2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Competitors bags that scare you.

outwardnine

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351009535' post='5833681']
[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1350964666' post='5831369'] [quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1350926500' post='5828027'] [quote name='superman912' timestamp='1350922780' post='5827785'] [quote name='TotallyStr8' timestamp='1350888161' post='5826609'] Not gonna lie. In a men's tournament everyone thought I was wasting a lot of my money entering the skins game with the best golfers in the province. They thought I was some teenage poser with blades, a 8802 style putter, and a staff bag. Well I kinda cleaned house and careered on them. Haters are my motivators. I blurred my name to conceal it, but If you don't believe me can happily send you a picture of my Golf Canada card, bag tags, and the uncropped photo. [attachment=1392035:Score.png] [/quote] Wow not one par 4 over 400 yards. What a joke of a course. I could shoot 64 there too. Try playing some real 7000+ yard courses. Still a nice score. [/quote] Great score. However, I'm not sure I've EVER played a golf course in my life that didnt have a par 4 over 400 yards. Our club championship was played on 7100 yds. I'm not trying to downplay anyones score on here...but many many golfers put wayyyyyyy too much on just a score rather than how that works out relative to slope & distance. [/quote] Yeah, but many many many golfers put wayyyyyy too much on slope and distance rather than score. A 64 is a 64. I don't care if that means he was only a +5 or so that day or whatever (just guessing what a course of that distance might be rated), but it takes some serious stuff to move it around a course in 8 under par. Not to pick on you, but you're a 1.9 handicap - go play your local pitch and putt short course and tell me if you get it to -8, or even close for that matter. I'm not trying to be snide...actually serious here. I don't care how easy the course is, 64 is legit, and those criticizing are probably just jealous that they can't match it. I know I am. e.g. NICE SHOOTING! [/quote]

I shot a 66 at Blufton Golf Club in Blufton, Ohio 3 weeks ago @ 6300 yards which was a 125 slope rating (i think). It was the first time I even played it. I dont even add those to my USGA. I didnt play as well when I shot a 75 at my home course which is 7100 and 141 slope, where 64 is the course recond score by a US Open winning PGA professional.

I'm sorry all 64's arent created equal, not even close. I prefaced my comment by saying Great Score. But when you brag about a 64 and cleaning house on a course that short, don't be surprised if you get criticism...which happend by more people than just myself.
[/quote]

First off, although I quoted you, I really should have quoted someone else. You weren't the biggest basher by any means. And, second, congrats on your 66 - that's a hell of an accomplishment. And you should add it to your USGA - that's why the slope and course rating system was established, so that we could differentiate between courses based on difficulty. Nobody is arguing that a 64 at some rinky-dink course is the same as a 64 at your home course (which is obviously very difficult). I'm just saying that a 64 IS brag worthy - even if it's at a short course. Just like I would argue that your 66 is pretty brag worthy. By the way, curiousity killed the cat and I looked it up - Bluffton is a 71.5/122 from the backs, so a 66 is waaaaay under your handicap and obviously something to be proud of. You probably also ought to post that since it's about 7 shots better than your handicap. Some might call it a bit of sandbagging to leave that one off .... ;)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp.

HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot.

It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351013048' post='5834029']
My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp.

HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot.

It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"
[/quote]

Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

64 on a short course is just as impressive as a long course in my book, I see that and you know he has a great wedge game, great short game. If he can drive the ball somewhat decent I would guess he's capable of well under par rounds on a long course as well.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1351019053' post='5834573'] [quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351013048' post='5834029'] My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp. HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot. It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch" [/quote] Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S. [/quote]

I very definitively understand the USGA handicapping system.

Two guys that are both 1 hdcp aren't automatically equal players in skill (apparently a point that wasnt clearly made by myself earlier). Your handicap is in relation to the courses you choose to play. If you play in a short open course and are a 1 and pit him against a guy that plays at Beth Page Black at a 1 at a neutral site...who are you picking with a gun to your head?

Anyways....back on topic.

