2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Calling all Parents of Junior Girls

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1334630805' post='4735332']
My friend's daughter won this weekend. She shot a 68/71. This is the third event she's won this year.
[/quote]

That is phenomenal scoring! On which junior tour does she compete?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='golfnut-2X' timestamp='1334626704' post='4734832']
Great thread. Hope it continues. I also have a pre-junior daugther. Though young it's her second year playing competitively. I have been working with her for many years since she was little but they say the journey is just beginning.

This weekend she shot one over for 9 and next day two over for 9. She is 7 playing from 1500 yards for par36 or 3000 for par 72 18. <br><br>USKids has some good multi day competitions in what they call their "regional" tournaments. Locals everyone goes with all skills. If you are in florida, californina, or another year round warm climate state the locals may be competitve. I am in the North East and not very competitive. Regionals are very competitive. The big one is the World Championship in early August at Pinehurst - literally the top 50 kids for a given age bracket from all around the world. From what I seen its the single most world wide event that is multi day and very competitive - 3 day rounds.

I am very interested in other competitive tours or statewide competitiions. Unfortunately the local section waits until 10-12. Wish you all the best on the journey. Looking forward to both learning from this thread and sharing what I have learned.

Kind Regards,
[/quote]

One over par for 9 is truly outstanding for a kid that young, I don't care what the yardage is. Although my daughter occasionally had a club in her hands, and some exposure to golf ages 6-9, she really did not practice regularly until we began entering her in tournaments at age 10. She is athletic, and picked it up quickly, but I regret not having gotten her into tournaments and a steadier golf routine at a little bit of a younger age. She had the strength and physical coordination, which not all kids do at ages 5, 6, or 7.

There is an Asian girl from our general area who is also a [b]really good[/b] player. She is in 6th grade and has a late birthday, so she will still be just 11 years old when all of the big junior tournaments are held this summer. To look at her you would think she was easily 17. She is 5'7" and was just about as big last year when she competed as a ten year old (just a few weeks from her 11th birthday) in the US Kids World Championships. She looked so out of place playing with all of the little peewee 10 year olds. She is a year and a half younger than my girl, who is 13, but is bigger and looks older. The 10 year olds play from about 4600 yards in the Worlds. This young lady decimated the field and shot [b]63[/b] in the first round!

My daughter has played quite a bit with her in some local junior events and is competitive with her from the longer yardages, although her game is more refined than my kid's. (My daughter only beat her once.) I am very impressed with this young lady and her parents. They are all really wonderful people. Although they have a very competitive nature, and very high expectations for their daughter, I see no signs of pushiness. They are also very supportive of, and complimentary to my daughter when we run into them.

Oh, and to boot, this girl is also a virtuoso violinist. When I told my wife about that, she replied with a rye smile..."of course she is!"

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1334368438' post='4718218']
Hi all:
There is a simple sol'n.

For those who have Korean friends.....just send your daughters to live with them for the next 5 yrs and there will likely be a 99% chance your daughter qualify for the LPGA in 2018.

I wish all your daughters much success whichever route she takes and hope to see them on the LPGA in the future.
[/quote]

...... I'm Korean but I don't think my daughter can qualify for LPGA within 5 years.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1334659852' post='4736490']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1334630805' post='4735332']
My friend's daughter won this weekend. She shot a 68/71. This is the third event she's won this year.
[/quote]

That is phenomenal scoring! On which junior tour does she compete?
[/quote]
She plays on the US Challenge Cup, but this was the FCWT (Future Collegians World Tour). She also plays in some AJGA events, USGA amateur events, and some others as well. She won the Scott Robertson last year, and she won at Doral in December.

dpb5031 user_popup.png- know what you mean by physical maturity at such a young age. my daugther is slightly tall for first grade but when you look at her she looks and acts like a first grader (as she should). there is one girl that competes in this age group that just dominates (scoring average under par). we talked with a parent that is an elementary school teacher and they never saw a 2nd/3rd grader that looked so big, tall, and mature both mentally and physically. Someone mentioned online that they also went through the junior tours and the big maturity differences you see at the early age seem to go away as they get older.

dpb5031 user_popup.png- know what you mean by physical maturity at such a young age. my daugther is slightly tall for first grade but when you look at her she looks and acts like a first grader (as she should). there is one girl that competes in this age group that just dominates (scoring average under par). we talked with a parent that is an elementary school teacher and they never saw a 2nd/3rd grader that looked so big, tall, and mature both mentally and physically. Someone mentioned online that they also went through the junior tours and the big maturity differences you see at the early age seem to go away as they get older.

