2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Distance and handicaps for 14 year olds

[quote name='SirHackAlot' timestamp='1335900479' post='4825602']
[quote name='miuratiteleist55' timestamp='1335895188' post='4825038']
Im 12 and I play off 14.I Drive the ball about 220 and the longest drive ever was 285.I play in Ireland which is hard at the course i play at about 300 days a year are windy.I dont believe the kid who said he was playing off 3 no way!Im playing about a year as well and im about 5"2.
[/quote]

lol..i thought we all understood that the kid who started this thread is no way being honest...

3.7 index after 10 months? he's either being very selective of scores he posts or he's playing a pitch and putt course everyday...

sub 4 indexes can go to tracks over 7,000 yards and shoot low 70's...hitting the ball as short as he does will never allow him to score in single digits on a course of any decent length....i THOUGHT that was obvious when i first read his post :)

btw tony, my 16 year old lifts weights four days a week in an "early bird" program they have at his high school...he is solid muscle and has been focusing on "explosive" weight training suggested for competitive golf, and...

while he hits the ball a ton, he rarely breaks 90...long and in the trees is no way to shoot low scores...lol
[/quote]

Dude you said he was 120lbs?! Hardly a tank now at that weight, sorry unless i see it with my eyes im not believing the hype your boy can smack it 300 :)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Ireland

What do you think are the weight requirements to hit the ball a long distance? Jamie Sadlowski weighs about 160 and carries it 400...

15 year old here in Calgary swings at 112 miles per hour. He just shot 69,68 to win a tournament in Alberta this past weekend. He's 5'8" and not 130 lbs in a soaking wet wool sweater. I was watching him on flight scope and his worst swing was still 108 mph. His ball speed was over 160 every single time.

I know some juniors stretch the truth. I would not dispute that claim. I'm just saying that there's more to speed than body mass.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1335915490' post='4827332']
Tony Ireland

What do you think are the weight requirements to hit the ball a long distance? Jamie Sadlowski weighs about 160 and carries it 400...

15 year old here in Calgary swings at 112 miles per hour. He just shot 69,68 to win a tournament in Alberta this past weekend. He's 5'8" and not 130 lbs in a soaking wet wool sweater. I was watching him on flight scope and his worst swing was still 108 mph. His ball speed was over 160 every single time.

I know some juniors stretch the truth. I would not dispute that claim. I'm just saying that there's more to speed than body mass.
[/quote]

No weigh requirements to hit the ball a long distance, i dont care what Jamie weighs, the kids a freak (big difference in 120 and 160lbs by the way)...All i said is i have to see it to believe it, ive never seen a 15 yr old 120lb kid on a course hit driver anywhere near 300, so yeah i would like to see it with my own eyes

Tony Ireland

[/quote]

He hits his COMPETITION driver with a 400 yard carry. He hits his regular driver with a 350 carry. Just to give you a perspective on how big of a swing he has his ball speed is 218 mph. Probably about 60-80 mph more than a 14 year old.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1333506081' post='4644599']
Hi I'm 9 years old, 87 pounds, and play to a +4.7 handicap and I hit them ball 360 average. How about you guys?
[/quote]

Hahahaha rofl ? took the words out of my mouth brosky!

Driver: Tour Issued TaylorMade M4, 9.1 Deg // Matrix VLCT 60g X flex
3 Wood: Tour Issued TaylorMade M1, 3HL 17.1 Deg // Diamana D+ 82g X flex
3 Iron: Adams DHY 21 Deg // Matrix White Tie 83g X Flex
Irons: TaylorMade MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Callaway MD4, 52, 56 & 60 // TT DG Tour Issued S200
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 
Bag: Titelst StaDry

Grip: GolfPride MCC Team Red/Yellow (Calgary Flames colors)

Tony Ireland

[/quote]

Believe that. Im 17 and not big in size. Im as tall as Mike Cammalleri. I weigh about 140-145. I fly it 280. Size doesnt matter. Its flexibility with this game. The best junior golfer in Michigan is not the biggest kid in the world and he straight up rips it. All that matters is if ya can shoot the score. Distance just is a big help thats about it. Go Flames Go