I look at people's clubs, one type of club doesn't scare me at all...but I'd generally play any stranger for money. The thing you have to be careful of is guys in their mid to late 40's that are darker than John Boehner. They play a TON of golf. I lost a few C Notes to a guy that played a full Walter Hagan bag from Dick's, was Longhorn burnt orange skin toned, and proceeded to fire a 68 on a very very difficult course.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351025659' post='5835335']
[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1351019053' post='5834573'] [quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351013048' post='5834029'] My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp. HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot. It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch" [/quote] Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S. [/quote]

Two guys that are both 1 hdcp aren't automatically equal players in skill (apparently a point that wasnt clearly made by myself earlier). Your handicap is in relation to the courses you choose to play. If you play in a short open course and are a 1 and pit him against a guy that plays at Beth Page Black at a 1 at a neutral site...who are you picking with a gun to your head?

Anyways....back on topic.

I look at people's clubs, but one type of club doesn't scare me at all...but I'd generally play any stranger for money. The thing you have to be careful of is guys in their mid to late 40's that are darker than John Boehner. They play a TON of golf. I lost a few C Notes to a guy that played a full Walter Hagan bag from Dick's, was Longhorn burnt orange skin toned, and proceeded to fire a 68 on a very very difficult course.
[/quote]

If you're a 1 on a short, open course, you would still be a 1 at Bethpage - but your scores wouldn't be the same.

Nevermind

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351025659' post='5835335']

[/quote]

Dude, honestly, you have no idea how the handicap system works. The 2 1 handicaps are supposed to be equal because he's going to have to shoot better scores than you to maintain it since you "play a course that's 7,100 yards and has a record of 64 by a former US Open champ" (no need to remind us again, we heard you the first 4 times). I will give you that all 1 handicaps are not created equal, especially when one of the 1 handicaps (much like you) elects not to record 66s that would count at +5s on their handicap. You've got a real interesting way of rationalizing this whole thing. Best of luck with that.

Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that.

You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp.

The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores.

An old Jones bag sporting 1 headcover only. And even the long irons show sweetspots. Yikes.

TM Stealth Plus 9.0 w/Ventus Black 6S

TSI 3 15.0 w/Ventus Red 7X
Callaway UW 17 degree w/ MMT 80S

Srixon ZX 3 Utility iron w/ Recoil 95S
Srixon ZX7 (Gap-8 iron), ZX5 (7-5 iron) w/Nippon Modus 120 S
Taylor Made MG2 54,58 Black w/black Nippon Modus 115S
Ping PLD DS72 @34 inches

Less D-Bag passive brag talk and more scary competitor bag talk pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

Anyone who plays irons called "RocketBladez" and is wearing an entire orange Puma outfit.. those guys scare me lol...

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='Craglyboy' timestamp='1351096195' post='5839299']
[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1351094465' post='5839141']
Anyone who plays irons called "RocketBladez" and is wearing an entire orange Puma outfit.. those guys scare me lol...
[/quote]

Scared of playing them or just having to have a conversation with them?
[/quote]

Conversation; I'd be happy beating them.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

How about the guy in his late 40's with a staff bag/matching clubs, who wears a visor, smokes like a chimney, and has leather skin. This guy hasn't given up on the dream, wasn't quite good enough for the tour, but is getting ready for the senior tour. We have a couple of local Class A teaching pros in my area that are incredible players. Unfortunately, the like the bottle or the drugs a little more than golf. These guys can be very scary to play against.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351027998' post='5835557']
Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that.

You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp.

The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores.
[/quote]

I disagree, the kid playing bethpage probably never shoots under par. Hell, he can be a career high 70's guy. Playing the same difficult track becomes easy. To maintain a 1 on a short wide open course means you still have to be able to sink putts and get up and down to go under par. Bethpage kid is putting on well kept greens and playing out of nice bunkers. Where as the other guy is not. Having the "mentality" to go low still says a lot. Comparing course ratings is not the whole story. Guys who can maintain low caps playing various courses will probably beat both of these guys.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351098304' post='5839487']
Sorry, thats not the way golf works. When you are a highly skilled golfer....and golf courses get easier...you score lower. You're not trapped shooting 75's no matter where you play. Doesn't work that way boss.
[/quote]

Last try - then I'm done with this...

