RATE MY GOLF SWING- new swing added

iaindan

please comment on my swing, advice needed i'm struggling
here's my golf swing from the side and behind, please comment on my swing or if you see something wrong with it

My swing behind
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRnN3Ym6uo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRnN3Ym6uo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

My swing side
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVM7ttfh6U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVM7ttfh6U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

My swing 11/3/2007
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNcv0E3ekM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNcv0E3ekM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Set up from the side seemed alright, but from behind it looked like your chin was to close to your chest. The top of your swing was fine (parralel to ground) but I just want to know if you struggle with iron consistency because for an iron that is almost too long for a conventional or modern swing.

ย 

I don't confess to being a "swing king" but that is just what I noticed from what I know a swing should look like.

ย 

I would also like to know why you stop 3/4 through your swing.

Set up from the side seemed alright, but from behind it looked like your chin was to close to your chest. The top of your swing was fine (parralel to ground) but I just want to know if you struggle with iron consistency because for an iron that is almost too long for a conventional or modern swing.

ย 

I would also like to know why you stop 3/4 through your swing.

ย 

yes i do struggle with iron consistency, i have a high trajectory with my irons which annoys me when i want a lower penetrating flight.

ย 

the 3/4 swing helps me set my wrists, but they should set halfway back

Basically, a pretty good swing, IMHO. The high flight should occur with your grip and top of swing position. Your right hand grip is very weak and it appears that your left wrist is cupped in the transition area of your action.

ย 

ย 

There is also an upper body rop as you begin your downswing followed by an upper body raise which is likely a reaction to the dip.

ย 

ย 

1. Keeping your spine angle through the transition;

ย 

2 strengthen your right hand into a neutral position; and

ย 

3. work to keep your left wrist flat at the top of the swing and into the downswing should lower the trajectory and likely give you a nice draw.

Basically, a pretty good swing, IMHO. The high flight should occur with your grip and top of swing position. Your right hand grip is very weak and it appears that your left wrist is cupped in the transition area of your action.

ย 

ย 

There is also an upper body rop as you begin your downswing followed by an upper body raise which is likely a reaction to the dip.

ย 

ย 

1. Keeping your spine angle through the transition;

ย 

2 strengthen your right hand into a neutral position; and

ย 

3. work to keep your left wrist flat at the top of the swing and into the downswing should lower the trajectory and likely give you a nice draw.

ย 

what do you mean by my left wrist is cupped in the transistion area

ย 

next time i see my coach he said we will work on the heels raising at impact

ย 

and do you have any advice to help me keep my spine angle through the transition

what do you mean by my left wrist is cupped in the transistion area

ย 

next time i see my coach he said we will work on the heels raising at impact

ย 

and do you have any advice to help me keep my spine angle through the transition

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Hi,

ย 

ย 

ย 

The cupped left wrist is when the wrist is bent back a little rather than flat with the back of your forearm. Your teacher can show you. The transition is the end of the backswing and beginning of the downswing.

ย 

ย 

ย 

A possible swing drill for keeping your spine angle is to practice a slow mo swing with someone trying to keep your head in the same place. Your current move is to drop down and towards the ball rather than having the movement take place beneath you instead of at the top of your body. In the backswing, take a tip from Tiger and build up the weight on the right heel and do not let it move onto your toes as you move with your torso/core area.

ย 

ย 

ย 

I am glad your are working with a coach as I would gladly defer to him rather than have you depend on this advice. If you think it is logical for you, run it by him for his take.

I find in my swing that if I shorten my swing so that it is more controlled, my ball flight flattens out and becomes more penetrating. Try swinging from just past 3/4 and it should flatten out your swing and keep the same or similar distance to what you currently hit.

ย 

By the way, I can understand that you want to lower you ballflight as you live in the UK

The one big thing I noticed is that it appears that at the start of your downswing, your right shoulder moves out and towards the ball as a trigger. My guess would be that you probably tend to miss hit shots a little bit out on the toe. If you can work on letting your arms drop down into the slot and not letting your upper body (i.e. shoulders) take too much control, you will end up with more consistent contact.

I paused your swing at the top, you're over swinging just a bit.

ย 

Try this to straighten your hook.

ย 

Just stick a club head cover under your right arm and hold it there during the swing, it can drop on your follow through, that's ok, but try holding ti there during your back swing.

ย 

This will help to eliminate any over swing, and help creat consistancy.

ย 

When you're on the range though, put a club head cover under both arms and just make half swings with a 7 iron holding both in place.

ย 

Hogan did these drills every day, and did the second drill every morning for 20 minutes right after he woke up.

I have a very similar problem with hitting the ball too high even with irons intended to lower ball flight. It's actually a nice problem to have when there is no wind because you can land a long iron on the green with a towering high shot...but when the wind kicks up...you're struggling.

ย 

I'm definitely not a swing coach or profess to understand the complexities of the golf swing, so I can't say if your symptoms are related to the same issues I have.

ย 

I had a few lessons with an PGA pro last year and asked why my iron shots go so high especially compared with his. After watching my swing, his answer was that I tend to hit the ball with a slight upswing. I still create the divot and make great contact, but instead of hitting "through the ball", my swing begins to start the upswing at impact. Thus, at impact, the direction of the iron's force to the ball is at a slight incline. His recommendation (from that session) was to keep my hands low through impact and not be so quick to complete the swing. I had other issues I was working through so we didn't digress too much into this issue. I can't honestly speak on what I specifically do create this slight upswing, but I will say that I'm not breaking the wrists to "help the ball in the air". I would only guess it has to do with my swing arc, weight shift and spine angle through the swing.

ย 

I think one of the things that created this bad habit in my early game was the initial fear of hitting shots fat, so I learned to "clip" the ball off the surface. Well, now I take a good divot, but I'm sure my swing still suffers from swing flaws that originate from my entrance into the game. The main thing I've found that helps me control the trajectory is to shorten the swing a little and swing a little easier.

another thing you could try working on is turning your left shoulder over your right knee more.. to promote a stronger move through the ball.. looks to me like you are not turning enough over your right knee.. kind of tilting your left shoulder toward your front foot on the backswing.. anyway.. hope this helps

p.s. this will also help flattening out your swing.. best of luck!