Aldila RIP

G.Review

Can anyone comment on the difference between the Adila RIP 60 and the Diamana Kai'li? My swing speed is 100-105, and I have hit both of these shafts with the 910 D2 9.5 and had pretty similar numbers, except with the Kai'li, I had a little higher spin rate but nothing too drastic. I also have a pretty flat swing path. Any ideas?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hgarridoiii' timestamp='1322873315' post='3882971']
I have used this shaft on my R9 SuperTri driver and love the way it performs. Would continue to use this if I ever decide to upgrade drivers.
[/quote]

+1. Thinking about adding one to my r9 3 wood as well.

PXG 0811 X GEN4 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

PXG 0341 X GEN4 16.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

PXG 0311 X GEN4 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317 X GEN4 22* Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0311 ST GEN4 5-PW Nippon Modus 120X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 52/56/60 Nippon Modus 120X

PXG Battle Ready Blackbird 35"

• 1 month later...

My ball flight was too low with the alpha, anyone recommend or try the beta? Is it similiar to the green NV as far as feel and perfromance (ball flight)?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1322111825' post='3845371']
I have this in 70X for my 910D3 9.5 .... not a fan, even though I want to be. I can't tell if its the shaft or not but I prefer the NV, especially in my fairway woods. I can pipe those every day but this has no consistency for me at all. I was on a launch monitor with it and had astronomically insanely bad numbers like 11,000 RPM and still hitting the ball 280yds... I just spin it somehow too much. I like a shaft that has no wobble/play to it when you waggle at address (I hook the ball so it just makes me feel like it'll hook it more)... This shaft definitely waggles to what seems like a regular flex shaft even though on a frequency machine it is playing fairly stiff (just the kick point I guess). The NVs are amazing and I am highly contemplating getting one for my driver I just don't know which weight because they play around 83g and don't know if I should go lighter or keep it the same.

Anyone want a 70X RIP? haha
[/quote]

If your spin was that high there's absolutely no way the ball still went 280 yards. The ball would balloon straight up and fall like a cannon ball if your numbers were like that. Just saying.

Anyone have this Aldila set up or any for that matter: 60 gamma in driver, 70 beta in 3 wood and 85 alpha in hybrid? How is the overall perfromance of these shafts as far as ball flight?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

[quote name='swingdoctor' timestamp='1304428398' post='3204313']
Got fitted yesterday for a Titlesit 910 D3 in 9.5 head mostly set b1 and c1. I am currently hitting a Matrix Oxik Xcon 82 gram x-stiff in a Adams LD Prototype head. I need a change to hit more fairways although when it is on the Adams is extremely deep. My goal is to hit more fairways and soften up the shaft and weight a bit without giving up too much distance. So I tried shafts mostly in the 72 gram stiff range. The shaft that produced the best numbers on the Vector (indoor net) was the Projext X 70 gram stiff(164 ball speed, 115 club speed, @13 degree launch with 1800-2300 rpm spin. However, I hit the RIP in the 60 gram stiff and my ball speed number jumped to 172 on 3 straight hits. They didn't have the 70 gram in the fitting bag but will have it in a few days. Through my experience, I am guessing the ball speed will stay relatively the same with the 70 gram versus the 60 gram but my spin and dispersion will tighten up, which will be good. We will see but at least I know the Project X accomplishes my goal. Can't wait to hit the RIP 70 stiff though because who wouldn't want an extra 8 mph of ball speed without changing their swing! Any ideas?
[/quote]

Try the RIP 60 Alpha in XS. It has lower torque and plays much stiffer than you would expect for such a light shaft.

J40 430/9.5/ahina70//Ping i25/AD-DI7S
TEE CB3/13*//Wishon 949mc/18*
Titleist 913H/D 23*/ Diamana S+ Blue 82
Mizuno MP-52/5-9/DGS300
Scratch raw metal 1018 D/S 47, 52, 56, 62
Ping Redwood Anser or TearDrop TD-20

