2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Sam's guess at Hogan's secret...

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338573856' post='5012594']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338571320' post='5012304']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1338570065' post='5012160']
Hogan's left arm also swung way below the pane of glass and his hands at the top of the backswing were at least a foot below where they would be if he'd kept his left arm brushing that pane all the way to the top as he claimed in 5L.
[/quote]

I am sure it will brush the glass if his turned more such as in his driver swings where his aiming for max distance. For irons or easier swings where short of his maximum distance for that club, wouldn't you swing shorter?

In any case...it seems to me his L arm (which incidentally includes the deltoids or shoulder muscles, hence his L shoulder I'm talking about) pretty much brushes the glass in here:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYRiEmVsfY[/media]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCZCNGs3Gk[/media]

But in any case, I think the whole L arm from deltoids/socket (L shoulder) to hands swinging parallel and UNDER the plane of glass is a great feel or imagery.
[/quote]

His left arm wouldn't touch the glass in the example you gave. It's easy to see, just hold a pen up to the screen and make a line from the ball through his neck. It's not even close.
[/quote]

The Hogan plane of glass is measured from ball to shoulders at SETUP, not on top (not Turned Shoulder Plane).

But in any case, it is pretty close on full driver swings. Only the hands part is not brushing much.

But to me the most important thing is the L shoulder. It mustn't go above the plane. The L shoulder, which to me by the way is part of the L arm, should really turn below and UNDER the Hogan plane.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338600684' post='5014958']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338578734' post='5013020']
[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1338575076' post='5012726']

With a weight balance of say 45 left 55 right at address, that move will put you more on the left side early on the BS.
[/quote]

Gave it a whirl and first impressions is that this is fantastic advice, so muchos gracias!

With little bits and pieces here and there I feel I'm getting bloody close to nailing and automating this transition, and therefore the optimum elbow and arm path on the downswing (beginning to feel more and more effortless, fluid, consistent and right).......... with a few tweaks to the all important set-up I really am beginning to feel that the [u]right-hip-backing-into-the-target[/u] from the top is the SECRET move if there ever was one as it clears my lower body out of the way beautifully for the free ride................. aside from looking bang on to what Hogan does imo.

............. I'm so close I can taste it. :lol:
[/quote]

Agree with MJ. That's why I asked you to do it before. You WILL fall target wards for sure even if you don't straighten the R leg/knee. Just keeping the R leg angle is enough.
[/quote]

Don't try and steal MJ's thunder! lol

As I said before, I had the basics of the set-up and the right knee function pretty good.............. what he suggested just tweaked my hip alignment and added some micro precision to what I was doing....... just another small layer of automation.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338602368' post='5015136']

As I said before, I had the basics of the set-up and the right knee function pretty good.............. what he suggested just tweaked my hip alignment and added some micro precision to what I was doing....... just another small layer of automation.
[/quote]

Don't worry I'm not even trying...lol

MJ, re the R knee straightening, don't you think that will result to an artificial shoulder turn...the R knee unbending/straightening is the one allowing the shoulders to turn more instead of the shoulders trying to turn against the resistance of the hips?

Hogan clearly said in 5L that you should restrain/restrict the hips during the takeaway/BS until the shoulders pulls the hips. I think the R leg straightening from the SnT fame is a compensation for a very limited shoulder turn caused by keeping the weight 55-45 at setup and then increasing the weight incrementally on the left foot as the BS and DS progresses.

So why not just restrain the hips until the shoulder pulls it, keep the R leg angle and the knee flex/bend, and just let the L knee and L heel to be pulled naturally by the shoulders. This way you will fall to the L foot anyway...so the objective of SnT to get the upper and lower center to the left is achieved....but this way you got to get the benefits of the COG/pressures shifting...it helps you get down to elbow plane earlier...problem is, most people will lose the L wrist ****/lag....lol

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338604966' post='5015378']

[/quote]

MJ, re the R knee straightening, don't you think that will result to an artificial shoulder turn...the R knee unbending/straightening is the one allowing the shoulders to turn more instead of the shoulders trying to turn against the resistance of the hips?

Hogan clearly said in 5L that you should restrain/restrict the hips during the takeaway/BS until the shoulders pulls the hips. I think the R leg straightening from the SnT fame is a compensation for a very limited shoulder turn caused by keeping the weight 55-45 at setup and then increasing the weight incrementally on the left foot as the BS and DS progresses.

So why not just restrain the hips until the shoulder pulls it, keep the R leg angle and the knee flex/bend, and just let the L knee and L heel to be pulled naturally by the shoulders. This way you will fall to the L foot anyway...so the objective of SnT to get the upper and lower center to the left is achieved....but this way you got to get the benefits of the COG/pressures shifting...it helps you get down to elbow plane earlier...problem is, most people will lose the L wrist ****/lag....lol
[/quote]

sorry to interject but I think MJ had my weight 45-55 (left-right), as opposed to the 55-44 as proposed by S&T............

though I could be misunderstanding both of you?

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338608888' post='5015746']

[/quote]

[/quote]

sorry to interject but I think MJ had my weight 45-55 (left-right), as opposed to the 55-44 as proposed by S&T............

