Calling all Parents of Junior Girls

haven't taken the time to post about my daughter's two MAJGT events. It's a regional tour associated with the IJGA. Most events are held in the IL area with a few in neighboring states.

During the weekend of 4/27 & 4/28 we traveled from SE WI to Frankfort, IL to play The Windy City Open. This was her first two day regional event. It was played from about 5,600 yards. She was excited to play, but came down with a horrible cough. Weather was terrible, especially the first day. Mid-40s, some mist, and really windy. The next day was somewhat warmer in the mid 50s, yet still very windy. She coughed her way around both days, had little strength, and did not play well. The course was not long or overly difficult, yet she found trees, and she putted very poorly. She shot 88-89 and finished near the back of the pack of 24 or so girls.

Fast forward two weeks to the Eagle Ridge Open on the North Course and Eagle Ridge Resort in Galena, IL. The cough is gone, the weather is beautiful albeit windy. But this golf course is a different and more difficult animal. Built through the bluffs, it is a resort "cart" course. An unbelievably long and hilly walk. Darn near killed me walking it for two days. The girls field was 24 and includes 8 WI girls, two of which are among the best in the state. They played from 5,850. She went in with no practice round.

What a difference good health and a little more practice makes. She hit the ball fantastically off the tee, hitting 13 of 14 fairways during the first round. The first day her drives were carrying the drives of a WI playing partner, a girl that usually outscored and outhit her last year, more often than not. She hit 11 greens in regulation. She did not chip well, and had 37 putts for an 80. This was good for 6th place after day one. She had two birdies, and one double, missing some other makeable birdies.

Day two she played with one of the better players from WI and an fairly highly ranked girl from IL. She had another fine day off the tee, hitting 12 of 14 fairways. She hit 10 greens. She hit the ball as well as her playing partner from WI, but found two trees on approach shots, from the fairway. Unfortunately this course has some holes where you can hit a nice drive and still have your approach blocked. She putted pretty poorly again with 36 total. Ended up with an 81 for a 161 total.

7th place overall. The event was won by a WI girl who shot 74-74, and my daughter's day two WI playing partner took 3rd with 77-76. My daughter was really excited. This event showed her she can hit the ball as well as, or near as well as, some pretty darn good players. It also showed her her short game and putting are not where they need to be. The event was exciting as there were a number of college coaches there scouting. Not her at 14 years old as no one would know who she is, but other girls. She hit an approach to a foot in front of the Badgers coach who watched her group for four or five holes day one. The Witcheta State coach watched a few holes days one. She played the entire 2nd round in front of a University of Iowa assistant who was following the WI girl, who will be a senior, in her group. Can't hurt I guess.

So today she had a putting lesson. Yesterday we bought a new putter. lol. We then played 7 holes at our club before we had to leave. She was +1 with no 3 putts. Her next event is 6/12-6/14. The WI State Junior Match Play. That should really be fun. So there's time for short game work.

That was a little long, sorry.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1337648540' post='4954532']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1337648011' post='4954454']
@Musky: Congratulations! You must be very proud. :-)
[/quote]

Defcon proud, Sean2. If you know what I'm talking about.
[/quote]
LOL...great memory Musky. Good luck in the The WI State Junior Match Play!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1337831248' post='4968568']
My good friend's 14 year old daughter qualified for the US Women's Open in her Sectional Qualifier (36 holes in one day). There were only two spots open and around 70 golfers. She shot a 74 and a 67 on a very difficult 6500 yard track. :-)

I'm very excited! :-)
[/quote]
That is really amazing golf! It is truly incredible what some of these kids can accomplish, and at such young ages. I wish her the best and look forward to following her progress.

This leads me to another thought. I wonder how many true child prodigies actually make it the highest professional levels in their sport? How many stick with it and succeed, how many stick with it but reach a plateau and cannot progress any further, and how many just end up getting burned out completely?