Varying rates of physical, intellectual, and emotional maturation all play a huge role in a junior athlete's development. Some bloom early but fizzle out, some bloom late and flourish, and many fall well in between the extremes.

I know that in my daughter's first few years of playing golf, she hit the ball solidly quite often, and she could bang putts in if they were inside of six to ten feet, but she just didn't seem to have any touch on lag putts or chips. It bothered and worried me because I consider "soft hands" and "touch" to be one of the best aspects of my own game, and one of the most important requirements for scoring. At some point another parent told me, "don't worry about it, they all develop touch at different ages...eventually it will just click for her." Truer words were never spoken. It has taken some time, but I am beginning to see that intuitive touch begin to develop. In fact, at times it is scary good and leaves me scratching my head.

That brings me to another point. Kids don't have all of the demons that we adults have out there on the golf course. They often can't differentiate an impossibly difficult shot from a relatively easy shot. It amazes me to watch them execute nearly impossible shots flawlessly, and do so largely because they have absolutely no fear of failure or the negative consequences associated with not pulling it off.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I thought it would be cool to post some photos and videos of our kid's swings. I don't have any up to date video yet, but here is a photo of my daughter hitting her driver from a few weeks ago:

[attachment=1126748:Haley-Driver 4-12.jpg]

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Very nice. She looks tall and powerful in that photo.

Here's some of my daughter from Las Vegas last week. The lower sequence is at Wolf Creek in Mesquite on an awesome par three. The swing was for the photo after she had already hit the shot from the dramatically elevated tee over the bush/rock on the right to about 15'.

225-1.jpg

507.jpg

508-1.jpg

509.jpg

510.jpg

Thanks Musky...my kid's not real tall, about 5'4" and 120 lbs., but I guess she does look kinda tall in the photo I posted. She's only 13 so hopefully she grows a little bit more. She is pretty strong though, and can hit it pretty far if she manages to retain her leverage into impact.

Looks like you daughter has a good swing. She' nicely on plane in that down swing shot just after transition. That golf course looks awesome. My daughter has never played out west so I know when I show her the photos you posted she will be jealous.

We are trying to plan her summer tournament schedule. All of the big junior tournaments are in July one right after another, and in some cases conflicting with one another. We are contemplating the Optimist International and the US Kids Teen World Championships in Pinehurst. The good thing is we can drive to Pinehurst. To do them all would cost thousands, and some parents do drag their kids to all of them.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

We're still deciding on a number of events. Tomorrow is opening of registration for our State PGA junior events, and we need to sign up instantly for the Irish Course event and the big all girls event at Sentry World. Then we decide on some more MAJGT events as well as WI State Golf Association events. The Summer moves like lightning once school ends. There is one AJGA event here in WI that she'll have to qualify for if she decides to play it.

I'm joining the thread late but I too have a competitive junior girl golfer, who is presently 15. Facinating to hear about stories of other parents of jr. girls. My daughter started competing at 8 and has played multiple Jr. worlds, US Kids Pinehurst and Pepsi's. We live in Canada so she plays our Provincial and National Jr tournaments. Have played a couple of AJGA Jr All-Stars and last year played the Arizona Silver Belle in Phoenix, which is only for girls.

The issue of how much to push when they are pre-teen is interesting. At that age they obviously need some direction, and we've followed a piece of advice given to us years ago. Let them play as many tournaments they they want to. It just so happened that my kid wanted to play a lot, so we entered her into many local and regional ones. She started playing two day tournies at age 9, eventually graduating to 3 and 4 day tournaments by age 14. Personally I feel $300 is a lot for a two day tournament, so we found a lot of less expensive local and regional ones and played them often. Of course, there are tournaments to which we have to travel, and it gets expensive quick. As they get older the tournaments lasts longer (plus travel time), so the number they can play diminishes.

