Moving to Boulder

masyankees

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Co.

I don't get up to Boulder much so I don't know much about the golf in the area. Sorry.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I live in Boulder! Lots of cool stuff to do in town and nearby! Flatirons is the only course in town; it's your typical flat, boring muny but fine if you just want to whack the ball around and that's usually where I end up playing because it's close. I think they have a grass area on the range, but I've never hit there. I've heard that Ute Creek up in Longmont and Saddleback out in Firestone and pretty okay tracks. Coal Creek is also right along 36 just south of Boulder. Haven't played there, either, but it usually looks to be in good condition.

[quote name='yumbrownies' timestamp='1343699499' post='5381558']
I live in Boulder! Lots of cool stuff to do in town and nearby! Flatirons is the only course in town; it's your typical flat, boring muny but fine if you just want to whack the ball around and that's usually where I end up playing because it's close. I think they have a grass area on the range, but I've never hit there. I've heard that Ute Creek up in Longmont and Saddleback out in Firestone and pretty okay tracks. Coal Creek is also right along 36 just south of Boulder. Haven't played there, either, but it usually looks to be in good condition.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Im less than 2 weeks away from moving in. Can't wait.

[quote name='masyankees' timestamp='1344195380' post='5410346']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you starting at CU? If you're gonna be a student, I know Flatirons has a student rate that saves you like $7 off the regular rate. I graduated in May but I'm curious if I'll be able to keep milking the discount...

[quote name='yumbrownies' timestamp='1344263144' post='5415594']
[quote name='masyankees' timestamp='1344195380' post='5410346']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you starting at CU? If you're gonna be a student, I know Flatirons has a student rate that saves you like $7 off the regular rate. I graduated in May but I'm curious if I'll be able to keep milking the discount...
[/quote]

No, I graduated last year from Rutgers. Now I'm just moving away from home

I work in Boulder, and I'm a Colorado native. You can play and practice at Flat irons golf course. It's an ok track that is cheaper.

Not to offend you, but why are all you NY/NJ people moving to Colorado? It's crazy how many of you move here. It's not that great, and now our traffic is horrendous. I have no idea why everybody thinks its gods country out here or something.

It used to be a nice place, 20 years ago.

Oh and by the way I HATE THE YANKEEs!!!

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

I work in Boulder, and I'm a Colorado native. You can play and practice at Flat irons golf course. It's an ok track that is cheaper.

Not to offend you, but why are all you NY/NJ people moving to Colorado? It's crazy how many of you move here. It's not that great, and now our traffic is horrendous. I have no idea why everybody thinks its gods country out here or something.

I can only speak for myself, but one thing that drew me there is that Colorado has a reputation for being very active. There is clearly a lot of opportunity to be active and take on new hobbies that aren't as available in the area I live, which is very urbanized and densely populated. Colorado also seems to have some cool cities, which provides enough similarity in lifestyle so that it isn't a complete 180, as moving to the middle of Wyoming or something might be. It seems to have a good blend of the advantages that city life provides, and allows people to get away from that city life fairly easily. There are also 4 major sports teams in the area, which is a bonus. I've always wanted to move somewhere different from where I grew up, and Colorado seemed like it would be a good fit. I can't speak for everyone from this area, but maybe a lot of people feel the way I do that they want to get away from constantly being surrounded by buildings and want to do so without losing the advantages a big city provides.

Sorry for ruining Colorado for you.

Maybe South Park was right...south-park-jersey-map.jpg

Those are valid points, and I understand why you would want to move here, and all the others as well. The mountains here are amazing, great sports and great golf.

What I don't like, are the NY type attitudes and rough gritty type of social behavior. I know its just the way people from NY are, and thats fine, but when they bring that type of behavior here, we don't like it. This is laid back type of town, we used to ride our horses everywhere. This is not faced paced, go man go everything is rip roaring fast. We treat people with respect and very friendly. AND WE DON'T HONK at everything that moves while driving in our cars.

I really don't care if you and all the rest of 12 million NYers move here, just please keep the attitudes in NY and we'll be good.

[quote name='Motley' timestamp='1344366030' post='5424656']
Those are valid points, and I understand why you would want to move here, and all the others as well. The mountains here are amazing, great sports and great golf.

What I don't like, are the NY type attitudes and rough gritty type of social behavior. I know its just the way people from NY are, and thats fine, but when they bring that type of behavior here, we don't like it. This is laid back type of town, we used to ride our horses everywhere. This is not faced paced, go man go everything is rip roaring fast. We treat people with respect and very friendly. AND WE DON'T HONK at everything that moves while driving in our cars.

