Best golf shot you ever made

butch33611

I was playing in a tourney and the previous hole i had a mental lapse and 3 putted from legitimately inside 2 feet for a 7. I didn't hit a great drive on the next hole but I had about 120 in, perfect for a choke up pitching wedge. As soon as i hit it i knew it would be good. my pitch mark was about a half inch from the hole and it spun back to 3 or 4 inches away.

I also once holed out from the fairway at Torrey Pines south. that was pretty awesome

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing skins for beers after the round with 2 of my buddy last weekend (around 35* outside !) and we are standing on the 18th tee off. Last hole is worth 4 skins (double skins for the last 6 holes and 17th was halved...). I'm up by 1 skin and my buddy who's 1 down as a shot on the 18th (we gave him 1 shot on the toughest 6 holes).
450y par 4.
I snap hook my drive in the water hazard.
He hits a perfect draw about 180y from the hole.
I take a drop and I have 235y to the middle of the green and 206y to the front. It's a red flag and there is a bit of a helping wind. I take a 5 iron and hit a high ball that is going right at the right side bunker. I screamed at the ball to draw. It seemed like it took forever but finally, it started drawing towards the hole and landed 8 feet away from the flag.
My buddy flushes his shot from the fairway but the ball hits the top of the bunker and rolled back down in the sand. He gets out and 2 putt it for a boguey.
I made my putt for a heck of a par and enjoyed the best beer ever !

That's the shot I'll see in my mind for the next 4-5 months untill the snow melts and I can walk down the fairways again...

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

This is a great thread.

I'm terrible with stuff like this, but something that comes to recent memory was during a round I got paired up with a threesome:

We were on the 9th hole, a short par 4. I tried to drive the green and ended up slicing it pin high but about 40 yards off the green pin high. I had to hit off a 45* downslope in the rough, over a bunker, to about 5 feet of green. I squared up, opened my 60*, and threw it in there as hard as I could. Even with how delofted my wedge was based on the lie I managed to get it up high, over the bunker, and to stop within about 3' for the tap in bird. Honestly, the other guys were excited for me, but I was personally blown away by that shot. I had no idea I had it in me, and the best part is that I envisioned it exactly how I executed it. Might be why it was so cool for me.

Honma G1X 9.5*
TaylorMade SLDR S HL *17
Titleist 915h 19*
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Tour-S Rustique *52, *56, and 60*
Scotty Cameron - Art of Putting Newport 34"

I may have a new entry in my shots to remember. I was playing Sandcreek Station in Newton, KS. It is a very unappreciated public access course managed by the same company that manages Bandon Dunes (or at least did). One of the nastiest holes is a 180 yd. par three. The green is a skinny, long tiered nightmare with a deep, bunkered mini-valley on one side and a steep hill on the other. On this day, I was playing into a 30 mph Kansas wind. Hit a 3 iron with a little draw low. Since the green slopes away from front to back (and I am blind as a bat thanks to a cataract) I couldn't tell that I had rolled it to about 6 feet. Doesn't sound like much probably but I won't soon forget that shot.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple come to mind..
A few years back I blocked a shot right on a short dog leg right with a water in front of the green to about 60 out. My ball landed on top of a huge mound with a very steep back side and appeared to roll off of it. As I was walking up I found the ball about halfway up slope. It got stopped by a clump of grass and was actually sitting up quite nicely. I shot my distance and was around 140. So I grabbed a 5 iron out and addressed the ball and I could barely make a stance it was so steep. I stood over it with several clubs until I settled with my 3 wood which I usually hit 225-250 and made as full of a swing I could under control and absolutely flushed it. It almost disappeared it went so high and landed 12ft from the pin.

Also once I was playing with 2 brothers both solid sticks but one of them very solid (+3). Me and one of them were best balling the other. We came upon the 17th a par 3 I think we were ahead by 1. The Opp hit it on the green about 15-20ft and my partner found the sand and I hooked my shot and it found a lie similar to the one mentioned above but a downhill lie. I had about 30-35ft to the green and the pin was on the other side of the green from me. I could barely make a stance and I knew I had to somehow land it on the green. My partner already hit and had about 30ft left for par. I grabbed my 58 and opened it wide open and hacked it out and the ball landed on the green rolled about 35ft and took about 6ft of break and on it's last roll fell in the hole for birdie and pretty much secured the match and free dessert.

As far as in competition my friend mentioned above and I play in out clubs invitational together. This year we got in a playoff and on the second hole one of the opponents (a scary good golfer that has won 3 Missouri Am's and hits it a mile) drove one about 15yrds in front of the green. I hit my drive right into the trees and had a shot but had to go over one tree and under another (about a 3X7 window). I was 100yrds out and it was down wind. The good thing was my ball was sitting on hard-pan so I knew I could get spin. I grabbed my PW and I hit that once in a million shot that landed just on the front edge of the green and took the spin and released to about 10-12ft. The opp's chip ran about 5ft past the hole leaving him with a tricky putt. I drained my putt and he missed giving us the win. Fun thing was the entire field stayed to gallery the playoff so I got quite a roar when I hit that shot and made the putt.

Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

[url="http://www.teeitupmarketing.com/70649/files/2012/07/Scorecard.jpg"]http://www.teeitupmarketing.com/70649/files/2012/07/Scorecard.jpg[/url]

From the tips - 260 yard 3 wood off the deck over water (all carry) to about 3 feet. Into a peninsula green surrounded by water. Made the putt for eagle...surprisingly.

Never even would have hit the shot but was down a stroke to a buddy and he usually birdies that hole. My favorite shot considering the money that was on it. I had a hole in one two years ago...but this was still my favorite shot ever. Happened this past summer too.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Royal Navy Championships back in the 80's at Blackmoor GC in the South of England. The 8th is a par 5 dogleg right with a row of huge trees down the right that overhang at least one third of the fairway. "Don't hit it down the right!"

So I do.

Now I'm standing about 6 feet from OB on the right under the trees with about 240 to the green which needs a 40 yard fade to get [b]round[/b] the trees and no higher than 10 feet to get [b]under[/b] the trees.

"Go for it" says I, and hit a punched, faded 1 iron to 3 feet for an eagle!

Tried the same shot next day (Couldn't hit the drive down the right all week) and shanked the ball OB!!

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

my 2nd shot on a par 5 last year. drove it right into a bunch of trees...was playing with two older gentlemen i was paired up with. they saw me pull out 3 wood and asked "what's the plan?" i called my shot, high draw over the trees (very tight area with a small opening) and hit the shot perfectly on the front fringe about 30 feet from the hole. the guy told me that he had been to a bunch of different tour events in his life and that was the best shot he had ever seen, which was pretty special.

the not so special part was ending up with just a par.

if it wasn't for his comment i would say my one and only hole in one...but it was really cool hearing something like that from someone that has been around the game so long.

Titleist 910D2 7.75* - TBD
Titleist 910Fd 14.25* - Rombax P95
Titleist CB 710 2i - DG S400
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW - DG S400
Vokey C-C 53/13 & 59/05 - DG S400
Fastback No. 1

[quote name='profsmitty' timestamp='1353326694' post='5952717']
I may have a new entry in my shots to remember. I was playing Sandcreek Station in Newton, KS. It is a very unappreciated public access course managed by the same company that manages Bandon Dunes (or at least did). One of the nastiest holes is a 180 yd. par three. The green is a skinny, long tiered nightmare with a deep, bunkered mini-valley on one side and a steep hill on the other. On this day, I was playing into a 30 mph Kansas wind. Hit a 3 iron with a little draw low. Since the green slopes away from front to back (and I am blind as a bat thanks to a cataract) I couldn't tell that I had rolled it to about 6 feet. Doesn't sound like much probably but I won't soon forget that shot.
[/quote] Kemper still manages that facility. I put in for a transfere to Sand creek Station and was told that it would be placed on hold pending future contract negotiations.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Long number of years ago and one of the first times playing golf with someone who wasn't one of my friends.

We went to a links course about 50 miles from home, when we get to about the 9th we pair up with an old man, i'm really nervous having someone watch me playing. The next hole is a par 3 with a sunken green so all you can see is the pin, the guy knowing we weren't familiar with the course explains how the hole should be played. He says "hit it in good and high and you want to land it on the mound just before the green", and that's exactly what I did, right on the pin and just hits the mound perfectly.

The old guy says "Jesus, i think I'll let you's play on", I'll only hold you back". I was more delighted about him not playing along with us, than I was the good shot.

Just having a look and I think this was the hole, but when we played it, there was no fairway short of the green, just heavy rough.

narin-portnoo-1.jpg

July 2009. I was a 5 handicap, standing on the 18th tee 4 under par. My previous lowest score ever was 69, and including that I had only shot under par twice ever. The last hole was a risk-reward par 5, with water down the entire right hand side. I hit a great tee shot, a smoked draw down the left hand side that rolled forever. My approach was the shot of a lifetime. 191 out, with water short and right of the green. I was terrified, thinking about everything that cound go wrong. Someway, somehow, I dead flushed a 6 iron. It nearly flew in the hole. Took one hop and stopped 10 feet behind the hole. And, yes, I did make the putt.

I'm scratch now, and still have not touched that score. What a day.

