Best golf shot you ever made

butch33611

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Par 5, about 420 yards and uphill all the way. I skyballed it off the tee, maybe went 100 yards.

This was the fourth or fifth time I'd done that in one day and I was pissed. I grabbed my three wood, ran up to the ball and swung it as ungodly hard as I could about 45* left of the green. Ball went low and left, then power faded within 10 feet of the green.

....Long story short, I made par.

Lucky, but joined some of the other serious golfers in my family. Went out to play the executive course with my brother who has played a golf a total of 2 times in his life. Step up to the first tee box, 128yd par 3, get out my 52* wedge, and proceed to hit a hole in one on the first shot of the day!

Best part was I nearly had a gallery. A 4some had gone out before us but were slow, and they were politely waiting on the 2nd tee box to let us go through so they were all watching. A few of them shook my hand as we played through.

Not that it was such a GREAT shot but...

Back in 1982, the last time I played with my dad who just joined me for the ride around the course....hit my first shot with a new sand iron...a sand shot from 30yds out to 3 feet and made the putt for a bird...I still have that wedge...

And then I was once playng with a kid who had just muffed a greenside chip on the other side of the green while I was digging in a trap for my blast...
I told him to come over and just said that you can't play scared...out of the trap you have to slap the sand with confidence I said, and then proceded to hole out the shot...
Yes!

Great shots are good shots made under pressure....like the time the foresome was 3 on the island green and me in the trap 1st hitting from 60'...and blasted to 3'
...then had to watch 2 birds and a par made...
I made my 3 footer for a group 2 under par on a very difficult hole...

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

The one I remember the clearest was a shot I played from a fairway bunker. I need to par 16,17,18 for a 79. I really wanted to break 80 at this course. 16 is a dog leg right par 5 with water right. I hit my drive too close to the edge an rolled in at the far edge of the pond. I dropped and thought hit it close to the green. I was about 220 out. I hit a really bad worm burner into a fairway bunker 70 yards short of the green. DAMN looks like 81 or 82. The green is a two tiered long green. Pin at the bottom. I hit my sand wedge 40-50 ft past the pin. It start to back spin slowly. Picks up pace on the ridge and start breaking to the hole. BIRDIE. Par par 78.

I've been struggling to break 90 all year, mostly because of choking on the last few holes every round. So yesterday I stepped up to hole 16- I knew I was on a good pace but had intentionally avoided tallying up my score.

520 yard par 5, uphill for 250 yards and then levels out, then there is a pond that stretches roughly from the 200 yard marker up to the 100 yard marker. Headwind, and it's just starting to rain. I hit a weak drive that didn't quite clear the top of the hill. I put my second shot in the water, and drop with about 210 to the pin. Right at that moment the headwind picks way up and the rain really starts coming down. I think to myself, "great, here we go again" as I pull out my 3W. Take a deep breath, swing easy, and hit a slight fade that sticks 2 feet from the hole for a tap-in par.

Really upped my confidence to finish strong and break my best score.

Many, many moons ago, when I had just started to play seriously, on an early morning round with a buddy. 390 yds par 4, dogleg to the right, I decided to try hitting a shaped shot on purpose. Talking to myself out loud, feet placement, alignment, the whole bit. My friend is laughing, telling me that this is so funny that he'll let me hit another after I send this one into the woods. I hit the ball, it soars graciously, curves around the top of the trees, and plops down in the middle of the fairway, a little wedge in.
May not be much to anyone else, but it made me feel like a million bucks, and put me on the slippery slope of golf nuthood, peeing soap.

I have one, we have all seen Phil TPC sawgrass 6 iron from a fairway bunker through a windshield sized gap ?
Well i was in a tournament, slice a driver about 50 yards right. lol . I had 160 in, 2 inch rough with the ball not sitting up, nor sitting down. I needed to carry it about 150 over a bunker. I hit a punch draw 4 iron, through a gap about the size of 1.5 windshields. perfect, draws about 15 yards, ends up about 7 feet away. Of course the putt was about 3 feet outside right, and i missed the birdie.

