Bump - Great course!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Driver

Sub 70 949X - 3W

Sub 70 949X - 7W

Sub 70 600 Pro V2 Black 4-PW

Sub 70 286 Forged Wedges 50* & 56*

Sub 70 JB Forged 60*

Scotty Cameron - PhantomX 5.5

IU was in decent shape. We have had a good bit of rain in the last few days so the whole course was a bit soft. The fairways were shaggy, but the greens were pretty smooth. All in all it was a good day. Helps that I drove the ball really well all day. Below is a picture of the 11th (380 yards par 4). This is my favorite hole on the course. As a lefty that plays a little fade, I line it up at the trees just right of the cart in the picture. There is more room out there than you would think from the picture.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1335748734' post='4812410']
IU was in decent shape. We have had a good bit of rain in the last few days so the whole course was a bit soft. The fairways were shaggy, but the greens were pretty smooth. All in all it was a good day. Helps that I drove the ball really well all day. Below is a picture of the 11th (380 yards par 4). This is my favorite hole on the course. As a lefty that plays a little fade, I line it up at the trees just right of the cart in the picture. There is more room out there than you would think from the picture.
[/quote]

Yep...IU has the bones to be an awesome course.....in that the natural hills and woods give it great potential. If they got someone like Dye to come do a redesign, it could be a top course in the state. It badly needs updated irrigation, and the turf needs to be taken out and re-done. I knew Pete only charged Purdue $1 to redesign Kampen. Wish IU could get the funds and get the same deal. Pete is getting up there in years...

• 2 weeks later...

I cant wait as Monday morning I'm leaving to drive to southern Illinois to play 36 at Kokopelli (sight of the 2012 Illinois amateur) and then driving back north early Tuesday morning to play 36 at Kempen. I have not played either course but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

PXG gen5 0311 10.5 riptide blue
15* Sub70 939 Riptide blue
sub70 699 pro s300
Titleist sm9 s400
TM Spider tour red 35"

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1337181684' post='4924944']
Anyone played West Chase in Brownsburg? Thoughts?
[/quote]

Decent track, wouldn't drive too far out of my way to play there. There are some fun holes, but the conditions are usually just average. A good course in that area is Twin Bridges in Danville, a lot of fun. Not very long, but a fun layout that requires some strategy. I believe they usually have specials on Wednesday's, they did in the past anyway.

TM M2 8.5* Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6X+
TM TP UDi #1 w/ Diamana
TM TP UDi #3, MC 4-7, MB 8-P w/ Tour V S+
TM TP EF Tour Issue 50* & 56*, 62*
TM Spider Mallet w/ Carbon insert
TM TPx

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1337265186' post='4931070']
I am going to be in Indy for most of next week for a conference. I was thinking of playing Brickyard Crossing on Monday about noon, anyone want to play?
[/quote]

You might want to call (if you haven't) to check and see if it will be open. Their schedule around the race is always a little different, and having just played there in the past couple of days, they said there are several "outings"...500 club, etc. Have fun, it's in SPECTACULAR shape right now...probably as good as i've seen it.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1337265900' post='4931136']

You might want to call (if you haven't) to check and see if it will be open. Their schedule around the race is always a little different, and having just played there in the past couple of days, they said there are several "outings"...500 club, etc. Have fun, it's in SPECTACULAR shape right now...probably as good as i've seen it.
[/quote]

They are open and they got me hooked up with a twosome. I will post back after the round.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1337515145' post='4945254']
[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1337265900' post='4931136']

[/quote]

They are open and they got me hooked up with a twosome. I will post back after the round.
[/quote]

Good to hear. It's in great shape, probably one of the best public course conditions you'll play on.

Hope you had a good time.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Toulon Garage - Austin

[size="3"]This has been a good week. As I said in an previous post, I played Brickyard Crossing on Monday. The course was in fantastic shape and it was really a good layout, but the setting next-to and inside the Speedway is what really sets this place a part. They were running the two-seater indy cars all day and it made for a really different experience. Standing on the tee on #7 seeing the pagoda off to the left and hearing cars scream down the back stretch at 200+ mph was just a bit surreal.
[attachment=1178270:by7.jpg]

Here is a shot of #13 with the grandstand towering in the background
[/size][attachment=1178276:by13.jpg]

[size="3"]Since I had such a good time Monday, I blew off the closing peech of the conference I was at and went up and played Trophy Club on Wednesday. Conditioning was not quit that of Brickyard, but for what I paid it was great. I love the Trophy Club, with all the run offs and collection areas it is just a really fun golf course. Since that went so well I have decided I need to get an early start on the holiday weekend and am headed down to French Lick to play the Ross on Friday.[/size]

***Update***
French Lick is booked up, so I had to settle for The Fort.

[size="3"]And of course no trip to Indy is complete with out a visit to Shapiro's
[/size][attachment=1178280:cornbeef.jpg]

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1335455799' post='4793990']
Here's my list of courses I'm planning to play this year

Never played before:

Fox Prairie
Wood Wind
GC of Indiana
West Chase
Plum Creek
Brookshire
Ironwood
Gray Eagle
Pebble Brook

Played before and going back:

Bear Slide
Fort
Trophy Club
River Glen
Purgatory
Brickyard
Prairie View
Coffin
Hawk's Tail
Royal Highlands
Heartland Crossing
Eagle Creek

Am I missing any?? Let me know your thoughts, particularly on the one's I haven't visited yet.

