Finalist's WITB: 4/5/2013 Damascus Byron, Scratch TD

Byron Morgan | Don White | Jeff McCoy | Wally Uihlein
April 5 2013 Update: Byron 612 XD back side. Check out the new Coyote stamp based on the coyote that lives across the street from Byron's shop, and watches over putter orders. http://byronputters.com/updates/ New head covers too!

March 19 2013 Update: Byron 612 XD in hand. Damascus neck, rolled top line...

612 Damascus Neck on the left. 612 German Steel neck on the right. Both are high polished Blue Oil.

March 13 2013 Update: Byron putter taking shape. Pics on page 4.

November 30 2012 Update: Travis Mathew Jones Bag (pic on page 3). The first impression the moment I had all my gear in the bag and picked it up was, "Holly 5hit this is light!" AND I mean it is a VERY light set up. I can't wait to walk with this bag. After a few seconds and trying the bag in different ways the next big observation is how well it is balanced. You can wear this bag any way you desire and your clubs don't slide out. It's as if the bag has a gyroscope in it. So I'd say those are the two HUGE feature to the bag, but I do miss having legs and more pockets, but the trade off for walking with such a light weight set up is well worth it.

October 8 2012 Update: New Hybrid and three wood in the bag. Adams 9031DF tour head with Matrix Radix 9T-hy shaft, 18° and a standard Titleist 910F 15 with Ahina.

July 19 2012 Update: Wedges have arrived! Absolutely sexy sticks. The finish (blue oxide) looks amazing, but will not last. Eventually I'll have wedges that are just raw looking which is what I originally wanted, but I couldn't pass on this finish after seeing this finish on PGA 2012 Show pics. For this set I replaced the traditional set SB-1 PW with a 48° for some design options. The 48° wedge has a taller face than the Sb-1 PW, so flight may come down a little and I also had more sole grind options. Both the 48° and 53° have DOG grinds. When testing this grind it really showed me how much a grind can change the feel and performance of a club. Much better than my previous PDG grind that no longer fits my swing. Divots are more even and the turf is easier to get through. No more sticking and then popping out. The 60° is my trusted PWE grind which has heel relief that can help to open up the face in sand, toe relief that can help to open up the face on grass, there's a small channel running down the middle that can grab a little dirt and add bounce when getting too deep and the overall bounce is 13°, but it really plays like it has less bounce with all the grinding. While all my irons have the same square toe design I choose to have the wedges blend. The 48° is a square toe, the 60° is the standard Scratch TD shape and the 53° toe shape fits between the two shapes. I didn't want to change the 60°, so this keeps things flowing nicely and gives me a little visual cue as to what I have in my hands. I can look down, check out the toe shape and know which wedge I have. Also, I choose to have Jeff McCoy grind the wedges (Don White made the irons) since he worked on my first set and I really wanted the PWE 60° to be the same head grind. Check out the cool little Mc stamp on the neck. NS Pro SPB shafts with Z-Cords.

McCoy maker's mark stamp:

Scoring clubs... having a very difficult time deciding which putter to use. Both have some awesome benefits making the final choice nearly impossible to make.

July 8 Update: Scratch Tour Department irons have arrived! A review is almost pointless because I designed these to work perfectly with a lot of help from Scratch and other members. I took all my favorite features and swing needs and Scratch built these.

Features:
Square toes:
Square toes as I learned over the last year are not all the same. Some are pointy, some are fat, some are slanted, some are round then square, you get the idea. There are so many versions of square toes it's hard to decide where to start. The set that "set" me off last summer was Pure745's original TDs. His had a very square toe look, but the corner radius was not sharp. I kept thinking it looked like a modern interpretation of a classic square toe look. I loved that the top corner was not pointy and sharp looking like a lot of old school blades or even my Titleist 735s. A lot of guys like the irons to transition, but these are basically as square as can be throughout. The wedges, which are coming in a few weeks, will transition to more of a standard TD 60°, but all of the irons are the same square shape.
As you can see in the pics they really give the illusion of looking a lot more compact than they really are. They frame the ball perfectly. The lines don't distort the address view like tricky, fat, rounded designs found all over today and my eyes can pick up the angles quickly for the desired alignment. Notice in the address pics how the toe edge sort of helps alignment while the rounder toe found on my old SB-1s doesn't give that visual cue.