I have a hole in one (blind 155 yard shot with 8 iron) but got to call attention to a shot from this past Sunday. I was playing with a friend and a couple of his buddies. We were playing #5 383 into the wind I hit a bunt driver middle of fairway 135 out. I hit a smooth 3/4 9 iron. Ball climbs about 2x as high as normal flying straight at pin. Stops traveling forward and starts to fall straight down..... Hit the very top of flag stick on top of nut holding flag on stick! If it had been 1" either side easy birdie maybe eagle. Instead bounces about 50' over next to hazard. I started laughing about how great distance control was and ended up with bogey.. Guys in group in disbelief.

It was on a 575 yd par 5, drove and had about 255 to the pin. Pulled out my trusty VR Pro 4w and caught it clean, it bounced on the green and rolled to about 8"... Nice little Eagle!!!

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

Sadly, I'm still in pursuit of an eagle, so I don't have any good hole out stories from the fairway. I've holed out around the green, hit really nice approach shots, miracle pars, etc, but nothing extraordinary.

In recent memory, a couple shots come to mind.

There's something great about visualizing an impossible short game shot and pulling it off. I was playing the 8th at TPC River Highlands. I hit a horrible tee shot about 30 yards right of the green. My only play was to land a lob shot just over the bunker, and have it trickle down to the hole. The green runs down from the bunker past the flag to the water. My lie wasn't too great, but I committed to the swing, and pulled it off, hitting it to about two feet. It was just a par, but there are moments on the course, including this one, where as bad as it's going, and as mediocre as I am, I knew that anyone, including the best players in the world would be happy with that shot. It's a good feeling. Certainly not a 250 yard hole out for albatross, but memorable to me nonetheless.

Other shots that always seem to stick out in my mind are those where you handle some kind of pressure. Again, this is all relative. I play competitively in a traveling men's club, no other cash games or tournaments, so my pressure situations are few and far between. Besides the "gallery" on an opening tee shot or the occasional play through a group pressure, I don't see much. I was playing in a scramble a couple weeks ago. We were hitting our short approach, about 60 yards to the 6th green, which is adjacent to the 2nd tee box. The group on the 2nd tee included four guys from the golf shop I frequent, including the club maker, all of whom have not seen me play. I was hoping they would tee off and leave, but alas, we were alternating shots between the groups out of courtesy. It was only a stupid little 60 yard shot, but I felt like my whole game in their eyes would be defined by this shot. I hit a little wedge up to about 4 feet, and heard "nice shot" from the 2nd tee. I tipped my metaphorical cap, as I don't wear one, but felt the need, and moved along. In the 40 or so times I've played this year, that moment is one of only a couple where I felt legitimate pressure, and it felt very good to execute.

I have a handful of memorable ones. In no particular order:

1. Holed out from 155 for eagle on the first hole of a tournament. Nothing all that special or challenging about the shot--just a plain old 8 iron from the fairway, but it was pretty cool.

2. 5 iron from 215ish to about a foot for a kick-in eagle, my first on a par 5, and part of a round in which I was 4 under after 6 holes and ended up shooting a 34 for my best nine ever.

3. Was playing at a course in NC on spring break, and I duffed my drive (no idea how...) about 50 yards onto the ladies tee. With a perfect lie on the tee and like 240 to the pin, I pull 16* hybrid and hit what I still think is the purest shot of my life, a towering draw that just barely flies the greenside bunker, lands soft, and rolls to about 15 feet. While the group ahead of us was still putting... And to top it off, I made the birdie.

4. When I was a kid, we had a huge rhododendron bush in our yard, and I would always drop balls near it and see how close I could get and still be able to flop it over. I did this all summer for years. One day, I was out playing a round and went for the green on a par 5, only to end up behind the green with a tall pine tree between me and the pin. Something in my mind clicked and I thought "oh wow. you've got this shot," and wouldn't you know I flop it way up over the tree to 5 feet and make the birdie. I'd literally been practicing that exact shot for years and finally got to use it on the course...

I was playing golf with a guy who has a problem holding his tongue. He isn't malicious, just likes to hear himself talk, I think. What's worse, he thinks he is a much better golfer than he really is.

I put my second shot right of a green-side bunker with a deep, deep lip. That day, the pin was cut into a narrow lip of the green jutting between the bunker and a steep drop-off. This left very little space to land a high lob. My playing partner proceeded to tell me that he had this shot once. He bladed his shot and buried the mishit into the face of the bunker. He claimed it took him three shots to get out of the trap and two putts to finish the hole - all this just before I hit my shot. With this wonderful swing thought in my head, I lofted a lovely shot over the bunker with my 58* and hit the pin. The ball landed about 18"s from the pin. Maybe not the very best shot I ever hit but given the circumstances, it was probably my most memorable one. There is something wonderful about sticking one on the green and in a blow-hards face.

