2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

** Caleiam's Swing ** UPDATED

caleiam

New swing clips in regular and slow-motion :)
Okay so a little back story. I played in high school and didn't take it serious by any means, I would show up to practice play the round and go home not thinking anything of the game. Now 5 years later and I am back. I started right before winter and have been trying to get back into the swing. I played to about a 10 in high school and am hoping to be at least a 5 by the end of this season. I hit the range 3+ times a week and work on my other aspects of my game every night (putting / flexibility ect.)

Let me know what you think I can improve here, any comments are welcome. I know the video quality is poor I am trying to figure out the highest quality format from my handycam to my pc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wqV-CIAjXbo
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqV-CIAjXbo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqV-CIAjXbo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Please comment and let me know how I can improve. If you know any drills to help with a specific problem that would be great as well.

(edited AGAIN for new swing video :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the thoughts. By taking it back to low what do you mean? I try and keep my iron stance at shoulder width.

I updated the video with swings from today, more angles and more swings, let me know what you think.

If you didnt see the link above here it is again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqV-CIAjXbo

The two things that jump out at me are:

Overly flat swing plane. See where your shaft is in the photo below:

Reverse Pivot. See how far you are leaning onto your left side in this photo below. Your left knee is buckling under you:

Just knowing those things will improve you by a lot. Make sure your mom sees what we are discussing so she can monitor your actual in-person swing progress. Good Luck.

lqtm, the comment about my mom was in a way sarcastic, she did see it in the video when I showed her but she wouldn't know a pivot from the backswing.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it, I am working on getting the flat out of my swing, my wrists when they do hinge will cast out early so that has been big focus of mine.

How can I take the pivot out? I am working on increasing my flexability but haven't really seen much change, sometimes I pivot some times I don't. Is it a weight shift issue or is it something I am doing beside that? Are there any drills that will correct it or am I just retarded and it's mental?

lqtm, the comment about my mom was in a way sarcastic, she did see it in the video when I showed her but she wouldn't know a pivot from the backswing.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it, I am working on getting the flat out of my swing, my wrists when they do hinge will cast out early so that has been big focus of mine.

How can I take the pivot out? I am working on increasing my flexability but haven't really seen much change, sometimes I pivot some times I don't. Is it a weight shift issue or is it something I am doing beside that? Are there any drills that will correct it or am I just retarded and it's mental?

I watched your swing lastnight, and noticed the same things the guy above me noticed. i.e. very flat swing plane and reverse piviot. That being said,i want to let you know,i'm in no way a pro teacher or a scratch player,i'm just a very driven student of the swing and game ;) I don't promote any one certain teachers methods,i just call it how i see it!

With that said here are a couple of suggestions for you to try..... When your taking the club back,you really

never get the club set?? Now from the pros that i have taken lessons from,they explianed it to me this way( i had the exact same problem). When your left arm gets parallel to the ground,you are looking for a right angle formed with the club and left arm |__ kinda what i tried to illustrate with thou's lines :tongue: . Once your in this position,it's just a matter of getting your weight to the right side? I will finish the rest of my thoughts on this after my show is over!! If your online still try to see if your fallowing what i'm saying??

Gmonster

I watched your swing lastnight, and noticed the same things the guy above me noticed. i.e. very flat swing plane and reverse piviot. That being said,i want to let you know,i'm in no way a pro teacher or a scratch player,i'm just a very driven student of the swing and game :) I don't promote any one certain teachers methods,i just call it how i see it!

With that said here are a couple of suggestions for you to try..... When your taking the club back,you really

never get the club set?? Now from the pros that i have taken lessons from,they explianed it to me this way( i had the exact same problem). When your left arm gets parallel to the ground,you are looking for a right angle formed with the club and left arm |__ kinda what i tried to illustrate with thou's lines :good: . Once your in this position,it's just a matter of getting your weight to the right side? I will finish the rest of my thoughts on this after my show is over!! If your online still try to see if your fallowing what i'm saying??

Gmonster

Guess i need to look into getting one of those recorders :) . If i'm making this sound simple* well it is*, but executing it is a whole different story! So to start back where i left off, the butt end off the club needs to be pointing down at the ground when your left arm is across your chest. When you look at the pics of your swing the butt end of the club is pointing somewhere near the ground,and down the target line. Form what i've been taught,and if you look at a better player, there club is in a more of a vertical position at this point,some more than others..........but almost all of them, have there club in this position. So here's were the fun begins. When your at this point |_ your at a 3quarter swing,so from here you really only have to finish your turn/load up on the right side. Now there are allot of ways to do this, but for ME all i try to let happen at this point is to let the left shoulder finish rotating under my chin!! There is a slight pause when you have completed the backswing then your lower half starts the downswing.