[quote name='3 putt Charlie' timestamp='1329426177' post='4302259']
[quote name='swingdoctor' timestamp='1304428398' post='3204313']
Got fitted yesterday for a Titlesit 910 D3 in 9.5 head mostly set b1 and c1. I am currently hitting a Matrix Oxik Xcon 82 gram x-stiff in a Adams LD Prototype head. I need a change to hit more fairways although when it is on the Adams is extremely deep. My goal is to hit more fairways and soften up the shaft and weight a bit without giving up too much distance. So I tried shafts mostly in the 72 gram stiff range. The shaft that produced the best numbers on the Vector (indoor net) was the Projext X 70 gram stiff(164 ball speed, 115 club speed, @13 degree launch with 1800-2300 rpm spin. However, I hit the RIP in the 60 gram stiff and my ball speed number jumped to 172 on 3 straight hits. They didn't have the 70 gram in the fitting bag but will have it in a few days. Through my experience, I am guessing the ball speed will stay relatively the same with the 70 gram versus the 60 gram but my spin and dispersion will tighten up, which will be good. We will see but at least I know the Project X accomplishes my goal. Can't wait to hit the RIP 70 stiff though because who wouldn't want an extra 8 mph of ball speed without changing their swing! Any ideas?
[/quote]

Try the RIP 60 Alpha in XS. It has lower torque and plays much stiffer than you would expect for such a light shaft.
[/quote]

I have the razr tour driver with mizyaki dromo's shaft. I'm thinking rip 70 stiff. my profile is ss 104-111 spinning 3500 on avg with driver launch 13.1-15.5. i get 255ish carry but just no roll. I'll hit some 275-290 drives now but really want to significantly bring down spin and some angle. 14 launch and 2200 would be nice:)) Realistically like to be under 3000 spin consistently with a boring flight would be great.
Ball speed is 157-162 with present setup.

Love to hear any thoughts or suggestions. The stock rip was not great but we all know those specs are different.

Im starting to think I should have left this in my driver instead of putting the DI6 in it. For me this shaft was a low to mid launch, and because of that I was losing 30 to 40 yards but It was straight for me. The DI6 I now have in the driver is all over the place. The one thing I miss about the rip is that I knew what was going to happen. Straight to little draw.

I took the driver shaft cut it down had it tipped and installed into my fast 11 3woods. I hit it almost longer in the 3 wood then I did in the driver. Off the deck 240 to 250 tee 260 to 270ish

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='kevn357' timestamp='1330068113' post='4365107']
I was very disappointed with the RIP alpha 70x. .I picked it up after reading a lot of reviews here.

It played like a noodle at the butt end. Not a good shaft at all if you have a high ss and want a low spin option. I've hit regular shafts that kick less.
[/quote]

I just played my first round with it and I actually really liked the rip a 70 shaft. It does feel a bit loose but I put it in without tipping just straight into club. The ball flight did come down and I was getting some more roll out. I think its a good shaft you can really feel the club through out the swing in terms of where it is and I had two big misses pull hook and one block right both lost balls. I found you do have to release hard with this club at impact or you will get that block. Definitely not boardy which I can't stand but some hard swingers do like it. This was very easy to square the face. I have my baby draw back which I love playing.

I picked up probaby 7-10 yds off driver vs my dromo's shaft but that's probably due to .5 lin onger shaft length but had a lot of drives roll out into the 278-293(twice) range which I've not done as often.

Look forward to some more rounds to get better review and do think tipping very well may help bring flight down a tad more. I had no problems at all launching in air if needed and could keep it low as well but really had to put a good swing on it.

Tipping the RIP has significant effects, those of you who need to tighten things up should try tipping it 1/4" or 1/2" and see if that makes a difference. I have the Alpha 90 in a 3W and had the Alpha 105 in a hybrid and they are a great low to mid launch and spin shaft. Very stable, not impossible to load, and they do have decent feel too.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='scottleo' timestamp='1329342764' post='4293161']
Anyone have this Aldila set up or any for that matter: 60 gamma in driver, 70 beta in 3 wood and 85 alpha in hybrid? How is the overall perfromance of these shafts as far as ball flight?
[/quote]

The Gamma is just a counter balanced version of the Alpha to help with swing weighting for heavier heads. It should play the same as an Alpha. The Alpha in a hybrid, IMO, is a great shaft. Low to mid launch, very tight dispersion. The Beta seems to be hit or miss for people, it's almost like you either love it or hate it, not sure why. It is supposed to be close to the Alpha but with a more responsive tip to raise spin and launch a little, while retaining maximum stability. I think the Beta is one of those shafts you need to try to find out. Well, that's all shafts, but the Beta more so than others, haha.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Ok thanks for the info....

