Charlie Beljan...What just happened?

33 Handicap

I find it hard to believe he could actually play through a real panic attack. Impressive, if he really did. I have had one in the past, and the only thing I was able to do was build a "fort" out of the couch cushions in the back room and hide under a blanket for about six hours. That was back when I could actually FIT under the couch cushions. Now, I would be hosed.

(what?)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1352677203' post='5920109']
I find it hard to believe he could actually play through a real panic attack. Impressive, if he really did. I have had one in the past, and the only thing I was able to do was build a "fort" out of the couch cushions in the back room and hide under a blanket for about six hours. That was back when I could actually FIT under the couch cushions. Now, I would be hosed.

(what?)
[/quote]

yeah but that was an acid flashback not a panic attack! :drinks:

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1352677356' post='5920111']

(what?)
[/quote]

[/quote]
LOL! I think that was golf's equivalent of sucking it up. His caddie deserves major kudos. He was probably major in keeping him calm and focused on what he was doing.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

(what?)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Naw, man. Acid is for sandle-rockers. Real rock musicians do (DELETED BY MOD).

(edit: not on this site)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1352677908' post='5920137']

(what?)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Naw, man. Acid is for sandle-rockers. Real rock musicians do (DELETED BY MOD).

(edit: not on this site)
[/quote]

^^^ humor

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1352677026' post='5920099']
[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1352666685' post='5919479']
Wanted to chime back in with my opinion as well. I know it's a real medical issue and I hope he gets better. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy. What I'm saying is if he starts getting into high pressure situations consistently ie final pairings and starts consistently having these attacks that truly give the appearance of life endangerment, I think he should WD until he can get a handle on it. Kevin Na didn't look like he was going to die, Tiger didn't look like he was going to die. Being paired up with someone who looks like they're having heart problems, complete with constant medical supervision is beyond what his fellow competitors should have to deal with if this starts becoming a reoccurring situation. Just my opinion and people can disagree. Bottom line I don't think a guy should have to play a tournament, which has it's own distractions and pressures, and also having to worry that their playing partner looks to be jeopardizing their own health.
[/quote]

No, thats not what you said. The first thing you did was say he should have already WD. If his FC's can't handle whatever amount of distraction came out of this for them then, maybe professional golf isn't for them.
[/quote]

Caught me there. I did say that but he didn't withdraw and ended up winning. Good for him, truly, and I hope he's passed this. Nonetheless my position remains, if this happens again I think him WD'ing himself is in order. The distraction this kind of a health situation presents is beyond what I think is acceptable because the symptoms appear extremely life threatening. At some point you have to draw a line between what is acceptable and what isn't. I know it's not something he can control. Let me present another medical situation. Would it be acceptable for someone with Tourettes to be paired with someone who had to face yelling during their backswing? It's a medical condition that's uncontrollable but to me would unfairly hinder a playing partner.

It's human nature to be concerned for someone facing medical crisis. When that person seems to disregard their own health it's human nature to want to step in and make the person realize the gravity of their situation and the possible consequences of their inaction.

For those saying the playing partners need to just deal with it answer this hypothetical situation:
He has a panic attack in the final pairing at the masters, but wants to stick it out to earn a return trip to Augusta. He looks the same as Friday. Medical staff is worried about his heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Now imagine Tom Watson is having a dream week, at sixty some years old. But despite his long tenure as a professional he's never dealt with this, a guy who looks near death. Hopefully it's just another panic attack but what if the doctors missed something and there's a heart issue reoccurring because of the stress? He keeps focus as best he can but loses out to a player in the next group on a birdie run and loses by one.

I know that's a crazy scenario but I'm taking it to the extreme to illustrate my point. To those guys in the tournament this week it's THEIR Masters, at least those near 125 on the money list. Do or die, and once again it's my opinion that playing with someone who is possibly dying is, in my opinion, beyond what should be required of a playing partner. Thus I feel he owes it to anyone he's playing with, who is in a meaningful position to them, to withdraw should this reoccur.

Edit: actually I withdraw my admission of saying that. If you read all my posts it repeatedly says "if this happens again" and I never said he should've WD already. I assumed you had read that from one of my early posts, but when I just double checked I never said that.