I really don't care if you and all the rest of 12 million NYers move here, just please keep the attitudes in NY and we'll be good.
[/quote]

Haha. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. That attitude is another reason I'd prefer to be somewhere else. I don't consider myself to be that way at all, but maybe thats just compared to people around here. Either way, the more laid back attitude is something I'd like to embrace and if I get there and find myself getting impatient with the speed at which things move, I'll make sure I think about it and I'll try to adjust.

[quote name='masyankees' timestamp='1344368356' post='5424900']
[quote name='Motley' timestamp='1344366030' post='5424656']

[/quote]

Haha. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. That attitude is another reason I'd prefer to be somewhere else. I don't consider myself to be that way at all, but maybe thats just compared to people around here. Either way, the more laid back attitude is something I'd like to embrace and if I get there and find myself getting impatient with the speed at which things move, I'll make sure I think about it and I'll try to adjust.
[/quote]

Well I'm just glad you at least acknowledge it. You'll be just fine. Just remember you don't have to yell at anybody to get your point across.

You're first expeirence will probably be the DMV visit, don't be fooled though, we aren't that slow here. DMV gotta be the worst place in the world for anybody to deal with. LOL

It's all good man, I don't mean to sound like a complainer, and I'm just an easy going Coloradan.

PM me when you get here and we'll go play a round and have a beer.

Your second experience should be a brewery tour or three :)

As far as the attitude in Colorado goes, people are pretty laid back. The bad drivers here are less aggressive, but I'd describe the bad ones as a combination of passive-aggressive and just plain stupid. Watch out for the bikes, too.

Plenty of cool people in and around Boulder, but also more than its share of entitled a*******, new-age-buzzword-spewing pretend buddhists, bums, stoners, drunk college kids...

I think this sums it up fairly well: [url="http://www.dailycamera.com/lifestyles/ci_21229794/psychic-classes-kids-claim-help-strengthen-intuition"]http://www.dailycamera.com/lifestyles/ci_21229794/psychic-classes-kids-claim-help-strengthen-intuition[/url]

Welcome to the "Boulder bubble" :drinks:

Nice! Funny as hell.

I'll add a few Colorado facts here for ya....

Mountain golf is awesome.
Camping in the mountains is incredible, with large rainbow trout.
More sunny days than another other city in the US.
Cows and horses in open areas.
Corn fields out east

Cowboys driving their dulley's around thinking the bigger the truck, the more manly man they are.
Dry as hell your skin will crack.
Fires
Tornados
Shootings.
Radio Stations suck period.
The bar scene downtown will be laughable to you.

Bikers rule Boulder, you have to stop for them, and they are everywhere.

John Elway is considered a god here. He basically owns this town.

I can only speak for myself, but one thing that drew me there is that Colorado has a reputation for being very active. There is clearly a lot of opportunity to be active and take on new hobbies that aren't as available in the area I live, which is very urbanized and densely populated. Colorado also seems to have some cool cities, which provides enough similarity in lifestyle so that it isn't a complete 180, as moving to the middle of Wyoming or something might be. It seems to have a good blend of the advantages that city life provides, and allows people to get away from that city life fairly easily. There are also 4 major sports teams in the area, which is a bonus. I've always wanted to move somewhere different from where I grew up, and Colorado seemed like it would be a good fit. I can't speak for everyone from this area, but maybe a lot of people feel the way I do that they want to get away from constantly being surrounded by buildings and want to do so without losing the advantages a big city provides.

Sorry for ruining Colorado for you.

Maybe South Park was right...south-park-jersey-map.jpg

you are totally on the right track with your expectations and reasons to move out here. I was raised in upstate NY and was living in Baltimore...visited a friend out here and decided to move out here for better quality of life. basically quit golf about 5 years ago as I was doing so much flyfishing, backpacking, skiing, cycling, etc. now back playing golf since I missed it. Colorado is a great place to play, and not just golf. GO Yanks!

I can't believe I almost forgot this info for you. This is the one thing about Colorado I can't stand.

The women situation out here sucks!

Seriously, the officail ratio out here it's like 5 to 1 men to women. There aren't enough to go around.

All the hot chicks with a decent head on their shoulder are taken, married up with kids.

Of course we have plenty of 300lb heffers for you! Lots of them are available.