Driver: Tour Issued TaylorMade M4, 9.1 Deg // Matrix VLCT 60g X flex
3 Wood: Tour Issued TaylorMade M1, 3HL 17.1 Deg // Diamana D+ 82g X flex
3 Iron: Adams DHY 21 Deg // Matrix White Tie 83g X Flex
Irons: TaylorMade MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Callaway MD4, 52, 56 & 60 // TT DG Tour Issued S200
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 
Bag: Titelst StaDry

Grip: GolfPride MCC Team Red/Yellow (Calgary Flames colors)

[quote name='Tony_Ireland' timestamp='1335796476' post='4814770']
[quote name='theLeftyBeast' timestamp='1333505571' post='4644535']
2 handicap
260 carry 280ish total
5'8 120
13 yrs old
[/quote]

Sorry but i have a hard time believing that, 13 yr old 120lbs hitting it 280, gimme a break
[/quote]

On a legit trackman With my coach my swingspeed was
108. Carry was what I originally stated rolled out to about the same. I lift 6 days a week for football and or baseball. I generate a lot of speed.

Titleist 910 D2 w/ Fubuki
Ping i15 3w w/stock X
Ping Anser 3-W
Ping Glide 52, Vokey SM5 K Grind 58
Ping Ketsch or Odyssey pt82 LE

[quote name='Mikey K' timestamp='1336159935' post='4849414']
Tony Ireland

[/quote]

He hits his COMPETITION driver with a 400 yard carry. He hits his regular driver with a 350 carry. Just to give you a perspective on how big of a swing he has his ball speed is 218 mph. Probably about 60-80 mph more than a 14 year old.
[/quote]
Actually let me give you some perspective. I grew up 30 mins from Jamie . I played with him when he was 14,15,and 16. At 14 he was about 125 pounds and was carrying it over 300 with a regulation driver and ball speeds over 180. He was hitting 5 iron 250. By 16 he was weighing about 140 max and won the world junior long drive. I played in two scrambles in his group so I've seen it pretty close up. In the Bonnyville/St.Paul area of Alberta, hockey is pretty big. There are at least 25 guys in the moose lake cash scramble each year with swing speeds over 125 and most of them are 16-20 year olds that weigh under 170. Leverage and core speed is where it comes from. If u haven't seen it with your own eyes then fine but why call someone out? All it does is make you look bad...

10 handicap
230 carry 245 total

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

16, junior in highschool

6,2 155. swing speed around 117. carry around 285, 300 with roll. i play off a 4, but its getting lower. hoping to get to scratch over summer.

i also play baseball so my swing is very long, but ive played enough to learn to control it. never had a lesson and dont plan on it. i will put a video up eventually.

s9-1 pro s 8.5 v2 76 x
s9-1 pro 15 vs proto 80x
spalding tour 1 iron s300
rac mb tp 3-pw x100
vokey 52,56
scotty tel 3 long neck

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like an official 'driving distance' service would be invaluable. I wonder if Golf Galaxy could set that up for say, $5.00/shot....give it your best shot, or pay more more, lol (and let it give the average distance and standard deviation), you get your name/Golfwrx ID/driving distance posted on an internet web site, then you can refer to your official driving distance (of course it would be on an indoor swing monitor, and that lends itself to more issues).

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Oh I wasn't talking about the kids ages 15+.. I mean the kids 14 and under don't hit it 280usually.. But there was a kid from my state who hit it 300 by age 12... The kids at the us junior weren't that long off the tee, with the exception of Spieth and a few others.

Just cause you cant hit it 280-300 doesn't mean noone can by that age

I hit my first 300 yard drive when i was 11

LOL, Wakeusam is a classic GolfWRXer in the making, a 300yd drive a age 11 :cheesy:. I believe he forgot to mention that it was waaaaay downhill down wind and no one but his mom or dad was there to confirm it.

It wasn't.

WOW...

Are you serious?

I hit it perfect.

It was straight into the wind. However, the fairways there are like concrete, I'll be honest. I'm 13 now and I easy hit it consistently 270-290. Not everyone is lying.rolleyes.gif

[quote name='acgolfer' timestamp='1336705624' post='4892980']
16, junior in highschool

6,2 155. swing speed around 117. carry around 285, 300 with roll. i play off a 4, but its getting lower. hoping to get to scratch over summer.

i also play baseball so my swing is very long, but ive played enough to learn to control it. never had a lesson and dont plan on it. i will put a video up eventually.
[/quote]

Bubba Watson swings 115-120. 117 would make it go alot further than 300.

