We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Chew: What are you dippin?

Smash Factors ·  
Smash FactorsSmash Factors  3677Members Posts: 3,677
When I was a kid we always chewed Kodiak wintergreen but I prefer Skoal Long Cut Classic.

I was talkin with a cashier at a local mini mart the other day. He chewed Copenhagen for about 20 years and recently switched to their long cut wintergreen. I bought a can and its really not that bad. Likin it right now.

What are you dippin?
Posted:
Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Comments

• Sonny217Sonny217 50/50/90  270Members Posts: 270
    Used to dip nothing but Skoal long cut cherry. Eventually switched to pouches for the convenience, then quit all together. Now I usually keep a tin of Camel Snus around, but its just not the same.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • poopspoops  847Members Posts: 847
    Genuine question - what's the allure of dipping?
    Posted:
  • Jbird33Jbird33  460Members Posts: 460
    Genuine answer....It cannot be explained to those that don't, as many addictions can't.

Copenhagen.
    Posted:
  • chairs59chairs59 Chairs59  177Members Posts: 177
    Jack Link's Original Jerky Chew!
    Posted:
    Taylormade Aeroburner 9.5
    Srixon ZTX 16* Hybrid
    Srixon H45 19* Hybrid
    Srixon Z Star 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot #7 34'
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Black 49*54*58*
  • Smash FactorsSmash Factors  3677Members Posts: 3,677
    Jbird33 wrote:

Genuine answer....It cannot be explained to those that don't, as many addictions can't.

Copenhagen.

I was gonna get Copenhagen but the guy was tellin me about the wintergreen....and it was only $2.90 a can.
    Posted:
    Some random 3 wood
    My same, old irons
    A few wedges...
    Scotty Cameron Fastback
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)  8352Members Posts: 8,352
    I do like the shredded beef jerky that comes in a tin image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    TM Milled Grind 52° - HiToe 56°/62°
    Mizuno TPM 7
    RZN Platinum

Advertisement
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14805ClubWRX Posts: 14,805
    I think it's been 20+ years since I quit dipping Copenhagen (never could stand the long cut), and still when my one of my buddies gets the can out I would love to have a dip.

It really can't be explained, but if you don't do it already.....don't start.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • JeemboJeembo People in glass houses sink ships  440Members Posts: 440
    I tried skoal apple once. I was pretty drunk and man.. it really amplified that. I could barely walk. Tasted great though.
    Posted:
  • RookieBlue7RookieBlue7  13158Members Posts: 13,158
    I buy Copenhagen by the log, usually 2 of the 5 can logs a week. Signing up on FreshCope.com gets you coupons all the time. That said, I can get 5 cans for $15.99 before tax instead of the normal $3.80 per can. I have tried other brands/flavors, but nothing else satisfies the craving like Cope.
    Posted:
  • albatrosseralbatrosser  3751Banned Posts: 3,751
    I used to dip original Cope with a lid full of Jack Daniels nixed in.... it was a great buzz. I used to smoke too. Thankfully I quit both before it was too late. Saved a ton of money and dont have to worry about having half of my face removed. It's a NASTY, BAD habit. Quit while you can before it's too late.
    Posted:
    T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
    T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
    T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
    Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
    B-stone West coast design 52/58
    Odyssey ProType #3
  • scotchbladescotchblade  2385Members Posts: 2,385
    poops wrote:

Genuine question - what's the allure of dipping?

Same as any other addiction. Booze, smoking, drugs, etc. Pleasure / conditioned response / physical addiction.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Hollywood1565Hollywood1565  81Members Posts: 81
    Grizz green long quiting july 31 wish me luck
    Posted:
  • wolffer25wolffer25  74Members Posts: 74
    Wintergreen Kodiak. Have no desire to try anything else. I hope to quit soon. Isn't that what everyone always says?
    Posted:

I buy Copenhagen by the log, usually 2 of the 5 can logs a week. Signing up on FreshCope.com gets you coupons all the time. That said, I can get 5 cans for $15.99 before tax instead of the normal $3.80 per can. I have tried other brands/flavors, but nothing else satisfies the craving like Cope.

Holy crap! 10 cans per week??? I dip only 3-5 times a week.

**** son...
    Posted:
    Some random 3 wood
    My same, old irons
    A few wedges...
    Scotty Cameron Fastback
  • McgeenoMcgeeno  2147Members Posts: 2,147
    Skoal Long Cut Cherry.

I've tried to quit 5-6 times, its very tough. Its the 'oral fixation' that is tough to beat. I can get over the addiction to nicotine in a week or so (Of ****) but I always want to pack something in the lip and end up faltering.

Americans are lucky though. You know what a tin costs in Canada? 20 dollars. Seriously.
    Posted:
  • tigerphantigerphan  1247Members Posts: 1,247
    Mcgeeno wrote:

Skoal Long Cut Cherry.

I've tried to quit 5-6 times, its very tough. Its the 'oral fixation' that is tough to beat. I can get over the addiction to nicotine in a week or so (Of ****) but I always want to pack something in the lip and end up faltering.