Which isn't to say I don't necessarily think that. I'm not sure how he should've handled this initial attack, assuming his playing partner was in the middle of an important round. Tough decision. But I do think IF THIS HAPPENS again he owes his fellow competitors a WD.

Edit 2: I also want to reiterate I have absolutely nothing against the guy. Know nothing about him aside from what I've seen and heard on golf channel the last few days. Wish him continued success. Seems like a good guy.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352675073' post='5919963']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1352671503' post='5919711']
so does he really have a condition or is he just a country club kid who hasn't been through anything?
[/quote]
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

If that doesn't qualify for huge stress, I don't know what does. Other dad's like me definitely understand. True?
[/quote]
I'm military. That's not enough to cause a panic attack IMO.

By your answer to my question you're calling him a country club kid who hasn't been through anything lol

We can't have a conversation about this when you insist on using the imaginary to demonstrate your point. This guys issue and tourettes syndrome? You can't be seriously offering this as an actual comparison. The distinction between the two is clear. Charlie wasn't screaming uncontrollably in someones back swing. I don't even know how to respond to the masters scenario you describe. You lost me the moment you mentioned Tom Watson in contention at augusta in 2013. Since we're playing pretend, Why not go the distance and suggest Jack decided to dust off the sticks and is, at 74 or whatever, making a Sunday charge just as this nobody loser starts to get a little twitchy? Maybe we can have a freshly thawed Walt Disney rooting Jack on? While we are at it let's make Sinbad and carrot top funny and on a hit TV show together!

Every thing you say about it suggests the guy was on deaths door. That is not the case. They have medical personal on site to evaluate and treat all manor of injuries and illness. If he was in fact screaming out loud or shaking uncontrollably i would completely with you. But he's not doing that. He has some type of medical issue, he is able to remain still and quiet during others turns. What you're suggesting is that simply his presence is enough of a distraction to others to make him quit his profession. If that's the case, then I submit John Daly and his hideous pants should also walk away. Tiger and his massive media and fan following is clearly as much of a distraction, Bubba watson is about as twitchy and awkward as they come, he would certainly bother me out there. he should do something else too by your reasoning. There are a million things out there that are distractions for these guys. I would argue that a large part of the reason they are out there in the first place is the ability to tune out such things and play their game. These guys, yes even the ones fighting for their card this week, are among the very best in the world. They can handle it.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1352683035' post='5920445']
so does he really have a condition or is he just a country club kid who hasn't been through anything?
[/quote]
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

If that doesn't qualify for huge stress, I don't know what does. Other dad's like me definitely understand. True?
[/quote]

By your answer to my question you're calling him a country club kid who hasn't been through anything lol
[/quote]

I was in military too - doesn't matter here... Everyone is wired differently. You can't suggest he is a "softy" country club kid with no difficult life experiences because he reacts differently to stress. The tour is filled with "country club kids". You also don't know his full story and what his internal stressors are. The guy is 6'4" and 220lbs but he came off 18 in tears on live TV. Something serious was affecting him emotionally. We should respect that and not be judging him here.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1352683868' post='5920505']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1352683035' post='5920445']
[/quote]
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was in military too - doesn't matter here... Everyone is wired differently. You can't suggest he is a "softy" country club kid with no difficult life experiences because he reacts differently to stress. The tour is filled with "country club kids". You also don't know his full story and what his internal stressors are. The guy is 6'4" and 220lbs but he came off 18 in tears on live TV. Something serious was affecting him emotionally. We should respect that and not be judging him here.
[/quote]

Just sounds like there's more to the story.

And for the record, the first part was WRX sarcasm. Forgot the tag.

/WRXsarcasm

[/quote]
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

[/quote]

He's newly married?

Nuff said.

No wonder he is walking around crying.

Wife probably has a stack of Pottery Barn catalogs with all kinds of stuff highlighted.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1352688139' post='5920867']
[/quote]
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

[/quote]

He's newly married?

Nuff said.

No wonder he is walking around crying.

Wife probably has a stack of Pottery Barn catalogs with all kinds of stuff highlighted.
[/quote]

HAH. Dropped $1300 at Lululemon last month like my wife….

