Adams Idea Tech V3

G.Review

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The best Adams has done to date. In a nice small package and really gets the ball out there. Wonderful hybrid!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='OhioCanuck' timestamp='1296748157' post='2948522']
I've read that the finish isn't very durable, wears off after a couple of uses, has anyone seen that to be true?
[/quote]
So far no. Got some range time, and I have had no issues.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Do these tend to draw or fade?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

• 2 weeks later...

Got to put it in play this weekend.

This hybrid is smaller than the Super Hybrid, and in my book, that's a good thing. They say it's built on the same chassis, and you can see it, but the overall look is smaller. It lets you get away with alot. If you swing too steep, you'll make contact. Sweep too much, you'll still make contact.

For the first round of the year, I performed decently with it for the first real time in anger. It's long. Very long and accurate. Unaltered, it performs with a very slight fade to straight flight. I had Adams bend mine a little upright to make it go the opposite way (slight draw to straight). Stock shafts are 60g which makes the ball get up in a hurry and the length is pretty remarkable. My best shot of the day was a 179 yard strike with the 5i hybrid out of the right rough (soft, slightly muddy turf) to 25 feet of the pin. The best I could have asked for given that situation.

Overall a very nice hybrid. I say the best they've done still because I went away from Adams because they just started to look too funky. They've gone back to a more traditional look and gave a big technology punch to allow different types of hitters to use the same stick. I was very happy with it and will have these for some time.

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1296951988' post='2954410']
i started a thread trying to find out more on v3 and did not get much response. i hope more people share there expirience with this club.
[/quote]

I got the #6 hybrid for my daughter for Christmas. After hitting hers several times into our net, I decided to order the #4 for myself. The feel at impact is [b][i]that good! [/i][/b] Hers has the stock Bassara shaft, but I ordered mine with the Matrix Ozik Altus shaft which is a no-charge option from Adams (thanks Discount Dans). I also ordered it slightly shorter in length than standard. I put the club in play on a recent trip to the Caribbean and it performed exceptionally well. I also got to hit it side-by-side against my buddy's pro black. IMO no comparison. The V3 is way easier to hit and feels much better and is longer at similar lofts. The ball flight is high and flat. I am a high launch/high spin 5 handicap. I could work the ball with this club both directions. It launches nice and high, but no spinners. The club head also seems to sit ever so slightly open at address, unlike some other manufacturers hook machines.

These hybrids get progressively larger as you go down in loft, so the #3 hybrid is larger than the #4 and so on. I'm not sure if I would like anything larger than the #4, but I'm sure many players would. The #5 and #6 are really cool for player who don't like long irons.

I give this hybrid my highest rating and think although it was made as more of a game improvement stick, better players are going to migrate to this club and will love it if they put the right shaft in it. The V3 is a winner!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 month later...

5 stars for me. Love my V3 head, but hated the Bassara..... a 65 g shaft in a club originally designed to replace irons, no me gusta. Reshafted my 22* with an Accra XH 105 and I love it. Mine also was ordered 2* flat which I think helps given the tendency for hybrids to be too upright for most people. Wants to go straight, can even work a fade. Side note, I tried to order mine with an Altus for no upcharge through Golfsmith.... twice.... and got two Bassaras, so after a month at that point I gave up. Think I've found a winner, and just ordered up a 19* head off ebay as well as a pair of Accra shafts (68 bucks shipped for the pair).

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* AD-BB S
Callaway Epic SZ 13.5* Kaili S
Callaway Apex 18* Kuro Kage S
Callaway Apex CF 4-A DG X100
Hogan 55*/60* KBS S
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

