I absolutely did not figure out Hogan's secret about 30 weekends ago

I'm not expecting much. It'll be something lame like swing left, or cup wrist, or install an extra spike in your right shoe, or shift weight left before end of backswing, or use heavy stiff flat gear. I find it very hard to believe that a stone was left unturned and the OP just happened to stumbled on it in a drunken state at 1 am. I can't count how many eureka moments I've had while learning to swing a club only to find myself right back at the drawing board a week or so later. Please prove me wrong!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1338323127' post='4995874']
I always had this demented thought that Hogans secret had something to do with the male anatomy and hence the reason he, or perhaps this poster, cannot divulge due to the embarrassment factor.

Something to the effect of "ensure that your Johnson is against left thigh at impact" or "release anal aorta sphincter muscle during backswing".

Am I onto something with this? I have watched for all these possible "secrets" when I watch the Trevino video but very tough to make out with him wearing loose fitting pants.
[/quote]

Haha. I don't know if your joking, but I'm on my way to the range to try the two secrets you mentioned. Swiss, do you recommend boxers or briefs?

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1338340915' post='4997670']
I always had this demented thought that Hogans secret had something to do with the male anatomy and hence the reason he, or perhaps this poster, cannot divulge due to the embarrassment factor.

Something to the effect of "ensure that your Johnson is against left thigh at impact" or "release anal aorta sphincter muscle during backswing".

Am I onto something with this? I have watched for all these possible "secrets" when I watch the Trevino video but very tough to make out with him wearing loose fitting pants.
[/quote]Haha. I don't know if your joking, but I'm on my way to the range to try the two secrets you mentioned. Swiss, do you recommend boxers or briefs?
[/quote]
Real men wear Hanes...or at least I'm sure Hogan did. Perhaps the secret was Hogan went commando style. Increases torque, at least for me it does

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1338341293' post='4997738']

[/quote]Haha. I don't know if your joking, but I'm on my way to the range to try the two secrets you mentioned. Swiss, do you recommend boxers or briefs?
[/quote]
Real men wear Hanes...or at least I'm sure Hogan did. Perhaps the secret was Hogan went commando style. Increases torque, at least for me it does
[/quote]

That sphincter thing makes me think I may want to wear depends. I'd hate to shart midswing at the range.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1338341293' post='4997738']

[/quote]
[/quote]

He wore Munsingwear. Another of his secrets.

TD,

If you hook up with Ted Hunt, Tom Bertrand, VJ Trolio, Keern, Sevam and Martinez, you can start a traveling Hogan secret road show. Give it a cool name like:

"Hogan's most powerful secret move and angular device!"

Seriously though, the secret to Hogan's success can always be found by comparing the changes he made from the early 30's to the late 40's and I'm very happy for you that you found something in your studies that has helped you with your game. Hogan had a bit of a "hang back, spin out flipper" move in the early 30's that he completely eliminated by the mid 40's.

Now you just need to come up with a cool training aid to accompany your secret that can "instantly add 50 yards to your drives." Call it "The Hogan bullwhip" I give you permission to use that name.

I think I know where hogans secret is, it's buried in my garage. I need a few of you guys to come over to my place this Saturday, clean out my garage, and hopefully you'll find hogans secret in there. Plus you should sweep it out when you're done because I think hogans secret might be in the dirt on the floor.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338333658' post='4996932']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1338331993' post='4996782']
The Hogan "secret" and the people constantly trying to determine what it is reads a lot like Grail lore - it represents different things to different people, and perhaps no one can confidently say what it is. I have started plenty of threads in a spur of the moment kind of mentality (re: Fg Tour X) and I understand how the excitement often overrides better decision making, but I hope that you can understand why some people might be a little put off by an unwillingness to share. Whether you meant it or not, it presents a certain way. I am a teacher - I would share information with my students whether I was paid or not. That is where my grouchiness comes from as pertains to this thread, whether that is worth something or not.

In any case, I understand the process you suggest. I doubt any "secret" could be immediately and practically applied so easily. If there really is a secret, it was likely particular to Hogan. I think the beauty of the Hogan mythology (if you will) is that there is plenty to take away from studying his swing, and that may be applicable to a range of golfers depending on individual need.
[/quote]

I understand. You're right, I didn't think ti through, and honestly it's hard for me to think clearly when I get amped up on golf (which is why I'm still at my desk at 7:15PM :russian_roulette: ).

Anyway, I think you are correct, Hogan's secret was particular to him (IMO). And I tried to impliment his "secret" mainly because IMO I had the same problems through impact that he had through impact in the 1930s so it made sense.

Maybe I will share it after all. But I need to cool down first because I don't want to regret it. And I definitely want to make sure "it" is actually IT.

