What brand makes the best carry/stand bags?

I find this thread interesting as I'm in the market for a new bag myself.

I walk as much as I can and have been using Ping hoofer's for many years. In the past I've used a Sun mountain.

If there's anything better than the hoofer I'd sure like to know how and why. My vote would be for another Hoofer.

The only thing I can say I don't like about my hoofer bag is that it says in large print " Ping" all over it. Haven't owned a Ping club in over 20 years. Not to say Ping doesn't make nice clubs just haven't found any that match my game.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been rocking the first gen Hoofer for 12+ years now, played a ton in high school and college, caddied during this time, and all of the guys I worked/played with still to this day use the old hoofers. All my zippers still work, the legs are still legit, and there are no rips. It's a shame they changed the straps on the new one.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1332428166' post='4556378']
I'd like to see more divider options from Sun Mountain's stand bags. Seems like there's either 4 way or 14 way which is the extreme on both sides of the spectrum.
[/quote]
[size="5"][/size]
Bingo. Just pulled the trigger on the SM 3.5 and that is the only thing I would change. Would like 6 way divider.

[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1332963543' post='4600249']
My take is this (from personal experience and working in a golf store for 4 years several years ago).

Sun Mountain bags are a great mix of lightweight and durability.
Ogio bags are heavier but, generally, hold up better and have more features.
PING bags will last forever but are frustrating as hell to use. The leg system is goofy, the strap system is odd and the clubs seem to always get stuck towards the end.

I have a PING but will soon be switching to Sun Mountain or Ogio.
[/quote]
Ended up with a Sun Mountain Four 5. Lightweight, durable and I like the tangle-free 14 dividers.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had a Wilson Staff Tour Carry bag for three years now and it has served me well for about 300 rounds of carrying. I was a bit disappointed to notice that it has now begun to tear apart right next to one of the shoulder strap attachments. Now I'm thinking it might be better to replace the bag now and keep the W/S as a back-up bag while it still has some life in it.

I carry the bag for about a 100 rounds a year, put it on a push cart only when it's very probable it's going to rain (only a couple of times a year).

Some of the things I would find important in a bag:

- A good club divider
- Well-thought pockets (bigger ones being large enough to hold a sweater and a rain coat)
- Durability
- Shoulder straps that aren't ruined after a couple of rounds in the rain (happened to my W/S)
- Comfortability
- Weight isn't a big issue

At the moment I have Ping woods and a putter and Titleist irons and wedges so my options have come down to:

- Ping Latitude (I was surprised to read of all the good experiences with Ping bags)
- Ogio Ozone XX (I'm worried of durability but excited of the Woode divider)
- Sun Mountain H2NO/Titleist StaDry (Divider and looks are somewhat of a turn-off)

Is there something else I should be looking at, non-waterproof bags from SunMountain/Titleist maybe? I'd love a Vokey Design bag btw.

Any thoughts are welcome. Cheers!

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a Callaway Hawkeye bag for about 10 years now. It's made by Ogio (for Callaway) and it has been an awesome bag. I cleaned it up this winter and you could almost sell it as new if it wasn't for the odd scratches on the base. The straps seem ergonomic enough to let you play 36 holes in a day without discomfort. I'm intrigued by Ogio's new 'Chamber' Device which keeps each club in place to avoid that 'jangling' of club heads. Also the suspension straps which I know are nothing new. I'm suprised people are saying they lack quality given my experience with them!

Can't vote for Ogio, I just sent back a Grom. I can deal with the weight, and with the terrible legs. But the straps are clearly not built to support a bag of that weight. When you've got it loaded up, the large strap ring just stretches until the straps pop straight off the bag. It happened 2 or 3 times a round, and having had it less than a month I was less than pleased, and ordered a SM 4.5. This has none of the weight issues, no leg issues, no nothing. I prefer the look of the Grom, but in every other area the 4.5 beats it into the ground. The only bad points I can find with the 4.5 (after only one round, admittedly):

Drinks pocket is poorly positioned - my sports bottle rubs against my arse. Supposedly better than the 2012 version, but still. It's also unnervingly loose, which is a shame because the Grom bottle pouch was absolutely perfect (for my bottle).
Ball pocket is gigantic. I could probably fit 50 balls in that monster. Same goes for the tee pocket. Some people might consider both those a plus, but I will literally lose things in those.
Sorry SM but your branding/general aesthetics need some serious work.

