Where would you retire to golf?

I lived in the Phoenix area for 4 years and in Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area for 1 year. I would say if it was just golf I would choose Phoenix because there is better variety of golf courses (not just desert), where Florida had so many courses that felt the same. The winter weather was better in Florida though. I think I probably only had to wear long pants about 5 or 6 times the year I was in Florida, but in Phoenix you can have really cold nights/mornings from late December-mid February. I worked in the golf business in both places and we had many frost delays in Phoenix during the winter but I don't recall one down in South Florida. The summer was extremely hot in both places, but in Florida there were a ton of storms. I enjoyed both places but I hope to move back out to Phoenix someday again.

Why no mention of San Diego here? Don't have to worry about melting 4-5 months out of the year like Florida or Texas. Yes, real estate a bit higher, but I'm sure there are deals to be had in SD just like anywhere else. And you have the beach, great golf courses (think Torrey Pines) and perfect weather 24/7.

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1350346247' post='5798931']
[quote name='ukalum' timestamp='1350345537' post='5798877']
All great points and ideas. I completely agree that you need to find an area that has more to it than just golf.

Florida and AZ seem to be the easy retirement choices, but the Georgia and Carolina's intrigue me as a much better golf area year round. I like the idea of having seasons, as long as the winter season is short, and still manageable to golf during it.

I've played a lot of courses in the Phoenix and Naples area and the golf is good. But unless you are playing the very top courses the second tier aren't arent nearly as interesting in golf in the non tropical/desert areas.
[/quote]
check this [url="http://www.myavidgolfer.com/back_issues/?view=department&department_id=1&issue_id=228"]link[/url] out. There are a lot of great value priced options for private golf. Except for AZ country club, you are talking about some premier private golf clubs.

Bottom line, seeing that you are from wisconsin, you are used to the sticky humid summers east of the rockies. Me, not so much.
[/quote]
I've never heard of Arizona CC.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1350451391' post='5805167']
[quote name='TML' timestamp='1350346247' post='5798931']
[quote name='ukalum' timestamp='1350345537' post='5798877']
All great points and ideas. I completely agree that you need to find an area that has more to it than just golf.

Florida and AZ seem to be the easy retirement choices, but the Georgia and Carolina's intrigue me as a much better golf area year round. I like the idea of having seasons, as long as the winter season is short, and still manageable to golf during it.

I've played a lot of courses in the Phoenix and Naples area and the golf is good. But unless you are playing the very top courses the second tier aren't arent nearly as interesting in golf in the non tropical/desert areas.
[/quote]
check this [url="http://www.myavidgolfer.com/back_issues/?view=department&department_id=1&issue_id=228"]link[/url] out. There are a lot of great value priced options for private golf. Except for AZ country club, you are talking about some premier private golf clubs.

Bottom line, seeing that you are from wisconsin, you are used to the sticky humid summers east of the rockies. Me, not so much.
[/quote]
I've never heard of Arizona CC.
[/quote]
seriously? [url="http://www.azcountryclub.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp"]az cc[/url]

fine country club....golf ...well

I'm from the southern part of the Nawth East. Born, bred and raised heah. However, we've been almost everywhere in this country (and others) due to work (and sometimes play).

The wife and I have recently started talking retirement (and we still have 10-15 years... or more). Something near HHI, but off island would be ideal for us. Bluffton or Beaufort area. I play golf. She plays with horses. That, and the land/living is cheaper than on island (less gets you more), and you don't/wouldn't have a neighbors house 20' away from yours.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Winter in Palm Beach and play Seminole, Everglades Club.

Summer in the Hamptons and play the National, Shinnecock, Sebonack, Maidetone, Friar's Head.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

We're "considering" Ponte Vedre, as we have been vacationing there for the last 8 years. It's not that crowded and like the feel of the place. Have lots of buddies who have looked into SC and they rave about it. Also have many friends who have bought second homes in the Naples area.

Titleist 917 D2 w/ Fuji 9.5 Driver
Titleist 917 3Wood 15 degree w/ Diamano
Titleist 816 19 degree Hybrid w/ Aldilla Rogue
TaylorMade P750 Tour Proto 3-8 KBS C Taper Lite 110
TaylorMade P730 9-p2 KBS C TAPER Lite
Vokey SM6 56
Vokey SM6 62
Edel Custom fitted Putter

[quote name='Sir Larry Wildman' timestamp='1350573358' post='5811539']

Summer in the Hamptons and play the National, Shinnecock, Sebonack, Maidetone, Friar's Head.
[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth! We spend a bit of time in Palm Beach during winter months due to my wife and daughter being into the equestrian thing and then hoping to do the Hamptons in the summer time. Only question is rent vs buy and the Hampton is a killer in terms of seasonal rentals. I had thought house prices went down somewhat but not so mcu in the Hamptons...instead of a house costing $5M 5 years ago, it's now down to $4.95M:). The other issue w the Hamptons is where to play golf if you don't feel quite up to plunking down $500-700K for Bridge or National. Montauk Downs works but a bit of a haul and a loooong day.

Would also consider strongly Maimi Beach vs Palm Beach...more energy and younger crowds. Although last time I hung out at the beach, I felt like a dirty old man checking out every new young thing that was there!

Great thread....I'm in my early forties & started my research already. Sorry to say, but golf year round is a must for me...and skiing with 1/2 days drive. Lived in Texas all my life, so it will be time for something different. After about 10 years of golf travel investigations...here is what I've come up with, and ranked in order.

