ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

Played Purgatory Sunday morning and by getting out early we were able to beat the heat..

However, we will probably not go back for a while. I still LOVE the layout, but the conditioning (especially on the greens) and service are pitiful..

The premium cost really magnified the shortcomings. I expect a bit better for that level of greens fee.

On the upside, played well and shot an 82, even though I kicked away some shots via putts.

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1338298288' post='4993404']
Played Purgatory Sunday morning and by getting out early we were able to beat the heat..

However, we will probably not go back for a while. I still LOVE the layout, but the conditioning (especially on the greens) and service are pitiful..

The premium cost really magnified the shortcomings. I expect a bit better for that level of greens fee.

On the upside, played well and shot an 82, even though I kicked away some shots via putts.
[/quote]

Wow...sucks to hear that. Haven't played it in a couple years, but used to be in great shape. No excuse to be on bad shape this early in the year.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1338307025' post='4994124']
[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1338298288' post='4993404']

[/quote]

Wow...sucks to hear that. Haven't played it in a couple years, but used to be in great shape. No excuse to be on bad shape this early in the year.
[/quote]

Fairways were a bit spotty in places, but it was mostly the greens. Absolutely pockmarked and very poorly repaired. Some of that is on the users, but with the amount of light green spotting on the greens some of it is on the course.

Also, the service is just bad. I don't need to be doted on constantly, but we had to pick-up and return our own cart. Which is pretty funny seeing as the cart boy drove a second cart out to clean our clubs for his tip after the round and then wanted us to return the cart ourselves.

Also, there were no pin sheets (which would have been handy as they put most the pins in places I have never seen them before and about half of them on a hillside), they sent 3 groups out in front of us even though we were the first tee time and then threw 2 more foursomes out on 10 right as we were making the turn.

Again, the cost/value equation is badly out of whack there anymore.

[quote name='twgolf' timestamp='1337995499' post='4979282']
Wow, you would think by all of these posts golf is only played in Indy and below in Indiana.

Lots of great courses up here in northern Indiana, but seems no one from up north is on golfwrx.

Giving a shout out to Christiana Creek in Elkhart. The greens are in fantastic shape, rolling fast and true.
[/quote]

I've played a lot of courses up North. My top 10:
1. Rock Hollow-Peru My favorite in Indiana
2. Blackthorn-South Bend
3. Mystic Hills-Culver
4. Warren-South Bend
5. Chestnut Hills-Fort Wayne
6. GlenDarren-Angola
7. Cobblestone-Kendalville
8. Noblehawk-Kendalville
9. White Eagle-Dyar
10. Autum Ridge-Ft Wayne

Played a hidden gem on Saturday east of Indy. Royal Hylands in Knightstown is pretty nice track for outside the metro area. I only live 20 minutes away, but always forget it is out there.

Showed up as a single and got hooked up with another single and a couple of members. Probably played the wrong tees (too short at 5900ish), but considering the wind, it worked out in the end.

$37 to ride 18 with bentgrass fairways and fairly nice greens. Course may be a little short for the big hitters, only 6400ish from the blues/tips, but it is an interesting layout and has some nice holes.

Played there [RH] Sunday with some guys. I usually play it 10 or so times a year. If you go online to 18golf or something like that, you can get a tee time for 29$. Course was in great shape and I love the greens there. Although I stunk up the course we had a great time and will be back soon. It really is a short drive on 70 east of Indy, or in my case west on 70 from Cambridge area.

[quote name='mark092974' timestamp='1338313131' post='4994624']
Wow, you would think by all of these posts golf is only played in Indy and below in Indiana.

Lots of great courses up here in northern Indiana, but seems no one from up north is on golfwrx.

Giving a shout out to Christiana Creek in Elkhart. The greens are in fantastic shape, rolling fast and true.
[/quote]

2. Blackthorn-South Bend
3. Mystic Hills-Culver
4. Warren-South Bend
6. GlenDarren-Angola
8. Noblehawk-Kendalville
9. White Eagle-Dyar
10. Autum Ridge-Ft Wayne
[/quote]

9 - Do you mean White Hawk in Crown Point?

