2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Playing with a bad back

gtaj

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have constant back pain. I have 3 herniated disks in my lower back and the Dr's want to hold off on surgery as long as possible. I do a lot of stretching exercises before i head to the course and I try not to take pain medication unless the pain is so unbearable. But if the pain is that unbearable I shouldn't be golfing that day. I've found that aspirin work the best for me.

I do - here's my story...............

I had severe back spasms about two years ago that threatened to force me to giveup golf. Here's what I did, and I'm PAIN FREE now:

* Chiropractor. Getting the spine adjusted, and everything aligned is crucial. I prefer to work with a chiro that has a very good holistic approach, one that focuses on total wellness, not just spine manipulation.

* Acupuncturist. Mine has worked miracles for both me and my mother, and really helps blood flow and general health. Many of my muscle spasms, and tightness are often relieved with acupuncture , which stimulates more blood flow.

* Find a GOOD trainer/physical therapist/chiropractor/Massage Therapist/etc, that can help you with TORSO strength. Do a LOT of weight lifting, and especially any rotational, abdominal, and lower back/torso strengthening exercises.

* Yoga/Pilates, which helps your flexibility and strength. Stretch as much as possible. Get one of those funny rubber Exercise balls, and USE it.

* SLOW down your swing, and focus on proper weight shift, good tempo, lagging the clubhead, and a SMOOTH swing, with a nice weight transition. Your length will probably increase, even though your swing looks smoother.

Trust me on this one - do all these things, and you'll be golfing better without Pain. I suffered for almost 8 months with horrible back pain, and things are MUCH better now.

UPDATE: Ironically, I"m recovering from a Rib that popped out of socket/joint. I have no idea how I did it, but I popped a rib out, and had to get it stuck back in by the Chiropractor. My arm/shoulder/elbow has been sore for 2 weeks now, but I think I'm finally able to play this weekend, hopefully.

I found my swing and distance deteriorated due to my bad back, my lower body/hips were rotating in sync with my shoulders to protect the small of my back. Ended up with virtually no coil, all hands and arms. Styruggled to finish 18 holes, ball distance and control would fail on the back nine.

I'm on a rehabillitation back building program now, through the winter I'll be trying rebuild my swing.

I had severe back spasms about two years ago that threatened to force me to giveup golf. Here's what I did, and I'm PAIN FREE now:

* Chiropractor. Getting the spine adjusted, and everything aligned is crucial.  I prefer to work with a chiro that has a very good holistic approach, one that focuses on total wellness, not just spine manipulation.

* Acupuncturist. Mine has worked miracles for both me and my mother, and really helps blood flow and general health.  Many of my muscle spasms, and tightness are often relieved with acupuncture , which stimulates more blood flow.

* Find a GOOD trainer/physical therapist/chiropractor/Massage Therapist/etc, that can help you with TORSO strength. Do a LOT of weight lifting, and especially any rotational, abdominal, and lower back/torso strengthening exercises.

* Yoga/Pilates, which helps your flexibility and strength.  Stretch as much as possible.  Get one of those funny rubber Exercise balls, and USE it.

* SLOW down your swing, and focus on proper weight shift, good tempo, lagging the clubhead, and a SMOOTH swing, with a nice weight transition. Your length will probably increase, even though your swing looks smoother.

Trust me on this one - do all these things, and you'll be golfing better without Pain. I suffered for almost 8 months with horrible back pain, and things are MUCH better now.

UPDATE:  Ironically, I"m recovering from a Rib that popped out of socket/joint.  I have no idea how I did it, but I popped a rib out, and had to get it stuck back in by the Chiropractor.  My arm/shoulder/elbow has been sore for 2 weeks now, but I think I'm finally able to play this weekend, hopefully.

55079[/snapback]

Wow that all sounds a bit overwhelming. I've never been to a chiro before, even though I've been struggling with my back for nearly 20 years. My father-in-law was an ortho surgeon and had nothing good to say about them. Did you have disc problems or muscular? Its interesting how your body compensates - I played this weekend and was have spasms and played very poorly. The next day my left pectoral muscle was very sore - my arms were trying to make up the swing speed because i couldnt rotate.