[/quote]

Yes, that is right. I am just trying to say that SnT incrementally increasing weight on L foot as the swing starts is not Hogan. That is why SnT guys have a limited shoulder turn, they are intentionally keeping and increasing pressure on the L foot. Hogan said let the foot be pulled by the shoulders, not the other way around.

So because of the limited shoulder turn they straighten the R knee to release the R hip and to allow the shoulders to turn more.

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338609420' post='5015778']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338608888' post='5015746']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, that is right. I am just trying to say that SnT incrementally increasing weight on L foot as the swing starts is not Hogan. That is why SnT guys have a limited shoulder turn, they are intentionally keeping and increasing pressure on the L foot. Hogan said let the foot be pulled by the shoulders, not the other way around.

So because of the limited shoulder turn they straighten the R knee to release the R hip and to allow the shoulders to turn more.
[/quote]

Ok gotcha!

I personally find S&T to promote an somewhat unnatural motion that doesn't meld with the ideal athletic sequencing.

If I was to stand in a golf set-up, and then made a powerful low side-arm throw, I would wind up using the right shoulder and hip/leg............... the importance of the left leg comes later.

I get why people choose to use S&T and it might work for them in the short-term, however I personally wouldn't let it near my own swing as I see it as quick fix solution that forces you to make too many compensations.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338611787' post='5015938']

Ok gotcha!

I personally find S&T to promote an somewhat unnatural motion that doesn't meld with the ideal athletic sequencing.

If I was to stand in a golf set-up, and then made a powerful low side-arm throw, I would wind up using the right shoulder and hip/leg............... the importance of the left leg comes later.

I get why people choose to use S&T and it might work for them in the short-term, however I personally wouldn't let it near my own swing as I see it as quick fix solution that forces you to make too many compensations.
[/quote]

Well, it easy to nitpick on every method out there..but let me say this...SnT has given out information and basic principles about the golf swing that are true and has never been given out there...it paves the way for a much much better understanding of the golf swing...its just a different way to skin the cat...IMO its just the MORAD pattern for hitting wedges, short irons and knockdowns...

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338612209' post='5015956']
Just to be clear...I agree with everything SnT has to say...except the weight left and weight continuing to increase left, and the slowing down the shoulder whipping the whip move...I'm for COG shifts and giving it all you've got...
[/quote]

Hi there,

Last post for a while I think and gotta go for lunch..................... I understand what you're saying about the S&T approach working for a lot of people and giving them greater understanding of the game (any swing theory that is proved to 'work' will do that').............. but like you I personally think that having the weight stacked to the left is sub-optimal.

I think you are probably right that its an adapted technique for the short game, which is again why I think it doesn't promote ideal athletic sequencing when looking for power in the long game............ I mean I haven't seen any Long driving champs Stacking over their left leg, and nor did Snead or Hogan do this.

I fully understand why someone who doesn't have lots of time to figure out the game would like a simple'ish concept that will give them more consistent ball-striking........... I just can't understand why a pro with the talent and time they have would go down this route...........

Not dissing it really, just saying that for me there are better (but perhaps more difficult) ways to swing the club consistently than stacking on the left side, and I hope I'm doing it already!

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338614308' post='5016022']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338612209' post='5015956']
Just to be clear...I agree with everything SnT has to say...except the weight left and weight continuing to increase left, and the slowing down the shoulder whipping the whip move...I'm for COG shifts and giving it all you've got...
[/quote]

Hi there,

Last post for a while I think and gotta go for lunch..................... I understand what you're saying about the S&T approach working for a lot of people and giving them greater understanding of the game (any swing theory that is proved to 'work' will do that').............. but like you I personally think that having the weight stacked to the left is sub-optimal.

I think you are probably right that its an adapted technique for the short game, which is again why I think it doesn't promote ideal athletic sequencing when looking for power in the long game............ I mean I haven't seen any Long driving champs Stacking over their left leg, and nor did Snead or Hogan do this.

I fully understand why someone who doesn't have lots of time to figure out the game would like a simple'ish concept that will give them more consistent ball-striking........... I just can't understand why a pro with the talent and time they have would go down this route...........

Not dissing it really, just saying that for me there are better (but perhaps more difficult) ways to swing the club consistently than stacking on the left side, and I hope I'm doing it already!
[/quote]

But don't diss it out completely. Just adjust a couple in there and its pretty much the best IMO...

[/quote]

MJ, [b]re the R knee straightening,[/b] [b]don't you think that will result to an artificial shoulder turn[/b]...the R knee unbending/straightening is the one allowing the shoulders to turn more instead of the shoulders trying to turn against the resistance of the hips?

Hogan clearly said in 5L that you should restrain/restrict the hips during the takeaway/BS until the shoulders pulls the hips. I think the R leg straightening from the SnT fame is a compensation for a very limited shoulder turn caused by [b]keeping the weight 55-45[/b] at setup and then increasing the weight incrementally on the left foot as the BS and DS progresses.

