Ping Doc

With the highest moment of inertia (MOI) of any PING putter to date, the new Doc17 has been Tour-tested since January, steadily earning the confidence of top players in the world.

The over-sized putter measures 17.02 centimeters (6.7 inches) from heel to toe and is fully machined from high-grade aluminum, creating precision lines and weight placement that expands perimeter weighting to new levels. The semicircle shape of the Doc17 positions the majority of weight on the extreme perimeter and far away from the center of gravity to create an extremely high moment of inertia. Simply put, high MOI helps get the ball rolling sooner and straighter for more consistent putts.

The Doc17 also features a thick topline and perpendicular cavity bar that helps golfers square the putter to the intended line. The precision milling of the cavity features also creates crisp, symmetric lines that further aid in alignment.

In addition to pushing the technology curve, the new design measures right up to the proposed USGA limit on putter body length of seven inches. "It got the USGA's attention," said PING Chairman & CEO John Solheim. "It's right up to the proposed limit. But they've reviewed it and it conforms. We're excited to get it into golfer's hands so they can start making more putts."

The aluminum body, weighing approximately 350 grams, has a electroless nickel- plated finish that creates a rich appearance with reduced glare.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used a Doc 12.5 for about 4 months... the most solid putter I have ever used. Honeymoon period was unbelievable. I honestly putted like Tiger Woods. I was standing over 40 footers knowing that they were going in... and they did. However, after about a month the putting wave crested, and slowly descended to my previous skill level. I ultimately swapped it out because it became increasingly difficult to align myself on putts inside of 8 feet or so. However, if solid contact is your primary problem, this is DEFINITELY the putter for you. The feel is pretty darn good too. Really meaty without being heavy, but not too light either. Great club.

I played this putter this summer and all i can say is wow, I tore up the greens alot of days, something that a brutal putter like me never does. I putted bad with it at times but that was a cause of bad technique(hands ahead of ball at address, peaking at putts) inside 4 feet i would align the arrow on the ball to my line and i knew the ball would be goin where i was aimed, its a bit bulky which may turn alot of ppl of but suck it up and try it, u will not be sorry. It would be in the bag right not if it wasnt at ping getting fixed.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Does nobody else dig the Ping Doc 12.5? This thing is the nicest feeling putter ever! Also, the sight line continues all the way to the face, making alignment a breeze.

With this putter I am more confident to hit the line I want almost all the time. Blade putters are great, and I own a callie forged, which also feels fantastic, but I simply make more putts with the doc.

I honestly think many more people would be using this if they just gave it a chance.

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I have had the ping doc 12.5 for about a year. My boss previously owned it and another before it. The only problem I have with it is the paint seems to be chipping off the face and he said that had happened to his other putter. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had the same problem with my Doc 17. Contact PING. I called them about my problem with the Doc17 and they told me to send it back for inspection. After searching high & low for a box that would fit that monster I sent it back & they sent me a new one within a week or so. Great customer service.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a 17 model. As in stated by others in earlier posts here, the finish pitted quickly for a newer model. I sent it to PING repair in Scottsdale to look at. They said it could not be refinished and that the Doc-17 had been discontinued so it could not be replaced. PING then offered to exchange it for [b]any [/b]new PING model as a replacement. The 17 is the best feeling putter I have owned in my 43 years of golf, so despite the unbelievable offer from PING, I could not part with it. But PING Customer Service was impressive.

[quote name='BackNine29' timestamp='1300549753' post='3069150']
I have a 17 model. As in stated by others in earlier posts here, the finish pitted quickly for a newer model. I sent it to PING repair in Scottsdale to look at. They said it could not be refinished and that the Doc-17 had been discontinued so it could not be replaced. PING then offered to exchange it for [b]any [/b]new PING model as a replacement. The 17 is the best feeling putter I have owned in my 43 years of golf, so despite the unbelievable offer from PING, I could not part with it. But PING Customer Service was impressive.
[/quote]

Was this just recently? I still play and love my Doc-17, but the paint has chipped to the point where there's more missing paint then paint left. I think it's time to throw in the towel!

[quote name='mjkappraisal' timestamp='1300640725' post='3071569']<br />[quote name='BackNine29' timestamp='1300549753' post='3069150']<br />I have a 17 model.  As in stated by others in earlier posts here, the finish pitted quickly for a newer model.  I sent it to PING repair in Scottsdale to look at.  They said it could not be refinished and that the Doc-17 had been discontinued so it could not be replaced.  PING then offered to exchange it for <b>any </b>new PING model as a replacement.  The 17 is the best feeling putter I have owned in my 43 years of golf, so despite the unbelievable offer from PING, I could not part with it.  But PING Customer Service was impressive.<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Was this just recently? I still play and love my Doc-17, but the paint has chipped to the point where there's more missing paint then paint left. I think it's time to throw in the towel!<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

I sent mine to PING about a month ago. Make sure you register your's before sending it to them. You do it by first registering at the PING locker room (free).

• 1 year later...

I agree with what everyone hear has said. I am a club ho but this putter has been with me for 5 years and PING also offered to replace it free of charge which I did but I also had a back up DOC 12.5. The new Redwood series cannot compare to my DOC. I have sent the putter to be refinished by Kevin Colbert and hopefully he can do what PING cannot.