Editor review: 2012 PING i20 hybrid

This club will be in my bag for 2012, how about yours?!
First and foremost I want to thank PING golf andGolfWRX to test and review some of the latest and greatest offerings from PING.Thank you Rob from WRX and Mike from PING especially.

Just a few things aboutmyself before I get into the review. I am a golf enthusiasts, as many guys arehere on WRX. I have been golfing for about six years now (former baseballplayer) and take it serious, but always enjoy my time on the course. I carry ahandicap index of 8. Some strengths of my game are wedge play and iron play.Woods and hybrids had generally given me trouble until I stumbled upon the i15hybrid.

Club Tested: PING i20 Hybrid 20*

Pros

The glare free matte black finish is the first thing I noticed whenopening the box. Matched with theProject X black shaft, the "stealth" black look is very nice. Small/compacthead. Great sound and feel at impact. It is very similar to the i15 and doesn'ttake much adjustment getting used to.

Cons

Some might think it is a players club being part of the i series, butone will quickly realize it is for mid and low handicappers not just the bestgolfers. It truly is difficult to come up with cons for this club. Just a fewswings in I knew PING had another winner.

Bottom Line

PING has done it again. I for one LOVE(D) the i15 hybrid (still have inmy bag). The i20 hybrid is right there if not longer than the i15. The look isunique and eye catching, and the matte black finish is great during sunny days.The club offers great forgiveness with workability. The ball flight produced isa nice mid to mid/high couldn't ask for anything more. Try it and you will wantto buy it!

Editor/TesterReview:

Look (5 stars)

The i20 hybrid's matte finish (oncrown) and black face aren't just another all black club. Unlike the Titleist910 line, the i20 hybrid is a matte finish which eliminates glare which as manyof you know can be quite distracting when standing over a shot on a brightsunny day (can be seen in my pictures). The overall look of the black finish isvery cool and functional, hats off to PING on this one. I can't speak on thedurability of the finish as I have only hit a few balls on the range/course,but I hope to update the review over time with feedback on how the club wears.

As for the overall shape and styleof the club, it has a similar shape and lines to the i15. I hope my pictures captured this, but thehead is noticeably smaller and more compact looking than the i15 however. I forone have been very pleased with the i15 hybrid, but hands down the look of thei20 is way better. A lot of this has todo with personal preference, but I think the i20's finish has gotten a lot ofapplause here on the boards.

Performance/playability (4 Stars)

Just a few swings into testing put ahuge smile on my face. One swing, aperfect mid height shot that just seemed to carry, perfect launch and come downsoftly. The dispersion from left toright seemed to be very tight. I am notone to usually work the ball with my hybrid. I would generally use it off thetee on short par 4's, as a second shot on par 5's or off the tee a long Par3. Working the ball left or right withthe i20 is no problem. I haven't had enough on course testing with it to givefeedback on performance out of the rough just yet, but off the tee for me itwas longer than my currently i15 set up and off the deck it was longer as well(hit a par 5 in two day that I generally need a fairway wood to reach). One thing I noticed was a nice launchingangle, the ball seemed to climb nicely to its peak after launch and come downsoftly enabling the user to hold greens on long par 3's and par 5's etc. Inlimited use thus far I am very pleased with the performance. They took a greatperforming club in the i15 and made it even better. Also had a few instances when hitting the club out of the rough and this is where it truly shined. It's pretty much point and shoot with this thing.

Feel (4 Stars)

The feel is wonderful, again similarthe i15, yet sweeter for lack of a better term. The sound for those of you that have hit the driver is muted, which forsome may be music to their ears. Even mishits, one that I had in particular wasout near the toe, the ball still flew fairly straight, lost some height, butstill felt great. The shaft seems to be super smooth, gives good kick, andoverall the club feels like a good weight. I was expecting a club a littlelighter, but I am very happy with the overall weight of the club. Again Ihaven't hit enough balls with it to experience more and/or worse mishits, butthe few that I did experience still turned out okay and felt fine. The club offers a nice solid feel at throughimpact, no harsh vibrations or stinging in the hands. As far as sound and feela golfer can't really ask for more in this department.