[/quote]

No, it facilitates the hip turn which allows me to make the deepest shoulder turn possible - I'm starting the BS with the right shoulder, getting it in back of my right heel - a 90+ deg shoulder turn with a 45-55 deg hip turn and plenty of resistance between the shoulders and hips. Max shoulder turn in order to open up the triangle as much as possible for the DS. My shoulder turn on the BS is flatter than Hogan's and I cup the left wrist for more wristc0ck and to keep the club from getting too flat and behind me. And the 45-55 weight distribution is [b]45 front and 55 back[/b] - [b]no S n T[/b] - nicebd read it correctly.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1338661115' post='5017876']

[/quote]

MJ, [b]re the R knee straightening,[/b] [b]don't you think that will result to an artificial shoulder turn[/b]...the R knee unbending/straightening is the one allowing the shoulders to turn more instead of the shoulders trying to turn against the resistance of the hips?

Hogan clearly said in 5L that you should restrain/restrict the hips during the takeaway/BS until the shoulders pulls the hips. I think the R leg straightening from the SnT fame is a compensation for a very limited shoulder turn caused by [b]keeping the weight 55-45[/b] at setup and then increasing the weight incrementally on the left foot as the BS and DS progresses.

[/quote]

No, it facilitates the hip turn which allows me to make the deepest shoulder turn possible - I'm starting the BS with the right shoulder, getting it in back of my right heel - a 90+ deg shoulder turn with a 45-55 deg hip turn and plenty of resistance between the shoulders and hips. Max shoulder turn in order to open up the triangle as much as possible for the DS. My shoulder turn on the BS is flatter than Hogan's and I cup the left wrist for more wristc0ck and to keep the club from getting too flat and behind me. And the 45-55 weight distribution is [b]45 front and 55 back[/b] - [b]no S n T[/b] - nicebd read it correctly.
[/quote]

Yeah, it produces more shoulder turn. Same thing in the DS, L leg straightening produces/aids more shoulder turn. That's why TW busted his knee.

But is that R leg straightening Hogan, IYHO?

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1338744734' post='5022088']
I doesn't look like it straightens at all to me, which makes sense because his shoulders are turning steeper on the glass pane. If I tried to keep it bent like Hogan, I'd need a right hip replacement sooner than later.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree.

What happens to your swing if you do that that Hogan does (shoulders turning steeper on the glass plane)? Why not do it as well? You'll be able to turn your shoulders more this time because the R side will not be bending like what you're doing...

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338773305' post='5025188']
I doesn't look like it straightens at all to me, which makes sense because his shoulders are turning steeper on the glass pane. If I tried to keep it bent like Hogan, I'd need a right hip replacement sooner than later.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree.

What happens to your swing if you do that that Hogan does (shoulders turning steeper on the glass plane)? Why not do it as well? You'll be able to turn your shoulders more this time because the R side will not be bending like what you're doing...
[/quote]

I don't follow - I can turn much farther with a flatter shoulder turn. What right side bending?

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1338840038' post='5029534']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338773305' post='5025188']
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree.

[/quote]

I don't follow - I can turn much farther with a flatter shoulder turn. What right side bending?
[/quote]

If you turn your shoulders flat in BS, your R side will bend inwards, which makes it harder to turn the shoulders because the R leg and hip are essentially unadjustable/fixed. The R hip sorta gets in the way of the R shoulder. That's why you have to straighten the R leg/knee--to adjust or move the R hip. OTOH, if you turn the shoulders upright on the Hogan plane, your L side will be the side of your body bending, which it could do so without hindrance because your L knee and hip is adjustable to make room for the L shoulder going down and L side bending. The R side doesn't have to bend, it just sorta remain straight during the BS, so no restriction on the shoulder turn. Also, in transition, there's room or flexibility to allow the R shoulder to get down and crunch/bend the R side in preparation for its necessity in DS to impact. This way you can turn your shoulders more in BS, and you can turn them faster in DS without getting a high R shoulder that forces you to release low and left and thus bend the base plane line to the left.

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338858599' post='5031186']
Also, in transition, there's room or flexibility to allow the R shoulder to get down and crunch/bend the R side in preparation for its necessity in DS to impact. This way you can turn your shoulders more in BS, and you can turn them faster in DS without getting a high R shoulder that forces you to release low and left and thus bend the base plane line to the left.
[/quote]

You can drive the right shoulder down plane from the deep flatter position and not bend the plane line - this is called the turned shoulder plane in TGM.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1338875518' post='5032656']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338858599' post='5031186']
Also, in transition, there's room or flexibility to allow the R shoulder to get down and crunch/bend the R side in preparation for its necessity in DS to impact. This way you can turn your shoulders more in BS, and you can turn them faster in DS without getting a high R shoulder that forces you to release low and left and thus bend the base plane line to the left.
[/quote]

You can drive the right shoulder down plane from the deep flatter position and not bend the plane line - this is called the turned shoulder plane in TGM.
[/quote]

By bending the plane line with a high R shoulder or flat shoulder turn I meant during Release and Impact and beyond, not Transition and Downstroke.

• 1 year later...