I have constant back pain.  I have 3 herniated disks in my lower back and the Dr's want to hold off on surgery as long as possible.  I do a lot of stretching exercises before i head to the course and I try not to take pain medication unless the pain is so unbearable.  But if the pain is that unbearable I shouldn't be golfing that day.  I've found that aspirin work the best for me.

55078[/snapback]

Why no pain medication? With 3 bad disks how do you do it?

* Chiropractor. Getting the spine adjusted, and everything aligned is crucial.  I prefer to work with a chiro that has a very good holistic approach, one that focuses on total wellness, not just spine manipulation.

* Acupuncturist. Mine has worked miracles for both me and my mother, and really helps blood flow and general health.  Many of my muscle spasms, and tightness are often relieved with acupuncture , which stimulates more blood flow.

* Yoga/Pilates, which helps your flexibility and strength.  Stretch as much as possible.  Get one of those funny rubber Exercise balls, and USE it.

UPDATE:  Ironically, I"m recovering from a Rib that popped out of socket/joint.  I have no idea how I did it, but I popped a rib out, and had to get it stuck back in by the Chiropractor.  My arm/shoulder/elbow has been sore for 2 weeks now, but I think I'm finally able to play this weekend, hopefully.

55079[/snapback]

Even if you are pain free, just skip the chiro and the needles and follow the rest, particularly if you work in an office. Seeing a trainer three times a week has helped my golf in many ways; I'm excited that I'll have the whole winter to get stronger and more flexible. Should have started this at least 10 or 15 years ago (I'm 50 now).

Jeff

Wow that all sounds a bit overwhelming.  I've never been to a chiro before, even though I've been struggling with my back for nearly 20 years.  My father-in-law was an ortho surgeon and had nothing good to say about them.  Did you have disc problems or muscular?  Its interesting how your body compensates - I played this weekend and was have spasms and played very poorly.  The next day my left pectoral muscle was very sore - my arms were trying to make up the swing speed because i couldnt rotate.

55139[/snapback]

gtaj, your father in law is right about being weiry of chiropracters, in most cases that I have seen they do more harm than good. Numerous family members of mine are in the healthcare profession and I myself am a Med Student highly intersted in Ortho, so I do know some stuff about back pain.

Here are some tips that you should concider (not making any guarantees but these are things I have noticed from experience or from literature):

1) Taking medication before play or strenuous excersice helps a lot by allowing you to get through the activity, HOWEVER, the problem here is that you might be injuring yourself more by taking the medication and be disensitized to the damage your causing. So thats a major negative affect of medicating up before going out, just be aware of this.

2) Back braces are great, especially if you plan on lifting things or doing activities, but the main problem here is that people become 'addicted' to them. Meaning that they wear it all the time and rely on them way too much. The problem here is that excessive back brace use results in weakening of the back muscles. So, the one time you don't have your brace on and something happens involving a sudden back movement or blow, your muscles have atrophied and do not have the ability to prevent any spinal shifts which can worsen your bad back. Bottom line here is to use them, but sparingly, but then what can you do? Go to #3.

3) The best way by far, if surgery is not the only option, to treat a bad back is to strengthen your back muscles AND (most people neglect this) to strengthen your abdominal mucles. Strengthening your back muscles makes it much harder for you to injure yourself during activities such as golf. That is because most of your back muscles are connected to your spine, so strengthing these muscles will help prevent vertebral shifts. You can get simple back excersises that you can do at home online, but the best would be to get them from an ortho doc who can specificially tailor the excersises to your specific condition. Abdominal muscles are important here too because they aid you in upright motion. The stronger your abs the less pressure being placed on your back. (losing weight also helps out a lot) :clapping:

4) And finally always remember, to stretch before any workout or activity

:drinks:

Like I said I'm only a medical student now so take what you will from this. Hope it helped and hope your back feels better.

(p.s. sorry about the typos, I did this quickly (have a monster exam tomorrow) and this is a breif summary, if you have any questions feel free to pm me)

.......................Wow that all sounds a bit overwhelming.  I've never been to a chiro before, even though I've been struggling with my back for nearly 20 years.  My father-in-law was an ortho surgeon and had nothing good to say about them.  Did you have disc problems or muscular?  Its interesting how your body compensates - I played this weekend and was have spasms and played very poorly.  The next day my left pectoral muscle was very sore - my arms were trying to make up the swing speed because i couldnt rotate.