At the bars, you'll see like 20 dudes trying to pick up on the only single hot chick in the bar. And they start fighting over them. Then you see some fat chicks being picked up on, because the guys give up and resort this.

Unless you look like Brad Pitt, and have $10 mil in the bank. Good luck finding a chick, it's like winning the lotto.

[quote name='Motley' timestamp='1344379519' post='5426180']
I can't believe I almost forgot this info for you. This is the one thing about Colorado I can't stand.

Seriously, the officail ratio out here it's like 5 to 1 men to women. There aren't enough to go around.

All the hot chicks with a decent head on their shoulder are taken, married up with kids.

At the bars, you'll see like 20 dudes trying to pick up on the only single hot chick in the bar. And they start fighting over them. Then you see some fat chicks being picked up on, because the guys give up and resort this.

Unless you look like Brad Pitt, and have $10 mil in the bank. Good luck finding a chick, it's like winning the lotto.
[/quote]

Really? It must be because I moved here from the midwest, but it seems like (in Boulder anyhow) you could walk around town for half an hour and see more attractive people then you'd see in a week back east. Of course, I'm married, so I have no idea about the single to taken ratio. I figured that between Colorado being the least obese state in the country and Boulder having one of the highest populations of PhD-holders, things wouldn't be that bad.

[quote name='yumbrownies' timestamp='1344380181' post='5426230']
[quote name='Motley' timestamp='1344379519' post='5426180']

[/quote]

Really? It must be because I moved here from the midwest, but it seems like (in Boulder anyhow) you could walk around town for half an hour and see more attractive people then you'd see in a week back east. Of course, I'm married, so I have no idea about the single to taken ratio. I figured that between Colorado being the least obese state in the country and Boulder having one of the highest populations of PhD-holders, things wouldn't be that bad.
[/quote]

It's bad. But Boulder is a little bit different situation. You have the hot CU college girls. But they are rich, from somewhere else, and are busy going to frat parties. So it's unlikely you win the lotto and hook up with one of these girls.

It's OK if you're already married and moved here like you. But for bachelors here its not a good situation.

I have so many high school friends who gave up, and married ugly a** fat chicks. Me, I couldn't do it, thats why I'm 38 and still single.

I lived in Atlanta for about 4 years, then I moved back to CO. Now Atlanta has so many hot women it' just nuts. It's like 8 to 1 women to men out there. And they are all smokin hot, southern bells, and very friendly. They approach you at the bar!

I wish I would have brought back one of many hot chicks I dated, and brought them to Colorado. I'm kicking myself right now.

I haven't even had a girlfriend in over 5 years. And I consider myself a good looking, well fit, good career, etc.

No women here period.

Plenty of cheap options if you're willing to walk. I'm just up US36 off Sheridan and I have at least six courses within ten minutes of me under $40.

In no particular order:

Lake Arbor - Shorter, ego-boosting track ($23 walk/$34 ride)

Hyland Hills - This is my home track. They have Gold (championship 18), Blue (regulation nine), South (decent little par-3), and North (junior par-3). You only hit off mats in winter. ($37/$21/$11/$7 respectively - it's waaaaay cheaper for residents. If you feel like driving 15 minutes up 36, I can easily get you the resident rate - $25/$14/$7/$4)

Heritage at Westmoor - Easily one of the most underrated golf courses in the metro area. EASILY. Hosted multiple Open qualifyings, Women's Opens, US Am qual, etc. $40 or $37 for residents.

Legacy Ridge - Another sweet track. Some people consider a few holes quite dumb because of the over abundance of blind shots. I like it. $40 or $37 resident.

I'll second everything else said about Flatirons, Coal Creek, and Indian Peaks. I've played CC and can say it was in great shape and they have a deal where you spend $109, get a free round, Twilight prices no matter when you play, and free greens fees from Dec-Feb. It's ending very soon though so you might wanna chop-chop on that one. IP has nice practice facilities but if you really care about that you need to make the 20 minute hike to Heritage.

Some tracks with a little driving involved:

Buffalo Run - This place is so freakin' fun it should be illegal to play there. Amazing championship course damn near in the middle of nowhere. Colorado links, baby! It's steeper during the day but, two and half hours before sundown, they drop the rate to a buck a hole. Yep, $9 to walk nine. I'd easily pay three times that. It's a beautiful place.

Riverdale Dunes and Knolls - Two championship courses, Dunes is a Pete Dye track and could be more fun than Buffalo Run. Knolls is really fun but one of those ego-boosters if you keep it straight. You can get twilight rounds with a cart for ~$30. Not as far as Buff.

