespect to you or your sons, a fine swing that is and a fine golfer he may be, but i find it very very hard to believe thats producing anywhere near 280/290/300 yards, unless hes teeing off the side of a cliff
[/quote]

yeah..

neither did i, til his coaches told me he was comin into par 5's with middle/short iron second shots...rofl

to be honest, with your size, swing speed you should be hitting the ball further, but your swing mechanics probably hold you back (my boys have seen a top swing coach, he coaches usc/cal/pro lpga players, most of their golfing years), i agree that cold damp weather will cut your distance as well, have you optimized your driver using a launch monitor?....

good luck...

[size="2"]Well, i'm a girl so im going to be shorter than you guys but i've been playing about a year and i hit [/size][color=#1C2837]240 on a good shot, but about [/color][color=#1C2837]2[/color][color=#1C2837]25 avg[/color]
[color=#1C2837]oh and like [/color][color=#1C2837]20 something handicap, just shot a 91 today...[/color]

[quote name='SirHackAlot' timestamp='1335818814' post='4817692']
[quote name='Tony_Ireland' timestamp='1335808058' post='4816006']

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah..

neither did i, til his coaches told me he was comin into par 5's with middle/short iron second shots...rofl

to be honest, with your size, swing speed you should be hitting the ball further, but your swing mechanics probably hold you back (my boys have seen a top swing coach, he coaches usc/cal/pro lpga players, most of their golfing years), i agree that cold damp weather will cut your distance as well, have you optimized your driver using a launch monitor?....

good luck...
[/quote]

Well yeah i prob should be hitting maybe an extra 10 yards but as we all know, we dont hit the centre of the face every time, that couples with the fact its never a calm day in this lovely country we call ireland either ha. The fence down the end of the driving range here is exactly 275 and i often take one bounce and crack it, so i guess i would bang out a good few drives over 290 with roll yeah.

I guess im one of those people that has to see something to believe it, and like i said ive never ever seen a Minor of that stature/physique out on course driving a ball 300 yards. Never been on a launch monitor either actually and im still in the process of trying out different shafts, my trajectory is a little high right now so hoping the new one will bring it down a bit!

Wish i started golf when i was 14, the futures bright! :)

[quote name='miuratiteleist55' timestamp='1335895188' post='4825038']
Im 12 and I play off 14.I Drive the ball about 220 and the longest drive ever was 285.I play in Ireland which is hard at the course i play at about 300 days a year are windy.I dont believe the kid who said he was playing off 3 no way!Im playing about a year as well and im about 5"2.
[/quote]

lol..i thought we all understood that the kid who started this thread is no way being honest...

3.7 index after 10 months? he's either being very selective of scores he posts or he's playing a pitch and putt course everyday...

sub 4 indexes can go to tracks over 7,000 yards and shoot low 70's...hitting the ball as short as he does will never allow him to score in single digits on a course of any decent length....i THOUGHT that was obvious when i first read his post :)

btw tony, my 16 year old lifts weights four days a week in an "early bird" program they have at his high school...he is solid muscle and has been focusing on "explosive" weight training suggested for competitive golf, and...

while he hits the ball a ton, he rarely breaks 90...long and in the trees is no way to shoot low scores...lol