And BTW, the change wasn't easy to impliment at all. I had a very long range session yesterday trying to impliment and did mirror work the entire night before going trying to understand and get the feel. But towards the end of the day I was convinced I knew it. Owning the actual move is a whole other issue. And again, I obviously need to keep all my other good moves that make the whole thing possible engrained as well. Can mess up a lot of things along the road (at least in my experience I have done that).
[/quote]

TD..............

I'm all for the cloak and dagger stuff but I recommend you give people something to chew on. Comparing Hogan's post accident swing to his 1930 flippy low hook swing is useful, however a keen eye could have just compared it to lots of other 'modern' swings.

Mate, I don't need you to spell it out for me (because I'm fairly sure I know the main elements of what Hogan did and I've replicated it to some extent) and unlike others who want the magic pill solution it doesn't bother me either........... however to make this an interesting thread you've got to show people SOMETHING.

[u]So put up a video of your swing that incorporates this new move.[/u]
[u]
[/u]
The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1338349540' post='4998636']
TD,

If you hook up with Ted Hunt, Tom Bertrand, VJ Trolio, Keern, Sevam and Martinez, you can start a traveling Hogan secret road show. Give it a cool name like:

Seriously though, the secret to Hogan's success can always be found by comparing the changes he made from the early 30's to the late 40's and I'm very happy for you that you found something in your studies that has helped you with your game. Hogan had a bit of a "hang back, spin out flipper" move in the early 30's that he completely eliminated by the mid 40's.

Now you just need to come up with a cool training aid to accompany your secret that can "instantly add 50 yards to your drives." Call it "The Hogan bullwhip" I give you permission to use that name.
[/quote]

Man I can't stand all those secret in the dirt guys!! None of them are even close to Hogan, they are all flippers. Actually, I've been very actively trashing their videos on youtube (using facts - they claimed that Elk was long and I pointed out on the PGA tour his ballspeed never cracked 164MPH which is REALLY short for a modern professional claiming to be long IMO).

Back to the secret though, it's a shame there isn't more 1930s video of Hogan available.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338384197' post='4999918']
TD,

[/quote]

Man I can't stand all those secret in the dirt guys!! None of them are even close to Hogan, they are all flippers. Actually, I've been very actively trashing their videos on youtube (using facts - they claimed that Elk was long and I pointed out on the PGA tour his ballspeed never cracked 164MPH which is REALLY short for a modern professional claiming to be long IMO).

Back to the secret though, it's a shame there isn't more 1930s video of Hogan available.
[/quote]

haha yes. I'd like more footage of 48-49 hogan as well.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338351456' post='4998786']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1338331993' post='4996782']
The Hogan "secret" and the people constantly trying to determine what it is reads a lot like Grail lore - it represents different things to different people, and perhaps no one can confidently say what it is. I have started plenty of threads in a spur of the moment kind of mentality (re: Fg Tour X) and I understand how the excitement often overrides better decision making, but I hope that you can understand why some people might be a little put off by an unwillingness to share. Whether you meant it or not, it presents a certain way. I am a teacher - I would share information with my students whether I was paid or not. That is where my grouchiness comes from as pertains to this thread, whether that is worth something or not.

In any case, I understand the process you suggest. I doubt any "secret" could be immediately and practically applied so easily. If there really is a secret, it was likely particular to Hogan. I think the beauty of the Hogan mythology (if you will) is that there is plenty to take away from studying his swing, and that may be applicable to a range of golfers depending on individual need.
[/quote]

I understand. You're right, I didn't think ti through, and honestly it's hard for me to think clearly when I get amped up on golf (which is why I'm still at my desk at 7:15PM :russian_roulette: ).

Anyway, I think you are correct, Hogan's secret was particular to him (IMO). And I tried to impliment his "secret" mainly because IMO I had the same problems through impact that he had through impact in the 1930s so it made sense.

Maybe I will share it after all. But I need to cool down first because I don't want to regret it. And I definitely want to make sure "it" is actually IT.

And BTW, the change wasn't easy to impliment at all. I had a very long range session yesterday trying to impliment and did mirror work the entire night before going trying to understand and get the feel. But towards the end of the day I was convinced I knew it. Owning the actual move is a whole other issue. And again, I obviously need to keep all my other good moves that make the whole thing possible engrained as well. Can mess up a lot of things along the road (at least in my experience I have done that).
[/quote]

TD..............

I'm all for the cloak and dagger stuff but I recommend you give people something to chew on. Comparing Hogan's post accident swing to his 1930 flippy low hook swing is useful, however a keen eye could have just compared it to lots of other 'modern' swings.

Mate, I don't need you to spell it out for me (because I'm fairly sure I know the main elements of what Hogan did and I've replicated it to some extent) and unlike others who want the magic pill solution it doesn't bother me either........... however to make this an interesting thread you've got to show people SOMETHING.

