2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon XV vs. TM Penta TP 3

HydePark

I have looked and not found a thread dedicated to comparing these two balls. I'm curious what folks think, though -- those who have played both. I have been doing fine with the TP 3, but I have "fallen into" some XV's and am curious about them.

So, please join in, if so inclined. I thank you in advance and look forward to "the lessons"!

HydePark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HydePark' timestamp='1335802843' post='4815460']
I have looked and not found a thread dedicated to comparing these two balls. I'm curious what folks think, though -- those who have played both. I have been doing fine with the TP 3, but I have "fallen into" some XV's and am curious about them.

So, please join in, if so inclined. I thank you in advance and look forward to "the lessons"!

HydePark
[/quote]

I think the TP3 is closer to the regular Z-Star. I've played both and prefer the TP3.

I played a few holes yesterday with the XV. Although my driver ss is around 90, first results indicate the XV is longer off the tee than TP 3 -- and stands up in the wind well. Less spin off the driver as well, at least yesterday. As to the irons, nice spin from out in the fairway. Also soft with floating-over-hill pitches in close, and the roll on chips does not have as much bite in it as the TP3. The ball rolls out more, in other words, which, as a bump-and-runner, is a style I prefer. As to the putter, it's a little softer feeling than TP3, but also still plenty firm -- if that makes sense. I like it off the putter and putted well with it -- distance wise.

Iron distance (as in, can a guy with a ss like mine get my usual length with irons?) -- jury still out there. Distances were as expected for each iron, with maybe a couple of them a little longer than usual. I'll wait and see before drawing final conclusions. I know with the ProV1x, which I see this one compared to, while my driver distance was greater, irons were a tad shorter. I don't see that same thing with the XV, but will wait to finalize that conclusion until I play at least 18.

I know this is designed for higher ss than mine, but I like the feel and distance; I appreciate the support off the tee. I can work the ball off the tee, but w/out over-reaction. Nice ball. More expensive than TP 3, but might be worth it. I'm getting a sleeve of the white one's (not one who wants to use the yellow -- although happy for others to like that color) -- and trying a couple of rounds.

Oh, yeah. The test yesterday was just 9 holes, but the cover seems very durable. I've noticed [u]some[/u] TP3's like to turn a dingy gray/green, even when washed. I like getting a few rounds out of a ball, if I can stay out of the water and off of the cart paths. One thing I miss about the Prov1 is the durability. So far -- and I see this view supported in some other posts -- the XV is durable. Perhaps then the extra buck a ball might be worth it, long term.

Best to all.

HydePark

i've tried all of the new balls (except the Wilson FG) and the TP3 and XV really aren't the same class. while the XV is a great ball that i played many many rounds with in 2011, i'd put it closer to the TP5 in comparison due to their lower driver spin and harder compression (they perform very similar for my game). the TP3 on the other hand would better compare (as suggested earlier) to the regular Z Star and ProV1 as they share similar dynamics - lower compression and higher spin. honestly, i have fallen out of favor recently to the higher priced tour balls that i used to prefer due to their low driver spin/ harsh feeling. however, i am now getting much better results out of the balls *suggested for my SS (avg. ~104).

this month i started narrowing the testing down to a select few and focusing on some of the non-tour balls which are yielding pretty good results. where i used to think i was getting good performance, these lower compression balls are simply working better for me.

i share your views around the TP3's issues in the wind- some of the other new balls aren't as glaring (specifically the Chrome). good luck out there.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

Ok. Today I played the XV 18 holes on a windy day. When I hit it right, driver distance was good. Not mind-blowingly long, but good -- and, as before, longer than the TP3. At 90 mph ss or so, I'm not the poster boy for the XV, but I've had that ss for years and years, and I was fine with the old Titleist 100 compression ball sometimes, though I played the 90 mostly. If this were the old days, the XV would be a 100 compression ball, I believe. Some websites I've visited confirm that point. Whatever the case, I'm not losing driving distance on this ball; I'll say that -- and a couple of times, when I hit it right (not the best day, though I "grinded" through it just fine), I enjoyed the distance boost the XV likes to provide. In fact, as the day progressed, so too did my contact. All is well, then, with this ball off the driver, including the feel -- which I do not experience as "hard." I can feel the XV flatten out, nice and smooth -- a sensation I don't enjoy so much with those softer balls out there -- off the driver or the putter. I don't mind solid -- the XV is a solid that gives, if that makes sense. I like the contact -- and, being specific, I like it better than the TP3.

As to irons -- a concern I had after 9 holes -- I see no impact on distance there, such as I have experienced sometimes with the ProV1x (which also is long for me off the tee). Distances were spot on -- and the ball checked up on the green just fine. I'm not looking for all kinds of spin when the ball hits. Just let it hit, spin back a foot or so -- or forward -- and I'm fine. This ball does that. I never have to look far for the ball mark I need to repair.

It's still great feeling off the putter, and I putted well today -- the inconsistent long game made it so I had to putt well, if you know what I mean..

As I play a sort of mix of 80s "the Haig" blades w/Fujikura shafts fitted between R and S flex, I can still enjoy the "bump and run" off those old blades -- and this ball likes bumping-and-running very much. I can report four saves as a result -- from varying distances. I see someone has started a thread about TP 3 chips/runners not spinning, as some claim. For me, they do spin more than I'd like. It's one or two bites on a bump-and-run or chip, followed by a few feet of release -- and then what happens, happens. I can't predict that kind of mojo. The XV "just does it," from face of the club -- such as 6-iron, which is great from 10 yards or so off the green. Really enjoying that feature of the ball, in combination with the putting -- which the bump-and-run is really an extension of, as I experience it anyway.

As to durability, one of my few well struck, but pushed 4-irons hit the cart path, so a little road rash after. I kept playing it anyway, with no bad effects. The rest of the ball stayed like new.

I understand Skaargard's (hope that's spelled correctly) point that these are two different kind of balls, the TP3 and the XV, but my motivation for trying both was to get a ball that did not over-react with driver spin, including in the wind -- and that didn't over-spin around the greens, and also felt solid off the putter (very important). So far, these two have come the closest to what I've been looking for, and the XV is the better of the two for my game -- near as I can tell after 27 holes anyway.

End of update. Thanks -- and best to all!

HydePark