2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Am I really hurting myself by using random balls?

Ajlepisto

I can't remember the last time I bought a box of balls.
I recently got back into golf, after a few years off. I've been playing really consistently for the past few months, and I think I've made some really good leaps. Today I shot +5 on 9 holes. That's about average for me, as I am in the low-mid 80's, mostly due to poor putting, and making stupid mistakes and hitting terrible chip shots that leave me really long puts for par or occasional birdie.

Anyway, I have just been using balls that we had around the house. I fight a slice...and when I get tired I tend to let it come out more. It moves about 6-7 yards left to right. Off the tee it can move something like 25 yards. Safe play for me is to just compensate and let it fly...and I hit fairways 90% of the time.

My swing speed is 105-108mph with a driver, and 89mph with a 7 iron.

After doing a ton of reading on this forum, I'm thinking a decent ball would be the Bridgestone e6...anyone have a suggestion?

Or, is picking a decent ball going to make that big of a deal? Sometimes I wish that shots I hit would stop on the green. I tend to have a high flight and sometimes the balls just keep rolling, even with a 9 iron dropped from the clouds.

Sorry for all the info and questions...I'm just not sure if any of this is relevant. I'm new to the technical aspects of the game...always just played.

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of all the random balls you end up with one you like. Buy THAT one and get used to playing it. That's what everyone does.

When you get used to it, they'll change it or stop making it.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I don't sweat too much which ball I play. I play lower mid range balls, AD333, Wilson DX2 or DX3 Soft, Pinnacle Gold FX Soft or Dimension, Nike Juice, PD Soft, NXTs or DT Solos etc. Not a very esteemed lot, but I do buy boxes of the one ball and play it for a year or whatever before moving on. Basically whatever is on special in that bracket when I need to restock.

You kinda sub-consciously adjust to what ever traits the ball has and get on with it. But at least you get some form of consistency. If you fall in love with the one ball you can keep going back to it

I recommend a ball fitting if they come around. Also, if you are playing mostly "found" balls or older balls...your game will improve IMO with some of the newer balls. Many good ones can be had for a song during model change...some really good deals out there.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

If thats all you can afford then do it but playing with a ball you feel comfortable with will help you score better. When your trying the different balls and all of a sudden have that special round and say to your self, this is the ball for me, play that ball. This would build more confidence and consistency in you game and especially in putting. Some of the balls that your using from around the house may have lost their livelyness also!!

I could't have said it any better...

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1335771672' post='4813820']
I think by playing random golf balls you're huting your score......

Keeping everything consistant in golf is key. By playing the same ball, over and over again, you can build confidence knowing how each shot should react.
[/quote]

You don't necessarily have to stick with one ball, but I would suggest sticking with the same type of ball every time.

If your biggest concern is a slice that sometimes turns into a SLICE, then something like the E6 would definitely be a good choice. Titleist NXT, Callaway HX Diablo, Srixon Trispeed or AD333 would all probably fall into the same category -- straight balls, but still with some feel.

Especially with your short game, you don't want to be jumping from a pure distance ball to a "straight" ball to a "tour" ball, etc. Staying within Bridgestone, a chip shot with a B330S might bounce twice and roll another 5 feet before stopping -- the same chip with an E6 might hop 3-4 times and then roll out another 12 feet before stopping because you can't put as much backspin on it. But that same chip with any of the balls I listed above would have nearly identical results among the group.

So if you want to go with the best deals you can get, just put together a list of balls that are all similar in performance, and keep an eye out for sales/closeouts. You can also find previous generations of these balls for a lot cheaper.

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1335770206' post='4813804']
I recently got back into golf, after a few years off. I've been playing really consistently for the past few months, and I think I've made some really good leaps. Today I shot +5 on 9 holes. That's about average for me, as I am in the low-mid 80's, [b][size="5"]mostly due to poor putting, [/size][/b]
[/quote]

I clicked on this thread for the sole purpose of telling you using different balls will make putting problematic at best. Pick one ball, one you PUTT WELL with to start with, and play it. Changing balls, using one of these, one of them, may be fine off the driver and to a lesser degree iron shots. But I promise you it will kill your distance control on the putting green.

-Dan

I voted no but after thinking about it I say, maybe. I was fitted with the Pro V1x a few years back as I tend to hit a fade and the Pro that fit me said I would get a little less side spin. I have been playing other balls lately due to low temps, 65 or less, for better compression. Anyway, maybe some of my misses would have been better with a less spinning ball. So, the point is about sacrifice/compromise. You might sacrifice/compromise one thing for another. I would say stay with a ball within your range, i.e. two piece or high end performance... assuming they have similar characteristics.

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1335825342' post='4818626']
I recently got back into golf, after a few years off. I've been playing really consistently for the past few months, and I think I've made some really good leaps. Today I shot +5 on 9 holes. That's about average for me, as I am in the low-mid 80's, [b][size="5"]mostly due to poor putting, [/size][/b]
[/quote]

I clicked on this thread for the sole purpose of telling you using different balls will make putting problematic at best. Pick one ball, one you PUTT WELL with to start with, and play it. Changing balls, using one of these, one of them, may be fine off the driver and to a lesser degree iron shots. But I promise you it will kill your distance control on the putting green.

-Dan

[/quote]

You know, I never really thought about it, but there have been times I could have sworn that I hit two shots the same, and they reacted significantly different. I always thought I just needed more feel, but maybe you're onto something.