Nonetheless, I second Rock Hollow. I have not yet been down to Indy so I am not sure of the caliber of courses you guys are talking about (but I heard of all the courses mentioned). Rock Hollow in Peru was a surprise. Cool layout and for soggy april was in excellent condition (a few years ago). [url="http://www.rockhollowgolf.com/"]http://www.rockhollowgolf.com/[/url]

LO!! Really there should probably be 50 of these, well maybe 49, Connecticut doesn't really have any great golf or produce an golfers wink.gif

So I have a question, who has played the French Lick resort and what are your thoughts? Is it worth the price, if I ever find myself in the area?

BTW, hated the result of the Indiana/VCU game, but give IU credit for not giving up. I still think VCU outplayed them, but you are not going to win many tournament games by scoring 4 points over the last 12 minutes. Although I gotta say, I thought Brandenburgs shot was going to go in. That's just the type of ending you expect to see in March!!

Good luck against UK, hope you can beat them again.

WAY WORTH IT!! But you have to stay in the resort to get on the Pete Dye course

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1338836236' post='5029108']
Anyone been out to Otter Creek recently? I will be there Wed for an outing and was wondering about the conditions. When I was out there last year it was the week before the State Am and the rough was brutal.
[/quote]

How was otter creek? Used to play there a lot. Haven't been in years

Otter Creek was in great shape. The rough was much more playable than last year, but the greens were as firm as I have ever seen them over there. They rolled true and had a good speed, but it was really difficult to get shots to hold. The fairways were running fast as well. I really like playing at Otter Creek, despite the fact that there are way more trees than I would prefer. I normally am not real fond of scrambles, but the weather was perfect and the beer was free so we had a good time.

I am coordinating a golf trip I am taking this fall to Indianapolis with my two brother’s in law. We are trying to decide between courses such as The Fort (only one I have played), Brickyard Crossing, Purgatory, Bearslide, Trophy Club and Prairie View. The plan is to play 3 of them with 36 on day 1, 36 on day 2 and 18 on day 3. I was thinking The Fort, Purgatory and Brickyard Crossing. Any thoughts/preferences on Indi area courses. Which ones would you pick?

I would put the Fort at the top of your list, make sure you account for slow rounds. 5+ hours at the fort is the norm on weekends. Brickyard is a great course and has a decent replay rate, I would put it second. Purgatory can be hit or miss, if your playing 36, you could do purgatory on the first round then head to bearslide for the second. I love trophy club and would say it is a great course, but if your wanting to make a day of it play purgatory and engoy some time at their great clubhouse.

I think the Brickyard is a really good golf course, but the setting and experience in and around the track make it a must play at least once. The Fort is just a fantastic golf course that makes great use of a dramatic piece of land. Trophy Club is just as good as those two and is just fun to play. The green complexes are extremely interesting and make you really think about how to get the ball close. If it was me I would do The Fort (36), Trophy Club (36), and Brickyard (18). There is just so much great public golf in an around Indy.

You can't go wrong with any of them. Somebody wasn't pleased with purgatory this past week, i haven't been out there, so can't comment.

I guess it depends what you value most, conditioning or layout. Brickyard will be in better shape than any.

The Fort is a great layout. Bear slide is a lot of fun too, is cheaper,.but the conditioning won't be as flawless. Fort gets a ton of play, so keep that in mind. Prairie view is ok, but not worth $90.

I'd play Brickyard twice, no doubt.

[quote name='mark092974' timestamp='1338313131' post='4994624']

[/quote]

2. Blackthorn-South Bend
3. Mystic Hills-Culver
4. Warren-South Bend
6. GlenDarren-Angola
8. Noblehawk-Kendalville
9. White Eagle-Dyar
[b]10. Autum Ridge-Ft Wayne[/b]
[/quote]

Autumn Ridge is one of your favorite in Fort Wayne? It's too bad they went private then. Cherry HIll, FWCC, and Orchard Ridge are all good tracks around the area too.

