How do u all vent on the course?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off, I take a deep breath and try to forget about the shot. Although I am not the best golfer, I have had my fair share of good shots, and try to imagine what I know I am capable of. Just try to keep your confidence high, and know that how you play really doesn't matter 99% of the time. Unless it is a huge qualifier or something, who cares? Come out next time and do better. Simple.

--example. last match I played in, on the fifth hole, a par five, I had a gameplan of hitting a hybrid off the tee, but felt comfortable with driver. so guess what, I flared my driver OB. hitting 3 off the tee. hit a hybrid down the middle, and hack the rest of the hole and make a triple. I hadn't taken a number like that in a LONG time. take a deep breath. next hole, par 3, about 130. I kill a pitching wedge, lands about 5 yards past the pin, almost spins into the hole, and I have a 2 footer uphill for birdie. make it. both holes were in front of my coach too. Just shows if somethign crappy happens, just know that THE MOST IMPORTANT SHOT IS THE NEXT SHOT, and move on.

interesting how inept most of you are at the mental side of golf.......sounds like you guys can't control the only thing you can in the game......... yourself ....and how you react to everything that happens to you.....I bet lots of you guys are really talented when it come to stroking the ball but suck on the mental side of the game..........get some mental game SKILLS......they are even free at your libriary.........read and apply the books ZEN GOLF or EVERYSHOT MUST HAVE A PURPOSE.......find out what you have been misssing and get ready to go real low ......your scores will drop and you will have more fun playing golf than ever had.........and you will get great pleasure seeing people take fits on the course because of there WEAK MINDS and you wil remember ......thats how I used to be.......and laugh.......now go get those books and read or stay uneducated, ignorant,and ignore your true potenial.........cheers...........

FYI most pros do say nice shot you just don't hear it because they have no mics on thier shirts. Pros are very cool and support each other. As far as you not looking for someones ball, karma is a b**** and when you knock your ball into the woods or desert and nobody is helpng you look for your ball think about all the times you never helped someone look for their ball. Golf is a game of sportsmanship and helping your playing partners out.

Dont get me wrong i do help...............but when its the 7th hole and its the fourth time if have had to look for your ball and we are in a tournament i dont have all day. Im a pretty fast player when it comes to preshot and everything but i hate FEELING rushed by a group behind me because of a post shot thing that i have been doing latley that Tiger does. And about the good shots..........maybe i watch the wrong people on the PGA tour but as in the Nationwide and US Pro tour stuff............no one ways good shot because you arent at the course to make friends..........ur their to work. I play with a couple of us pro tour pros and a nationwide tour guy, and a canadian tour guy and while they are all nice guys. All have said talking and good shots are @ a minimum. Same goes with college golf. Junior golf is all "hehe this is fun lets talk aobut life" and all that stupid stuff that pisses me off when im trying to focus, then you get to college and no one will talk to you and you have no idea why and you play bad becaseu you have no idea how to entertain yourself becasue the round seems to take forever.

So in High School golf you are there to "work"...High school and college level golf is about sportsmanship and representing yourself and your school in a positive light.

To me you sound like a really cocky golfer, which is something you have to be in golf (self confident), but I mean it's high school golf it's not the end of the world if you have to look for a ball every 2nd hole your not on the PGA Tour how can you expect every player to not lose balls.

You have to adapt to your playing partner, your not going to be in an ideal group everytime you golf, adapt and you will become a better golfer.

So in High School golf you are there to "work"...High school and college level golf is about sportsmanship and representing yourself and your school in a positive light.

To me you sound like a really cocky golfer, which is something you have to be in golf (self confident), but I mean it's high school golf it's not the end of the world if you have to look for a ball every 2nd hole your not on the PGA Tour how can you expect every player to not lose balls.

You have to adapt to your playing partner, your not going to be in an ideal group everytime you golf, adapt and you will become a better golfer.

i dont play high school golf to make friends i do it to get out of class and to play free golf. Granted i do make friends but yes, I am there to "work". The level of play in So Cal is much higher than most places in the country. Our team shot 185 as a team last year (+ 5 as a team) and LOST! Plus with all the money my mom puts into my golf, I feel if im not giving 100% every time i tee it up in a competitive round, im letting her down to be honest. Plus the fact that High school golf is a team sport and playing the # 2 spot is pretty demanding becaseu u are expected to put up a score. So u could shoot 40 becaseu of a really bad day and the coach will look ot you for answers why we lost them match when we kept a 47 from some unskilled freshman. So sorry if i seem "to intense" but golf is my "job" other than school and not doing my best means not being given "promotions." I stop looking for balls when the player who hit the tee shot stops watching where they fly off the club becaseu "he is so much better than he is playing today".......... anyone run into these kids?