Well, I just had my longest ever hole-out on Saturday. Par 4 18th hole, 430 yds, uphill, into the wind, 42 degrees, almost dark out- I was 202 to the middle of the green, ball sitting above my feet. At first, I grabbed a 4-iron. However, with the ball above my feet, playing into the wind, I figure 4-iron is going to miss short left. Good place to miss, but forget that, it's the last hole, and I've only made one birdie all day. So, I grab a 3-hybrid, choke up, and put about an 90% swing on it. It just shot up in the air, straight at the pin. It was too dark out for me to really see it land. As I'm walking up to the green, I don't see anything. I figured "Well, it WAS too much club, it must've went over. Grab a couple wedges, give the customary glace into the hole, and do a doubletake- yup, the ball is in the hole. Walk-off eagle on 18.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Mine technically didn't count but the course was Magnolia Plantation in Lake Mary, FL near Orlando. The hole was the 1st but that day it was my last since there was a large group that teed off on the opening hole right before me so I skipped them and started on the 2nd. The hole is a pretty easy 500yd Par 5 with a wide landing area and water in-front of the green. I hit a really good drive and was left with 175 to the flag. The shot calls for a fade since there's fairway to the left of the green and water to the right but one could also go straight at it. My shot is a draw but I went for the fade anyway feeling I'd err on the cautious side. I ended up not getting it to cut and it was out left, 10yds from the green. At that point I was upset since I knew the better play was to go with a swing I was more comfortable with. I dropped another ball, aimed right at the flag and hit a pure shot that went dead straight towards the pin and disappeared. When I drove up to the green all I saw was the ball in the cup. It would've been my first double eagle. On a happy note, I got up and down with my original ball for a birdie.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

The best shot I have ever made, was when I was 14 yrs old playing in a junior tournament at a prestigious local country club, I dreamed about playing this club for a few yrs, I won the junior title at my home course to get in this tournament. Anyway, I was hitting a 5 wood from the fairway on a long par five, I was about 340 yds out. About 130 yds in front of me and right was the 7th green, in which some older plump ladies were making putts to finish the hole. I wind up and make my swing, and skull one about 100mph straight at the green the older women were on. The one woman was just bending over to pull her ball out of the cup, and stands straight up when I yell four. The ball hit her inner thigh and bounced around in there like a ping pong ball, drops and rolls right in the cup with her ball. To this day, 17 yrs later I am not allowed to play at that club. I wish that club pro would retire already, because I can finally afford to be a member there.

• 2 weeks later...

Had another great one the other day that may have taken over the top spot. Playing a skins game with 7 other guys, we were on the 7th hole and have 5 carryovers. It is a 165 yd par 3, definitely not the easiest hole on the course. Jokingly I told the guys, ya'll don't need to hit I'm just going to hole this one out and take all the skins... I hit one of the shots of my life that landed about 6 ft behind the pin and started to back up, it stopped about 2" from the cup.

All the guys were screaming "Get in the Hole!"... I have NEVER wanted the ball to stay out of the cup so much in my life! The 7 others I was playing with were possibly some of the biggest golf drinkers I had ever met and they were VERY thirsty... Would have emptied my winnings and my wallet to pay for all those drinks!

After that shot all the other guys proceeded to try to hole it out and I was the only birdie, so walked away with 6 skins from 1 shot... It was a good day...

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

#18 on Pacific Dunes. Hit my drive under the tree on the right. Took a drop for an unplayable lie. Hit 3 iron from 270 on the line the caddie told me to hit it (can't see the green from there). Looking around, can't find it...finally look in the hole. My "alba-eagle".

Two days later on #15 at Pacific Dunes I hit a six iron that stopped two inches short of a real albatross in the morning and lipped out a 7 iron at Old Mac in the afternoon that would have been my first hole in one. It was a great trip!

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x

Possibly today actually! 116yd wedge for an eagle two on 9.

One of those awesome moments where you call a cocky shot to your partners and for once the the golfing gods aren't paying attention, and rather than spiting your arrogance and making you duff it lamely onto the front edge, you actually hit the exact shot you called! And not only does it spin back from about 5 feet behind the hole as predicted, it rolls gently in the middle of the cup for that oh so sweet feeling of 'did that really just happen!'

Most of mine are punch shots under/through trees or hard benders like Bubba's winning shot at Augusta.

My most memorable shot would be a series of bad shots that led to a perfect 4 iron to tap in par.

9th hole Par 4 408 yards dogleg left. I tried to cut the corner with a big draw over water and some old farm buildings which ended up being more of a hook over the water, over the entrance road, and behind an old barn. The only play I had was back passed the corner - the wrong way towards the tee box which brings water back into play and lengthens the hole considerably. Nutted my layup to center fairway. Had 200 yards to an uphill green and had to bend it right-to-left, which means I have to aim it towards water just right of the green. Nut the 4 iron draw to 1 foot of the center pin for a walk up tap in par.

Here's a photo I found online of the teebox view of this hole. The pin is passed the barn over the right corner. The fairway is out right of the stonewall buildings.

9-IMG_0695.jpg

Personally, I think saving par out of a greenside bunker is very rewarding, almost better than making a birdie. But one late afternoon this summer I was playing alone and was deep in a greenside bunker in two on a par 5. I made a textbook sand shot & it went right in the hole for an eagle. And no one saw it but me! I'm sure I did a fist pump or two, it was sweet!