Wow, that's a lotta golf....better get going. And I'm sure I'll have a few other trips to courses a bit further out, like Martinsville CC.

[/quote]

Other than Plum Creek (and that's even questionable) I'd tell you to replay Trophy Club, Purgatory, and Heartland Crossing, and the Brickyard.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1337872820' post='4970476']
[size="3"]This has been a good week. As I said in an previous post, I played Brickyard Crossing on Monday. The course was in fantastic shape and it was really a good layout, but the setting next-to and inside the Speedway is what really sets this place a part. They were running the two-seater indy cars all day and it made for a really different experience. Standing on the tee on #7 seeing the pagoda off to the left and hearing cars scream down the back stretch at 200+ mph was just a bit surreal.
[attachment=1178270:by7.jpg]

Here is a shot of #13 with the grandstand towering in the background
[/size][attachment=1178276:by13.jpg]

[size="3"]Since I had such a good time Monday, I blew off the closing peech of the conference I was at and went up and played Trophy Club on Wednesday. Conditioning was not quit that of Brickyard, but for what I paid it was great. I love the Trophy Club, with all the run offs and collection areas it is just a really fun golf course. Since that went so well I have decided I need to get an early start on the holiday weekend and am headed down to French Lick to play the Ross on Friday.[/size]

***Update***
French Lick is booked up, so I had to settle for The Fort.

[size="3"]And of course no trip to Indy is complete with out a visit to Shapiro's
[/size][attachment=1178280:cornbeef.jpg]
[/quote]
You sir know how to spend your free time!! Thats quite a drive from Indy to French Lick. The Forts a good replacment though. LOL
Paul

I wouldn't drive all the way to Frenchlick for the Ross course...for the Dye, absolutely...just bring your checkbook. It's about $450 with all fees, and you need to stay there.

However, if you don't mind a tiny drive from Indy, go to Columbus and play Otter Creek...GREAT public track.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1337962110' post='4976788']
I wouldn't drive all the way to Frenchlick for the Ross course...for the Dye, absolutely...just bring your checkbook. It's about $450 with all fees, and you need to stay there.

However, if you don't mind a tiny drive from Indy, go to Columbus and play Otter Creek...GREAT public track.
[/quote]

Yep otter creek has some good deals going on golf now. For years, that course was rated best public course in the state, and was top 100 public nationally. With the golf construction boom, it slipped a bit, but it's still a great older, championship level track.

Play the original 18 if you go...the newer 9 was designed by Rees Jones, and is just fine, but didn't have the old RTJ charm of the original.

Just planned a golf weekend in August with my two brother's in law. Playing Brickyard (36), Purgatory (36) and The Fort(18). I have played the fort twice in the last two years but have not played the other two tracks.

I see some Otter Creek talk above. WHile I liked it when I played it a couple of years ago, it didn't give me that wow factor nicer courses often have. Liked it fine, but didn't love it. I personaly like The Fort better.

[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1337962110' post='4976788']

[/quote]

I have the hardware from your recent brickyard victory, next time we play we will drink out of it.

Made it to the Fort this morning. It was in good shape and was I had a great time. This was the third time in the last 2 months I have been out to the Fort and I am starting to be able to remember the where to hit the ball to take advantage of the slopes. When you can start to run it of the slopes it really makes a difference. I had such a good time I stopped at my home course when I got back to town and walked 9 more. All in all it has been a great week. Unfortunately I am actually going to have to do some work next week.

marmooskapaul,
I live in Bloomignton, so the drive to the Ross is not bad at all. It is about the same for me to French Lick or The Fort.

dgrelecki,
You were spot on with your assessment of the Brickyard and its conditioning. It was fantastic. I really did enjoy the round and look forward to making it back up there later this year. I am taking my Dad to Koler this fall and I am trying to hit as many Dye course as I can this summer. I have not played the Dye at French Lick, but have a tentative plan to play it in Aug. I am playing up at Eagle Creek in June and hope to get to Plume Creek and Maple Creek as well. I am not sure I will have a chance to make it up to Kampen but I might try.