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1330608573' post='4409889']
[/quote]

The Gamma is just a counter balanced version of the Alpha to help with swing weighting for heavier heads. It should play the same as an Alpha. The Alpha in a hybrid, IMO, is a great shaft. Low to mid launch, very tight dispersion. The Beta seems to be hit or miss for people, it's almost like you either love it or hate it, not sure why. It is supposed to be close to the Alpha but with a more responsive tip to raise spin and launch a little, while retaining maximum stability. I think the Beta is one of those shafts you need to try to find out. Well, that's all shafts, but the Beta more so than others, haha.
[/quote]

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I gave the shaft a 4 of 5. The only reason I gave it a 4 is becuase I could not get the ball up in the air. It had a low to mid ball flight for me with an ok spin rate. Other then the launch angle, I loved the shaft. I have nothing bad to say about it.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='scottleo' timestamp='1330615204' post='4410547']
Ok thanks for the info....

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1330608573' post='4409889']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

My ss is 100-102 mph with the driver...I am worried about the lower torque in the alpha for the driver....would u recommend the aplpha stiff with this type of ss? Or the beta stiff? I had great results with the beta in the 3 wood as I wanted to get more trajectory off the deck with the 3 wood. I do prefer a mid launch low spin with my driver....

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

• 4 weeks later...

Put this RIP Allpha 60 in my R11. Loved it.

I didn't like the R11 head, so I bought the Titleist D2 the same RIP shaft. Going on my 2nd season with the driver.

I did buy all new clubs this year. So I figured what the hell. I bought the Adams Fast 12 LS with a Fubuki Alpha. After 5 rounds I'm back to my Titleist D2 with the Aldila RIP Alpha 60. I have a shaft for life now. Last year I was never more accurate. It was my best driving year ever. Distance was also better than ever....that to me was a winner!

Titleist 915 D2, Motore Speeder 661
TEE XCG-7 Beta 16.5*, Ozik Red Tie 7Q3
Adams Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Odyssey Versa 90 #7 (White/Black)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a Adams 9064ls with the Gamma 60-s in it. I normally hit an xstiff with driver swing speed around 110mph. I felt the RIP in a stiff felt plenty stiff and had a great launch. If I hit a shaft that is too weak i would be hooking it like crazy, and i wasn't. I was hitting range balls 265 carry into a decent wind! I wasn't sure I was going to like this shaft but I think I am in love!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been trying out a ton of shafts over the last 2 years- and frankly, just haven't jumped on the Aldila RIP bandwagon until I tried the RIP Alpha (3.2 torque - Real deal). I do not know why this particular shaft has worked so well for me, but it's got a nice kick at the bottom and my accuracy has been dynamite- I can turn it over but I have to work at it- which for me is a good thing- My misses go left when I get too quick. Anyway for those of you that have been reluctant to try this one, I'd encourage you to give it a shot- My experience is that they play a half flex stronger / stiffer than most manufacturer's.
just my .02

Ping G430 Max / G400 Max Drivers

Hybrids:  19* and 22* Ping G425

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Have the RIP NV 70 X Stiff in an R11. Dialed the head in for my swing. The combinationI brought the spin down for me. Feels like a tighter tour gold, but still smooth.

Loved the shaft so much got a RIP NV 80 X Stiff to put in my trusty V Steel. Spined it. Awesome!

For me a great shaft. Tight, smooth, not too stiff, and gets my spin numbers down.

Will be in my bag for a long time.

• 11 months later...

Have the Diamana Blue Regular in my 913 D2. Just picked up the RIP Phenom 70 which is another OEM option on it. Hoping to get a little more distance with it. If it will help correct my tendency to slice, that would be nice too, but not really expecting that (more of a swing/follow through thing).

What should I really expect from going to this shaft from the Diamana Blue Reg?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is digging up an older post... but can anyone comment on how the RIP alpha 60-S compares to the X-flex shaft? I have a 60-S and it's ok... feels nice but launches a bit high and (though I haven't had it on a launch monitor) seems to spin a touch more than I'd like in the Covert Tour 2.0 driver. Will the X flex feel about the same and bring the flight/spin down with the firmer tip? Or does it just overall feel significantly stiffer too? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...