TMAX review of ANSER VS. 913 D3...The two killer drivers of the fall

tmax77

This is a great thread and I personally love the comparison as I've been considering these two myself. It's amazing to see such different numbers, but only a 3 yard difference. Definitely depends on your paying conditions I suppose.

mit006 definitelt brought up some valid points as well, and I had some of those thoughts myself. Either way, great review and thanks for your time!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1351713695' post='5873863']
Thanks for the quick review of the two drivers. Since you are a very good fitter for these drivers, please try a variety of shafts in both as if you were fitting someone and then report back what you found to be the best for you for each driver. Then you are reporting the best for each. I'm understanding that this was not the case?
[/quote]

Although the Anser shaft was tipped the shafts are then supposed to play similar so I was simply comparing to clubs with as close to apples to apples as I could...ultimately though you are right I din't put in the best combo for each club (everybody is going to be different here) so just because the setup works for me doesn't mean that it is going to work for everyone..as i get more time and more shafts I plan to test them a bit more..thanks for the inquiry

Under construction....

[quote name='mdb0103' timestamp='1351715658' post='5874017']
This is a great thread and I personally love the comparison as I've been considering these two myself. It's amazing to see such different numbers, but only a 3 yard difference. Definitely depends on your paying conditions I suppose.

mit006 definitelt brought up some valid points as well, and I had some of those thoughts myself. Either way, great review and thanks for your time!
[/quote]

Also realize that TMAX knows the actual loft of his driver...or at least I know since I'm close with the guy that ordered it for him. That Anser in the "-" setting is still over 10 degrees. The 913D3 9.5 is a lot closer to 9.5 degrees than any Anser labeled 9.5 degrees. Even the Anser I have is 8.5 stamped loft but actually 9.75 finished loft.

9.5 stamped is not always 9.5... I think the Anser is just that low spin.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='mit006' timestamp='1351711453' post='5873701']
I can't help but notice that you noted that the Kuro Kage felt boardier.

Looking a little more carefully, you have a pretty stiff shaft in the Kuro Kage for your swing speed, 45 1/4 tipped 3/4 puts it at 44.5. As a club fitter you must know that tip stiffens the shaft a lot and also tends to lower the launch angle. On top of which, you set the adjustable hosel to "-" which lowers the loft and opens the face a tiny bit - effect being a lower dynamic loft at impact.

To me, it is no surprise you're hitting low bullets with the Anser. The shaft, tipping, and settings have made it so it isn't exactly a apples to apples comparison. The data you provided is great. It shows a fairly consistent swing speed and ball speed, you're making a good smash factor too. As other have already noticed, the launch and spin is way lower with the Anser, but I think that's somewhat attributable to the above. Would be a good test if you could stick the stock Ahina 70s into the Ping, set it to neutral and then compare it to the D3 with the Diamana D+ (White). I bet that would result in those high bombs you gave points to the D3 for. If the spin stayed lower, you may get that added "hard fairway" roll out too!

The interesting thing about the data is that for equivalent club head speeds, the Anser is a fraction of a mph faster ball speed. We're talking less than 1 mph difference. Which at least tells us that both heads are very similar in their "hotness" - If the Anser is more forgiving, and you can get your launch numbers up a little, but still have a lower spin than the D3 - you'd have a real monster on your hands.

But ultimately as you said, nothing replaces a proper fitting to get the above all sorted out.

Thanks again for your experience - all great information to hear.
[/quote]

I was quite surprised knowing what Mitsubishi had explained about the shafts I was trying to get a like comparison I know that in the end the Kuro was probably a little more stiffer so to speak. I wasn't trying to knock either driver because I think they are both fantastic.
I do agree with you that if I set the driver in the standard setting it would increase loft at least a little, the head that I got looked a little closed to me so I opened it so it would look square. I wouldn't think that by tipping the shaft and opening the head it would lower by two degrees especially when I currently use a TP 9.5 degree head that is open with a strong flex Altus and I launch that thing at 15.5 degrees and the club is 44 inches..my goal is to try multiple shafts and settings to see what happens

Under construction....