My old SB-1 on the left, and my new TD on the right. Also, notice the difference in chrome coloring. The TDs have a slightly warmer color to the chrome. Another design feature I wanted was sharper crotches (the area where the top line meets the neck) Looks great!

Sharp Crotch: One of Don White's signature styles is sharper edges. I quickly noticed this in person when I saw Pure's last summer and while talking to Patrick of Scratch. I loved how the crotch area has a sharpness to it that continues into the top line not found on other irons. It really makes it look hand crafted since casting could never create those lines. It sort of reminds me of the raw CNC versions of my Byron putters - Chiseled from a block of metal.

Sole grinds: My old SB-1 set was the sweeper slider grinds, and worked well back when I skulled shots and barely touched the grass, but fast forward 4 years and 6 strokes and my miss is fatter. If you hit a fat shot with S/S grinds the feeling is almost scary. The S/S digs and then sticks in the ground for a second and then pops out. That second where it sticks feels like you could do some damage to your wrists. I really don't like attacking my old set, so these new bounces are really game improving. Over the six months I took to design these Patrick sent me several different irons to demo. I took them out on the course and range and really noticed how much better the turf interaction was with more bounce. NO STICKING! Shots felt vastly better. The sole grinds are really Scratch's big idea, and what shines about ordering a set, so I decided to let the soles be the story - no sole stamps of any kind. As you can see the numbers are out off the sole on the toe area and the DW stamping is on the neck.
9 iron on the left and 3 iron on the right. The irons transition from more bounce to lesser bounce with the leading edge grind.

Other details: The lofts are stamped in white on the back of the head. Shafts are Nippon NS Pro Super Peening Blue X flex. They feel a lot like Dynamic Gold S300s, but a hair stiffer - not much though. Half inch over with Golf Pride Z grips. 1° upright. D4 sw.

July 2 Update: Check out the patina on the copper ...

June 18 Update: Byron 612 solid copper. 1 of 25. Specs: 35", 340 grams, Iomic grip, and rolled topline. I love the rolled topline. It really makes the address view look more finished probably because it's just not what I'm use to seeing, and the way light doesn't hit beveled corners found in the standard flat top line. The feel is slightly stiffer than my mixed metals 612 with more feedback. It's like gaming a sound slot without actually having one. Even though copper is very soft the density is heavier, so the cavity has to be milled out more to keep the initial weight down. This makes for a thinner face and the stiffer feel than my other 612s. Going back and forth between this copper head and the mixed metals really gives you an idea of how soft the carbon head is. Almost like it's silenced.

June 5 Update: Here are my iron heads going out for satin chrome finish. Before I saw the RF prototypes I wanted a clean sole with the stamps on the toe. One of the major reason to buy Scratch products is for the custom work on the soles -- the area of the iron that is all performance. I noticed when testing various Scratch grinds how different grinds felt while moving through the turf, so I really wanted the sole grinds to shine. I wanted the angles and crafting to be the star of the show, so I requested the typical sole stamps be moved to different areas. The DW stamp is on the neck and the numbers on the toe. The problem is the toe has some curve, so the stamping would not be an easy job, but Scratch pulled it off perfectly. I also wanted the loft stamped on there somewhere mostly for fun. When someone asks what I just hit on a par three I can look down and give them a loft... Let them figure out their own distances on their overly strong clubs. :tomato:

May 17 Update: Scratch in process pics are in from Patrick!! It looks like the irons have been adjusted, square toes have been shaped and the soles' leading edges ground. Aesthetic stuff like welding over the numbers and stamps will be done later.

I LOVE the toe shape! They are based on Pure745's first TD set that I saw first hand last year. I was blown away by how the irons frame the ball at address and could not stop thinking about that feature. The toe side is very flat with a rounder type transition on the top and bottom as you can see in the pics.