Short game has been killing me...but maybe I should be looking for a ball I can spin. I usually drive around 290, so distance isn't really too important...I think like most people, short game is where I will see the biggest improvement.

I was in your shoes a few months back, often playing the smorgasbord of balls that have found their way into my bag over the years (from leftover from older purchases, balls found on course, or those [u]mistakenly[/u] borrowed from golf partners). For the last several years, I found no reason to depart from this part of may game. However, once I switched, I will never go back to the day in which I would just grab a random ball and play. Regardless of the ball that you end up choosing, you will experience consistency all levels of your game. Ever hit a "good" 7 iron that doesn't seem to fly as well as a good 7 iron normally does? Using the same ball consistently will ensure a similar distance on shots, roll out on short irons, and the amount of spin (slice/hook) on your drives.

Just my two cents.

IMO - yes you'll likely hurt your score.

You can grab 2 different golf balls and hit an 8 iron 10 yards different. I don't see how that wouldn't hurt your score. And short game will be just as tough if not tougher. Trying to judge roll out on chips and trying to putt consistently.... no way.

I do know a couple guys that somewhat play random balls but it's more like the poster mozgolf above. They might not play the same ball all the time but they at least buy a few sleeves or a dozen at a time and while you might have a few unexpected results with that first ball as you're getting used to it, you do ultimately get use to it and adjust accordingly.

I agree with darkhelmet. find a type of ball and try to play that type, even if they're found on the course.

But I think yeah,...if you have any kind of decent swing that can get any kind of decent contact, playing the same *type* ball is key.

You know how I narrowed down my ball search? I started paying attention to the balls that I lost the least, so it was like natural selection. Weird to say, that for all the TMAG marketing hype and hate, they seem to be the ball for me and it's no contest (so far)

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1335825342' post='4818626']
[/quote]

-Dan

+1000

Someone beat me to the most important part, distance control while putting

Here is an interesting piece of info. When inserts started to be used in putter faces one of the golf magazines decide to do a study of how much these affected distance on puts. So they set up a putting macine used a non insert , soft insert and hard insert faced putter. Then almost as an after thought they used three different balls, hard distance, medium grade and tour level balls. Their biggest suprise and this was with all putter types was the [size=4]different balls were what gave the most variation, as much as 2 ft on 20 ft putts.[/size][size=1] [/size][size=2]So using random balls will give you random distances with the same exact perfect putting stroke. This only makes a difference if you don't want to 3 & 4 putt. Just find a ball you like and stick with it.[/size]

[/quote]

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Maybe not a game changer, but it depends on what type of strokes you're trying to shave. My daughter and I have gone so far as to commit to practicing with the same balls we play. The strokes we're tring to shave come from around the green, and we're trying to master the check and stop. For that one cannot be bouncing from a ProV to a Nike PD.

As has been mentioned, putting feel is also a big deal. The same ball will help with distance control.

Well, I bit the bullet and went to get a box to see what I'd like.

It's not mental, I see a huge difference. Especially on shots with wedges...I used to have fits stopping them in the one-putt range, but after practicing today I'm stopping the ball on a dime. I went with the older box of the Bridgestone 330-S, and I really like them.

Some balls definitely feel better than others. However, I play with a guy who I have never seen buy a golf ball. He uses any brand he finds on the course and scores consistently in the mid 70s. According to him it is a matter of course management and not the ball. I can't say I agree, but, he kicks my butt 3 times a week.

the putting thing makes sense.

Also, ball inconsistency is one of the main factors in what range i go to. if a bucket is made up of random balls, from rocks to superballs, how consistent can the practice work really be?

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

I recently got back into golf, after a few years off. I've been playing really consistently for the past few months, and I think I've made some really good leaps. Today I shot +5 on 9 holes. That's about average for me, as I am in the low-mid 80's, mostly due to poor putting, and making stupid mistakes and hitting terrible chip shots that leave me really long puts for par or occasional birdie.

Anyway, I have just been using balls that we had around the house. I fight a slice...and when I get tired I tend to let it come out more. It moves about 6-7 yards left to right. Off the tee it can move something like 25 yards. Safe play for me is to just compensate and let it fly...and I hit fairways 90% of the time.

My swing speed is 105-108mph with a driver, and 89mph with a 7 iron.

After doing a ton of reading on this forum, I'm thinking a decent ball would be the [color="#1c2837"][size="2"]Bridgestone e6...anyone have a suggestion?[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]
[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]Or, is picking a decent ball going to make that big of a deal? Sometimes I wish that shots I hit would stop on the green. I tend to have a high flight and sometimes the balls just keep rolling, even with a 9 iron dropped from the clouds.[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]Sorry for all the info and questions...I'm just not sure if any of this is relevant. I'm new to the technical aspects of the game...always just played.[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]Thanks![/size][/color]
[/quote]

I think it depends on your skill level.

I started playing about 1 year ago and for the first 6 months I couldn't tell the difference from a pro v1 and a top flite.

Now I can defintely tell the difference. Here lately I have been exhausting my supply of Bridgestone e6. It's straight off the tee and putts well. My only complaint is the e6 tends to roll out on approach shots with anything longer than 9 iron.

I recently picked up a box of 20XI-X and these are longer off the tee and hop and stop on the greens.