Otherwise it is superior to the Grom in every category I can think of, I highly recommend it.

Had a Ping Hoofer for almost ten years without any issues. Didn't like the SM bag cuz I will also ride from time to time. I hated the way the bag sat in a cart. Ended up going with a Ping Hoofer C-1. Very disappointed in the bag. The ball pocket ripped from being a very thin material. Then the fabric started to rip at the straps, as if there was too much weight. Lastly the spine started to stick out the bottom. Thru Golfsmith, I had them contact Ping directly. Not only did they replace the bag, they replaced it with the new E2. I couldn't be happier with Ping and their customer service. I'm also very happy with the changes in the bag design. Big step up from the C-1.

I tried Ping Hoofer, Latitude and Ogio Ozone XX. I really couldn't feel comfortable carrying the Ping bags while Ozone felt very good. I love the Woode divider with handle, shoulder straps, pockets and pretty much everything in the bag.

The only problem is that the legs really are terrible in Ozone but for me, it still was the best bag available.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Since picking up the game, I had always used Ping bags. I like how the legs work on their bags. And don't really like the kick stand that just about all other companies use. However, I was itching for a new bag about 5-6 years ago. At the time I was playing MP-60's, so I figured I'd give a Mizuno bag a try. The "kabuki" 7-way divider is MONEY. Love having dedicated slots for my driver and putter. Kind of want a new bag now and am going to have a hard time going away from the kabuki divider.

Still gaming the same bag (and irons) today. Haven't found any irons that wow me enough to take them out of the bag. But that's a different discussion...

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=1282076:stitch08.jpg]

[attachment=1277972:JonesBlack.jpg]

Now that the Jones Bags have been re-introduced, I have to give the nod to them. If you are not familiar with them do a search on "Jones Bag" to see more info about them. The also offer emroidery and silk screening if you are so inclined.

I found perfectly matching headcovers from Stitch Golf.

The Jones Bag, In my view, is the poor man's Mackenzie Walker.

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='hokieputter' timestamp='1340660881' post='5165980']
Since picking up the game, I had always used Ping bags. I like how the legs work on their bags. And don't really like the kick stand that just about all other companies use. However, I was itching for a new bag about 5-6 years ago. At the time I was playing MP-60's, so I figured I'd give a Mizuno bag a try. The "kabuki" 7-way divider is MONEY. Love having dedicated slots for my driver and putter. Kind of want a new bag now and am going to have a hard time going away from the kabuki divider.

Still gaming the same bag (and irons) today. Haven't found any irons that wow me enough to take them out of the bag. But that's a different discussion...
[/quote]

I love my Mizuno aerolite bag for the Kabuki divider too. The clubs practically organize themselves with these dividers. Also, a putter well is hard to find on lightweight carry bags these days. This bag is the only bag I've found that's about 4 pounds AND has a putter well. Been using mine for 4+ years now.

If you are left handed, Sun Mountain is the only choice. They are the only people who make bags for lefties. I had two Ping Hoofers,and I loved them both, but nothing compares to a left handed SM 3.5 carry/stand bag.

Now if you want the best carry bag, there is one choice: [size=6][color=#FF0000][b]Mackenzie[/b][/color][/size]

The cheaper #2 choice: [color=#000080][size=5]Jones[/size][/color]

Really lovin my new Jones Range Bag! Did quite a bit of walking around the Heron Bay Practice Facility with it over the weekend.. Interesting that it is designed to be carried backwards verses how bags are normally carried. Very comfortable to stroll around with the bag carried that way.

Check out the "How to carry a Jones Bag Video" at the Jones Bag website. [url="http://www.jonesgolfbags.com"]http://www.jonesgolfbags.com[/url]/

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Anyone else have recommendations on carry bags that aren't a big brand name??

Trying to decide between a hoofer and the SM Swift X but really don't like blazing a huge PING/Sun Mountain logo. Right now I'm gaming this knock off Paragon with zero logos that has suited me well for past 2 yrs. However stand is out of whack and it's tiem for a change.

I have had a SM SLX for a few months and like it a lot. My only real complaint is the beverage pocket is to small. I think a 32oz Nalgene bottle should be the default standard on the pocket, that way some of the larger sport drink bottles would also fit. One thing I will say for you fellas considering a SM carry bag...THE SEPERATE STRAPS IS THE WAY TO GO, it is so much more comfortable and convenient than the backpack style The straps rest in a more natural position and being able to carry it single strap comes in handy a lot.