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1351717339' post='5874145']

[/quote]

Also realize that TMAX knows the actual loft of his driver...or at least I know since I'm close with the guy that ordered it for him. That Anser in the "-" setting is still over 10 degrees. The 913D3 9.5 is a lot closer to 9.5 degrees than any Anser labeled 9.5 degrees. Even the Anser I have is 8.5 stamped loft but actually 9.75 finished loft.

[/quote]

correct...again not trying to knock either product and not saying one is better just trying to compare as close as possible the results of two fantastic drivers..

Under construction....

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1351717339' post='5874145']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very interesting... Ping seems to always have the actual loft of their drivers well above the stamped loft.

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351702704' post='5872843']
[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1351702579' post='5872827']
Thanks for chiming in and adding your experience. Good read and I like how you keep it real. I have an Anser that I have not hit yet, but the 913 is one my radar for 2013 for sure!
[/quote]

What shaft and setting do you use in your Anser? What shaft are you looking for in your 913?
[/quote]

I've got the Ahina Stiff in the Anser and would likely use the S+ Stiff in the 913.

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351711811' post='5873739']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1351709277' post='5873527']
[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351708838' post='5873487']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1351708449' post='5873449']
Loved the post. Very interesting set of numbrers. Nice to see somebody in the same ball park ball speeds as me. I did notice your A of A is a little more on the Titleist, but even so, its obvious the Titleist is higher launching than the Ping, even accounting for that. Would be nice to see you hit a Fujikurs 6.2 Tour Spec or Matrix 6m3 to see if that spin rate came down a little. But spin isn't the enemy alot of people think. I really liked your post, and will look forward to seeing some more of your findings. Excellent job!!
[/quote]

I have those shafts on order from Titleist so that I can cover more players...Thanks again still working on the Angle of attack but as a fitter I know that positive 5 is the number that Trackman numbers recommend
[/quote]

Well you did a great job with the A of A with the Titleist, +5 degrees average, spot on!! Unfortunately mine averages out at about +1, comes from playing on Scottish Links I'm afraid, i'm scared to death to hit up on the ball that much. The wind would grab it, and lost ballsville!! Lol. Brilliant review though!!
[/quote]

Higher Angle of attack lower spin rates generally...great for into the wind...
[/quote]

Not so hot on crosswinds though. Lol.

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351702374' post='5872793']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1351701524' post='5872691']
Thanks for the review. I am surprised at the launch and spin numbers. Your AoA is higher, but man, is the Anser that much more of a low launch low spin head than the D3? The shafts couldn't be making that much difference could they? The heads are the same loft but you launched the D3 quite a bit higher.
[/quote]

Spin rate wise surprised me too...I knew Anser was supposed to be low spin :swoon: but WOW!!
[/quote]

Is the Kuro Kage that low of launch and spin or more the head?

9* Taylor Made 2016 M1 430 Aldila Rogue MAX
[size=4]15* and 19* TaylorMade 2016 M1 [/size]Kuro Kage TiNi Silver 70
[size=4]19* Titleist 818 h2 Diamana D+ 90[/size]
[size=4]4-PW MP64 KBS C Taper
52*, 56*, 60* Cleveland 588 Tour Action DG S400[/size]
34" Scotty Cameron Seleect Newport M1 350g
34" Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 350g
[size=4]34" Scotty Cameron Studio Style 2.5 330g
34" Odyssey Works Versa V Line 350g[/size]

[quote name='SweetTeaGolfer' timestamp='1351726678' post='5874741']
[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351702374' post='5872793']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1351701524' post='5872691']
Thanks for the review. I am surprised at the launch and spin numbers. Your AoA is higher, but man, is the Anser that much more of a low launch low spin head than the D3? The shafts couldn't be making that much difference could they? The heads are the same loft but you launched the D3 quite a bit higher.
[/quote]

Spin rate wise surprised me too...I knew Anser was supposed to be low spin :swoon: but WOW!!
[/quote]

Is the Kuro Kage that low of launch and spin or more the head?
[/quote]

I apologize that I don't have a whole lot to go on I haven't tried this shaft in any other head, but that being said the tfc 800 shaft launched higher for me...