Americans are lucky though. You know what a tin costs in Canada? 20 dollars. Seriously.

I usually have Grizzy(love grizz) wintergreen long cut, right now only able to get Skoal citrus long cut since not in the states,,,currently buying them for 20 bucks a tin....argg.

is it just me or does anyone else putt a lot better with a few pinches in?

I dont get any feelings from snus unless I have 4 or 5 of them in...ahah
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • J_DJ_D  2617Jr. Boomers Posts: 2,617
    I tried some peach dip once... I didn't like it much and spit it out. Smells really good. Then I look at pictures of people with half a face and just chew another piece of gum.
    Posted:
  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand  1030Members Posts: 1,030
    Cope Wintergreen or Southern Blend.

Mom just found out tonight. Im 20, and she stil was very, very angry. I may be on my last few cans for good now.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
  • PaddyKPaddyK  1053Members Posts: 1,053
    Is this chewing tabaco?
    Posted:
  • MattTheTaffMattTheTaff Oh, I used to be disgusted.. and now I try to be amused  2252Members Posts: 2,252
    PaddyK wrote:

Is this chewing tabaco?

No it's dip, and it's banned in most EU countries (except Sweden I think)
    Posted:
    Titleist 905R - 10.5°
    Titleist 904f - 17°
    Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
    Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
    Cleveland 588 Forged 54°/60°
    Wilson Staff 8882
    I'm still none the wiser. Dip is something you have with Doritos.......
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Just looked it up, sounds rank.
    Posted:
  • JBent9610JBent9610  439Members Posts: 439

I'm surprised it's not more than that. When I first started dipping, I could get it for $.79 a can and 14 years later, when I quit, it was around $3.00 a can. That was in 1997, so for it to only have gone up $.80 in 15 years is not too bad. I thought it'd be over $5 a can by now.
    Posted:
    Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
    Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
    Halo/4DX
    X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
    ISI W2
    X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
    WHT 7H
    JBent9610 wrote:

I'm surprised it's not more than that. When I first started dipping, I could get it for $.79 a can and 14 years later, when I quit, it was around $3.00 a can. That was in 1997, so for it to only have gone up $.80 in 15 years is not too bad. I thought it'd be over $5 a can by now.

It usually is about $5 per can if you go to a convenience store, but the price can vary a lot depending on brand.
    Posted:
    Some random 3 wood
    My same, old irons
    A few wedges...
    Scotty Cameron Fastback
  • TheMackDaddyTheMackDaddy SEATTLE 4740Jr. Boomers Posts: 4,740
    Gross...
    Posted:
  • EmjayhEmjayh Long Putter Advocate  116Members Posts: 116
    Apologies in need of education...dipping is chewing yeah? or chewing is dipping .....either way it's something similar to tobacco that's not legal in Europe and comes in cans but you don't drink it ...right?

Geez, I think i'm totally lost here.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Emjayh wrote:

Apologies in need of education...dipping is chewing yeah? or chewing is dipping .....either way it's something similar to tobacco that's not legal in Europe and comes in cans but you don't drink it ...right?

Geez, I think i'm totally lost here.

It's a moist, smokeless tobacco that comes in a can. It comes in many different flavors, but the most common are natural and wintergreen. You take a pinch and put it between your front lip and gum. It makes you want to spit. Some people actually swallow the spit instead. Some people put a big pinch in their lip....other people like me take a smaller pinch. I used to hang with guys that would only get about 8-10 pinches per can. I get about 15-20.

Like cigarettes, it is bad for you. Can cause cancer and gum disease, but I brush and floss regularly to keep my mouth healthy.

I go through phases with chew. It lasts for a few months, then i stop for a long time.

To see what it looks like, do a google image search for Copenhagen tobacco.

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=ii
    Posted:
    Some random 3 wood
    My same, old irons
    A few wedges...
    Scotty Cameron Fastback
  • DublinBomberDublinBomber Pints and Putts  176Members Posts: 176
    right now im on my last tin, but its half cope straight long cut, half cope snuff

but i use swedish snus all day at work
    Posted:
    TM R11TP Rip Alpha 60X
    Ping i20 15* wood TFC707 X
    TM RBZTP 17.5* Rul 80X
    TM MC TP 3-PW w/ DG X100
    TM ATV 54*, Vokey 60*
    Bettinardi BB1 with Superstroke Mid
  • RookieBlue7RookieBlue7  13158Members Posts: 13,158
    Steve Ryan wrote:

JBent9610 wrote:

It usually is about $5 per can if you go to a convenience store, but the price can vary a lot depending on brand.

Not here in Georgia. I buy at a convenience store close to me. It's cheaper there than anywhere else. It's under $4 per can here.

As for why I dip so much, I get a 3 finger dip and get maybe 5 a can.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RaoulDuke32RaoulDuke32  49Members Posts: 49
    Grizz WinterGreen Long Cut, gotta love that "your jaws going to fall off" feeling it gives you. If the wife wasn't so opposed to me dipping I'd quit smoking and just chew. Now I just get a dip in while I'm on the course, or out drinking with buddies.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.