Editor review: 2012 PING i20 fairway wood

It has earned a spot in my bag for 2012. How about yours?!
First and foremost I want to thank PING golf andGolfWRX to test and review some of the latest and greatest offerings from PING.Thank you Rob from WRX and Mike from PING especially.

Just a few things aboutmyself before I get into the review. I am a golf enthusiasts, as many guys arehere on WRX. I have been golfing for about six years now (former baseballplayer) and take it serious, but always enjoy my time on the course. I carry ahandicap index of 8. Some strengths of my game are wedge play and iron play.Woods and hybrids had generally given me trouble until I stumbled upon the i15hybrid.

Club tested: 2012 PING i20 Fairway Wood 15* 3 wood

• Pros: The matteblack finish is both functional and great looking from address.It eliminates glare that most other clubheads don't. The black face really helps the ball stand out when lining up theclub at address. The stock shaft offering is a solid stock offering with no upcharge. Solid feel and sound at impact. Great off the tee and deck, as well as, out of the rough.
  • Cons: I had trouble getting my ideal ballflight. May not be an issue with all golfers, but it was for me. Longer stock length than I am used to. Really not many things wrong with this club, I mean that.
  • Overall Bottomline: PING has another nice offering. Doesn't appear to be as easy to hit and as forgiving as the G15 that I own. The all black stealth look is sure to attract many people. There are other all black clubs on the market,but none others have matte black glare free finish which is great. The sound and feel are very nice at impact, and mishits come with good feedback for the user. In my opinion this is a club that would be great for a mid to low handicapper and someone looking to lower their launch.

Editor/Tester Review:

• Look (5 stars)
  • This is obviously the first thing anyone notices about the club is the look and this club is a beauty, black beauty. The matter black finish is flawless and gives the club a great clean/mean look. Match that with the Project X black shaft and you've got yourself one stealthy club.The club has some nice clean lines and a great shape to it.  The club sits flat at address and appears to be pretty low profile. The club compares quite favorably to the i15 fairwaywood in appearance. The head is nice and compact and appears to be slightly smaller than my g15. I personally just can't get over how nice the club looks. It is very appealing to my eye and should be great on sunny days. With more play, so far the finish is holding up nicely. No signs of dullness, and no ball marks on the face, even after hitting off a sandy grass range.

• Performance/playability (4.5 stars)
  • I finally got the club working yesterday. I was able to turn it over when needed. I could cut it no problem. And when a straight ball down the middle of the fairway, I had no problem hitting the shot I needed. The club is most definitely one of the longer fairways I have hit. In one full day of testing, in all ways off tee, off the deck, and out of the rough this club has outperformed all others I have owned or bagged in the past. I would say this is more of a players club with some forgiveness. The ball jumps off the face. Even when I thought I mishit it some, the ball straightens out its flight and ends up where I needed it to. No bad misses that aren't controllable or playable. I would say the club has plenty of forgiveness. Great club and it is staying in my bag for 2012!

EDIT (4/17): Played the club last night on a short par 4, thought I mishit a weak fade into the trees down the right side, but ended up with one of my best drives on that hole. This club is LONG, and much more forgiving than originally anticipated.

• Feel (5 stars)
  • As with all the PING clubs I own, the feel is sweet. Solid and sweet. The club offers, like the driver and hybrid, a nice muted tick sound on impact. I am not a fan of the tingy/tinny sounds of some clubs. The i20 fairway wood offers none of that.The sound and feel of the i20 fairway make for a great combo.  You can feel mishits, which in my opinion is good/important. The club offers good feedback on mishits letting you feel where the mishit occurred. The feel is right up there with the g15 but a little more harsh on mishits. The feeling I got was a dull almost a thud, think of punching a punching bag. The sound I got last night seemed to be a bit different. I got more a metallic sound to it almost like a muted tink sound. The project X black shaft feels smooth and has a nice kick to it. Not sure on the overall weight of the shaft, but it feels lighter than what I had been playing.

• Overallbottom line (4.5 stars)
  • All in all, I love the look of the club how could you not?! I love the sound and feel of the club. The club produces just the ball flight I was looking for. Had some great drives off the tee on shorter par 4's where accuracy is key and this club helped me do so. This is where I mainly use fairway wood, but I would like a higher launch for long par 5's and long par 3's. Again no problem for the i20 fairway wood.I would recommend this club for a more consistent player with a good long game.  I think a more experienced player would maximize the benefits of the club more than the average golfer would. The club took some getting used to as it is longer in length than my current set up. (SEE BELOW)

UPDATE (4/19): I played 30 holes yesterday with the i20 fairway wood in the bag and had a good range session. It has officially knocked the G15 out of my bag! This club is the real deal

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a few holes after work last night, there is a shortish par 4 hole #2 where generally FW is a smart play or driver if you can get it to the flat plateau about 80 yards short of the green. I hit the i20 fairway back to back against the g15. Smoked the g15 down the left side happy with it. Tee up with the i20 fairway. Aim more down the right side, its getting dark at this point and hard to see ball flight when it gets up into the dusk sky, I thought I mishit it and hit a weak fade into the trees on the right, WRONG! The shot ended up being one of the best I ever had on the hole. I have 90 years left to middle flag location. Needless to say, I was impressed and shocked.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

Great review!