I punch trees.

jk but honestly I just don't get mad during tournaments, but to get my mind off of things inbetween shots I play a song in my head, or think about something funny. The guy who posted before me might find this crazy but if I am lucky to be in a good group, we usually talk and joke randomely which makes everything more relaxed. I mean, you can't be rude and get pissed off because that sends a bad message about yourself and your team. Whenever you take yourself too seriously and think every one else is the big joke while they look for their ball or shoot 95 or whatever, you become the joke. No one likes being around a jerk and who knows, maybe you will need help from one of these kids one day and they won't help you because of how you treated them. Just relax, this is golf not football haha

Well I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight...

School isn't important at all, it's all about winning at the high school level.

I think you should relax and try to enjoy the game of golf, why put so much pressure on yourself?

Seriously it's high school golf...if your team and coach is that intense I feel sorry for you guys.

I also think if you want to play school on a scholarship, or even just play NCAA golf, you should start to learn to balance school and golf because at that level your not there to "get out of class". Especially if your on a scholarship of anykind, and even more so if your not preforming well on the course.

Don't get so caught up in your playing partner who cares if your playing with a guy who can barely swing, or a guy who thinks he's scratch, or a scratch golfer??

There is a word every golfer should know and stick to in every situation no matter what and that's ETIQUETTE. It's just part of the game to help a player look for a lost ball, what a drive, etc.

Well I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight...

School isn't important at all, it's all about winning at the high school level.

I think you should relax and try to enjoy the game of golf, why put so much pressure on yourself?

Seriously it's high school golf...if your team and coach is that intense I feel sorry for you guys.

I also think if you want to play school on a scholarship, or even just play NCAA golf, you should start to learn to balance school and golf because at that level your not there to "get out of class". Especially if your on a scholarship of anykind, and even more so if your not preforming well on the course.

Don't get so caught up in your playing partner who cares if your playing with a guy who can barely swing, or a guy who thinks he's scratch, or a scratch golfer??

There is a word every golfer should know and stick to in every situation no matter what and that's ETIQUETTE. It's just part of the game to help a player look for a lost ball, what a drive, etc.

I agree 100% with this post. BTW, you don't need to rush your routine, just walk quick in between shots if you're holding people up.

• 8 months later...

You will learn young one, you will learn. Patience is a virtue. Embrace it as you would a loved one. Remember, honey traps more flies. These other kids may one day be your boss if and when your golf career is over and you need work. Trust me, I get great pleasure of telling old acquaintances that acted such as your self that I have no job openings for them. Then turn around and actually hire a qualified individual with a pleasing personality. These are the type of people I need, and any business needs today to survive. Keep acting up, and it will bite you in the butt.

When I was in my mid 20's I would really let the temper fly on poor shots. I once smashed a brand new $400 Great Big Bertha driver after hitting 3 balls off the tee into a hazard on a forced carry on the Heathlands Course in MB, SC. That driver was destroyed. I never, EVER got mad on the course again. I really looked like an a** in front of my friends...they still, to this day, razz me about it but they also say that they cannot believe how calm I am while golfing, nothing seems to bug me anymore....

Now at 40, not much really bothers me on the course, I am just happy to be playing and enjoying what I like doing best.

Taking lessons really helps, I now understand my natural swing tendencies (faults) and can correct myself much quicker while playing during my round.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

my personal way to deall with a bad strech of holes is to be content with what happend...you cant change it and the only reason to be made is if you didn't put every ounce of effort into your last shot.

I have gotten into a habbit before every shot of letting myself know to put my best swing on it if my best isn't good enoght well then so be it I need to practice more but theres no reason to get upset if you made the best swing you could.

COMPLETLEY different golf now!!!!!

Have cutting the loud rediculous cussing ot of my game.........and no more 75 yard club throws, maybe a drop on the ground in discuss but never throw the club. Watching my friend that should be playing D1 golf right now not playing anywhere because coached were afraid to recruit him shows me what an a** I was being (his name is Vincent Stong and will be playing next year @ SDUS)

Anyways to all of you that think I am a complete a** i do not act like that anymore. I now live by the rule that if you have to act or tell people you are better than you are playing, then you really arent that good in the first place.

So what books do you all recommend to read? Im hitting the ball better than ever and the only thing keeping me from scrath is a little mental side and SHORT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a huge first step, and you should be proud. This may sound stupid, but try a more traditional martial art. It will teach you how to center yourself a lot better. You already know the shots you want to take and how to make them. Traditional Teakwondo, Kung Fu, or Karate will help you keep your mind and body at peace.

Throwing the clubs in the lake is a good feeling, so is throwing your putter 30m away, so is drop-kicking your ball with your putter after 3-jabbing, so is breaking your putter shaft over your knee, so is screaming at the top of your lungs "I hate you golf gods" (I wouldn't advice this, those guys are vengeful bastards) ;)

Sorry guys, had to do it...this thread is a good one though ;)

Just a little advice from the old guy.

Now I have played golf at a pretty high level for 42 years been playing for 44 and , I never was bad about acting up on the course.

Oh I broke two or three putters over the years and tossed a couple of drivers.

I still curse a bit probably always will. But these were not the problems. My problem was I would get angry and thats all I could think about. One bad shot and the next few holes I was done.

Some where late twentys early thirtys it came to me.

Golf is a game of misses . Ask yourself how many shots you hit exactly the way you want too. I read once that Hogan thought it was maybe one or two around. I totally agree with him.

So I totally accept the fact that when I go out on the golf course I am going to miss a lot of shots. I try not to miss them in the wrong place.

The second thing I learned was patience, I try and make pars and let the birdies come to me. I seriously try not to force anything.

Last but not least I learned that the game is 18 holes I learned that I always want to shoot the best score I can and learning this I truly learned to play one shot at a time.

I look at everyshot as a shot. Not a special shot a shot, not a shot that requires something a shot.

If I snap one in the woods I am already thinking about finding the ball and getting out. Who has time to get mad.

I always make sure I get out of trouble or that its a major part of the plan.

Now say I get it out and I leave it a hundred yards. Most people think I need to get this wedge close and make my par.

I think about how far it is the wind and the shot I need to execute. I visualize the shot in my mind but I never think about the results.

I will not allow myself to think got to be five feet.

I believe because of the way I play and the way I grind I do not have time to get mad, to many other good things to use my energy on

Basically I am never to worried about the last shot I have the next one on my mind already.

I hope this makes some sense to some of you that fight the anger.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI most pros do say nice shot you just don't hear it because they have no mics on thier shirts. Pros are very cool and support each other. As far as you not looking for someones ball, karma is a b**** and when you knock your ball into the woods or desert and nobody is helpng you look for your ball think about all the times you never helped someone look for their ball. Golf is a game of sportsmanship and helping your playing partners out.

i agree mate it is a game of sportsmanship and etiquite and every one has to have a bad round some were along the lines and u cant hit every shot perfect or how you want to like tiger woods so just think about that and i just try play the next shot better and think about some thing else between shots.

• 4 months later...

Great thread, really. If you sum up the good parts of the posts, here is what you will find:

1. Perspective- it is a unpopular cliche but age in golf does wonders. There is a reason why even the most immense talents don't truly hit their stride and peak in their prime until they reach 30. Golf is about relying on past experiences and until you have seen and done it all, you just can't relate to what happens on the course.

2. s*** happens- golf is a game of how good your bad shots turn out. period. You can shank it twice on a par four and chip in for par and that is as good as a perfect drive, a perfect iron, and two perfect putts. No room for pictures on a scorecard. Only you can make yourself understand this.

3. Release- Each person has to find a release for bad emotions on the golf course. This not only includes anger but fear, excitement, adrenaline, activities off the course, etc... This again comes with trial and experience. Some go through breathing exercises, some strech, some take a few extra hard swings away from the crowd, some just sit back and think of what them happy. I personally just go back to the fact that regardless of how good or bag I hit any shot, I want to try and do it better the next time.

4. Routine- The best players are ignorant of the outcome. They are wholly and completely focused on the process. The best player (yes Tiger) and others understand they can not control that little golf ball most of the time. Al they can control is they way the approach each shot with a well practiced routine and the proper decision process to hit the shot at hand. Focus on your routine from start to finish including something to trigger it like putting your glove on to the finishing it with filling your divot. Try to become perfect for those 30 seconds and I promise you the anger will go away and your shots will get better.

I love this site and love the fact that there are so many of us that care about this great game enough to share our wisdom and experiences. Tee it up and let the fresh air hit you in the a**!