2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Most golf balls lost in a round..

GizMo567

My record is 10 lost in one round. Very windy day last year I was playing Lost Canyons in SoCal, a difficult Pete Dye course. My swing was off that day too, driver was wild with hooks.

After losing the first 6 I probably should have left the driver in the bag, but figured what the heck this is going to be a horrible round anyways so I stuck with it and managed to blast a few more shots into the canyons.
All were sacrafices to the golf gods, the way I see it they will hopefully have some mercy on me for a while :good:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know how many were lost on this one course in San Jose, CA (The Ranch Golf Club) but it had to be close to, if not more than a dozen on the front 9. almost every hole that isn't a par 3 has a blind shot over a canyon, river or rolling hill into a nature preserve. never mind all of the extreme elevation changes up and down into canyons. and if i am not mistaken, almost every hole has a drop area as well. shoot, even the par 3 greens have friggen bunkers in the center of them. never played anything like it. last i looked it plays to a 73 rating, 152 slope.

anyway, here's a comment from yelp.com - http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-ranch-golf-club-san-jose (they have some extremely funny reviews...)

[i]"Every once in a while I say, "Man, haven't gotten kicked square in the balls lately."

Today was one of those mornings, so I went to The Ranch to get it taken care of.

My balls are still aching.

Shot six over my handicap, and I was playing pretty damned well.

Next time I want to feel this kind of pain I'll just wipe my a** with a brillo pad."
[/i]

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

[quote name='SnapHooky' timestamp='1337060400' post='4916750']
My record is 10 lost in one round. Very windy day last year I was playing Lost Canyons in SoCal, a difficult Pete Dye course. My swing was off that day too, driver was wild with hooks.

After losing the first 6 I probably should have left the driver in the bag, but figured what the heck this is going to be a horrible round anyways so I stuck with it and managed to blast a few more shots into the canyons.
All were sacrafices to the golf gods, the way I see it they will hopefully have some mercy on me for a while :good:
[/quote]

I too have lost my fair share on Lost Canyons. the first time I played all day there, I lost about 18-24 golf balls over four rounds (two on sky, two on shadow). Anytime I play a Pete Dye course I lose about 3+ golf balls

I can't remember if I posted in here or not, but earlier this year when I was in the middle of three golf swings (literally. My old swing, the swing I wanted to make, and the swing my coach at that time (since moved to Houston) wanted me to make) I had absolutely no clue where the ball was going to go on any given swing. Ended up losing my entire dozen B330's that round. Quite depressing.

I couldn't get off the tee yesterday... and managed to lose a ball on almost every hole (9 holes)... fortunatley, I haven't stocked my bag with decent balls, so I just lost older balls that I had found or previously played.

I would have gone down to an iron off the tee, but I was alone and not keeping score, so I kept trying to sort my driver out... my driver, on the other hand, kept hooking.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I bought a dozen of the 20Xi's whenever they came out and went to a course I had never played before fairly tough track but was just hitting the ball terrible and of course me being the idiot I am had nothing but 4 dollar golf balls to hit in the woods/ponds lost 9 golf balls in 36 holes. I have the sleeve I had left to the guy who invited me to the course as payment for watching me all day.

When I first started golfing, I lost a dozen by the 9th hole. I had more, but I made a commitment right then to never lose more than 1/2 dozen a round. I think the pressure helped me improve right away because it started me thinking more about how to best play each hole according to the course layout - not my game. My next round I only played with 5i-PW and putter. The people with me laughed. Until I broke 100 (shot a 96), which was almost what I shot on the 9 where I lost the dozen. Didn't miss a fairway and got to most greens in 3 strokes. It helped that I can putt pretty well. Now, I might lose 1-2 but only if the course is heavily treed, roughed, or filled with water hazards.

Back in 1993 (I think), I started playing golf in Melbourne, Australia. Played at Portsea GC, and shot a 92 there, lost a couple of balls. Then my mates and I went to Cape Schanck the next day and we were warned it was a tough course so I stocked up about 32 crap balls in a plastic bag. I finished all right and lost about 30. Don't ask about the score and if you vee off a tad, it was in the crap.