Colorado National - Word of warning, I played there about two months ago (before the epic drought kicked in) and the greens were absolutely beat to hell. Highly unimpressive. Really haven't been back since but it's been the driest year on record and people tell me not to write it off. ~$30 with a cart twilight.

I know you'll be in Boulder but the Denver City Courses are all $26 to walk and we have some real gems for munis. My favorite city courses are City Park (feels like you're playing downtown....seriously), and Wellshire (Donald Ross, baby!). City Park was one of the first courses built west of the Mississippi and it's widely known that #7 at Wellshire is Ben Hogan's favorite golf hole; not just at Wellshire...anywhere. Willis Case is also pretty damn fun.

There's plenty more where that came from (I play too much golf but I have to; we're planning on a kid soon and I'll be a stay-at-home dad) so if you made it this far and want more info or want to go for a round, PM me through here and we'll hook up.

Congrats on the graduation and the pending move.

[quote name='BirdingGolfer' timestamp='1344610495' post='5444066']
Plenty of cheap options if you're willing to walk. I'm just up US36 off Sheridan and I have at least six courses within ten minutes of me under $40.

In no particular order:

Hyland Hills - This is my home track. They have Gold (championship 18), Blue (regulation nine), South (decent little par-3), and North (junior par-3). You only hit off mats in winter. ($37/$21/$11/$7 respectively - it's waaaaay cheaper for residents. If you feel like driving 15 minutes up 36, I can easily get you the resident rate - $25/$14/$7/$4)

Heritage at Westmoor - Easily one of the most underrated golf courses in the metro area. EASILY. Hosted multiple Open qualifyings, Women's Opens, US Am qual, etc. $40 or $37 for residents.

Legacy Ridge - Another sweet track. Some people consider a few holes quite dumb because of the over abundance of blind shots. I like it. $40 or $37 resident.

I'll second everything else said about Flatirons, Coal Creek, and Indian Peaks. I've played CC and can say it was in great shape and they have a deal where you spend $109, get a free round, Twilight prices no matter when you play, and free greens fees from Dec-Feb. It's ending very soon though so you might wanna chop-chop on that one. IP has nice practice facilities but if you really care about that you need to make the 20 minute hike to Heritage.

Buffalo Run - This place is so freakin' fun it should be illegal to play there. Amazing championship course damn near in the middle of nowhere. Colorado links, baby! It's steeper during the day but, two and half hours before sundown, they drop the rate to a buck a hole. Yep, $9 to walk nine. I'd easily pay three times that. It's a beautiful place.

Riverdale Dunes and Knolls - Two championship courses, Dunes is a Pete Dye track and could be more fun than Buffalo Run. Knolls is really fun but one of those ego-boosters if you keep it straight. You can get twilight rounds with a cart for ~$30. Not as far as Buff.

Colorado National - Word of warning, I played there about two months ago (before the epic drought kicked in) and the greens were absolutely beat to hell. Highly unimpressive. Really haven't been back since but it's been the driest year on record and people tell me not to write it off. ~$30 with a cart twilight.

I know you'll be in Boulder but the Denver City Courses are all $26 to walk and we have some real gems for munis. My favorite city courses are City Park (feels like you're playing downtown....seriously), and Wellshire (Donald Ross, baby!). City Park was one of the first courses built west of the Mississippi and it's widely known that #7 at Wellshire is Ben Hogan's favorite golf hole; not just at Wellshire...anywhere. Willis Case is also pretty damn fun.

There's plenty more where that came from (I play too much golf but I have to; we're planning on a kid soon and I'll be a stay-at-home dad) so if you made it this far and want more info or want to go for a round, PM me through here and we'll hook up.

[/quote]

Wow. Thanks for the extensive breakdown. Great info, thanks a lot. Looks like Ill have a lot of golf to play

[quote name='masyankees' timestamp='1344624579' post='5445720']
[quote name='BirdingGolfer' timestamp='1344610495' post='5444066']

In no particular order:

[/quote]

Wow. Thanks for the extensive breakdown. Great info, thanks a lot. Looks like Ill have a lot of golf to play
[/quote]

Seriously. I've been in CO since 2008 and still learned a bunch from all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike (masyankees)

I just got your PM. We can organize a tee time here.

My suggestion, how about this Sunday at Coal Creek?

I haven't played at all in the last 3 weeks. I need to hit the range before I forget how to hit the ball. LOL

btw my name is Michael