Try this little drill to see if it helps, pre-set the butt end of the club at address to get the feeling of what i'm talking about. All that is involved is cocking your wrist to create the angle before you make one move on your backswing, then take it to,the 3quarter point, and take a look to see where the butt end of your club is pointing?? There is also a drill called the hitchhiker, this drill comes right out of a PGA teaching manual,and it is exactly how it sounds, take your left thumb,and stick it up as though you were going to try to hitch a ride(just don't use one of those signs that says...will golf for food,lmao). All your looking for is that your thumb at the 3quarter point in your backswing is sraight up in the air, then act like from this point you start the downswing,and take it to the 3quarter position,and check were it is pointing.

The last thing i would like to mention is about your backswing...........To realize when your weight has shifted, you should feel some pull or tension on the inside of your RIGHT LEG if your not feeling that feeling,then your not getting loaded up!! If you work on these things you should be able to really feel and notice a difference. Best of luck!!

Hope i'm not confusing you??? Gmonster

Thanks for the ideas, it wasn't very confusing, I think I get what you are saying. I will see how this all goes tomorrow. I might be playing with a local pro on Sunday so I hope I can clean up a little before I play with him and embarass myself.

Are there any drills to help with the pivot?

So some of what i'm saying is making sense ;) . When your using the word pivot? I'm not sure what your asking about caleiam? Are you talking about your weight transfer, to the right side? Do you feel like you can really go at it when your at the top of your backswing,how far do you hit your driver? What are your missed shots?

The reverse pivot, when I am in my backswing my left knee slides towards my right with my foot nearly coming off the ground.. My driver carrys about 230 but could easily go much longer when I figure out the timing on my release/get my wrists to set better. My missed hits are all over the place due to the inconsistencies in my swing.

Have you tried any of the drills i suggested, more so the hitchhiker drill? IMO your reverse piviot comes from not setting your club at the 3quarter position. Watching you in the video you'll notice that when your taking the club back,when you get to the 3quarter position, take a look at your knee(left) it actually goes forward/outside of your base,you really would like to get it pointing to the inside of your base, think pointing to the inside of your left knee!!

All your really doing in your backswing is rotating your core around it. Try these two drills....... put both your arms in front of you, clapp your hands together, and start your move to the backswing,check to see if your thumbs are pointing up at the ceiling at your 3quarter point, and from there take your left shoulder under your chin. I thought of the best drill that i think you can use to test yourself.......get a chair or stool,and put it about 6 to 8in from your right hip, and simulate taking your backswing,if your hip touches it when you are doing this you've got your RP going on. I'm going to look at your vid again,to make sure this is what i see going on.

Gmonster

OK dude, i checked your vid swing again........ and this is what i think. Your really not that far off, and that chair drill might not do what i was saying, because, i think it's more in your legs than you hips. Are you feeling more of your weight shift outside of your (right knee), i would have to think that you are. Here's another idea and/or drill to try, find a bigger type of BALL most of the drills that i seen done with this are medium sized medicine balls,it just needs to be bigger than a soccer ball. Put it between your knees and practice your backswing, if you can't keep the ball there without it falling then your weight is going outside of your base. I read that your going to be playing with a PRO this weekend,please ask and talk to him about what i'm talking about to get his idea's on things. What i'm saying is don't take my word for it ask the PRO what he thinks?

Do you have any golf books about the Gswing?

Hey Caleiam, how's it going man? haven't seen any posts from you lately about your swing and practice,how's things working out for you?

Gmonster

It's going good, I worked on fixing my pivot. Played +4 on the front 9 of my local course with the pro. He was very happy with the progress I've made. I actually beat him on one hole. I've been sick since that night though and haven't had a chance to work on my driver, thats what he feels I need the most work on.

My best shot of the round was on the hole I won. A 7 iron from a 10 yards back of the white markers, put it up 4 feet from the whole for birdie.

I'll post a new swing video after I recoup and get a club back in my hand.

I was reverse pivoting and what help'd was as soon as i would take my set up i would put 80% of my weight on the right side and keep it there for the entire backswing but be cautioned because this also made me sway a little in the back. and i wasnt videoing my self back then so i didnt know i was doing it but yeah try that it might help

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

My pivot is gone, right now im having trouble hanging back on my driver which has me slice every shot. I have started setting up for the slice but on dogleg left holes its kind of annoying having to have my second in from a ways out on a great drive. I shot my first ever round under 80 - 79 yesterday (20th) I'll try and post a new swing video sometime so you can see my repairs / new driver probs, but i have finals this next week so I am very busy with papers.

thanks for all the tips they really helped me with the pivot

cale