I recall seeing Ian Baker Finch's low round record card as I thoroughly enjoyed a coldie there in the club house.

Man, IBF could play back then.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

It has been a while since I lost more than one in a round now that I am down to a 2.1, but here's a story from 2 days ago. I played 36 holes on my friend's birthday so he could get in 2 FREE birthday rounds at 2 of the top courses in NM, one being PaaKo Ridge a Golf Digest Top 100. I was losing interest on about hole 23 as I wasn't playing that well on the second 18, I shot 78 on the first 18. Anyway, I step up to a Par 3 and with a 5 iron in hand I chunk hook one into the hazard with a BRAND NEW PRO V1. Well, I go back to my bag, grab a BRAND NEW PRO V1 and hit again as I don't really care about my score and know I can hit it on the green. Well, I shank that BRAND NEW PRO V1 into the woods. Well, I place the ball I had been using for the past 23 holes on the tee and proceed to SHANK it into the woods too. I say, "f*ck it" and head to the green in the cart and my buddy say he sees a ball along the way so I stop and he retrieves the piece of s*** that I had been playing for 23 holes, not the BRAND NEW PRO V1! So, that hole cost me $8 in two BRAND NEW PRO V1 lost balls not to mention how pissed off I was! black%20eye.gif:diablo::russian_roulette:

22 balls and i was a 10 handicap at the time. i don't know what it was that day, but my swing was an absolute mess. i just could not hit one decent shot all day. on top of that, it was brutally windy that day. i don't know if i was just oblivous when i left to go play or it picked up while i was out, but when i got home that day, i found out we had 30 mph winds with 50 mph gusts. as for scores, i believe it was a 120 something. i actually ran out of balls and only was able to finish the round because i found some balls during the round.

couple weeks later, that same course i had a case of the draws/hooks. my natural ball flight tends to be a fade so this made for a terrible round. lost 10 balls and shot a 108. decided to play a 2nd 18. lost one ball and shot a 80 - 28 stroke.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

The most I have ever lost in a round is 5, and 4 of them were lost from the same tee box. 30-40mph right to left crosswind on a par 5. Hit a massive block with the first and second ball, a bit of a slice that the wind accentuated with the third, then by the fourth I had totally lost the plot and hit another beautiful block. The 5th attempt found the fairway though!

All 4 made it to the English Channel, and have probably washed up on the shores of mainland Europe by now. Oops.

9 off the tee is never a good position to be in, especially on the 2nd hole of a medal comp! Think I ended up making a 12.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Lost 5 on Amelia Island Plantation Ocean Course, beautiful par three be tween the beach and the hotel. They had a wedding out on the deck, 50 or so people and I chucked two into the OB to the right. One OB left and a lost ball in the mangroves.
However my last shot while everyone was watching by now was a Perfect laser right at the flag, the crowd gasped and then cheered as it hit the flagstick and went into the pool.
My group was invited for a drink and off we went

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

I lost 8 one round earlier this year, it was expecially windy, with 45mph gusts, but it was an awesome day and I had already taken off work and anytime i'm golfing is better than working so I didn't really care that much. I pulled a tin cup and hit 5 balls from one spot after I dropped 4 in the drink...

Changing...

I'm also going through a swing change and lost six the other day at Cowboys Golf Club :russian_roulette:

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

I don't know how you guys can lose so many balls. Lol. I usually carry 2 sleeves, and if I lose more than that, I'm walking off the course for 2 reasons. 1 being pissed, 2 I've run out of balls. Hahaha

[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist TS2 10.5* [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]No 3 wood currently[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping G10 21* 7 wood[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Cobra Baffler XL 5H [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping i e1 irons 6-PW[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 54.14F 58.12K DG S200[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Seamus Snowtrooper Fescue Sunday Bag[/size][/color]

In the early 90's I lived on a tricky little course that has water on 17 holes. I invited a buddy that just started playing. By the time we got to 18 I looked around and there were empty sleeves everywhere. In the basket down in the bag compartment etc. I want to say it was 13 balls that he lost but it may have been more. I remember cracking up a lot especially when seeing all of the empty sleeves. Guy was a good sport.