Under construction....

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351730600' post='5875057']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1351729646' post='5874959']
Thank you so much for doing this study. I'm all about retiring my Anser for the 913. Just waiting for the doors to open. :)
[/quote]

Just curious don't like the Anser? Or just think the 913 will be better?
[/quote]

I don't care for the sound of the club and I just can't settle in with a shaft - and I've tried 5 (the 5th being a motor speeder 6.2 TS. It's one of those clubs you are dying to love and you just can't put 2 good days of driving together.

I picked up the 913D3 85 D+ and just murdered it over and over.

Regarding the numbers from your screen capture, your higher ball speed with the 913 is significant. Throw away the outliers and it's REALLY significant. Your 913 launch angle killed roll out. Your carry was 15 yards longer but I think you could have gained another 7-10 yards with an 8.5 head. Get your numbers closer to 13*.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1351731510' post='5875127']
Thank you so much for doing this study. I'm all about retiring my Anser for the 913. Just waiting for the doors to open. :)
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't care for the sound of the club and I just can't settle in with a shaft - and I've tried 5 (the 5th being a motor speeder 6.2 TS. It's one of those clubs you are dying to love and you just can't put 2 good days of driving together.

Regarding the numbers from your screen capture, your higher ball speed with the 913 is significant. Throw away the outliers and it's REALLY significant. Your 913 launch angle killed roll out. Your carry was 15 yards longer but I think you could have gained another 7-10 yards with an 8.5 head. Get your numbers closer to 13*.
[/quote]

FYI those numbers of Tmax are about 98+% efficient with both drivers... the only real way to improve his numbers are to launch it at 16-16.5 and spin it at 2350-2400. At his ball speed going down in loft makes little to no sense. You already see what lower launch and spin do with the Anser which is less carry and less total. So at the end of the day, hes VERY efficient with both drivers and it just depends on which ball flight or trajectory HE wants to see... realistically those two drivers are not far apart. Moral of the story for the viewers, hit up on the ball with the driver for efficient numbers.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='nikegolfer1983' timestamp='1351732457' post='5875211']
I ordered the 913d2 with the stock diamana d+ 70stiff shaft, would be curios to try other shafts on a launch monitor and see how they compare. Is there certain accounts that carry the fitting carts with all the upgraded shafts? Is the diamond d+ their "upgrade" shaft?
[/quote]

Advanced Titleist fitters would have upgraded shafts...some of those advanced fitters should be getting the updated shaft matrix pretty soon from what I have heard..

Under construction....

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1351734865' post='5875437']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

FYI those numbers of Tmax are about 98+% efficient with both drivers... the only real way to improve his numbers are to launch it at 16-16.5 and spin it at 2350-2400. At his ball speed going down in loft makes little to no sense. You already see what lower launch and spin do with the Anser which is less carry and less total. So at the end of the day, hes VERY efficient with both drivers and it just depends on which ball flight or trajectory HE wants to see... realistically those two drivers are not far apart. Moral of the story for the viewers, hit up on the ball with the driver for efficient numbers.
[/quote]

Concerning the 913 I would like to see lower launch angle and reduce his spin on at least 4 shots - A lower lofted head or a setting change can achieve this. The reduced efficiency I see is the ~3000 spin with a 15* launch angle (there are a couple of these shots). What this leads to is a number not on this chart - decent angle. I believe that more rollout can be achieved with this change.

But to the contrary of my point there are some 16* L.A. shots with great spin at 2.4k and even less. Primo.

My question for the OP is why is there such a dramatic spin variation with the 913 than the Anser?