[u]
[/u]
[/quote]

Fair enough. If you've seen my channel you know I've got hundreds of public videos (and even more private ones of me taking notes to myself sitting in front of the computer rambling lol).

I'll post some stuff up later today. Face on and DTL driver. Gunna be EARTH SHATTERING lol.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338384435' post='4999938']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338351456' post='4998786']

[/quote]

TD..............

[u]
[/u]
[/quote]

Fair enough. If you've seen my channel you know I've got hundreds of public videos (and even more private ones of me taking notes to myself sitting in front of the computer rambling lol).

I'll post some stuff up later today. Face on and DTL driver. Gunna be EARTH SHATTERING lol.
[/quote]

Good Man.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338384197' post='4999918']Man I can't stand all those secret in the dirt guys!! [b]None of them are even close to Hogan, they are all flippers[/b]. Actually, I've been very actively trashing their videos on youtube (using facts - they claimed that Elk was long and I pointed out on the PGA tour his ballspeed never cracked 164MPH which is REALLY short for a modern professional claiming to be long IMO).

[/quote]

Oddly enough, each of them has a few good ideas, but nobody is close to the entire package. All of them contradict each other.

I had eggs for breakfast...just how hogan liked them. That's the secret. If he didn't eat those eggs he never woulda been able to spend all that time out there practicing. :bb:

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

TD,

[/quote]

The OP found the tylerdurden secret.

The success Hogan found until September 1947 was all "pre-secret" stuff, and that was based on a alot of hard work and some good teachers (Picard with the grip, Sam Byrd, Melhorn, Demaret and others with changes to his swing and dynamics).

"THE Secret" had nothing to do with Hogan being a flipper, that changed happened long prior. THE Secret was found in mid-September 1947, and elminated the rollover hook.

The mistake of the OP is thinking tylerdurden's secret was Hogan's secret.

[quote name='drewspin' timestamp='1338392498' post='5000704']
TD,

[/quote]

The success Hogan found until September 1947 was all "pre-secret" stuff, and that was based on a alot of hard work and some good teachers (Picard with the grip, Sam Byrd, Melhorn, Demaret and others with changes to his swing and dynamics).

"THE Secret" had nothing to do with Hogan being a flipper, that changed happened long prior. THE Secret was found in mid-September 1947, and elminated the rollover hook.

[/quote]

I don't follow to be honest.

IMO the rollover hook was the result of him being a flipper. Once he stabilized his clubface from hip high to high high (impact zone), he killed the hook. You disagree with that?

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338392788' post='5000734']
[quote name='drewspin' timestamp='1338392498' post='5000704']
TD,

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't follow to be honest.

IMO the rollover hook was the result of him being a flipper. Once he stabilized his clubface from hip high to high high (impact zone), he killed the hook. You disagree with that?
[/quote]

He was already not a flipper by 1945-mid-1947, and he was a great player by then, but he still had a problem with the rollover-hook, esp. at the end of tournaments.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338392788' post='5000734']I don't follow to be honest.

[/quote]

I think Drew is staying the pivot problems that stalled the arms were fixed. But that doesn't necessarily stop the face from closing too fast.

What you found was good, but not "THE" secret.

IMO, Hogan's secret is personal to him, the last piece of a puzzle. Someone else may already have that piece, for example you. So your secret, might be something else that Hogan already had in place.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1338396648' post='5001136']
Why not try to copy Nelson or Snead? Hogan's swing was very complicated, idiosyncratic, worked very well for him, but not so well for anyone else. The Hogan swing is the most over analyzed ever, and if there is a secret beyond talent and hard work, someone would have found it by now.
[/quote]

Rrobably because everyone agrees Hogan was the best ball striker. Snead has Hogan traits, at least the ones that count. [b]Copying is bad, learning is good.[/b] Look at those two guys (snead and hogan) and you will see alot. Same thing with the OP. He found something in Trevino, who is often overlooked. All good stuff.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1338395599' post='5001046']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338392788' post='5000734']I don't follow to be honest.

[/quote]

I think Drew is staying the pivot problems that stalled the arms were fixed. But that doesn't necessarily stop the face from closing too fast.

What you found was good, but not "THE" secret.

[/quote]

Yep.

You have to realize what the goal of the secret was... to hit it RELIABLY [u]straight[/u], or straight with a slight fade, especially down the stretch in championship tournaments.

Hogan wanted to win majors (or more majors if you count the Hale America as a major) and he very much wanted to dominate and REALLY wanted to collect winners checks.

Why not take him at his word about how he found it and how it worked like a charm FOR HIM.

I think its great the OP found something that works well FOR HIM.