Overall bottom line (4.5/5 Stars)

As I mentioned before, PING hasanother winner on their hands here. The i20 is without a doubt an improvementover the i15, and I thought it was going to be hard to outdo their lastoffering. PING has proven me wrong onceagain. They did a great job in taking agreat club and making it even better. Thesize/shape/look are all very pleasing to the eye. The finish is very functionalfor golfers in sunny locations. The stock Project X black shaft is a GREATstock offering as well, can't beat it as far as stock shafts go. The i20 hybridperforms and it performs well. I will be putting my i15 and the i20 head tohead against one another. I have a free spot in my bag so I can always carryboth! I highly recommend this club to those who liked the i15 or currently usethe i15 and are looking for something new. I also recommend this club toplayers seeking a good mixture of forgiveness and workability in a classicalcompact style hybrid head. You can't go wrong with the i20.

On to the pictures (comparison shots are with an i15 20* hybrid):

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned in the review section, I will be updating the thread periodically once I have more feedback through more play, especially in regards to how the black finish wears on the face and sole. I will also be adding more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and I hope you all find it useful. Feel free to ask any questions!

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1334501335' post='4725282']
That hybrid is CLEAN!!
[/quote]

It is. This was before hitting it. Wanted to get some pics before use, and will update through out the season with pictures after using to show how the finish wears.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

I hit it extensively at our demo day. Fantastic hybrid, I even like it with the stock TFC hybrid shaft in it for those who need to get the ball up in the air more. Think Adams a12, with NO offset, and the matte finish is awesome!! Makes it look like a players club, but you don't have to work to hit it.

@Raidernut, I agree it is very easy to hit. Has a great look for an easy to hit hybrid. PING does a great job of making nice looking clubs that are appealing golfers of all levels, that look like more of a players club yet can be used by mid cappers as well as low handicappers.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='dosaile' timestamp='1334659416' post='4736482']
Great review! Looking forward to the additional feedback.
[/quote]

Thanks! Had a very busy weekend and a lot of important business to take care of, but I should have plenty of time this week and this weekend to really give the club some good play, see how the finish holds up and see how it performs for me with more range time and a full round.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

After 31 holes yesterday and a bunch of range time, I can gladly say the i20 has earned a spot in my bag. It flat out performs. Off the tee, off the deck, out of the rough, any lie and this club can handle it and handle it well. Everything about this club is top notch.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the i20's so far. I was dead set on getting the a12's but as soon as I hit these I was hooked. The Pings just felt much smoother than the a12's. I did not get the chance to hit the Project X shaft but picked up the stock Ping in stiff. How do the 2 compare or differ?

So far I am very happy with the Ping shaft, great ball flight and lands soft.

[quote name='bm303' timestamp='1336370977' post='4863630']
Did you ever hit the adams a12 pro hybrid?

I am down to the i20 and the Adams pro a12(with vs proto rip). Only hit the i20 with the Px shaft. I want to try the Ping stock shaft as well.
[/quote]

Yes I did. I played it two rounds. Hit a few times. It felt dead to me. Not the same kind of feeling as the i20. I wanted to like the a12. Picked it up in the trade, just didn't work out for me. It was hard for me to get the ball flight I was looking for.

I generally hit the ball lower, and I was told the PX shaft would give me a higher flat trajectory which sounded perfect for me. I am very pleased with the results so far.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='Buddy333' timestamp='1336409037' post='4865740']
I really like the i20's so far. I was dead set on getting the a12's but as soon as I hit these I was hooked. The Pings just felt much smoother than the a12's. I did not get the chance to hit the Project X shaft but picked up the stock Ping in stiff. How do the 2 compare or differ?

So far I am very happy with the Ping shaft, great ball flight and lands soft.
[/quote]

To me the i20 felt much smoother, easier to launch, but not too easy. Produces the perfect kind of ball flight I was looking for. It looks great. It is easily controllable. I have had success off of many different lies and it performs out of the rough as well.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

Great, now I have to go buy another new club! man_in_love.gif

Thanks for the review and pics, great looking club.

Believe me, you will be happy you did! I really want to put a VTS silver in it, but I've been hitting it so well I really don't want to change anything.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='bdaniel2' timestamp='1336983900' post='4910044']
The 20 degree, replaced what club for you? I was looking to replacing my 5 wood and hit the 17 degree the other day. Any recommendations you could throw out? Great club, and thanks for such a great review.
[/quote]

The i20 20* replaced my i15 20* which is about equal to my 3 iron. I carry the 3 iron, just because I have an empty spot in my bag, but I never hit it. I just picked up a 17* as well, to fit in between the i20 20* and the i20 15* fairway wood.