What percentage of "Junior Major" winners go on to play professionally, or even have successful NCAA careers? I'm talking about the kids who dominate in junior golf. At a glance, one would think that those who master the sport at an earlier age would have a distinct advantage over "late bloomers," but I don't know if that is necessarily true. Has anyone heard of such a study? How about in other sports?

Sounds like an interesting doctoral thesis to me, but alas, I don't have time to go back to school again.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1337883950' post='4971700']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1337831248' post='4968568']
My good friend's 14 year old daughter qualified for the US Women's Open in her Sectional Qualifier (36 holes in one day). There were only two spots open and around 70 golfers. She shot a 74 and a 67 on a very difficult 6500 yard track. :-)

I'm very excited! :-)
[/quote]
That is really amazing golf! It is truly incredible what some of these kids can accomplish, and at such young ages. I wish her the best and look forward to following her progress.

This leads me to another thought. I wonder how many true child prodigies actually make it the highest professional levels in their sport? How many stick with it and succeed, how many stick with it but reach a plateau and cannot progress any further, and how many just end up getting burned out completely?

What percentage of "Junior Major" winners go on to play professionally, or even have successful NCAA careers? I'm talking about the kids who dominate in junior golf. At a glance, one would think that those who master the sport at an earlier age would have a distinct advantage over "late bloomers," but I don't know if that is necessarily true. Has anyone heard of such a study? How about in other sports?

Sounds like an interesting doctoral thesis to me, but alas, I don't have time to go back to school again.
[/quote]
That's a good question. I think a lot of it has to do with the parents. In this case the parents are doing a great job. No pressure.

Pressure from parents is a factor I'm sure, but so is the relentless grind that is required to play at the highest level. Some kids put plenty of pressure on themeselves, even if the parents do not. Kids are starting at younger ages than ever before. It is the Tiger Woods/Michelle Wie effect, and each represents both the good and the bad associated with the singular and relentless pursuit of mastery beginning from such a young age.

It is almost to the point where if you don't start your kids playing competitively by age 8, they will be forever playing "catch-up." In the end, I think it would be incredibly interesting to see statistics on the ultimate success of junior golfers who started playing competitively at such young ages, compared to those who start playing somewhat later. Jack Nicklaus and Annika Sorenstam did not start playing golf until around the age of 12, but still made to the very top. Is this still possible today with most starting out so much younger?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1337955813' post='4976122']
Pressure from parents is a factor I'm sure, but so is the relentless grind that is required to play at the highest level. Some kids put plenty of pressure on themeselves, even if the parents do not. Kids are starting at younger ages than ever before. It is the Tiger Woods/Michelle Wie effect, and each represents both the good and the bad associated with the singular and relentless pursuit of mastery beginning from such a young age.

It is almost to the point where if you don't start your kids playing competitively by age 8, they will be forever playing "catch-up." In the end, I think it would be incredibly interesting to see statistics on the ultimate success of junior golfers who started playing competitively at such young ages, compared to those who start playing somewhat later. Jack Nicklaus and Annika Sorenstam did not start playing golf until around the age of 12, but still made to the very top. Is this still possible today with most starting out so much younger?
[/quote]
I'm sure it's possible, but it would require a great amount of talent. But you raise a good point: pressure. These are kids. How much pressure can they stand, and how much should they stand? Fun, joy, and a genuine love of the game has to be a critical component too.

Took some brief video of my daughter today working on her swing. These 3/4 sand wedges were supposed to be the 9-3 drill:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uZ0qn08_WM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_uZ0qn08_WM[/url]

DTL:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLMYafnE0U&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen[/url]

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

"What percentage of "Junior Major" winners go on to play professionally, or even have successful NCAA careers? I'm talking about the kids who dominate in junior golf. At a glance, one would think that those who master the sport at an earlier age would have a distinct advantage over "late bloomers," but I don't know if that is necessarily true. Has anyone heard of such a study? "

I did a little "Googling" of District and State champions of the WJGA (their archives go back about 10 years), and for girls, I was astonished how many played college golf. I didn't think it would be too high, but it was REALLY high. Heck, even sub-district winners who didn't advance to the state tourney showed up on college rosters.