I have been a long time G15 4w user and really enjoyed its consistent performance.

Tried everything out there (with exotic shafts) but coming back to G15 4w because it is great club off the tee and from the deck.

i20 fw looks great and sure flat out perform but I just have hard time justifying it over G15 like you.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1334841657' post='4751094']
Great review!

I have been a long time G15 4w user and really enjoyed its consistent performance.

Tried everything out there (with exotic shafts) but coming back to G15 4w because it is great club off the tee and from the deck.

i20 fw looks great and sure flat out perform but I just have hard time justifying it over G15 like you.
[/quote]

I will be hitting them side by side all spring to see which one wins out. I like both. G15 has been in my bag for over a year, it will be tough to knock it out but the i20 is trying very hard.

I tried the i15 and couldn't get the thing airborne. The i20 performs much better for me than the i15 and more favorably to the G15. Great club, great look. If you are ready for something new I highly recommend it.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

Updated my review. This club is the real deal. It will be in my bag for 2012. Played 31 holes with it in the bag last night and that's all I needed to be convinced.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 1 month later...

I picked up an i20 hybrid after reading your review and hitting it. Went to the store today and hit the i20 fairway. Blew everything else away. Going to get one of these things soon- just need to find the right shaft. Most likely going with the 707 shaft. Love it in my hybrid I am sure it is good in the fwy too. Thanks for the great reviews.

Can anyone compare it to the G10?, which was the last Ping fairway wood I liked

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple pictures after about 3 months of use on the range and normal play.

[attachment=1250864:IMG_0446.jpg][attachment=1250870:IMG_0447.jpg]

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 1 month later...

Purchased my i20 driver, fairways and hybrids about 4 months ago. These fairways are hot, long and straight. Easy to shape and while I love the matte black finish, I am still undecided about the black face? It does mark up a bit easier than the silver finish as previous post photo's demonstrate. But overall this is a great fairway club from Ping. I owned the i15 series last year and the i20 is an improvement for sure. Stock shaft offers a great feel and looks awesome. Gets the ball out from just about any lie.
The i20 hybrid is the easiest hybrid I have ever hit. I had the Tilteist 910H and the i15 last year, the Tilteist was better than the i15, but the i20 blows it away. Its cheaper to purchase, easier to hit, matter finish is great. 23 degree flies 190-200 easily.

Previous post asked about comparing the G10, kind of tough as the G series have a bit wider or deeper face than the i series. But every year clubs get better so I would say going from the G10 to G20 there would be a huge improvement. The i20 may target better players, maybe 10 handicap or under could handle them easily in my opinion. Keep in mind I also think the I20 stock shaft offering is likely a bit better as well. I use the stock TFC707 stiff shaft in my i20 driver, fairways and hybrids, and love them, but I am also a 3-4 handicap. Go test them first.

The hunt for a 3-wood may have finally come to an end! (yeah, right!)

After trying just about every 3 wood out there (RBZ 15*, RBZ 13* TOUR, Burner Superfast 2.0 15*, Titilest 910f 13.5, Bridgestone/Precept 14* tungsten, etc.) I was getting very frustrated and disappointed in all the hype that goes on concerning the latest offerings. I was expecting the same from the Ping product.

I traded the RBZ 15* and the 910f both in on the Ping i20 14* with the stock 707f stiff shaft, without hitting it or using a monitor. I was grasping at straws by now.

Took it to my 'personal' driving range (my local middle school football/soccer/baseball practice field which is about 300 yards corner to a backstop with the wind mostly in my face or coming from the right). Found the best level area with good grass (hot Texas sun is taking its toll on the Bermuda) which was about 20 yards short of the corner opposite the backstop. Hit several wedges to loosen up, working on tempo.

Finally had to hit the Ping. Wow! First shot low but straight and long! Adjusted ball position slightly and next was nicely high and straight! Hit about 20 more shots then stepped them off. The majority were in the 230 yard range with a dispersion of about 15 yards left to right. Had one that traveled past the backstop and was about 255 yards. None of my other 3 woods came close to this pattern.

I am 63 yo (turn 64 in November), driver ball speed is about 130, and I am a swinger not a hitter. So I don't throw these numbers out casually. For me it was a very pleasant surprise! I hope to take it on the course tomorrow morning and try it out on a couple of par 4's and the 4 par 5's (two downwind and two into the wind) that I can never reach in two.

I love the smaller head (hated the RBZ 15* as it felt like a driver off the deck), and the shaft, although it felt a little boardy to me, had a nice kick that made the ball fly flat and then hit the ground running. I could work it left to right (fade) very easily. I don't draw or hook the ball at all. Every time I try it I double cross myself so I have sworn off trying! The balance of the club felt nice and I could feel it throughout the swing with no problem. That helped my tempo. I haven't checked the swing weight so not sure what the specs say yet.

