I absolutely did not figure out Hogan's secret about 30 weekends ago

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1338321195' post='4995632']
Durden, I'm going to be unselfish and let you in on the secret to being an interesting contributor to these forums. Threads are pretty boring when the OP has absolutely nothing to say.
[/quote]

+1

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1338321377' post='4995654']
WHy should he postn his secrets, so everyone can tell him why he is wrong or that he is a totaljob nut like what always happens?

He did enough, he told us to watch the video and pay attention to Trevino, nobody's commented on it yet...
[/quote]

Ed, is that you??

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

To the OP: why even post if you basically have nothing to say?

Reminded me of a kid back when I was in grade school who gets on the bus with a dozen dunkin donuts. Every kids eyes were on this kid. Kid proceeds to open the box of donuts and runs his tongue along the top of each donut. A couple kids asked him for a donut and the brat of a kid simply says "sorry, can't, cuz I licked them all'!

Again, purpose of thread??

[quote name='whcwhc' timestamp='1338321784' post='4995698']
Ed, is that you??
[/quote]

WhoTF is ED?

I am just saying, the guy doesn't want to give it away. He point us in the right direction, do some work. That is all...

Trevino and Hogan have a lot in common. They are the two best ball strikers. At least two of the top 3. Low/mid trajectory cutters of the ball. Can hit all shots.. under pressure. Both reverse loops... so does Furyk, gee that is weird. Both have very OPEN triangles, where is TeeAce? Both have body oriented releases, grips are different, leg action is similar. Bent left knees through impact. Minimal lateral shift away from the target on backswing, not a whole lot going left either, (at least ideal Hogan), both get to EEP. Both have tight circles, both Dorsi flex... Different stances one is open the other "diagonal." Both set up with high hands.. right arm at set up is identical... what else?

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1338322087' post='4995742']
Ed, is that you??
[/quote]

WhoTF is ED?

I am just saying, the guy doesn't want to give it away. He point us in the right direction, do some work. That is all...
[/quote]
Pointing us in the right direction is to tell ppl to go watch a Trevino video on YouTube??

This guys has lost all credibility on WRX in my view with this thread

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1338322087' post='4995742']
Ed, is that you??
[/quote]

WhoTF is ED?

[/quote]

Ed as Edward Norton as Tayler Durden's other half.....

Chill out. just a joke...could care less if OP wants to share THE secret or not!!!

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

I found Hogan's secret while I was eating plain Cheerios in '89.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I always had this demented thought that Hogans secret had something to do with the male anatomy and hence the reason he, or perhaps this poster, cannot divulge due to the embarrassment factor.

Something to the effect of "ensure that your Johnson is against left thigh at impact" or "release anal aorta sphincter muscle during backswing".

Am I onto something with this? I have watched for all these possible "secrets" when I watch the Trevino video but very tough to make out with him wearing loose fitting pants.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1338323127' post='4995874']
I always had this demented thought that Hogans secret had something to do with the male anatomy and hence the reason he, or perhaps this poster, cannot divulge due to the embarrassment factor.

Something to the effect of "ensure that your Johnson is against left thigh at impact" or "release anal aorta sphincter muscle during backswing".

Am I onto something with this? I have watched for all these possible "secrets" when I watch the Trevino video but very tough to make out with him wearing loose fitting pants.
[/quote]

Wow. Just lol'd at work. People are looking at me funny now. Best post of the thread.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

(Mr Durden you sure have progressed since the Jody Vasquez thread! Anyway I disagree that this is a bad way to start a Hogan thread, I think its the best way.......... no one wants to be told straight out........ and if you did they'd try and dismiss it and the thread would die.

Everyone knows the the biggest key for Hogan and Trevino was bloody hard work............. I've been analyzing Hogan to death but without putting in some serious hours you're never going to make progress, and even if you do discover (or rediscover I should say) some crucial piece of the puzzle it isn't going to resonate with people who haven't done the same. )

[b]The only things that I see Trevino and Hogan having in common (and boy are there a lot of differences) is that they hit into a very bowed left leg at impact, and they both hit into the back of a very firm left wrist that is also bowed and which holds off any flipping.

The 1930's Hogan video is very interesting because its so different to his post accident swing. For me it really represents the prototypical 'modern' swing............ the big differences are how[u] handsy it is, how he snaps the left leg straight at impact, stalls the right hip, and flips his hands, with the right side being passively dragged through.[/u]

I've said before and I'll say again, I believe the secret to Hogan's swing is how he clears his right side throughout the forward swing......... a very unique and interesting motion.[/b]

[quote name='youngstructural' timestamp='1338321717' post='4995692']
Durden, I'm going to be unselfish and let you in on the secret to being an interesting contributor to these forums. Threads are pretty boring when the OP has absolutely nothing to say.
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

OK I'll be honest - I didn't really have a purpose on posting this thread initially - I was just very excited that things had FINALLY clicked for me and didn't feel like plugging back into my day job yet.

But the thing is, I've already been helpful to anyone that is willing to actually work for themselves to find the secret. And for the rest of you guys, IMO you don't deserve it and this post isn't for you so I understand why you are mad. Sorry if I've wasted your time. So the guys that want to know the secret, I already gave you the steps:

1 - 1930's Hogan
2 - Post secret Hogan - watch all area's
3 - Trevino
4 - Focus on what matters

If you do that and study this stuff, it becomes so obvious that you realize it's almost insane to call it a secret.

It's more like theres the truth (the secret), then there's all the other so-called "golf instruction" that blinds most people from seeing the truth because there's so much other trash out there. LOL COME TO THE LIGHT!!

just saw this Hogan video on another thread

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G4DCZuAj5Mg"]http://www.youtube.c...d&v=G4DCZuAj5Mg[/url] notice how there is no hip stall through and post impact................. the whole right side swings through together smoothly.

If somebody could show me another player that does this I'd be very interested to see!

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338326267' post='4996222']

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G4DCZuAj5Mg"]http://www.youtube.c...d&v=G4DCZuAj5Mg[/url] notice how there is no hip stall through and post impact................. the whole right side swings through together smoothly.

If somebody could show me another player that does this I'd be very interested to see!
[/quote]

Jim Furyk

[quote name='rocker40' timestamp='1338327436' post='4996350']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338326267' post='4996222']

[/quote]

Jim Furyk
[/quote]

close'ish but no cigar.......... Hogan's right elbow stays glued to the right side of his stomach/hip so his arms were basically in front of him during the downswing.

Furyk's swing is much more disconnected with his right elbow getting left behind his body, the hips flying open, and a massive hip stall just after impact because the hips have nowhere else to go and the arms have the catch up.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338328075' post='4996398']
close'ish but no cigar.......... Hogan's right elbow stays glued to the right side of his stomach/hip so his arms were basically in front of him during the downswing.

Furyk's swing is much more disconnected with his right elbow getting left behind his body, the hips flying open, and a massive hip stall just after impact because the hips have nowhere else to go and the arms have the catch up.
[/quote]

Trevino's arms are bit behind too, but pretty good. Nobody's got a right elbow like Hogan.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338326247' post='4996218']
[quote name='youngstructural' timestamp='1338321717' post='4995692']
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

OK I'll be honest - I didn't really have a purpose on posting this thread initially - I was just very excited that things had FINALLY clicked for me and didn't feel like plugging back into my day job yet.

But the thing is, I've already been helpful to anyone that is willing to actually work for themselves to find the secret. And for the rest of you guys, [b]IMO you don't deserve it[/b] and this post isn't for you so I understand why you are mad. Sorry if I've wasted your time. So the guys that want to know the secret, I already gave you the steps:

1 - 1930's Hogan
2 - Post secret Hogan - watch all area's
3 - Trevino
4 - Focus on what matters

If you do that and study this stuff, it becomes so obvious that you realize it's almost insane to call it a secret.

It's more like theres the truth (the secret), then there's all the other so-called "golf instruction" that blinds most people from seeing the truth because there's so much other trash out there. LOL COME TO THE LIGHT!!
[/quote]

Such a statement is the picture of conceit. It also represents conceptual theft in that you taking ownership of an idea that is generally believed to be Hogan's and not yours. In addition, what you have written is ironic in that Hogan never intended for YOU to know the "secret" either. Welcome to equity.

There is no value in this thread. You came in and made a bold post that reads no differently than if you had said, "I found a way to get a free Ferrari, and I am not telling anyone because no one is as deserving as I am (I think)." The only reason to do this is to set yourself up as some kind of authority based on second hand knowledge, and that is just silly. No one seems to be flaming you (so much) about your claim as to the ridiculous way you are claiming ownership of an idea that is not yours.

Considerate people with knowledge share it freely. Listing "pointers" like you did above is not help. From that list people could derive any number of concepts like a bowed leading wrist, hitting with a bent trailing arm, clearing left, aligning right hip/elbow/shoulder through impact...I could go on and on. All of these things have been proposed as the "Hogan secret," at one time or another by people with more knowledge of the golf swing than either of us. Towards that end, you can't know what Hogan's secret actually was - because he didn't tell you. There is no way to confirm it, and so your guess is no better than anyone else's. When you couple that thought with the fact that you are now trying to withhold this unconfirmed notion, you have what researchers would call "acecdotal" evidence, which in reality is not entirely useful or meaningful, and in the context you have created shows the true reason you made this thread very clearly: you want this to be about you and not Hogan or the free exchange of ideas.