As for college golf, it appears to be relatively easy (compared to the boys) to get the opportunity to play. We know several girls who shoot in the mid to high 80's from 6000 yards who are getting full rides to NAIA and even D1 programs. So it seems a shame not to pursue it.We have just started the process of looking at different programs and it's a scary but exciting journey to try and find the right school, both academically and golf wise.

Crazy night in our house. The WI State PGA Junior events opened for registration at 8:00 pm. The event at The Irish Course at Whistling that I mentioned earlier, it's $70, filled in 10 minutes. 23 girls and my daughter is one of them. Then we chose a two day event at a great venue called Lawsonia, a two day event in Madison, that is a huge junior tournament here in WI, an all girl event at a great venue called Sentry World, and the annual local Milwaukee tournament put on by the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel. Decided to skip the one AJGA event in WI as it is the same week as the Lawsonia and local Milwaukee tournaments. They count toward WI player of the year points, and enough points can lead to invites to a two day year end invitational, and a yearly WI vs MN Ryder Cup style tournament early next Summer.

So that gets my daughter started. She will sign up for others including the Wisconsin State Golf Association junior girls match play, but these were the time sensitive entries. There may be another MAJGT event or two, also.

Setting up your junior player's tournament schedule can certainly be quite the task. I agree with letting them decide how many tournaments they would like to play, and which ones, with the caveat that if I'm going to pay for it, she better put the appropriate time in to prepare for it. So far, that has worked out pretty well.

As for the price, you really have to look at the venues. Obviously the junior tours that play at high end venues will typically cost more. One exception is the US Girls Junior Am qualifiers. This year in NJ the qualifier is at Trump National in Bedminster and the cost is only $25. We are signed up for that one, even though I doubt my daughter has a realistic shot of actually qualifying.

In addition to my 13 year old golfer, I also have a 16 year old rower (crew). Golf with the little one requires so much of my time and attention that I really have to make it a point to find ways to spend time with my older one. Often the wife and I have to divide and conquer, one of us going to the lake for a regatta and the other to a golf tournament.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1335009320' post='4762380']
Setting up your junior player's tournament schedule can certainly be quite the task. I agree with letting them decide how many tournaments they would like to play, and which ones, with the caveat that if I'm going to pay for it, she better put the appropriate time in to prepare for it. So far, that has worked out pretty well.

As for the price, you really have to look at the venues. Obviously the junior tours that play at high end venues will typically cost more. One exception is the US Girls Junior Am qualifiers. This year in NJ the qualifier is at Trump National in Bedminster and the cost is only $25. We are signed up for that one, even though I doubt my daughter has a realistic shot of actually qualifying.

In addition to my 13 year old golfer, I also have a 16 year old rower (crew). Golf with the little one requires so much of my time and attention that I really have to make it a point to find ways to spend time with my older one. Often the wife and I have to divide and conquer, one of us going to the lake for a regatta and the other to a golf tournament.
[/quote]

Totally agree that they should be accountable for proper preparation if you're going to pay for all the tournaments they want to play. Our summer schedule this year is so tight that we worry about burn-out. Between practice rounds (typically 2 per big event) and travelling there's not a lot of time for rest and hanging out with friends. We have found that as the significance and intensity of the tournies get bigger, our daughter needs more rest and the number of events has to be reduced.

We have also not played the US Jr Girls qualifier but know a lot of girls who have and actually qualified. Not only is the qualifier a great deal at $25, that amount includes the cost of the actual tournament (Lake Merced in California this year), which could be as many as 8 or 9 rounds, if you get through the stroke play part and deep into the match play. Good luck to your daughter. The experience itself will no doubt be beneficial for the future. Make sure you get her a good caddy (cannot be a parent). She sounds like she is progressing great, having won her first IJGT at 13 years old.

We always marvel at parents who have multiple kids in different sports. That's a lot of dedication.