If you were looking to replace a 5 wood, I would suggest going with the 20*. I believe a 4 wood loft is 17* so 5 wood would most likely be about 19*/20*.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PA-lefty' timestamp='1337111798' post='4920000']
I carry a 2 hybrid that runs 17 degree, so that's what I'll be looking to pick up. Hopefully I can find one, being lefty is a pain!
[/quote]

I recently picked up a 17 degree myself. Filled all the gaps in my bag. Love these i20 hybrids.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1337910906' post='4974092']
I carry a 2 hybrid that runs 17 degree, so that's what I'll be looking to pick up. Hopefully I can find one, being lefty is a pain!
[/quote]

I recently picked up a 17 degree myself. Filled all the gaps in my bag. Love these i20 hybrids.
[/quote]

Just bought a 20 degree today. Thanks for the review. Got it with the 707h ping shaft. Haven't gotten on the course with it yet but man it is sweet. Hit one at a demo day once before and fell in love.

[quote name='bm303' timestamp='1337912964' post='4974260']
[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1337910906' post='4974092']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just bought a 20 degree today. Thanks for the review. Got it with the 707h ping shaft. Haven't gotten on the course with it yet but man it is sweet. Hit one at a demo day once before and fell in love.
[/quote]

I hope it works out for you. The i20 hybrid is a great club. I am very pleased with my two.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1338165127' post='4986854']
I hope it works out for you. The i20 hybrid is a great club. I am very pleased with my two.
[/quote]

Got to play with it yesterday. Only hit it once and it was a beautiful high but flat ballflight that landed on the back of the green and just rolled off the back. About a 225 yard shot. Coming from old cobra hybrids with wet noodle shafts anything would be good. But this club is really nice. Not too hard to hit and won't go left unless you really make a poor swing.

Also had a range session with it and I was very happy.

Now to figure out what 3 wood to get.....

I would look into the i20 3 wood as well. I have one, and it kicked my g15 out of the bag which will be up for sale as soon as I am done with my ad. LOL.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of pictures after about 3 months of use on the range and normal play.

[attachment=1250872:IMG_0444.jpg][attachment=1250874:IMG_0445.jpg]

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Got a lot of great advice from this forum so wanted to post my experience with this club. I hope it is helpful:

I recently purchased a Ping i20 20* project x stiff shaft version of this club and love it. The black color is sweet and the size of head itself is perfect (unlike those larger, almost fairway wood looking hybrids). I'm using this to replace my 3 iron (Ping i20 set) and am not looking back. The club feels and sounds great and has a nice, mid low penatrating ball flight than can be adjusted to a high fade if desired with relative ease. It's very workable and surprisingly forgiving. I tried tons of other hybrids including the adams, calloway, nike, cobra, TM and other Ping (ie. G20) hybrids and while I could hit others a bit farther (especially the adams Super LS), nothing beat the feel, workability and consistency of this club. I have been a longtime adams hybrid guy but happily made the change. My only concern with the club is the durability of the black finish as others have commented on. It does same to wear down a bit quicker than the silver/polished hybrids, but a small price to pay I suppose.

• 1 year later...

I bought the i20 17* today with the lower spin, flatter Ping 707 FST shaft. On sale at Dick's. Good hits on the simulator carried 185-190, total distance around 210. I wanted to match my driver, but couldn't get the TM Stage 2 3W to go straight . I am hoping to get more distance and control from the i20 than my current 17* 3W, a Cleveland UltraLite. On the simulator , the i20 was easy to work both sides.

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

I have played a few rounds with my i20 in 17* and man, am I impressed! I found if you align the club square , it actually goes straight ! And does it ever go! I hit a couple that went 228-229 total distance . That was my max 3W, which this club kicked out of the bag. I hit it to a 190-yd Par 3, against a 1-2 club wind. Ball came off low, hit in front at about 170. I get to the green, it's sitting on it, pin high. This is a great wind cheater! I feel like I've got a secret cannon, able to bomb into targets from obscene distance . The sound is a loud "TING"! The sound of strokes being shaved.

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7