You have no truth to share here (your words) as you can neither confirm the Hogan secret nor share your rationale. I could start a thread with any of the other ideas I stated earlier and still contribute more value to the site than what you have done here, and the difference is I would give credit where credit is due - to Hogan, and not myself. What you think you have found is not yours, so I suggest not speaking to people here like your "right" to it is greater than anyone else's. That is an immature notion that doesn't speak well for you.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1338329795']
Such a statement is the picture of conceit. It also represents conceptual theft in that you taking ownership of an idea that is generally believed to be Hogan's and not yours. In addition, what you have written is ironic in that Hogan never intended for YOU to know the "secret" either. Welcome to equity.

There is no value in this thread. You came in and made a bold post that reads no differently than if you had said, "I found a way to get a free Ferrari, and I am not telling anyone because no one is as deserving as I am (I think)." The only reason to do this is to set yourself up as some kind of authority based on second hand knowledge, and that is just silly. No one seems to be flaming you (so much) about your claim as to the ridiculous way you are claiming ownership of an idea that is not yours.

Considerate people with knowledge share it freely. Listing "pointers" like you did above is not help. From that list people could derive any number of concepts like a bowed leading wrist, hitting with a bent trailing arm, clearing left, aligning right hip/elbow/shoulder through impact...I could go on and on. All of these things have been proposed as the "Hogan secret," at one time or another by people with more knowledge of the golf swing than either of us. Towards that end, you can't know what Hogan's secret actually was - because he didn't tell you. There is no way to confirm it, and so your guess is no better than anyone else's. When you couple that thought with the fact that you are now trying to withhold this unconfirmed notion, you have what researchers would call "acecdotal" evidence, which in reality is not entirely useful or meaningful, and in the context you have created shows the true reason you made this thread very clearly: you want this to be about you and not Hogan or the free exchange of ideas.

You have no truth to share here (your words) as you can neither confirm the Hogan secret nor share your rationale. I could start a thread with any of the other ideas I stated earlier and still contribute more value to the site than what you have done here, and the difference is I would give credit where credit is due - to Hogan, and not myself. What you think you have found is not yours, so I suggest not speaking to people here like your "right" to it is greater than anyone else's. That is an immature notion that doesn't speak well for you.
[/quote]
I didn't realize I was taking ownership of anything. I said I know something and that everyone else can know it too if they look hard enough and put in the work. It's far from ownership.

And sharing ideas is great, but for some reason I don't feel like sharing beyond what I've already shared (at least at this point).

And honestly, based on your post, I probably couldn't tell you any information that you don't already know. I sounds like you have a pretty good concept of what the secret could be.

But another thing I realized is the only way someone can actually know or understand the secret, they have to struggle through the problems. Otherwise the secret is just speculation for some other dude online who may or may not know. And in your head it will always just be sepeculation until you go find out for yourself. Until you know it to be true. Not a belief, an understanding. Not looking for other people to say yes that's it, this is it, whatever. You just know.

So I'm saying I'm convinced that's the process, and one could make an argument that by sharing that process I've already offered valued.

Unfortunately, I wasn't really thinking when I started this thread. I forgot the fact that we live in a magic pill society. Take this and focus better!! this and be skinny!! this and get a big d*ck!!!

I'm not going to say buy this and get a perfect swing, get this and hit it like hogan. And I'm not going to package it nicely for everyone and participate in the magic pill way.

And BTW, if you can't already hit the ball solid, I think what I consider the secret (pre vs post secret differences in Hogan's swing) would be quite worthless to you anyway. Not to say anything about your game. Maybe you're a great player, if so congrats. I'm just saying in our magic pill society you have 20 handicaps thinking that if they knew Hogan's secret suddenly they could hit the ball. And I'm saying if I told his secret to a 20 handicap they'd likely become a 40 handicap.

Anyway, you might see it differently, that's fine and I respect that. We just see it differently I guess.

Durden,

You say "I have a secret!" and when (predictably) people ask what that secret is, [i]they[/i] are at fault? [i]They[/i] are lazy? [i]They[/i] are part of a magic pill society? No sir, [i]you[/i] are a blowhard and your statements lack any semblance of substance. I appreciate you telling me to watch videos of Ben Hogan though... I'm sure no one else here ever thought of that.

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1338331588' post='4996736']
Durden,

You say "I have a secret!" and when (predictably) people ask what that secret is, [i]they[/i] are at fault? [i]They[/i] are lazy? [i]They[/i] are part of a magic pill society? No sir, [i]you[/i] are a blowhard and your statements lack any semblance of substance. I appreciate you telling me to watch videos of Ben Hogan though... I'm sure no one else here ever thought of that.
[/quote]

Lol. I said I have the secret. Not a secret. And I didn't call anyone lazy. Thanks for making me realize I'm a blowhard though, I've had so many realizations lately!!