Jeff McCoy is grinding the three wedges which will transition from a square toe to the standard TD look in the 60°.

:yahoo:Don White's work in process:

Jeff McCoy's work coming later.

I'll start with my new flat stick and add pics of the other clubs when they arrive.

Byron Design 612.
  • German steel neck
  • Carbon steel head
  • High polished Blue Oil on both portions. Carbon steel turns more of an even dark blue while stainless has a bigger variation.
  • 345 grams
  • 35"
  • GripMaster Stitchback (changing to an Iomic)
  • 3/4 shaft offset

In the sun the head looks more black with hints of blue, but as you can see the blue really pops when the clouds rolled in.
Clouds making the neck colors really pop:

No clouds and the neck looks more steel colored:

Heavy cloud cover:

Here's my bag. 2012 Ping Hoofer. Great look, semi light, nice straps, bad legs, could have better dividers. I give it an 8 out of 10 mostly for the looks and weight.

Driver: 910 D3 8.5 set to the D2 setting. Miyazaki Kusala Black 72 stiff. LOVE THIS COMBO! Low spin, GREAT FEEL, Low flight if needed and high when wanted. The flight is very much directed by my tee height. low tee = low flight, etc. Typical 910 ferrule problems though...

In a few weeks I'll post my Scratch TD irons and wedges.

OK so here are the rest of my clubs lob wedge through diver and back ups :busted2:

First up my lob wedge. It just spins forward like crazy and works on all types of greens.
German Bombora, twisted Rincon neck, and triple blue oil fade.

Next is my sand wedge. A German Steel Mindless. 365 grams and pure. It just smashes sand like a drunk camel. It's also pure.

Next is my gap wedge. I actually pulled it out of my daughter's bag. She's six and did all the designing. It's pretty and short, but it works like a veteran sailor.

Here's another wedge because you can never have too many. German Steel that one hops and stops.

9 iron. It's tricky to get this one too high and the apex is just perfect. It's the original test type proto for the Capt Morgan blades. It's seriously soft for a 9 iron.

8 iron. Scoring work horse. An oldie but goodie. 365 X-Proto with soundslot. meaty money.

7 iron. one of the first 16 made from the original batch. The soundslot makes this 7 iron play like a dream.

6 iron. A powerful tool that is all business. 006 that never quits. The COG is spot on.

5 iron. I won the 2009 Club Championship A flight with this 5 iron in the bag. It's great for knock down shots.

4 iron. Tiny, but pure money. Toe hang really holds the release for high fades.

3 iron. Matches my 4 iron, but in solid copper. I can stop it on a dime on any green!

Hybrid. Long, and lands like a butterfly. great feel and kick. Tends to catch in the rough though.

3 wood. Great off tight lies with fantastic distance control. It's solid copper which added 17 yards to my putts. It's even got a channel that is so deep it goes all the way through the flange. That's real R&D for distance!!

Driver. Looooong lag bomber.

Back up driver. It's classic and travels well.

A lot of steel requires a strong bag.

...and protection.

Well, That's my bag until my itch is Scratched... stay tuned.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suscribed.

You know what kind of putters I like and I have to give props where they are due. That is an awesome flatstick. Only thing missing is a site line. :)

New TD irons too? :partytime2:

Thanks!

I'll probably be in HB later this summer. We'll have to hook up with Pure745 and compare notes.

I was going along just fine in life enjoying my SB-1s with DGs300s until I saw Pure's TDs in person last summer. It's been a spending adventure ever since. Last October I got tired of dreaming about them and just went for it... full TD irons and wedges. I've spent the last sixth months hitting demos from Scratch and comparing many different iron shafts. I finally wrapped up the TD order last week. My set is right behind Pure's for Don-grind-time and Jeff is doing the wedges. I've been exchanging texts, notes and calls with several guys (Patrick, Pure745, Thaddy, Bruce Rearick) for a long time getting every angle and micrometer just right. I started off by collecting every picture I could find of TD and cool MBs, I really paid attention to what I was missing and how I was missing shots etc. I hit everything on the market, measured my numbers, measured my divots, accounted for every effing thing. It was fun and exciting as h@ll, but I'm glad it's done and in Don, Jeff and Patrick's hands now! beach.gifyahoo.gif

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I know you're holding out on us. Where are the rest of the putters? :)

My first thought was to do a WITB with 14 putters...