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

A panic attack because he has a shot at winning a c-d level tourney. Welcome to November golf. SO dramatic, in a sort of tempest in a teapot way.

OMG!!! he has a new family! Totally dramatic. What a gutsy performance!!!!

And he's just about to cry!!!! (How cool is that?)

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='boxerjoe2011' timestamp='1352659716' post='5919147']
[quote name='Par-A-Medic' timestamp='1352514502' post='5914609']
Paroxysmal super ventricular tachycardia is also a good guess
[/quote]

Supra-ventricular-tachycardia or SVT. I would like to know who these medics were. All of his symptoms are of cardiac suspicion, if he was AOX4, he can AMA, but I think he said he had no memory of the back nine on Golf Central, which leads me to believe he was altered. I'm surprised these "medics" didn't get in some trouble for this. Of course, we don't know what his vitals were, but still. Sketchy medicine.
[/quote]
+1

Doncha just want to hug him? Pat him on the back? Tell him it'll be okay?

Pretend you'll actually remember his name when the real tour starts again next year?

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1352681246' post='5920323']

I know that's a crazy scenario but I'm taking it to the extreme to illustrate my point. To those guys in the tournament this week it's THEIR Masters, at least those near 125 on the money list. [b]Do or die,[/b] and once again it's my opinion that playing with someone who is possibly dying is, in my opinion, beyond what should be required of a playing partner. Thus I feel he owes it to anyone he's playing with, who is in a meaningful position to them, to withdraw should this reoccur.

[/quote]

He choose 'Do' but for a round there it looked like he was going the other way.

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1352692178' post='5921135']

Pretend you'll actually remember his name when the real tour starts again next year?
[/quote]

Again Midas? We got it the first time- you're not impressed. Good for you...

Isn't there a TW thread for you to peruse?

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1352688744' post='5920911']
A panic attack because he has a shot at winning a c-d level tourney. Welcome to November golf. SO dramatic, in a sort of tempest in a teapot way.

[/quote]

classy

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1352688744' post='5920911']
A panic attack because he [b]has a shot at winning[/b] a c-d level tourney. Welcome to November golf. SO dramatic, in a sort of tempest in a teapot way.

[/quote]

[b]#faileddream[/b]

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1352692178' post='5921135']

[/quote]

Damn, at what age did you become so bitter? 21?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

(what?)
[/quote]
I have to agree with this. "Flight" would kick in big time. But then who knows? Maybe his caddy was instrumental in keeping him on an even keel so he could finish the round and/or his desire to finish the round outweighed the panic attack by just enough to complete the round?

I understand It's hard for those who haven't experienced health issues of [i]this[/i] nature to empathize, but it's a real sick feeling with strong physical components.

He's a rookie out on tour - I'd wager we hear is name again associated with success.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Classic panic attack. Classic! Good for him for fighting through and winning! Way to go Charlie.

I'd been one of those that said "panic attack"? WTF? these people are looney......until I had one. You swear you are going to pass out and/or die. Blood pressure drops, heart rate goes up. For me they didn't last but a few seconds. I can't imagine a whole day filled with them!

[quote name='Willie Malay' timestamp='1352733984' post='5922373']
Classic panic attack. Classic! Good for him for fighting through and winning! Way to go Charlie.

I'd been one of those that said "panic attack"? WTF? these people are looney......until I had one. You swear you are going to pass out and/or die. Blood pressure drops, heart rate goes up. For me they didn't last but a few seconds. I can't imagine a whole day filled with them!
[/quote]

And shooting 64 in a tour event! (Of any grade grand master Bob wants to give it)

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I have been pretty busy here in NJ and have been trying to get things cleaned up here. Sunday night I finally got a chance to sit down and relax and turn of the Golf Channel and find out that Beljan went through that horrible panic attack and then went on to WIN the tournament!! AMAZING story and god bless him. It put a smile on my face and made me feel good for a little while.

Anyone who takes anything away from this guy should honestly be ashamed of themselves. If someone has to talk down about any accomplishment that anyone else has made needs to take a long look in the mirror. I feel sorry for you.