I am just getting back into the golf world after taking about a 10 year break so my game is really not very good. I typically shoot around 110-115 on a par 72 course but my game is improving ( I have about 5 rounds under my belt). So I did some research and found that the Adams Idea tech v3 hybrid irons were rated very high and that they are a very good game improvement set of clubs. I Picked up a set off of ebay for $450 and played my first round with them last Saturday and all I can say is WOW I am very impressed with the distance, the accuracy and the straight flight of the ball. These clubs made me fell like a pro as they are easily 2-3 clubs longer than my ping i3 oversized irons. I was able to make 3 long shots onto the green from 170, 176, and 100 yards and each time the ball flew high long and straight and the ball stuck hard. For someone like me with a 30 handicap that is quite an achievement. The 7 hybrid iron is easily longer than my 5 iron in the ping set. The added weights on the hybrid irons easily adds a great amount of feel to the swing and when you contact the ball it is a feeling like butter as the club face launches the ball. In my opinion the Hybrid Irons are far superior to the traditional cavity backed irons. The Adams clubs are very forgiving and even on mis-hits the ball flew long and straight. I know that with a few lessons and If I can learn how to hit my driver straight consistently I can be playing in the 90's in a short amount of time. These clubs are light weight easy to hit and fly great and while my knowledge is limited I can say that for me these clubs are amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Travis_can't_golf' timestamp='1301955834' post='3118919']
I am just getting back into the golf world after taking about a 10 year break so my game is really not very good. I typically shoot around 110-115 on a par 72 course but my game is improving ( I have about 5 rounds under my belt). So I did some research and found that the Adams Idea tech v3 hybrid irons were rated very high and that they are a very good game improvement set of clubs. I Picked up a set off of ebay for $450 and played my first round with them last Saturday and all I can say is WOW I am very impressed with the distance, the accuracy and the straight flight of the ball. These clubs made me fell like a pro as they are easily 2-3 clubs longer than my ping i3 oversized irons. I was able to make 3 long shots onto the green from 170, 176, and 100 yards and each time the ball flew high long and straight and the ball stuck hard. For someone like me with a 30 handicap that is quite an achievement. The 7 hybrid iron is easily longer than my 5 iron in the ping set. The added weights on the hybrid irons easily adds a great amount of feel to the swing and when you contact the ball it is a feeling like butter as the club face launches the ball. In my opinion the Hybrid Irons are far superior to the traditional cavity backed irons. The Adams clubs are very forgiving and even on mis-hits the ball flew long and straight. I know that with a few lessons and If I can learn how to hit my driver straight consistently I can be playing in the 90's in a short amount of time. These clubs are light weight easy to hit and fly great and while my knowledge is limited I can say that for me these clubs are amazing.
[/quote]
pro as they are easily 2-3 clubs longer than my ping i3 oversized irons...the only problem I have is that they changed all the loft angles so you can't easily replace a club that is in your bag with the same number of the adams. I loved the 7 iron at the store but it is the same loft as my odler adams 6 iron. Because I carry several cleveland hybrids, I would have to replace a few of them in order to have the proper gapping. (callaway and tayjor made did the same thing recently). Then they brag about being the longest 7 iron, etc.

but I do like the v3s and wish they didn't charge 200 bucks for one club if you are not buying the set. I did see one 7 hybrid in the very small head style that you can subsiitute and it is a 31 degree.

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6
Every kind of wedge there is

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

For those of you who reshafted their V3, did you have any problem with swing weighting? The V3 #3 is 16 grams lighter than my A4 #3 and trying to swap shafts is creating a swingweight conundrum. A dry fit of the V3 measures at a C3 while the A4 measures D1 with the same shaft.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1348888157' post='5715375']
For those of you who reshafted their V3, did you have any problem with swing weighting? The V3 #3 is 16 grams lighter than my A4 #3 and trying to swap shafts is creating a swingweight conundrum. A dry fit of the V3 measures at a C3 while the A4 measures D1 with the same shaft.
[/quote]

The V3 #3 is manufactured to play 3/4" longer than the A4OS so there's about 4.5 SW points covered. Via the manufacturer the V3 was made D0, the A4OS D1 so thats up to 5.5 SW points. 60 vs 65 gram stock shafts so that's near enough to 6 points. I wouldn't be surprised if the V3 had a lighter grip either. 16 grams of headweight is huge tho.

So yeah, at any rate you'd be looking at retaining the extra 3/4" length to have a fighting chance. You could look at shaft weight too, but that may be getting away from preference.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='Qegurezi' timestamp='1348971636' post='5720691']
[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1348888157' post='5715375']
[/quote]

The V3 #3 is manufactured to play 3/4" longer than the A4OS so there's about 4.5 SW points covered. Via the manufacturer the V3 was made D0, the A4OS D1 so thats up to 5.5 SW points. 60 vs 65 gram stock shafts so that's near enough to 6 points. I wouldn't be surprised if the V3 had a lighter grip either. 16 grams of headweight is huge tho.

So yeah, at any rate you'd be looking at retaining the extra 3/4" length to have a fighting chance. You could look at shaft weight too, but that may be getting away from preference.
[/quote]
I was hoping to pair that head with the NV 85S and which was cut down to play of the progression of my irons. Oh well, back to the old drawing board.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

• 1 month later...