[quote name='twounderpar' timestamp='1335026280' post='4763390']

[/quote]

We always marvel at parents who have multiple kids in different sports. That's a lot of dedication.
[/quote]

If we had any more kids, it would be impossible to do what we do for our two. I have a buddy who has 4 kids between 12 and 17. They all play different sports. Two of his kids play a little golf, but there just is not enough time to go around to cultivate their games.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[/quote]

I have the same issue with a younger daughter that is a very talented dancer. My wife takes her most her dance sessions 3 days a week. I make all of her major performances, but miss most of the minor ones. I make it a point to have a "date night" with just her and I. She loves steak so we go to a steak place and have dinner, then hang out for a little while. At the same time my wife takes the golfer daughter out to spend some time with her. It never seems to really even things out, but with two talented kids in skill activities that take a lot of time you have to do what you can to spend some time with them.

My daughter and I have played our last 6 rounds together from the men's tees. The forward tees play 5750, while the regular men's tees are 6350. I was surprised what a fun and natural transition this was for her. She focusses on putts for par. So far her record is 17 in a round, with a low of 11. Par 3s and 5s are straight forward, and with good course management the 4s are there for the taking. This all translates to nice low to mid 80s golf.

What is really nice, however, is the increased interaction she has with the gentlemen. No ladies tees means no unwarranted niceties from the guys. Straight up from the same tees, it's game on fellas! So much more fun. Learning a little trash talk along the way.

I hear some parents and/or coaches talk about teeing it forward and scoring low etc., but teeing it back and fighting for a score is really fun, too.

There are two more sets of tees to conquer in the future should her length improve!

[quote name='Man In The Miura' timestamp='1335140312' post='4770148']
My daughter and I have played our last 6 rounds together from the men's tees. The forward tees play 5750, while the regular men's tees are 6350. I was surprised what a fun and natural transition this was for her. She focusses on putts for par. So far her record is 17 in a round, with a low of 11. Par 3s and 5s are straight forward, and with good course management the 4s are there for the taking. This all translates to nice low to mid 80s golf.

What is really nice, however, is the increased interaction she has with the gentlemen. No ladies tees means no unwarranted niceties from the guys. Straight up from the same tees, it's game on fellas! So much more fun. Learning a little trash talk along the way.

I hear some parents and/or coaches talk about teeing it forward and scoring low etc., but teeing it back and fighting for a score is really fun, too.

There are two more sets of tees to conquer in the future should her length improve!
[/quote]

I like this approach. How old is your daughter?

The men's regular tees at our course are around 6200. My 13 year old can hit all of the holes in regulation from these tees, but some of the longer par fours require her to hit a very solid drive in order to do so. If she plays forward, she can get away with some "not so solid tee shots," and still reach the green easily with her next. I think the challenge is a good one as long as the course is not soaking wet.

Although I usually don't play along with my daughter when I take her to the golf course, we have on occasion played matches against some of my buddies. We have all had fun when we've done this, (and we have not been beaten) but I'm not sure how much the guys like playing with a young girl, so I don't ever push the issue. My brother is about a 14 handicap, and after losing to her on Easter Sunday he is demanding that he get shots from her in our next match...lol!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

She'll turn 14 in a couple months. Our course is strategically difficult, and huge distance off the tee isn't required. You end up shooting for the correct positioning regardless of the tee selection. Over the past year she has gained some pretty good added distance, so from the forward tees she has had to back down from a driver to a 3w, or even a 20* or 23* hybrid. So it was funny how backing up didn't hurt her too bad. The big benefit I see is that her shots are now directly comparable to other golfers that are more experienced (better in many cases) than her. It's so tough for young girls to get experience playing with better players head to head on a routine basis, that joining the guys has worked well. I do ask if they mind, and so far nobody has. I also let them know that no special white glove treatment is necessary, and language isn't an issue. The occasional F-bomb isn't something she hasn't heard before. So we're "keeping it real." It will be interesting to see her move forward again to see if she finds the shorter yardage a big benefit. Many of the summer tournament courses play rather short (city munis).