[quote name='Man In The Miura' timestamp='1338255953' post='4991744']
"What percentage of "Junior Major" winners go on to play professionally, or even have successful NCAA careers? I'm talking about the kids who dominate in junior golf. At a glance, one would think that those who master the sport at an earlier age would have a distinct advantage over "late bloomers," but I don't know if that is necessarily true. Has anyone heard of such a study? "

I did a little "Googling" of District and State champions of the WJGA (their archives go back about 10 years), and for girls, I was astonished how many played college golf. I didn't think it would be too high, but it was REALLY high. Heck, even sub-district winners who didn't advance to the state tourney showed up on college rosters.
[/quote]

Yea, my un-scientific Google research indicated the same thing. I suppose the opportunity for scholarship and the chance to compete in college are enticing incentives. The thing I noticed though, with a few exceptions, is that the kids winning the big junior titles at 10-12 years old don't necessarily go on to be the best collegiate players.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[/quote]

I'm not sure about the winners, but here is some interesting numbers.

2,200,000 junior golfers active in the US
226,000 juniors playing competitive golf
5,500 golfers playing at the NCAA Division 1 Level
446 men and women playing on the PGA/LPGA tour

From 'Journey to Excellence' by Henry Brunton

[quote name='docurist' timestamp='1338847630' post='5030216']

[/quote]

I'm not sure about the winners, but here is some interesting numbers.

2,200,000 junior golfers active in the US
226,000 juniors playing competitive golf
5,500 golfers playing at the NCAA Division 1 Level
446 men and women playing on the PGA/LPGA tour

From 'Journey to Excellence' by Henry Brunton
[/quote]

Interesting numbers, but if you have ever been to a junior tournament, you know that there are [b]way [/b]more boys competing than girls. So, if there are 226k competitive juniors, I would bet that less than 20% of those actual "competitive" players are girls.

On another note, my daughter and I are in our club's couple's match play championship. We won our first match last night in dramatic fashion. We were 4 down with 7 to play, and ended up pulling off a one up win on 18. I eagled the 12th, and my daughter had natural birdies on 14, 16, and 17. It was a great experience for her to see that you can fight your way back into a match like that. She ended up shooting 78 and ol' dad shot 69. ;)

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a new set of clubs for my daughter. She had outgrown the us kids clubs with regard to shaft flex.

Worked with ping rep and got g20 irons with a TFC 72 shaft in them 5- sw. She hit a g20 driver and a k15 driver and hit the k15 much better. Hung the g20 driver out to the right but hit her normal little draw with the k15. The rep had said before she hit he expected that to happen.

Anyway, her us kids woods were a 16 degree driver and a 19 3w, 23 5w and 26 4 hybrid. The ping rep suggested to match her loft vs the club so went with k15 driver 12 degree but then went to the k15 19 degree 5w and then put in a k15 hybrid club that is 23 degree then the g20 5 iron is 26 degree. Matches her previous #'s. He did also suggest he might add a 7w. It's 22 degree and close to the hybrid but said because its a fairway wood would fit the gap. I don't know....

My question is the k15 hybrid - why did he put that in vs the g20 hybrid to match the irons? I understand keeping the fairway woods all be k15 but thought hybrid maybe should match irons. What is the diff in k15 hybrid vs g20??

Someone mentioned they thought the k15 hybrids could be lie adjusted and she had to get brown dot but I looked and it is standard black.

Thoughts?

[quote name='juniorgolf18' timestamp='1341103813' post='5196214']
I just got a new set of clubs for my daughter. She had outgrown the us kids clubs with regard to shaft flex.

Worked with ping rep and got g20 irons with a TFC 72 shaft in them 5- sw. She hit a g20 driver and a k15 driver and hit the k15 much better. Hung the g20 driver out to the right but hit her normal little draw with the k15. The rep had said before she hit he expected that to happen.