1. San Diego....always been my #1 choice, but realistically (financially) that is a long shot.
2. Two homes....north Phoenix & Flagstaff. You can totally change your climate with a 2-hour drive.
3. St George, Utah....outstanding golf, winters not too cold, summers not that hot...remember, I'm from Texas. I can do dry heat in the high desert. 1/2 day to Park City for skiing.
4. Two homes....Alabama/Wisconsin. Two really good golf states..but a pretty good drive in between. Cost of living in Alabama is outstanding.
5. Two homes....New Mexico/Colorado. Still working on this one...Las Cruces is good for winter...but golf is limited. Would appreciate some input on this one...especially you ABQ WRX'ers.

As you can tell...I am leaning heavily towards the southwest US. I might be in the minorty...but I think Texas has only average golf/average weather, when compared to other regions, so not really looking to retire here. Right now, I feel eastern US has too much heat & humidity, and no drivable skiing options, so not really looking there either.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

[quote name='ihatecats18' timestamp='1350574294' post='5811613']
Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail around Mobile Alabama, Gulfport Mississippi area.
Probably could find a small little house for a decent price.
[/quote]

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to live in Gulfport MS. I spent a bit of time visiting family in that city and it's a spithole.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='highscoreinky' timestamp='1350577589' post='5811911']
For me it would be Hilton Head Island. Wife is in agreement so that's the plan for us.
[/quote]

Not too shabby a pick there.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1350579560' post='5812101']
[quote name='ihatecats18' timestamp='1350574294' post='5811613']
Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail around Mobile Alabama, Gulfport Mississippi area.
Probably could find a small little house for a decent price.
[/quote]

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to live in Gulfport MS. I spent a bit of time visiting family in that city and it's a spithole.
[/quote]

Which is why I would go and become a King. They obviously don't have high taxes as shown in their school systems.

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

For me it would be Hilton Head Island. Wife is in agreement so that's the plan for us.
[/quote]

What is your time frame? There are some SCREAMING deals right now if you plan to retire in the next 3 years or so.

We have a vacation condo in HHI now and are thinking about a home at some point. It will either be HHI or the gulf side of Southern Florida. There are so many excellent golf communities. Maybe to many.

simple for me! I am going to Myrtle Beach buy a nice house in golf community and a pimped out cart.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I will say Georgia is a good choice, especially up to North from Atlanta. There are so many Fortune 500 guys here, so make the golf communities higher level than just a retire communities. And many young families move from West coast or east Coast, because of either living expenses or climate, which show something special here. Within 30 minutes, you can find the golf communities with the course designed by Bear, White Shark, Tom Waton and so on. Mitlife just buy out the whole Lake Oconee's Reynold Platation communities. Down there, there are over 10 super nice golf communities around lake. Hundreds of thousands people have their retire plan. So. go GA!

[quote name='Sir Larry Wildman' timestamp='1350573358' post='5811539']

[/quote]

Unfortunately for most there are a few things that make this suggestion a no-go. The money and potentially a bigger issue the connections required for memberships at these places. If money and connections were no issue, you can't get much better.

We plan to stay right where we are in a small
town near Auburn, AL.

Summers are hot...oh well, we're used to it.
Winter days sometimes cold.

Golf digest once rated this area best in the
country for public golf and our friends are
here.

Alabama is one of the country's best kept
secrets and we like it that way. So y'all feel
free to move to Florida and other places.

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1350583283' post='5812449']
[/quote]

What is your time frame? There are some SCREAMING deals right now if you plan to retire in the next 3 years or so.

We have a vacation condo in HHI now and are thinking about a home at some point. It will either be HHI or the gulf side of Southern Florida. There are so many excellent golf communities. Maybe to many.
[/quote]

Seriously considering HHI. Time frame 3-4 years. Definitely a private club. Which do you suggest?

I'd go with 2 homes/townhomes/condo, whatever.

One in AZ or TX for all but summer, then Michigan for summers.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

My daughter went to Auburn...War Eagle! As an East Coast guy, Alabama was very foreign to my wife and I, but after spending some time there with visiting my daughter, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice people were and the small town feel to the place. Very nice overall.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1350612899' post='5814903']
We plan to stay right where we are in a small
town near Auburn, AL.

Summers are hot...oh well, we're used to it.
Winter days sometimes cold.

Golf digest once rated this area best in the
country for public golf and our friends are
here.

Alabama is one of the country's best kept
secrets and we like it that way. So y'all feel
free to move to Florida and other places.
[/quote]

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1350614843' post='5815041']
[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1350583283' post='5812449']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously considering HHI. Time frame 3-4 years. Definitely a private club. Which do you suggest?
[/quote]

Off Island the top three are probably Colleton River, Berkeley Hall and Belfair. Right now you can get a lot for FREE and some will pay your first years dues to get out. They are great communities, it's just that people bought on speculation and now have decided not to build a home but the annual dues bill keeps rolling in. You can google the story from the WSJ discussing the plight/opportunity down there.

That of course leads to the next question. How financially stable are these communities? Haven't looked that closely yet because we are a few years further out than you are. Each community has two spectacular golf courses. Plenty of options for golf..... plenty of cost to maintain. I think the annual dues are around $12k a year. Not horrible when you consider the quality of golf. They have reciprocal arrangements in the off season so your golfing options are pretty spectacular.

Traffic can be pretty brutal during the summer (peak tourist season) but in my opinion it is worth it. There is simply so much to do down there. Biking, fishing, tennis, golf...etc

On Island I think Long Cove is the way to go. The houses are fairly reasonable and the golf is one of the best in the state. It's a smaller community so it has only one golf course but it's spectacular (from what I have heard). Have not played it yet. Need to get on that! ;-)

Sea Island, GA anyone? Obviously where the MacGladrey tournament is being played this weekend, but TGC announcers just talked about what an amazing golf venue and place to live. If it's good enough for Love and Snedeker...

Did some research and looks a bit pricey but very nice and with some very nice golf. Beach, kid friendly, etc. Anyone have more input on Sea Island?