[quote name='Frohlich' timestamp='1339076478' post='5046362']
I am coordinating a golf trip I am taking this fall to Indianapolis with my two brother’s in law. We are trying to decide between courses such as The Fort (only one I have played), Brickyard Crossing, Purgatory, Bearslide, Trophy Club and Prairie View. The plan is to play 3 of them with 36 on day 1, 36 on day 2 and 18 on day 3. I was thinking The Fort, Purgatory and Brickyard Crossing. Any thoughts/preferences on Indi area courses. Which ones would you pick?
[/quote]

The Fort is a must for 36 holes. If you want value, Trophy Club is a 36 holer as well. It's about equal with Purgatory in terms of quality, but a little more variety and a friendly atmosphere. The last day I would do Brickyard, simply because it's the only one on your list I have not played.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1339440802' post='5068344']
So this must be the time of year for scrambles. I was at one last week at Otter Creek, and this week I have one at Eagle Creek in Indy. I do not know which course at Eagle Creek the event is going to be played on. I have not played either of these courses so any info would be great. Thanks.
[/quote]

You'll probably be on the Sycamore....at least hopefully you are, as its the better of the 2. It has probably 11-12 of the original 18 holes. The original 18 at Eagle Creek was done by Pete Dye, and was a great layout. Sadly they decided about ten years years ago or so to add another 9 and make 36 holes to add to the duffers 9 they had for years. These new holes split up the courses. The 1st hole on the Sycamore used to be #10. There are several holes on the original front nine which you no longer play, which is a shame.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1339510686' post='5074192']
[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1339440802' post='5068344']
So this must be the time of year for scrambles. I was at one last week at Otter Creek, and this week I have one at Eagle Creek in Indy. I do not know which course at Eagle Creek the event is going to be played on. I have not played either of these courses so any info would be great. Thanks.
[/quote]

You'll probably be on the Sycamore....at least hopefully you are, as its the better of the 2. It has probably 11-12 of the original 18 holes. The original 18 at Eagle Creek was done by Pete Dye, and was a great layout. Sadly they decided about ten years years ago or so to add another 9 and make 36 holes to add to the duffers 9 they had for years. These new holes split up the courses. The 1st hole on the Sycamore used to be #10. There are several holes on the original front nine which you no longer play, which is a shame.
[/quote]

Well I played the Pines. It was a really big event (40 teams) so they were using both courses. The layout was okay, nothing really stood out. I will try to get up later this year and play the Sycamore. If we do not get some rain soon I think we are going to be seeing 2010 conditions again. I like firm, brown course but thinks are looking more like Aug than June right now.

I am off to Kauai, HI this morning and will give a run down when I get back.

For those of you who have played both Brickyard Crossing and the Donald Ross Course in French Lick, how do they compare? I noticed they are very similar in price but is one clearly ahead of the other? I have family coming out from out West and I'm trying to figure out where I want to take them to play. So if anyone has any input on these 2 courses that would be great. Thanks.

[quote name='AboveParGolfer' timestamp='1340057366' post='5123636']
For those of you who have played both Brickyard Crossing and the Donald Ross Course in French Lick, how do they compare? I noticed they are very similar in price but is one clearly ahead of the other? I have family coming out from out West and I'm trying to figure out where I want to take them to play. So if anyone has any input on these 2 courses that would be great. Thanks.
[/quote]

For quality of golf I'd go French Lick. If you want a "cool" experience I'd go with Brickyard. The 3 holes or so you play in the oval are a pretty cool feeling.

[quote name='AboveParGolfer' timestamp='1340057366' post='5123636']
[/quote]
Do you live/stay around Indy? If so I'd go to the Brick Yard. For out of towners it would be a neat golf/sight seeing day. If you are close to French Lick I think it would be a more golf only type of day, which is fine. I haven't played Ross course since the make over, but I'm sure it's ecxellent!
Are they race fans?? Brick Yard. Do you have a nice boat and lots of cash?? Go to Patoka Lake and golf, fish, ski and gamble all week. LOL
Paul

Above I saw someone mention Rock Hollow in Peru. I golf there once a week in a league and it is in pretty good shape even though we havent had much rain. They do a nice job of watering so it doesnt dry out to much, although last night everything was running pretty quick.