Do you not understand that the scores necessary to maintain a 1 handicap vary based on course rating and slope? You might have to shoot 79s at Bethpage to accomplish it, while you would have to shoot 70s at some local muni. By design, the USGA handicap system is intended to equalize the two players based on difficulty of the course. And I disagree that some bro who plays at Bethpage and averages 79 is automatically going to go start pouring off 70s at the local muni just because he plays at Bethpage. One requires maintaining, one requires going low. Two different skills indeed, but they both bring and equal and unique value to the table (thus the whole idea of utilizing the handicap system - again, not to belabor the point, but so you can quantify the ability of two different dudes who play two different courses). That's the whole point of the argument that the rest of the world besides you understands/is making in these last couple of pages. Is it a perfect system? No... But it works a hell of a lot better than the broscience you're offering.

I'm scared of anyone with a katana in their golf bag.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1351098001' post='5839461'] [quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351027998' post='5835557'] Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that. You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp. The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores. [/quote] I disagree, the kid playing bethpage probably never shoots under par. Hell, he can be a career high 70's guy. Playing the same difficult track becomes easy. To maintain a 1 on a short wide open course means you still have to be able to sink putts and get up and down to go under par. Bethpage kid is putting on well kept greens and playing out of nice bunkers. Where as the other guy is not. Having the "mentality" to go low still says a lot. Comparing course ratings is not the whole story. Guys who can maintain low caps playing various courses will probably beat both of these guys. [/quote]

I definitely disagree. I have never met a low handicap golfer that his scores stay the same when golf courses get easier.

I'm done with the conversation as well, thanks.

[quote name='Shrapnac' timestamp='1351092420' post='5838897']
Less D-Bag passive brag talk and more scary competitor bag talk pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.
[/quote]

I'm sure that was where this topic started. All this discussion over who does or does not understand handicaps perhaps belongs somewhere else?

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351099013' post='5839559']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1351098001' post='5839461'] [quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1351027998' post='5835557'] Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that. You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp. The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores. [/quote] I disagree, the kid playing bethpage probably never shoots under par. Hell, he can be a career high 70's guy. Playing the same difficult track becomes easy. To maintain a 1 on a short wide open course means you still have to be able to sink putts and get up and down to go under par. Bethpage kid is putting on well kept greens and playing out of nice bunkers. Where as the other guy is not. Having the "mentality" to go low still says a lot. Comparing course ratings is not the whole story. Guys who can maintain low caps playing various courses will probably beat both of these guys. [/quote]

I definitely disagree. I have never met a low handicap golfer that his scores stay the same when golf courses get easier.

I'm done with the conversation as well, thanks.
[/quote]

No one is saying the scores stay the same, but to remain a 1 on an easy course that you are describing, which would correspond to an approximate course rating in the high 60s (short and wide open) would require [u]many[/u] sub par rounds. The "brah" from bethpage can shoot 73s all day long on the easy and not sniff a 1.0. (73 is less than 79 at Bethpage, but a higher HCP). So his scores go down, but his cap does not. This is the reality of the system. All we are saying is just b/c you can keep a 1 by shooting high scores on a tough course does not AUTOMATICALLY mean you can be a sub-par guy. It is not that easy.

The only bag that scares me is my own..., on an off day, that 3 iron looks mighty small.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='driverhead' timestamp='1351107539' post='5840329']
[quote name='Siegfried' timestamp='1350522853' post='5809495']
Why should another players bag be of any concern, I was always under the impression that it is me against the ball-thus in turn against the
course ? Did I miss something ?

S
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

Why even post when you can't have fun with this thread? :russian_roulette:

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1351096425' post='5839331']
[quote name='Shrapnac' timestamp='1351092420' post='5838897']
[/quote]

I GAVE A SPEECH ON SOCIAL HOMOGENEITY AT VILLANOVA LAST WEEK!

Or maybe it was a streetcorner.
[/quote]

Maybe it's time to stop huffing jenkem.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

Sd4xD.jpg

When i see irons with a spot there i say to myself : "self, that person hits every shot a little thin" and that's about it. The bags that scare me are the ones that have a club or shaft I've never heard of because I know them all, I think

Good observation. One problem....That's a pic of Tiger's 8-iron. You're a bad judge of where the sweet spot is.

That spot is a groove low no matter whose club it is. Hit a ball there and you get that solid but click feeling. Hit it 1 groove higher and get that sensational feeling that cannot be described. Then again, Mo Norman (worlds best ball striker) said you should hit it it a groove low for some reason. I disagree. On the other hand... I have different fingers

S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink) Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x) 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex) 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour) 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper) PING Redwood black satin D66