Since questions pop up all the time about junior equipment, I figured I'd spark some discussion about it in this thread.

We had a lot of success early on with both US Kids equipment and Ping's Moxie series. In her 11 year old year we switched from junior equipment to a custom ordered set of Ping G5 irons.

Since she has gotten bigger and stronger, and can now swing the driver up to 95 mph, I recently purchased my daughter a new custom set of Ping i20 irons with men's regular flex steel shafts. They are 1/2" short of men's standard length, and 3 degrees flat, but were still custom ordered to D0 swing weight. I got her custom pink paintfill for an extra charge of about $8 per club. She loves them and is hitting them very nicely. We were lucky to have some shop credit at our club to offset the expense.

For woods we went with Cleveland's ultralite series....12 degree driver at 44", 17 degree 3 wood and 7 wood both 1/2 inch short of men's standard but standard swing weights. She also has a 25 degree Kasco K2K hybrid and a 28 degree cobra baffler hybrid. Her iron set is 5-Sand wedge, plus a 60 degree Ping iwedge, so we swap the 5 iron in and out with the 28 degree hybrid depending on the course and conditions to stay within the 14 club limit.

Her putter was a Christmas gift, a custom California Series Scotty Cameron Monterey 1.5., with pink and purple paintfill. (Ridiculously priced IMO, but it was what she wanted, and if it keeps her interested and enthused about the game, I'm not gonna complain!)

What are your kids using?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Have a daughter that played competitive golf and ended up playing D-1 golf during her undergrad years. Her high school years were very competitive here in AZ... playing in events with girls like Amanda Blumenhurst and Cheyenne Woods on a weekly basis. The only thing I can add is grades are really important, coaches want mature girls that understand time management. Also as a parent if you do not own a current copy of the PING coleegiate guide... you are behind the power curve. By the sophmore year, your child should have narrowed down her choices to a pool of schools, and have sent a letter of introduction with bio info to the prospective coach. We used the guide to pick the schools that interested her, then calulated which schools would be graduating girls prior to her freshman year... this will let you know how many slots the coach is looking to fill.
Start early on this process, you and your daughter can contact the university, they cannot contact you until Aug after the soph year, if I remember correctly. Good luck and all I can say is it will be worth all the hard work when she starts taking official visits and smiling ear to ear when you pick them up at the airport.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

]
Since questions pop up all the time about junior equipment, I figured I'd spark some discussion about it in this thread.

We had a lot of success early on with both US Kids equipment and Ping's Moxie series. In her 11 year old year we switched from junior equipment to a custom ordered set of Ping G5 irons.

Since she has gotten bigger and stronger, and can now swing the driver up to 95 mph, I recently purchased my daughter a new custom set of Ping i20 irons with men's regular flex steel shafts. They are 1/2" short of men's standard length, and 3 degrees flat, but were still custom ordered to D0 swing weight. I got her custom pink paintfill for an extra charge of about $8 per club. She loves them and is hitting them very nicely. We were lucky to have some shop credit at our club to offset the expense.

For woods we went with Cleveland's ultralite series....12 degree driver at 44", 17 degree 3 wood and 7 wood both 1/2 inch short of men's standard but standard swing weights. She also has a 25 degree Kasco K2K hybrid and a 28 degree cobra baffler hybrid. Her iron set is 5-Sand wedge, plus a 60 degree Ping iwedge, so we swap the 5 iron in and out with the 28 degree hybrid depending on the course and conditions to stay within the 14 club limit.

Her putter was a Christmas gift, a custom California Series Scotty Cameron Monterey 1.5., with pink and purple paintfill. (Ridiculously priced IMO, but it was what she wanted, and if it keeps her interested and enthused about the game, I'm not gonna complain!)

[color="#0000ff"]My daughter's driver clubhead speed is around 90mph. Recently customized Mizuno MP59's from 5-W one inch shorter than men's standard. Graphite shafts with flex between men's regular and seniors. Titleist Vokey wedges with men's regular steel shafts.- 52, 56 and 60 degrees. 9.5 degree TM R11 driver. TM Superfast Burner 3 and 5 woods and 23 degree Burner hybrid. We went with the four wedges and 1 hybrid to maximize scoring on par 5's but we'll reassess this after the season. David Whitlam Gauge Design putter. Bridgestone Tour B330 RX ball.