Anyway, her us kids woods were a 16 degree driver and a 19 3w, 23 5w and 26 4 hybrid. The ping rep suggested to match her loft vs the club so went with k15 driver 12 degree but then went to the k15 19 degree 5w and then put in a k15 hybrid club that is 23 degree then the g20 5 iron is 26 degree. Matches her previous #'s. He did also suggest he might add a 7w. It's 22 degree and close to the hybrid but said because its a fairway wood would fit the gap. I don't know....

My question is the k15 hybrid - why did he put that in vs the g20 hybrid to match the irons? I understand keeping the fairway woods all be k15 but thought hybrid maybe should match irons. What is the diff in k15 hybrid vs g20??

Someone mentioned they thought the k15 hybrids could be lie adjusted and she had to get brown dot but I looked and it is standard black.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

The K series hybrid will provide more of a draw bias that will help your daughter turn the ball over from right to left. This is most likely the reason he went with the K hybrid. The G series hybrids are made to provide more of a neutral flight. Since most youngsters have trouble with slicing their longer clubs, especially when moving up to a longer & stiffer shafted set, the K series sounds like a good choice.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

She has a natural draw but is hitting the K 5w straight as well as the driver. Likes the hybrid too. We may add the 7w or 3hybrid if there is a gap.

I have since spoken to the ping rep and he said he added the K 4 hybrid because he said have had great feedback on it vs the g hybrids. He said the forgiveness is better and easy to hit but in essence same technology and performance. That's why he put it in and also said he wanted conformity with all her "woods".

I haven't read much of this thread, and I'm sure this isn't a problem for most poeple, but...

Please do not be one of those parents who gets upset at their kid for playing bad, forces them to hit balls after a round, outwardly shows frustration towards them, etc.

It does not lead to success or happiness, and I have seen way way too much of it. It is really pitiful.

• Like 1

[quote name='OptionlessM' timestamp='1341169025' post='5199140']
I haven't read much of this thread, and I'm sure this isn't a problem for most poeple, but...

Please do not be one of those parents who gets upset at their kid for playing bad, forces them to hit balls after a round, outwardly shows frustration towards them, etc.

It does not lead to success or happiness, and I have seen way way too much of it. It is really pitiful.
[/quote]

Agreed. See this all too often.

[quote name='OptionlessM' timestamp='1341169025' post='5199140']

[/quote]

Very well said. It's sad. Gotta be fun or they won't play at all. Much less good. And once they get a taste of good they want more. Its a delicate balance. Sometimes I feel more like a sports psychologist. Lol

So here's a question for you guys. I've got a soon who turns 5 in a couple of months and he's taken an interest in golf. I took him to the club with me last week during twilight so he could ride along. I let him tee it up from the cart signs and he loved it, and he wanted to play all 18. He likes going with me to practice as well.

I hesitant to give him any real instruction but I'm wondering if you've got any different thoughts. He's got a kids set of clubs already.

Any pointers here?

[quote name='Miller192' timestamp='1341250902' post='5204834']
So here's a question for you guys. I've got a soon who turns 5 in a couple of months and he's taken an interest in golf. I took him to the club with me last week during twilight so he could ride along. I let him tee it up from the cart signs and he loved it, and he wanted to play all 18. He likes going with me to practice as well.

I hesitant to give him any real instruction but I'm wondering if you've got any different thoughts. He's got a kids set of clubs already.

Any pointers here?
[/quote]

Miller.....if you don't mind please start a new thread as your questions may be lost in this one. I have a soon to be 6 y/o who is a fanatic golfer and will be happy to share some thoughts.

