Ryder Cup: Olazabal made the right decisions

zakkozuchowski

Ryder Cup: Olazabal made the right decisions

By Greg Moore

GolfWRX Staff

Sorry for you Padraig Harrington fans who wanted to see the three-time major champion make the European team for the Ryder Cup, but Jose Maria Olazabal made the right decisions for his team.

Let’s dig a bit deeper into why Ian Poulter and Nicolas Colsaerts were the best (and I mean logical) selections.

Colsaerts was No. 9 in European Ryder Cup points and No. 12 in World Ryder Cup points. Poulter was No. 17 in Euro Ryder Cup points and No. 11 in World Ryder Cup points. Harrington stood No. 27 and No. 19 respectively on those points lists, and there were a lot of players ahead of him that and were playing a lot better who were also left off the team.

Ian Poulter

Ian-Poulter-001-300x180.jpg

This will be Poulter’s fourth Ryder Cup. He was on the winning teams in 2004 and 2010 and on the losing side in 2008. His record in eleven matches is eight wins and three losses. IJP is also the winner of both of 2010 WGC – Accenture Match Play and 2011 Volvo World Match Play. In the qualifying period for Ryder Cup points, Poulter has had nine top 10s including victory in the 2011 JBWere Masters.

Who can forget just how fired up Poulter gets, not just in match play but for the Ryder Cup, his mates on the Euro team and his country. His singles record is 3-0-0 with wins over Chris Riley 3 & 2, Steve Stricker 3 & 2 and Matt Kuchar 5 & 4.

Here's a link to IJP’s Euro Tour page http://www.europeant...2133/index.html

Colsaerts_2320669b-300x187.jpg

Nicolas Colsaerts

He's the only rookie on the European team. He is No. 9 in the point standings. His match play record is stellar as he finished runner up in 2011 at the Volvo World Match Play and he won the Volvo World Match Play Championship in May, defeating Graeme McDowell in the finals in Spain.

Link to Colsaerts Euro Tour page http://www.europeant...3456/index.html

This will be the first time that the European team has been made of its 12 top players in the Official World Ranking with every player inside the top 35 in the Official Golf World Rankings.

As for Harrington, he's 48th in the OWGR. So you can argue that maybe one of the others players left off like Alvaro Quiros, Marcel Siem or David Lynn should have made the team but the numbers just didn’t add up for Harrington this year.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrington had no business being in the frame for a captain's pick just like he should have had no business getting a pick in 2010. He has a losing record in the Ryder Cup (despite having had some great partners) and when he was needed to lead the team in 2008, having won back to back majors, he contributed a grand total of half a point. To make matter worse he hasn't won a tournament of any significance since, er 2008!

Since I'm an American, I don't care as much who the Euro's pick to round out the squad. I can't fault Ollie for his picks but asking Harrington to join the team in some capacity - like Sergio did a few years ago - would have been a decent thing to do. I understand Paddy & Jose don't get on well together but he's been part of a lot of Ryder Cup success and will, in all likelihood, be on the team again.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1346159363' post='5548189']
Since I'm an American, I don't care as much who the Euro's pick to round out the squad. I can't fault Ollie for his picks but asking Harrington to join the team in some capacity - like Sergio did a few years ago - would have been a decent thing to do. I understand Paddy & Jose don't get on well together but he's been part of a lot of Ryder Cup success and will, in all likelihood, be on the team again.
[/quote]

Asking Sergio to be a vice-captain makes sense. He's passionate and can get people fired up. Unless you want someone to drive around in a cart looking like a deer caught in the headlights....Paddy ain't gonna help much.

[quote name='eric_b' timestamp='1346159441' post='5548197']
[/quote]

Asking Sergio to be a vice-captain makes sense. He's passionate and can get people fired up. Unless you want someone to drive around in a cart looking like a deer caught in the headlights....Paddy ain't gonna help much.
[/quote]

May be a fair point. But there are a lot of Irish guys on the team....he could ride around and talk about Irish things - whatever that might be.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1346160830' post='5548299']
[/quote]

[/quote]

May be a fair point. But there are a lot of Irish guys on the team....he could ride around and talk about Irish things - whatever that might be.
[/quote]

He's Irish, McDowell and McIlroy are Northern Irish....that's like brining a Canadian to talk to Americans. Same thing right?

I agree. He made great pics. I hope DL3 can make good picks as well to counter the strength of the team. It's going to come down to the simple things: Good shotmakers and who can putt the lights out of the ball.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='eric_b' timestamp='1346162238' post='5548431']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1346160830' post='5548299']

[/quote]

[/quote]

He's Irish, McDowell and McIlroy are Northern Irish....that's like brining a Canadian to talk to Americans. Same thing right?
[/quote]

I have no idea. Irish is Irish to me....but I suppose that could get you shot over in the old country. Hey, if Sergio could do....Paddy would be just fine. How hard is it to ride around in a golf cart with a walkie-talkie thing in your ear and say, "we need this point."???

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='eric_b' timestamp='1346162238' post='5548431']He's Irish, McDowell and McIlroy are Northern Irish....that's like brining a Canadian to talk to Americans. Same thing right?
[/quote]

Well since Rory says that he wil not represent NIR, but rather IRL, in the Olympics, I think it's clear that who they might identify with is a bit more complicated than a (recently made) border.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='irlgolf56' timestamp='1346163998' post='5548613']
Ugh not this again, Canada and America is not a comparable situation to Ireland and Northern Ireland. Let's just leave it at that.
[/quote]

BINGO!!!

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1346164132' post='5548629']
[quote name='irlgolf56' timestamp='1346163998' post='5548613']
Ugh not this again, Canada and America is not a comparable situation to Ireland and Northern Ireland. Let's just leave it at that.
[/quote]

BINGO!!!
[/quote]
True dat.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Since I'm an American, I don't care as much who the Euro's pick to round out the squad. I can't fault Ollie for his picks [b]but asking Harrington to join the team in some capacity - like Sergio did a few years ago - would have been a decent thing to do.[/b] I understand Paddy & Jose don't get on well together but he's been part of a lot of Ryder Cup success and will, in all likelihood, be on the team again.
[/quote]

that would cause to much friction in the camp and harrington has seen his time time to move on,and yes he picked the right 2 players,poulter is like woods even if playing crap i would have them in my side,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

As an Irish golf fan I must admit that I think Ollie made the right choices. Harrington's record in majors this year is surprisingly strong, but he doesn't seem to be able to achieve any consistency, especially with his putter. In my view Poulter, who I really can't stand, had to be picked because the personality traits I dislike make him an outstanding matchplay competitor, and the Ryder Cup seems to be his natural home. I'm delighted for Colsaert, and I think its mportant for European golf that new guys come to the fore and get picked for progress they have made. Its a formidable Euro side, with Kaymer the only guy I'd be worried about.

On Harrington as a vice captain, I think Ireland is already over-represented with Darren Clarke and Paul McGinley as two of the four vice-captains. Given Harrington's strained relationship with Olazabal I think he had a better chance of being picked to play than he had of joining the management set up.

ON the Northern Ireland issue, golf in Ireland is organised on an all-island basis under the auspices of the Golfing Union of Ireland, and at amateur level there is no distinction between golfers from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, but since the peace process made progress up north we have seen a new distinctive Northern Irish identity being forged, and being embraced by large sections of both communities. Its a very healthy and positive thing and has definitely been helped greatly by the success of NI golfers, and might actually be the thing that helps put past problems to bed in the longer term. Here's hoping.