From your sample:
Anser spin 1990-2500
913 spin 1675-3600

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I have a question T, I was reviewing the 913 chart and while the numbers are in the same spot per say the wording "effective loft at square..." suggests what? Based on the 910 chart and specs the A1 setting was .5 open, does this hold true with the 913? I noticed that Titleist does not offer the stock face angle in the specs on the website...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1351737169' post='5875675']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Concerning the 913 I would like to see him lower his launch angle and reduce his spin - A lower lofted head or a setting change can achieve this. The reduced efficiency I see is the ~3000 spin with a 15* launch angle (there are a couple of these shots). What this leads to is a number not on this chart - decent angle. I believe that more rollout can be achieved with this change.

But to the contrary there are some 16* L.A. shots with great spin at 2.4k and even less.

My question for the OP is why is there such a dramatic spin variation with the 913 than the Anser?
[/quote]

I'm just telling you that's not the case, we're discussing averages... not nitpicking one or two shots. We see efficient numbers with Anser at 12 and 2200 and we see efficient numbers with 913 at 15 and 2600. Why do you think going to D3 in 8.5 would yield anything different than 12 and 2200 to 15 and 2600... so lets say 13 and 2400... nothing was gain nor lost just trading carry for roll. Again, the only way he can be more efficient keeping ball speed constant is launching higher with less spin.

Launching at 16.5 with 2400 is going to give MORE carry with the same roll which achieves more total. Going 8.5 in D3 is again, only a trade off for carry or roll.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1351737169' post='5875675']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Concerning the 913 I would like to see lower launch angle and reduce his spin on at least 4 shots - A lower lofted head or a setting change can achieve this. The reduced efficiency I see is the ~3000 spin with a 15* launch angle (there are a couple of these shots). What this leads to is a number not on this chart - decent angle. I believe that more rollout can be achieved with this change.

But to the contrary of my point there are some 16* L.A. shots with great spin at 2.4k and even less. Primo.

From your sample:
Anser spin 1990-2500
913 spin 1675-3600
[/quote]

Why a dramatic difference? I must not be very good....lol...

Anser cog different and sweet spot a little bit bigger giving more consistent results. Also hitting drivers at 50 degrees when you haven't touched a club in over a week...

Regarding landing angle I didn't post these results because different fitters argue which is optimum numbers....track man says ideal is 30 degrees and I have heard as high as 37-40 degrees recommended....depends on what the person is looking for optimum carry or optimum roll...but to Anser your question the Anser landing angle was 27.5 degrees and the d3 was 36 degrees

Under construction....

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1351737329' post='5875685']
I have a question T, I was reviewing the 913 chart and while the numbers are in the same spot per say the wording "effective loft at square..." suggests what? Based on the 910 chart and specs the A1 setting was .5 open, does this hold true with the 913? I noticed that Titleist does not offer the stock face angle in the specs on the website...BB
[/quote]

Titleist is trying to be less confusing with this driver...pure marketing...because theoretically Titleist doesn't make a driver that is "dead square" with manufacturing tolerances what they are from companies their drivers can vary by +/- 75 degrees of loft and can be slightly open or closed the only true was is to get a head that is digitally lofted only one company does that.(ping)..it's actually funny because when I was doing this review I thought I remembered that wording from 910 series so I called Titleist customer service and asked that same question and there response was the face angle of 913 is the same as 910 dead square not open or closed...

Under construction....

Had fitting 2day, replaced my 910....913 d3 9.5* phenom stiff on its way....

I also wanted to compare with the answer but Ping and my fitter have issues with 1 another so havent received new Ping offerings....
Your posted results make me think it was ok I missed out on it, think the 913 better fit for me....

Great info, really usefull

[quote name='24vince' timestamp='1351742473' post='5876087']
Had fitting 2day, replaced my 910....913 d3 9.5* phenom stiff on its way....

I also wanted to compare with the answer but Ping and my fitter have issues with 1 another so havent received new Ping offerings....
Your posted results make me think it was ok I missed out on it, think the 913 better fit for me....

Great info, really usefull
[/quote]

Good luck with the driver...

Under construction....