Last year I did a Ross tour, and I am on record as saying that for me the Ross Course at FL is the best public in the state (remember I have not played the Dye yet). I think I would do the drive from Indy to French Lick to play the Ross (if I had to) at the drop of a hat. I love Ross courses and I think the one at FL stacks up well to the big name Ross courses in the Pinehurst area.
[color="#2b3730"][b]
[/b][/color]

Wow, you would think by all of these posts golf is only played in Indy and below in Indiana.

Lots of great courses up here in northern Indiana, but seems no one from up north is on golfwrx.

Giving a shout out to Christiana Creek in Elkhart. The greens are in fantastic shape, rolling fast and true.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

Yep...IU has the bones to be an awesome course.....in that the natural hills and woods give it great potential. If they got someone like Dye to come do a redesign, it could be a top course in the state. It badly needs updated irrigation, and the turf needs to be taken out and re-done. I knew Pete only charged Purdue $1 to redesign Kampen. Wish IU could get the funds and get the same deal. Pete is getting up there in years...

Pete did offer IU the same deal about 5 years ago but he wanted to get rid of a bunch of trees and add a few holes on some adjacent land that the university owns. But the liberal element of B-town had a hissy about a few trees and the plan fell apart.

[quote name='hublee' timestamp='1337999380' post='4979600']

Pete did offer IU the same deal about 5 years ago but he wanted to get rid of a bunch of trees and add a few holes on some adjacent land that the university owns. But the liberal element of B-town had a hissy about a few trees and the plan fell apart.
[/quote]

I had never heard about IU being offered the same deal as Purdue by Dye. That really is a shame because there are a lot of good holes on that land just waiting to be built. I do know that in 1999/2000 there was a proposal by a private group of alumni to build a second course on land just adjacent to the current course. It was to be a Jack Nicklaus signature design and was going to be very private. While at the time there was some talk about the environmental impact, the killer was the attempt to build a private club on public university property. In the plan the group had offered honorary memberships to the IU President, the AD and a few others. I think this drove the faculty council over the edge and the project never got off the ground.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1338055367' post='4981584']
[quote name='hublee' timestamp='1337999380' post='4979600']

[/quote]

I had never heard about IU being offered the same deal as Purdue by Dye. That really is a shame because there are a lot of good holes on that land just waiting to be built. I do know that in 1999/2000 there was a proposal by a private group of alumni to build a second course on land just adjacent to the current course. It was to be a Jack Nicklaus signature design and was going to be very private. While at the time there was some talk about the environmental impact, the killer was the attempt to build a private club on public university property. In the plan the group had offered honorary memberships to the IU President, the AD and a few others. I think this drove the faculty council over the edge and the project never got off the ground.
[/quote]
You are right it was the Nicklaus deal and the faculty council shot it down for the reasons you said. I don't know how B-town could keep two private courses going. The country club supposedly only stays open because of a tiny group of rich guys who want it, that is what I have heard a couple of times.

Hey guys I just moved out here last year for dental school and so I am still kind of new to the area (in regards to golf courses) so I wanted to get your suggestions on places to play that are reasonably priced. I have only played a few different courses in the area and have played Buffer Park the most just because it's the closest. I love that course but just wish it was 18 holes. From what I've read, The Fort and the course at Brickyard Crossing are great. Any others? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

[quote name='AboveParGolfer' timestamp='1338238876' post='4990336']
Hey guys I just moved out here last year for dental school and so I am still kind of new to the area (in regards to golf courses) so I wanted to get your suggestions on places to play that are reasonably priced. I have only played a few different courses in the area and have played Buffer Park the most just because it's the closest. I love that course but just wish it was 18 holes. From what I've read, The Fort and the course at Brickyard Crossing are great. Any others? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
[/quote]

I'd give heartland crossing a try. It's real close to buffer park. Lots of good deals either twilight or on golf now. Some don't like it because the crazy amount of sand, but i think it's a great track for the money. I haven't played it on a couple years, but used to always be in great shape.

If you want cheap also try Deer Creek...it's not that far from that side of town.

Martinsville
Legends
Eagle Creek
Hickory Stick

are all in your general region, and all can be had pretty cheap on golf now or off peak times.

Trophy club
Purgatory
Fort
Brickyard
Prairie view
Bear Slide

Are all upper end courses, and are all great....mostly all on the north side.

[quote name='mark092974' timestamp='1338163797' post='4986760']
I played Grey Eagle Friday night for the first time. I was really impressed by the design but it was in very so so condition. Too bad, it really could be a great course for the money.
[/quote]

Sadly this seems to be the consistent theme of all RN Thompson run courses. Nice layouts, bad conditioning. I avoid all their courses now. Ironwood is the same. Winding Ridge even worse. Southern dunes is slightly better.