Like you, we were lucky enough to trade in equipment my daughter won in various tournaments to offset a lot of the expenses.[/color]

I have also had success selling some of her used equipment. Ping equipment especially seems to hold a decent percentage of its value.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[hr][quote name='kvnhlstd' timestamp='1335456063' post='4794018']
Have a daughter that played competitive golf and ended up playing D-1 golf during her undergrad years. Her high school years were very competitive here in AZ... playing in events with girls like Amanda Blumenhurst and Cheyenne Woods on a weekly basis. The only thing I can add is grades are really important, coaches want mature girls that understand time management. Also as a parent if you do not own a current copy of the PING coleegiate guide... you are behind the power curve. By the sophmore year, your child should have narrowed down her choices to a pool of schools, and have sent a letter of introduction with bio info to the prospective coach. We used the guide to pick the schools that interested her, then calulated which schools would be graduating girls prior to her freshman year... this will let you know how many slots the coach is looking to fill.
Start early on this process, you and your daughter can contact the university, they cannot contact you until Aug after the soph year, if I remember correctly. Good luck and all I can say is it will be worth all the hard work when she starts taking official visits and smiling ear to ear when you pick them up at the airport.
[/quote]

Would like to hear more of your experience. My daughter is a sophmore so is just startingt he process. Been in touch with a few coaches. Very interesting conversations. Hard to figure out how interested the coaches really are. Some say they are very interested while others say they have just started the process for our grad year and will shortlist later.

Yes, you are right, coaches cannot email until September of the student's junior year and cannot phone until July of the following year. The other thing is that it seems many top girls are commiting even before they are elegible to take official visits in their senior year.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1335453850' post='4793784']

[/quote]
My daughter is a big Taylormade fan. Just upgraded her irons to keep up with her growing with Burner 2.0s. Super fast driver and 7 wood. Newest purchase is an RBZ 5 hybrid which she almost never misses with. Putter was an Xmas gift a Seemore M1, that I also had engraved.

[quote name='Man In The Miura' timestamp='1335498412' post='4798224']

[/quote]

Maybe a little overboard, but there is pride in ownership. Here's a link to my kid's bag: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/413485-my-daughters-miura-madness/page__hl__miura+madness
[/quote]

Wow...are you a club builder? That is a total custom set and looks awesome. How does she do managing the blades?

I actually think learning to strike blades is a good learning tool for serious juniors. I bought my daughter a set of Hogan Princess blades (complete virtually new set for $29 from an estate sale) that she has used just for practice. They feel great when she compresses the ball, but slight misses give her plenty of feedback and don't fly so well. Can't get away with any Scoops or flips with these babies.

The Pings are clearly superior though For her in terms of ball flight and the ease in which they go through the turf.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[/quote]

I should post it the thread I started - forgive my laziness.

I have 10-year-old girl who switched to PING this year (PING head + junior shaft). She used USKG clubs and started using PING since last summer. She moved gradually - driver first, then wood, hybrid. Then we got weight issue on irons and wedges. I added lead tape on her USKG irons and wedges about few grams/month. I ordered irons with lightest SW (about C7 on 7 with steel shaft). It makes 4-7 grams lighter head weight.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1335524127' post='4799008']

Wow...are you a club builder? That is a total custom set and looks awesome. How does she do managing the blades?

[/quote]

I think once you try Miura tournament blades/wedges, there is no turning back. She only goes up to a 5i, then it's 23* and 20* hybrids, so it's not like she's having to pure a 3i or anything. For the little bit of extra expense for custom clubs, I think it is completely worth it. All doubt about the soundness of one's equipment is removed.

The bad part is that when we purchased these, the builder asked if she wanted conforming grooves, and we said, "Naah." If she does decide to pursue golf to a higher level, there might be one more set of clubs affecting my bank account. Dang.