A long time ago in my high school conference championships, my coach decided to play me in the final group even though I was a Sophomore, which irked our only senior, Paul. I came to the last hole needing a par for 75 to beat Paul by 1. Downhill par 3, 187 with pin tucked right next to a steep bunker. There's some natural stadium seating surrounding the green with everyone watching the final group come in.

I over-cut a 4-iron (funny how much farther the ball goes now though Im older, slower and fatter) into the bunker short siding myself. As I'm walking up I hear Paul telling my other teammates "Well that's definitely a bogey, if not worse"

I lay my sand wedge wide open, dig in, take a nice full swing and nip the sand perfectly. I know it's close as soon as I hit it The ball comes out high and spinning. It lands a few inches to the left of the hole, takes one hop and the spins back towards the hole almost dropping in. I hear a bunch of "Wow"s and calmly go up and tap-in for par.

I've hit better, more difficult golf shots; but under the circumstances that was probably my best. Suck it Paul!

8th hole of the dunes loop at Princes, a 207 yard par 3.

Middle of winter, freezing cold, raining, hitting straight in to a 20mph wind. There is a bunker front left, and the pin was directly behind it, maybe 5 yards on.

My playing partners and I were discussing the best way to play the hole, and the general consensus was that it would be pretty much impossible to hit it close. I said that instead of trying to hit the ball low in to the green, I was going to hit it as high as possible, making the wind stall it and hopefully make it land soft. With this I pulled out my 3 iron and hit it as hard as I could. It started out just left of the green on a high trajectory with a slight draw, and hung up in the air for ages, then all of a sudden it dropped down, about 3 feet from the pin and stopped dead. Rattled the putt in for birdie too.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Hi all. New to the forum so i thought that this is a good a place as any to say hello. I've been playing the game for around 25 years now off and on. Got down to a 3 handicap and went through the professional programme when i was younger but decided it wasn't for me and left golf alone for quite a few years. I've only recently come back to the game in the last year and i'm really enjoying it again. I'm still using my irons from 15 years ago! (new set to come this winter).
So, here are a couple of crackers that stick in the memory from this year;

[u][b]1. Hole 6, Hindhead Golf Club, Surrey.[/b][/u]

Par 3, 139 yards off the yellow tees. Perfect golf weather – not a breath of wind and the sun shining. The hole plays massively downhill so it’s always a lot less club than you think. Decided to control a 3/4 9 iron with a gentle fade. Struck it beautifully. The ball made a gentle fade toward the pin, pitched about 10 ft behind the hole and rolled back off of the slope to within 3 feet.

[u][b]2. Hole 7, Chigwell Golf Club, Essex (my home course).[/b][/u]

Par 4, 363 from the back tees. Blocked my tee shot out right into the trees which left me with somewhat of a tricky 130yd shot to a green protected by a large tree to the left. Because I was in the trees I had an overhanging tree directly in front of me to deal with, plus a restricted swing. Very bare lie, so I choked down on a 4 iron, opening the face playing the ball off of my back foot keeping my hands forward and cutting across the ball. I was trying to hit a low punch with a fade. I did. Perfectly to about 3 feet from the flag. I love shot making.

• 3 weeks later...

Had two great shots in a row on one hole today AND my first eagle!

Par-5, almost 90 degree dogleg left, about 510 to the pin. Maybe 330 and a little downhill to the end of the first section of fairway. I hit my drive good, a little right as usual but about 280 and on the fairway - thanks to the downhill and some hard ground. Second shot is where it got fun....I'm well over 200 yards from the pin with a big stand of trees directly between me and the green. I take my 3-iron and forgo the usual pre-shot routine, just gripped it and ripped it. Cleared the trees, picked up a litlte draw at the end and landed on the fringe, far side from the green and about 50 feet from the cup. Hit a long lag putt just trying to get near the hole and I guess I just caught the right line and it plops in the right side of the cup like I was playing XBox and planned it that way.

Crappy round overall, even with that I still didn't break 90, but it was the 17th hole so I left feeling good about myself.