55139[/snapback]

Well.............some people do not believe in chiros at all. I DO. It all started when I had some disjointed discs in my neck, that were CLEARLY out of place on X-rays. I had pretty bad upper back/neck pain, and couldn't turn my head to the Left. After 6-8 chiropractic visits, the pain was GONE. This made me a believer.

I think the secret is finding a Chiro that is a beleiver in a more well-rounded approach, that works with a physical trainer/therapist, for a balanced approach to muscular and skeletal health. All I can tell you is .........I've had various accidents, issues, and weird problems over the years, and getting a few Chiro/therapy appointments ALWAYS clears me up. Not everyone is a believer in them, but I am.

finding the right chiro for you is key...had back problems in my early 20's, due to hyper curvature of the base of my spine, ie too much curve...two years of chiro work combined w/a stretching program more comprehensive than touching my toes helped w/the damage that was done...now i just have to make sure i'm stretched and warm before my rounds to prevent further damage...

RBallz Tour 10.5
3w G20, 5w rktballz2
19* Xhot
4-PW I20 KBS Tour S
Sabertooth w/Superstroke
52* 588RTX CB, 58* Vokey

• 13 years later...

I am 78, retired and play golf twice a week plus once a week a day of offshore fishing. I have dealt with back pain for 25+ years. Problems include Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy which i was told would put me in a wheel chair if i did not have surgery. I did not have surgery and it has improved on its own to where i still know its there but can deal with it. L-4-L-5 Anterior spondylolisthesis, L-3-L-4 central canal stenosis, Hemangioma of L-5. desiccation at L-2-L-3, T12-L1 disc bluge, L-1-L-2 disc bulgeL-3-L-4 bilateral facet arthritic, ligamentum flavum hypertrophy,canal stenosis, L-4-L-5 Bilateral Facet arthritic changes, left side greater than right, anterior spondylolisthesis, disc bulge, disc desiccation, concentric left forminal annular fissure, fluid in both facets, L-5-S1 disc bulge, disc space narrowing at C-5-C-6, Multilever scattered mild disc space narrowing throughout the thoracic and lumbar, spine worse at L-5-S1, Osteophytes L-3-L-4 and L5-S1, 5MM anterolisthesis of L-4 on L-5. I also have lots of neck problems and will be getting a current MRI update this Thursday. So, obviously I deal with lots of back and neck pain and do have some days that are much better than others. I have seen lots of back and spine surgeons over the years and all of them suggest what they do best, surgery. A few years ago I saw the chairman of the department for neck and spine surgery at a very large teaching hospital. His advice was "You have lots of problems and deal with lots of pain but do not have surgery unless your problems become extreme. I have had physical therapy that only made it worse. Shots in the lower spine never worked. Chiropractors were no help. Here is what does help. I am very muscular and strong and have a Nautilus multi station gym in my house. I work out on a regular basis. I wear a back brace that has changed my life. In addition it is not large and will not interfere with your golf game.

It is made by Cybertech and is the Spine Sport Model. Cost is about $60 and i have no financial interest in this company. Besides the back brace i will usually take 2 naproxen a few hours before playing.

Something else that works well for me are Thermacare heat pads that go around your waist or even neck. When needed and if you are flared up try wearing one 24 hours a day for at least 3 days and you should get some relief. You can even wear one under your back brace. Last item i will mention is bed rest will not make you better so stay active even when it hurts. In additition you must get a good nights sleep even if it means taking something to help you sleep if needed. I do hope that some of this information will be of help to you and keep in mind that Tiger had to have multiple surgeries before they ever got it right.

Welcome to the board, nice to have a fellow Sr here with a bad back. I had a skiing injury 30+ yrs ago. I generally take advil and try some light stretching prior to playing. Chiro's do nothing for me. Years ago, I had an Osteopath doing manipulation and massage, that was the best help in all of my time with a bad back.

Find someone who really understands movement analysis. Injuries that show up on imaging are typically not the true source of the pain but rather the result of a dysfunction somewhere else in the body. Chasing the pain with medication will only mask issue temporarily, long term relief comes with finding the source and addressing it. I’m a PT so I have some biases but I would recommend finding someone SFMA certified to diagnose and address likely movement deficiencies.