This thread is becoming pathetic and making juniors as a whole look bad.

How about this: not everyone will believe everything. Maybe some people are telling the truth, maybe some are lying, but there is no real way to tell. I don't think anyone is going to die if someones says they are 10, 20 or 50 yards longer than they actually are. Let's just calm down and stop attacking each other.

BTW, a lot of you guys are light. Who knows, maybe us Minnesota boys are fat :dntknw: .

[quote name='dplevin' timestamp='1338763535' post='5024146']

How about this: not everyone will believe everything. Maybe some people are telling the truth, maybe some are lying, but there is no real way to tell. I don't think anyone is going to die if someones says they are 10, 20 or 50 yards longer than they actually are. Let's just calm down and stop attacking each other.

BTW, a lot of you guys are light. Who knows, maybe us Minnesota boys are fat :dntknw: .
[/quote]
+1
BTW that would be good for hibernation in those cold winters

[quote name='Iplaxidentlyshotmyself' timestamp='1338817494' post='5027272']
[quote name='dplevin' timestamp='1338763535' post='5024146']

[/quote]
+1
BTW that would be good for hibernation in those cold winters
[/quote]

Never thought of it that way, but I guess it works

• 2 weeks later...

ProJuniorGolfer, you seem to be new to GolfWRX, but let me help you understand a bit about this site. Lots of people lie about their distances. Some have never hit that far, but want to be cool, others have hit one off the cart path downhill, downwind and swinging out of their shoes that have gone 290 and then proceed to say they hit 300 yd drives. It's sad, but it's chronic on here and only gets worse when juniors carry on the torch.

There are many things that are changing at around that time that makes things "unfair". I'm not saying this guy for sure hit it 300 yards at 11, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it either. Maybe the dude hit puberty at an extremely young age. I knew a dude that had a full on man beard in 8th, maybe even 7th grade. Many men twice the age of a 7th/8th grader can't grow much more than peach fuzz. Does that mean that 12 year old kid can't grow a full beard? No. I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Maybe he was taller and stronger than the average 11 year old. Maybe all the planets aligned and he put a good swing on the ball and happened to catch it dead on the sweet spot. It's highly unlikely, but entirely possible that an 11 year old hit one 300 yards. Just because a certain 12 year old can only hit the ball 250 (which is pretty dang far, especially for a 12 year old), no matter how good they are, doesn't mean someone a little younger can't hit it much further.

It seems highly unlikely, not impossible. I think under normal conditions there is no way, it requires high swing speeds and good amounts of mass behind the ball. Most people that grow that quickly at a young age have trouble with their coordination, and I know some big, strong, athletic 17 year old good golfers that are lucky to hit it 275. There is a junior or senior in our high school conference that hits about 300 yards, he is 17, and legendary because of it. The ay wakeusam puts it makes it seem like this is not an abnormal occurrence. There is just a lot that doesn't add up.

On a side note, I know what you mean about the man-children. In a peewee hockey tournament (7th and 8th grade), I played against a guy that was 6'3" and had a full chinstrap beard. I was scared (explicative)less so I just stayed away from him the entire game. I was 5'6" or 5'7" and weighed a whopping 110 or 115.black%20eye.gif

Seriously! I have said im not trying to say that i average 300

even now at 13 i only average 270-280

I definitely have the strength i have a 102 mph ss w/ my driver and when i catch it really well straight downwind yeah i can get it out there 300

[quote name='wakeusam' timestamp='1339591167' post='5083368']
Seriously! I have said im not trying to say that i average 300
even now at 13 i only average 270-280
I definitely have the strength i have a 102 mph ss w/ my driver and when i catch it really well straight downwind yeah i can get it out there 300
[/quote]

102 ss averaging 270-280? You either play at high altititude or on hard pan.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that these junior players can really generate a lot of distance with the driver. If they are properly fitted and play a lot, drives over 280 are possible for 15/16 year olds.

My son is 11, is 5'2" tall, weighs 100 lbs and can routinely drive over 200 yards. I can't wait to see what he can do in 5 to 6 years.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter