2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Very Hoganesque swing

youtube user theeaglequest
I ran across this guys swing vids last summer when I was initially researching Hogan. I remember seeing him doing a few slow-mo concentration styled swing and his transition looked like Hogans. Now he's finally got a few full speed swing vids up. Not sure if ths is his final completed swing, but I'm seeing a lot of Hogan in it. Gonna try and contact him on youtube and see if he can give some insight (hope he doesnt get pissed that I'm throwing his videos up in this forum; but hey...he shouldn't have put it out there on youtube in the first place :rolleyes: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLRu4eCxqQ&feature=results_video&lr=1&ob=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Ss7kJFi3I&feature=channel&list=UL

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1335889862' post='4824440']
Not a Hogan guru, but I don't see much Hogan there.
[/quote]

I too am no Hogan guru, but I notice what his clubhead does at the top during transition. and the pitch elbow and the way club exits the left side of the body.

But mainly the CH action at the top.............I'll put a video up sometime this week to show what I'm talking about.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1335883837' post='4823654']
I ran across this guys swing vids last summer when I was initially researching Hogan. I remember seeing him doing a few slow-mo concentration styled swing and his transition looked like Hogans. Now he's finally got a few full speed swing vids up. Not sure if ths is his final completed swing, but I'm seeing a lot of Hogan in it. Gonna try and contact him on youtube and see if he can give some insight (hope he doesnt get pissed that I'm throwing his videos up in this forum; but hey...he shouldn't have put it out there on youtube in the first place :rolleyes: )

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLRu4eCxqQ&feature=results_video&lr=1&ob=0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Ss7kJFi3I&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]
[/quote]

You wanna hear what he has to say, but not Hogan himself? Bro, you need some thinking.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1336132086' post='4846326']

[/quote]

You wanna hear what he has to say, but not Hogan himself? Bro, you need some thinking.
[/quote]

Yep. I'm interested in the Hogan chasers viewpoints. Especially people that have Hogan type dynamics in their swing.

And I did listen to what Hogan had to say. He said....................

[i]"Well the most important...uhhh...thing in the golf swing to me is the movement of the.....lower body......from the top of the swing. And if you don't mind, I'll demonstrate."[/i]

HG101, while we're on the subject of "Hogan Chasers" are you or did you chase the Hogan swing dynamic? If so, let your swing out of the bag...I wanna do a comparison.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1336137837' post='4846880']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep. I'm interested in the Hogan chasers viewpoints. Especially people that have Hogan type dynamics in their swing.

[i]"Well the most important...uhhh...thing in the golf swing to me is the movement of the.....lower body......from the top of the swing. And if you don't mind, I'll demonstrate."[/i]

HG101, while we're on the subject of "Hogan Chasers" are you or did you chase the Hogan swing dynamic? If so, let your swing out of the bag...I wanna do a comparison.
[/quote]

Only that? Why don't you listen to him in 5L? It is a true and complete repository of his feels and intents...

Hello Hogan Swing Project

I am humbled to be compared to the great master Mr Ben Hogan. I am far from being like the master and your analysis has enlightened me. I am not sure if you are a professional teacher but your look into the swing is very revealing. The swing that you [size="3"]a[/size][size="3"]nalyzed [/size][size="3"] is [/size]a bit old and more of the 5 lessons style. I have recently gone back to Mr Hogan's Power Golf swing to get a better idea of his journey and hopely better understand his development. The problems I am having is trying not to be flat in the backswing and get onto the Hogan downswing plane. I can get on it with a flattest backswing plane but not with a more on plane action as Hogan did. One thing that has really helped me is working on my tushline. Hogan had a wonderful ability to work inside the tushline during the swing. Anyway can you do a side by side of me in the swing entitled Power Golf Swing. Since you posted my swing I should get one more free analysis :)lol Great job and I look forward to seeing the new break down. I am going to work on some of things you showed in your analysis.
Brian

[quote name='theeaglequest' timestamp='1336143484' post='4847486']
Hello Hogan Swing Project

I am humbled to be compared to the great master Mr Ben Hogan. I am far from being like the master and your analysis has enlightened me. I am not sure if you are a professional teacher but your look into the swing is very revealing. The swing that you [size="3"]a[/size][size="3"]nalyzed [/size][size="3"]is [/size]a bit old and more of the 5 lessons style. I have recently gone back to Mr Hogan's Power Golf swing to get a better idea of his journey and hopely better understand his development. The problems I am having is trying not to be flat in the backswing and get onto the Hogan downswing plane. I can get on it with a flattest backswing plane but not with a more on plane action as Hogan did. One thing that has really helped me is working on my tushline. Hogan had a wonderful ability to work inside the tushline during the swing. Anyway can you do a side by side of me in the swing entitled Power Golf Swing. Since you posted my swing I should get one more free analysis :)lol Great job and I look forward to seeing the new break down. I am going to work on some of things you showed in your analysis.
Brian
[/quote]

Aha! So the eaglyguy does live! Hope you didn't mind me throwing your swing up here, but there's lots of Hogan-minded guys here that might be able to give some "very honest" critique.

Errrrr, ummmm..............Yes I am a professional teacher...I have one dedicated student.......his name is me. :rolleyes:

I'll look for your Power Golf swing and do a side-by-side. Can you post a DTL on a tripod? Your youtube page has a few, but they're real grainy and it moves around a lot. Needs to be a still video with best resolution possible.

it doesn't look like hogan's swing to me because of the release...it looks like the guy in the videos is using a swinger's release. look at how early he releases after transition...classic swinger. hogan was a hitter who held that wrist angle as long as possible.

in the 2nd face-on video, the golfer releases with his lead arm at about 8 o'clock, but look at [url="http://www.danielrgray.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hogan-Impact.bmp"]this picture of hogan[/url]...not many similarities there.

the DTL video had a lot more similarities to hogan's swing...is it the same guy?

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1336153966' post='4848720']
HG101:

Honestly I think Power Golf is a much better book than 5L. It contains little gems, especially in the pictures, than 5L. And, it was written in Hogan's PRIME. Even Hogan said you shouldn't copy his post accident swing.
[/quote]

correct me if im wrong, but if you're trying to COPY hogan's swing out of 5L, you've kind of missed his point...think he even mentions that in the foreword.

5L has been great for my development...i use the hogan grip, stance, alignment and hip shift, but the value of that book wasn't in the nuts and bolts, but understanding how the chain reaction of the swing works. i knew my swing wouldn't look like hogan's because he mentions how different body types change the aesthetics of a swing...since im tall and long armed, there's no way my swing would look like that. but in understanding how each part of his fundamentals impacts the others, i was able to really understand my own swing, rather than copy another's.

just my 2 cents

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1336142064' post='4847316']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1336137837' post='4846880']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Only that? Why don't you listen to him in 5L? It is a true and complete repository of his feels and intents...
[/quote]

You make another good point....It is of [b]his[/b] feels and intents. Snead or Player or any of the other old schoolers may have a different "most important thing to me" statement. It's difficult to go by another guys "feel" cause it may be different than mine.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1336254538' post='4855758']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yb6vR9jj9A&feature=g-upl[/media]
[/quote]

Wow great analysis again. As you can see my lower body action has improved. My swing has more 5 lessons in it than Power Golf. I am excited to see the changes I have been working towards are starting to become part of my swing. I see a number of things that I want to improve. Will send an update in a couple of days. Thanks

[quote name='theeaglequest' timestamp='1336277744' post='4857402']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1336254538' post='4855758']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yb6vR9jj9A&feature=g-upl[/media]
[/quote]

Wow great analysis again. As you can see my lower body action has improved. My swing has more 5 lessons in it than Power Golf. I am excited to see the changes I have been working towards are starting to become part of my swing. I see a number of things that I want to improve. Will send an update in a couple of days. Thanks
[/quote]

What are your club distances? Average scoring? From what tees do you play? How often do you play? Are your clubs standard lie and face angle?

[quote name='theeaglequest' timestamp='1336574787' post='4879614']
My PW 140, 9 150, 8 160, 7 170-5, 6 180, 5 200, 4 210-15, 3 225 -30, 3 wood 270, driver 300
I w
Play from the tips score low 70's high 60's
Play about 5 times a week
My angles are standard, going to have them flattened
[/quote]

Whew. You need to be on somebody's tour.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Anthony is no longer with us. I don't mean he passed away or anything, it's more like, he's in a better place now.

What happened was, he changed his name legally to "Ben Hogan" and his wife divorced him after he tried to change hers to "Valerie Hogan". The assets he got after the split, he got scammed out of by a guy who sold him the socks Hogan was wearing when he had the car accident. (They had a Nike swoosh on them but Anthony was so excited to get his hands on such priceless relics, he bought the guy's story that Hogan had signed an endorsement deal but hadn't had time to tell anyone yet.)

After that he became homeless and travelled around trying to earn some scratch by demonstrating Hogan's tee-ing up technique at exclusive clubs.

He was rounded up by the cops while eating soup out of a cauldron in a train yard. They had received complaints that a guy was hitting balls at passing freight trains. He claimed he was just trying to teach the drifters and hobos Hogan's pivot. He got the idea the cops wanted him to strengthen his grip and made a run for it, only to be hit in the head by "Baltimore Sam" practising his backswing with an improvised 3-iron that Anthony had made from an old fishing rod and a fry pan.

After that Anthony was no longer himself and had to be committed to an asylum. He is unlikely to ever be released, but is happier than he has ever been, spending his days forever hitting 1-irons on to the 18th at Merion.

• 3 weeks later...