2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

need a new ball - nike one plat/black running out

golfernut78

i loaded up on the 2007 nike one blacks and nike one platinums late 2007, early 2008 when i was finding them for about $25 a dozen. over 4 years later, and i am down to my less 5 sleeves of the black and 7 sleeves of the platinums. now it is time to stock up again, but i don't know what to play - that you can find good deals on. years ago i gave teh taylormade tp red a shot and liked it a lot. haven't had much success with the callaway premium balls (the hx tour was a disaster for me - and i gave away two sleeves of them after winning a dozen because they were such a nighmare). this past weekend i got out and played and was able to use the new titliest pro-v1s. i've never thought much of th pro-v1. for me, it was nothing special, costs the most of the premium balls, and rarely if ever was on sale. i had got a dozen of the 1x. first cople of holes my drivers seemed shorter than normal. i didn't think much of it, just figured it was my swing, however i realized, my iron distances are normal. one of the guys i was playing with was playing the pro-v1 and wanted to try the 1x so we swtiched. same with the pro-v1, drives were short. i pretty much being out driven on every hole - and this is playing with someone who i routinely out drive by 10-15 yards. on the back nine, i made the change to a one black and proceeded to hit a 290 yard drive, out driving everyone by 30 yards.

so, i want a ball that is close to the nike one plat/black as possible. i'm open for suggestions.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='yumanike' timestamp='1337608687' post='4950244']
Nike Tour and Tour D? You can also pick up the Black and Platinum at Lostgolfballs.com who I've always had a great experience with.
[/quote]

Yea I'd agree on the Tour D's. I played them for a few years & loved them. Switched to the 20XI-X & I actually almost think I preferred the Tour D.

i did the used ball route once before and had mixed results. bought from lostgolfballs and while i ordered the AAAAA, i did have some distance loss with some of them compared to new balls. this was side by side.

i've been looking on the bay for the blacks, but no luck, unless i look at used - see above.

i will check the one tour d out, but this too is a ball that is becoming hard to come by. any other suggestions?

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='golfernut78' timestamp='1337717233' post='4959734']
i did the used ball route once before and had mixed results. bought from lostgolfballs and while i ordered the AAAAA, i did have some distance loss with some of them compared to new balls. this was side by side.

i've been looking on the bay for the blacks, but no luck, unless i look at used - see above.

i will check the one tour d out, but this too is a ball that is becoming hard to come by. any other suggestions?
[/quote]

I switched to the 20XI-X last year & loved the distance I got from it, BUT I hated the feel on & around the green. Today I played my 1st round with the ProV1 & am absolutely in love. Shot my 2nd lowest rd ever. Didn't lose any distance & gained a tremendous amount of feel.

I think I have a good estimate for you as I played the One platinum (and the black a little) for a years, and I've been trying to find a ball that plays like them

The platinum and even the blacks have great short iron/wedge spin. I think you'll find going to a lower spin ball like the Tour D will be a big change ( It was for me ). Too big of an adjustment to make for me.

I found the One tour to be a really similar ball to the platinum and even the black, still with good spin. The new 20XI's are also similar to the platinum (the 20XI S spins even more then that platinum ! and is a touch longer IMO) The 20xi's do have a slightly harder feel tho

Overall I think the closest you're going to get to the Plat is the Nike One Tour. Both the 20XI's play close to the plat as well. Also look at some 08 TP Blacks and some new Wilson FG Tour X's.

[quote name='tampay' timestamp='1337733862' post='4961338']
I think I have a good estimate for you as I played the One platinum (and the black a little) for a years, and I've been trying to find a ball that plays like them

The platinum and even the blacks have great short iron/wedge spin. I think you'll find going to a lower spin ball like the Tour D will be a big change ( It was for me ). Too big of an adjustment to make for me.

I found the One tour to be a really similar ball to the platinum and even the black, still with good spin. The new 20XI's are also similar to the platinum (the 20XI S spins even more then that platinum ! and is a touch longer IMO) The 20xi's do have a slightly harder feel tho

Overall I think the closest you're going to get to the Plat is the Nike One Tour. Both the 20XI's play close to the plat as well. Also look at some 08 TP Blacks and some new Wilson FG Tour X's.
[/quote]

the 2008 tp red and black were a favorite too. didn't stock up on them though. tried looking for them too, but not seeing any left overs. i need to go hit some targets. years ago i was finding precept utri tours on the shelf for $25 a dozen.

Try the new Innovex V - Motion golf ball. Cast urethane tour ball with great distance and unreal feel around the green! You can get them from amazon.com or edwin watts for 32.95!

I played the pro v1x for years and switched to the Innovex because the soft feel and responsiveness around the green is so good! I didn't lose any yardage off the tee, and around the green it felt like a balata ball from years ago! and at the price point its the best ball out! A premium ball for $33 a dozen.... so nice!!!!!!!!!!