I have heard decent things about Wildcat Creek in Kokomo, but i have yet to golf there this year.

In northern Indiana there is White Hawk which was also mentioned above. I played there last year, and it was in pretty good condition, but I didnt think it was anything special. There is also Aberdeen in Valparaiso which is a nice course. I normally play there at least once a year in a golf outing, but I do know that they have recently lowered their prices, and I believe you can play on the weekends for $35. Another course in the region is The Brassie in Chestorton, which is a links course. I have played there once at the beginning of the year, like middle of May, maybe earlier, and it was in good shape then. In my personal opinion the best course in the area up there is Sand Creek CC. It used to be private, but I do not know if they have opened it up for public on certain days, my grandfather used to work there as a ranger a couple of years ago, so I am not certain on this, but I would recommend looking into potentially golfing there if you are in the area.

P.S. This is the forum that has finally got me to make my first post.

Also, Swan Lake in Plymouth is a great course. They have 2 different courses there. The black course is their championship course and I guess you could say Silver is the regular. I know that they have stay and play options, but I also know that you can get rounds for cheaper if you get them online through teetimesavings or something of the like. You cant go wrong with hitting up this course if you are in the area.

I have played both Brickyard and Donald Ross at FL. I am definitely in the minority, as I am not a big fan of the Brickyard. I'm not a nascar fan, so that probably doesn't help any. The conditioning of the place is awesome. I just don't care for courses that are crammed on a small piece of land. This is one of them. Everywhere you look, you will see multiple groups. If you're a nascar fan, you will probably love it. Definitely worth a play though.

Donald Ross is very similar to the Brickyard, as far as being on a small piece of land. Being a very old course, that is pretty normal. That being said, it's a fun course. Some of the greens (particularly #8 and #16) are obnoxious. The par 3's (from the tips) are beasts. I played it in 2010, and 2011. In 2010 the conditioning was immaculate. Last season it was a bit rough. It was still pretty good, but not $100, or whatever they charge good.

I would probably go with the Ross

Brickyard or FL really depends upon where you are coming from/staying. FL is in the middle of nowhere, and i wouldn't go unless i was staying the night, but maybe you live closer. There is certainly some cool, unique stuff to see there, west baden hotel and all.

Both courses are very nice. Much different styles though. Modern vs classic.

I think it's hilarious how nobody mentions Prairie View. It's pretty much the standard that everyone says it would be a great $50-$60 course, but it's way down the $90 dollar round list. Played there last week, and it wasn't even in good shape either.

A course not mentioned much on here is The Links at Heartland Crossing. It's another great golf course, much like Trophy Club in it's 30 minute drive from Downtown, but well worth it for the money.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1340215556' post='5136480']
I think it's hilarious how nobody mentions Prairie View. It's pretty much the standard that everyone says it would be a great $50-$60 course, but it's way down the $90 dollar round list. Played there last week, and it wasn't even in good shape either.

A course not mentioned much on here is The Links at Heartland Crossing. It's another great golf course, much like Trophy Club in it's 30 minute drive from Downtown, but well worth it for the money.
[/quote]

Totally agree....It must be by location alone that they can get away with charging what they do. The conditioning has never been excellent when I've played it. It's a good track, no doubt, but charging $90 on a weekday, there are better options.

I'm a big Heartland fan, think its a great course for the price.

I know this is all things Indiana Golf, but I just wanted to share some shots from my trip to Kauai, HI

Wailua Golf Club 17th Tee
[attachment=1228208:WGC17.jpg]

Poipu Bay 15th Tee
[attachment=1228206:PB15.jpg]

Poipu Bay 16th Tee
[attachment=1228212:PB16.jpg]

Poipu Bay Looking Back from 17th Tee
[attachment=1228210:PB17lb.jpg]

Non-Golf Waimea Canyon
[attachment=1228204:WaimeaCanyon1.JPG]