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338330827' post='4996650']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1338329795']

[/quote]
I didn't realize I was taking ownership of anything. I said I know something and that everyone else can know it too if they look hard enough and put in the work. It's far from ownership.

And sharing ideas is great, but for some reason I don't feel like sharing beyond what I've already shared (at least at this point).

And honestly, based on your post, I probably couldn't tell you any information that you don't already know. I sounds like you have a pretty good concept of what the secret could be.

But another thing I realized is the only way someone can actually know or understand the secret, they have to struggle through the problems. Otherwise the secret is just speculation for some other dude online who may or may not know. And in your head it will always just be sepeculation until you go find out for yourself. Until you know it to be true. Not a belief, an understanding. Not looking for other people to say yes that's it, this is it, whatever. You just know.

So I'm saying I'm convinced that's the process, and one could make an argument that by sharing that process I've already offered valued.

Unfortunately, I wasn't really thinking when I started this thread. I forgot the fact that we live in a magic pill society. Take this and focus better!! this and be skinny!! this and get a big d*ck!!!

I'm not going to say buy this and get a perfect swing, get this and hit it like hogan. And I'm not going to package it nicely for everyone and participate in the magic pill way.

And BTW, if you can't already hit the ball solid, I think what I connsider the secret (pre vs post secret differences in Hogan's swing) would be quite worthless to you anyway. Not to say anything about your game. Maybe you're a great player, if so congrats. I'm just saying in our magic pill society you have 20 handicaps thinking that if they knew Hogan's secret suddenly they could hit the ball. And I'm saying if I told his secret to a 20 handicap they'd likely become a 40 handicap.

Anyway, you might see it differently, that's fine and I respect that. We just see it differently I guess.
[/quote]

The Hogan "secret" and the people constantly trying to determine what it is reads a lot like Grail lore - it represents different things to different people, and perhaps no one can confidently say what it is. I have started plenty of threads in a spur of the moment kind of mentality (re: Fg Tour X) and I understand how the excitement often overrides better decision making, but I hope that you can understand why some people might be a little put off by an unwillingness to share. Whether you meant it or not, it presents a certain way. I am a teacher - I would share information with my students whether I was paid or not. That is where my grouchiness comes from as pertains to this thread, whether that is worth something or not.

In any case, I understand the process you suggest. I doubt any "secret" could be immediately and practically applied so easily. If there really is a secret, it was likely particular to Hogan. I think the beauty of the Hogan mythology (if you will) is that there is plenty to take away from studying his swing, and that may be applicable to a range of golfers depending on individual need.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338331929' post='4996772']
[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1338331588' post='4996736']
Durden,

[/quote]

Lol. I said I have the secret. Not a secret. And I didn't call anyone lazy. Thanks for making me realize I'm a blowhard though, I've had so many realizations lately!!
[/quote]

Creating this thread was the equivalent of a five year bragging about having [i][b][u]a[/u][/b][/i] secret...

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1338331993' post='4996782']
The Hogan "secret" and the people constantly trying to determine what it is reads a lot like Grail lore - it represents different things to different people, and perhaps no one can confidently say what it is. I have started plenty of threads in a spur of the moment kind of mentality (re: Fg Tour X) and I understand how the excitement often overrides better decision making, but I hope that you can understand why some people might be a little put off by an unwillingness to share. Whether you meant it or not, it presents a certain way. I am a teacher - I would share information with my students whether I was paid or not. That is where my grouchiness comes from as pertains to this thread, whether that is worth something or not.

In any case, I understand the process you suggest. I doubt any "secret" could be immediately and practically applied so easily. If there really is a secret, it was likely particular to Hogan. I think the beauty of the Hogan mythology (if you will) is that there is plenty to take away from studying his swing, and that may be applicable to a range of golfers depending on individual need.
[/quote]

I understand. You're right, I didn't think ti through, and honestly it's hard for me to think clearly when I get amped up on golf (which is why I'm still at my desk at 7:15PM :russian_roulette: ).

Anyway, I think you are correct, Hogan's secret was particular to him (IMO). And I tried to impliment his "secret" mainly because IMO I had the same problems through impact that he had through impact in the 1930s so it made sense.

Maybe I will share it after all. But I need to cool down first because I don't want to regret it. And I definitely want to make sure "it" is actually IT.

And BTW, the change wasn't easy to impliment at all. I had a very long range session yesterday trying to impliment and did mirror work the entire night before going trying to understand and get the feel. But towards the end of the day I was convinced I knew it. Owning the actual move is a whole other issue. And again, I obviously need to keep all my other good moves that make the whole thing possible engrained as well. Can mess up a lot of things along the road (at least in my experience I have done that).