Chris

[quote name='Miller192' timestamp='1341250902' post='5204834']

Any pointers here?
[/quote]

I don't think lessons are important at that age if you know the basic fundamentals well enough. My recommendation would be to teach him the very basics in terms of a sound, ten-finger grip, and a good posture / address position. I had a lot of luck just guiding my daughter to the top of backswing position, telling her to hold it until I said "go," and then letting her step to her left foot and give it a whack. After several times, she was able to swing the club back and get into a decent enough top-of-backswing postion to make a swing at it and propel the ball.

Once they get the basic motion, most kids will intuitively figure out how to hit the ball. You should also teach him to chip, but show him how to do it without flipping his hands at it. This helps kids develop a nice little pivot.

The most important thing is to keep it fun, and let him develop his skills and interest level at his own pace, but with your encouragement. Also, if he is having a bad day and struggling to hit it, get him out of there and move on to something different/fun. You want every golf experience to be positive at that age. Frustration will only discourage him and make him not want to go to the course next time with you.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering if any parents here knew kids or have/had kids who went to a full-time golf academy? If you have an opinion on something like IJGA or IMG academies can you tell me what you think?

My family and I have been considering a year there (junior year) but are looking for other opinions on the effectiveness of a year dedicated to golf, how much improvement is actually possible, quality of instructors etc...

My daughter and I have come into contact with several juniors who have gone this route. It is a pretty expensive proposition. One girl who played at our our home course in the summers was going to the IJGA Academy in Hilton Head. She seemed to work pretty hard on her game, but she was not a very strong player. I think she started playing golf a little bit later than most of the star juniors, like around 13 or 14. She has not been around this year, so I'm not sure of her progress.

We met a girl last year at the US Kids World Championships who has been in touch with us and has decided to enroll there as well. She has not started yet so it is yet to be seen how much success she has. Another friend's daughter went to the IMG academy in Bradenton, FL, for 2 years, then left when one of the instructor's broke away from IMG and started his own thing. Anyway, she just completed her freshman year on a full DI scholarship and is doing well. She is kind of a small girl however, and not particularly athletic looking. IMO she will never be a star, but she's got a decent game nonetheless.

I think for some, the training academies (golf high schools) can be great...especially if it's YOUR dream to attend one of them. That said, if you have good local instruction, a supportive family at home to motivate you, the resources to help you travel to lessons and tournaments, and access to a decent practice facility and golf course, I believe for most, that is a hard combination to beat in terms of developing into the best junior player you can be.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Man In The Miura' timestamp='1336355406' post='4862406']
I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were roomates! She'll be the girl with the UW Huskies bag. Her friend from junior golf (state champion for her age) will be there. Look out... they're a wild duo.
[/quote]
Funny thing is that I met both of them and they're awesome. We're having tons of fun an hangin out a lot do far. They're hilarious

• 1 month later...

My 11 y.o. daughter just played her first 18 from the red tees (5200 yds) and shot a 95. She isn't a big hitter, but is consistent with all her clubs. She's played in a couple of U.S. Kids local tours and shoots in the low 40's from their distances. Yes, I am a proud Papa who enjoys going out and hanging with his girl.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='JBirdUt' timestamp='1346791583' post='5586399']
My 11 y.o. daughter just played her first 18 from the red tees (5200 yds) and shot a 95. She isn't a big hitter, but is consistent with all her clubs. She's played in a couple of U.S. Kids local tours and shoots in the low 40's from their distances. Yes, I am a proud Papa who enjoys going out and hanging with his girl.
[/quote]
That's great! Congrats

Awesome stuff! Get her into one of the US Kids Regionals if you can. It's great fun for the girls competing against a decent sized field of kids the same age. My daughter is 13, and won a regional championship this year and had a top 15 at the Teen Worlds in Pinehurst. US Kids does a great job with their tour. You and your kid will have a blast!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Daughter just shot 1 under in her U.S kids local, from 1900 yards. She birdied four of the first six holes. She had one bogie and one double. The rest of the holes were pars. This betters her best round by five stokes. It was great watching her play at a level I wish I could play at. It was great to see all her practicing pay off.
She will play in the Desert Shootout, in Phoenix, this next February.