...probably will still do that.man_in_love.gif

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

Thanks!

I'll probably be in HB later this summer. We'll have to hook up with Pure745 and compare notes.

I was going along just fine in life enjoying my SB-1s with DGs300s until I saw Pure's TDs in person last summer. It's been a spending adventure ever since. Last October I got tired of dreaming about them and just went for it... full TD irons and wedges. I've spent the last sixth months hitting demos from Scratch and comparing many different iron shafts. I finally wrapped up the TD order last week. My set is right behind Pure's for Don-grind-time and Jeff is doing the wedges. I've been exchanging texts, notes and calls with several guys (Patrick, Pure745, Thaddy, Bruce Rearick) for a long time getting every angle and micrometer just right. I started off by collecting every picture I could find of TD and cool MBs, I really paid attention to what I was missing and how I was missing shots etc. I hit everything on the market, measured my numbers, measured my divots, accounted for every effing thing. It was fun and exciting as h@ll, but I'm glad it's done and in Don, Jeff and Patrick's hands now! beach.gifyahoo.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how you order from the Tour Department. Can't wait to see them when they come in!

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1335476495' post='4796136']
[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1335475538' post='4796000']
Suscribed.

You know what kind of putters I like and I have to give props where they are due. That is an awesome flatstick. Only thing missing is a site line. :)

New TD irons too? :partytime2:
[/quote]

Thanks!

[/quote]

Definitely. :drinks:

Holy smokes that 612 is just :man_in_love:

You definitely need to post the rest of the putters.. I can think of 3 right now that definitely need to be shown on here. Congrats on the new putter.. and I'm just as anxious as you are for your TD set. :clapping:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

At first I was like WTF?

This definitely wins for most unique WITB so far... :)

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Any new Byron LTD headcovers coming out?? Been a loooooooooooooong time since the last one :rolleyes:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1335845647' post='4821682']
Any new Byron LTD headcovers coming out?? Been a loooooooooooooong time since the last one :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Just the two Japanese covers. You saw the mocks for the second, but only Byron has seen the finals.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

[size=2][quote name='BuckeyeGolfer ' timestamp='1336241937' post='4854872']
Ryan, what an awesome thread this is.

What will it take for me to pry that Black Peace and Smileys cover from your hands?
[/quote]

Thanks!

That cover is never leaving. It's the only one I have! It was designed for the Japanese Byron market. The Byron rep for the Asian market wanted something with peace and happy faces and German on it to sell to the Japanese market, so this is the result. We're lucky it even got through AM&E's production crew because the multiple happy and peace signs may be viewed as dancing - it went through dozens of edits. Anything that may upset the-one-who-may-not-be-named scares AM&E to death. He is their cash cow, so they protect his market value. It is what it is and they make quality covers, and this design was a lucky break, but at least it uses magnets instead of the velcro that scratches finishes.[/size]

Here are some early mock-ups that were canned...
[attachment=1152726:Byron_Peace_V7.jpg]

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

These mocks hit the cutting room floor and never made it to Japan. Created over 80 variations before the final design was done[attachment=1152894:Byron_8811_Japanese-HC-3.jpg].

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1337272691' post='4931874']
Those look great- congrats!!! Been a long time coming.
[/quote]

Thanks,

Yeah. It took me forever to decide and test everything. I was in no rush back in October when I decided to go ahead and buy a full set of TDs, so I literally gave myself months to study my swing, conditions during cold/wet days and dry/warm days etc. Once I sent in the final order the time has gone by quickly. I think that was three weeks ago? My current set of Sb-1s is playing great, but I really can't wait for the new wedge grinds to help with my evolved swing since I purchased my originals 4 years ago. The 48 and 53 will be a completely different grind than my current gamers and from testing they will help me tremendously from 130 and in.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

• 3 weeks later...