If this can survive the heat of the fire under pressure tomorrow I may have finally found the last club to complete my bag

Yeah, right!

DRIVER - Callaway Epic Max SL, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green (50gm, 5.5 tipped 1" @44.5"); Tensei CK Orange 60 Regular tipped 1" @ 44".

3 WOOD - Taylormade M5 Titanium 15*, Tensei CK Orange 70 regular; Tour Edge C722 15* Ventus Blue 6s 
5 WOOD - Tour Edge C721 19* Ventus Red 6s
HYBRID - Callaway Super Hybrid 20*, Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
IRONS - Srixon ZX5 (ver 1) 5-AW, Mercury Tour Pro-Kevlar firm; Tour Edge C722 5-AW, KBS TGI 80 Stiff
WEDGES - Ping Glide 4.0 54W, Glide 60T, both Ping ZZ115
PUTTERS - Yes! Rachel Tour, Bobby Grace Ollie HSM, Bobby Grace Smart Fit (KBS CT tour shaft), Bettinardi BB-1, Toulon Long Island, all at 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

Still bagging my i20 fairway. Currently have it shafted with a Diamana ilima 70s. I am thinking about throwing in a Matrix Ozik Candy Lime Code 8 stiff that I have. Could be a sweet combo, but loving the current combo. Only thing that has come close to knocking this combo out is the G20 3 wood with Kusala White 72 Stiff.

I don't keep my clubs at home, but I plan to update with pictures after 5 months of use.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 3 months later...

[quote name='just win' timestamp='1357526212' post='6181207']
Will probably get an all new bag of sticks this year with the exception of the putter and my i20 3 wood. One of my favorite clubs I have played(hence the avatar).
[/quote]

I will admit. Mine currently isn't in the bag. I put the G20 in the bag, but it has been misbehaving the last few months and may be getting replace soon. Back to the i20 I am thinking!

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='tigerslions78' timestamp='1357525220' post='6181101']
this club is great - Im thinking the 913s will kick them out but ill have no problem playing the i20s again!
[/quote]

Have you hit the 913's yet? I want to try the driver ASAP. The pro that I work for at home is on staff with Titleist so I should have a fitting cart to work with. Really looking forward to the driver. The fairways and hybrids look great as well. But I have been a PING guy for the last few years now, although I am currently trying a couple different drivers.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='MEC13' timestamp='1357025298' post='6147055']
I've gone through plenty of 3 woods in my days and am currently stuck with the RBZ tour 13*. I was wondering if any of you felt the i20 is good enough to keep in your bag through 2013?
[/quote]

For the time being mine is not in the bag, but may be back in very soon until something else comes along.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1357526563' post='6181243']
[quote name='tigerslions78' timestamp='1357525220' post='6181101']
this club is great - Im thinking the 913s will kick them out but ill have no problem playing the i20s again!
[/quote]

Have you hit the 913's yet? I want to try the driver ASAP. The pro that I work for at home is on staff with Titleist so I should have a fitting cart to work with. Really looking forward to the driver. The fairways and hybrids look great as well. But I have been a PING guy for the last few years now, although I am currently trying a couple different drivers.
[/quote]

not yet but my fav fairways are titleist - from the 906 to 909 to 910 and now the 913s come with real blueboards which is what I play in my fairways already - I don't think Im even going to hit them - purchasing them the minute they come out.

Driver on the other hand Im not sure what to do for 2013 - lots of great options inc. the Covert RFX 913 G25, ....

Recently purchased i20 15* 3w w/ TFC S-flex shaft. Ping markets the combo as mid trajectory, which is pretty accurate from my testing, though I felt it was at the lower end of mid. Another interesting thing is that the R flex is 64g, S is 81, and X is 86. 81g is pretty stout for even some of the better amateurs, and is surprisingly 17g heavier than it's R-flex brother in the fairway woods, and 19g heavier than it's S-flex brother in the drivers. I'm ~100mph swing speed with my i20 driver + TFC stiff shaft (that's a 62g shaft), so my swing speed may be considerably less with the 81g shaft in the 3w, which may be why i'm not completely satisfied with the trajectory I'm seeing. I may be purchasing an R-flex for the fairway wood to see if I can get the trajectory up a bit without sacrificing accuracy. If not, I may be returning them both. Thankfully Golfsmith has the 30-day playability gaurantee.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if there is a design difference between the 14* and the 15*? Is it really just a degree difference or is the 14* weighted differently to create a more piercing ball flight?

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new shaft to try in the i20 15* head I have. Fujikura Type F F709. Getting it installed as soon as I can to give it a try.

G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 4 months later...

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1359253085' post='6305713']
Just bought a new shaft to try in the i20 15* head I have. Fujikura Type F F709. Getting it installed as soon as I can to give it a try.
[/quote]
G'day Mate ,
I see you're now using a G25 fairway wood . I have the I20 but am thinking of grabbing a G25 3 wood for the extra forgiveness .
How do you find the G25 v the I20 ?
I have a Matrix Ozik HD9 Stiff in my I20 and am thinking of swapping it into a G25 head .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun