2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Making standard grips into Midsize

aswo3332

Ok, I definitely don't know the technical specs of grips like many of you on here, so humor me of this is a stupid question. Can standard grips be built up to Midsize using a specific amount of tape? I want to get some golf pride tour velvet cords, but they only come in standard. I have large hands and need Midsize grips, but there are only so many options.

Is this possible? If so, how much tape would you need to add, and how would this affect the club overall?

Thanks for the info.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I'm playing Midsize with 2 wraps, so for the standard I would need to have 6 wraps underneath rag grip? Is it possible that the grip will not fit on the club because of all the tape? That probably depends on the shaft butt size as well I'm guessing.

Will this noticeably change the weight of the club?

Most grips can handle it but I'd recommend using lots of solvent and a good vice to hold the club while you push it on. It will take more effort.

I doubt very much you'd notice any difference in weight.

Although I've not noticed it, some will argue that stretching a grip that much can make it feel firmer/harder vs the midsized counterpart. I guess it depends on how soft the grip is to start with and what your preference might be.

[quote name='aswo3332' timestamp='1352997437' post='5938367']
Right now I'm playing Midsize with 2 wraps, so for the standard I would need to have 6 wraps underneath rag grip? Is it possible that the grip will not fit on the club because of all the tape? That probably depends on the shaft butt size as well I'm guessing.

Will this noticeably change the weight of the club?
[/quote]

Standard build up tape for Golf adds 0.015 for each layer, and 1 layer is 2.0 to 2.1 grams
- 6 grams / 3 layers of build up equals to 1 SW point on the SW scale, as Counter weight. (Lower Reading)

Mens [b]Standard[/b] = 0.900
Mens 1 x Bu Tape +1/64 = 0.915 + 2 grams grip side - 1/3 SW Point Counter weight
Mens 2 x Bu Tape +1/32 = 0.930 + 4 grams grip side - 2/3 Swp Cw
Mens 3 x Bu Tape +3/64 = 0.945 + 6 grams grip side - 1 Swp Cw
Mens 4 x Bu Tape +1/16 = 0.960 + 8 grams grip side / [b]Mid size[/b] - 1 1/3 Swp Cw
Mens 5 x Bu Tape +5/64 = 0.975 + 10 grams grip side / Mid size plus 1 - 1 2/3 Swp Cw
Mens 6 x Bu Tape +3/32 = 0.990 + 12 grams grip side / Mid size plus 2 - 2 Swp Cw
Mens 7 x Bu Tape +7/64 = 1.005 + 14 grams grip side / Mid size plus 3 - 2 1/3 Swp Cw
Mens 8 x Bu Tape +1/8 = 1.020 + 16 grams grip side / Mid size plus 4 / [b]Jumbo [/b]- 2 2/3 Swp Cw

Golf Pride New Decade MID size grips is about 12 grams plus from std, making a counterweight of 2.0-2.5 SW points, vs using 4 layers of build up who saves 4 gram on total weight, and reduce Counter weight effect to 1 1/3 Sw point.

6 layers of build up tape is no big deal, and not a hard case.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='Brianm423' timestamp='1352999110' post='5938581']
4 wraps is CLOSE to midsize. I've been messing around a lot with grip size lately. Started playing with midsize NDMC then wanted a full cord so moved to BCT and started adding tape. I was comfortable with 4 wraps, but now I'm downsizing and going to see how 2 wraps plays. Still keeping the BCT cords.
[/quote]

[size=4]How are the BCT's treating you? I read that those are softer than the velvet cords, so I think those might work better if I am adding 5/6 layers of tape and they get a bit firmer. Right now I'm debating between NDMC midsize or velvet cords/BCT standard with 5/6 wraps of tape. [/size]

[quote name='HateTheHighDraw' timestamp='1352998172' post='5938481']
+4 is incorrect. Its more like +8.
[/quote]then I stand corrected.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1353032016' post='5941085']
[/quote]then I stand corrected.
[/quote]

I'm not sure you should stand corrected. I also am under the impression that 4 extra wraps = midsize.

Use duct tape it's thicker. One wrap of duct tape is = to 3 wraps of masking tape. Just make sure you put one wrap of masking tape on the bare shaft first, the adhesive residue from duct tape is miserable to clean off. Duct tape also weighs less than the equivalant amount of masking tape.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

The amount of tape differs with the thickness of the tape. If your masking tape is thin, you need more.

Making the tape thick makes it more difficult to start the grips entry. I find it better to soften the grips mouth with gasoline to make it more easy to stretch and gain the initial entry.

Stretching the grip thins the rubber some and you might not like the thinner feeling which comes out a bit hard. Some people like that harder feeling but others react differently.

Best might be to special order the right size from the distributor.

Shambles

here

[url="http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/GripSizing.pdf"]http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/GripSizing.pdf[/url]

I found this the other day here. Look your shafts and grips up online, get their specs and reference the chart.

I have SPB and just installed the GP whiteout blues and it came out pretty close to what my midsizes have always felt like.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

[quote name='Russ757' timestamp='1353059751' post='5942051']
here

[url="http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/GripSizing.pdf"]http://www.golfworks.../GripSizing.pdf[/url]

I found this the other day here. Look your shafts and grips up online, get their specs and reference the chart.

I have SPB and just installed the GP whiteout blues and it came out pretty close to what my midsizes have always felt like.
[/quote]

Great info. I buy the GolfWorks buildup tape and each wrap is designed to increase the grip 1/64th, so it is easy to do the math. Some tapes are thinner than others.

Myself, I have Iomic 2.3 Stickys and I have three extra wraps, four total and they are pretty close to midsize, that is a .600 shaft butt.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

It also depends on the grip outside diameter -- I've started using Lamkin grips, and have found that they are just slightly fatter than GP's. That would affect the number of buildup layers as well. My PP 3Gen grips have are .580 core on a .600 butt and I use 3 layers of masking tape to get a just-under-midsize feel.

YMMV.

ya i used the build up tape because.. well I didnt read the description when I ordered them. I used 3 +1 on with the lamkin corded performance pluses (highly underated wood grips btw) as well as 3+2 on the whiteouts. According to the sheet, the GPs needed another wrap but they were close enough.

As Plus8 said, Lamkins play a little fatter than the GPs.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

[quote name='HateTheHighDraw' timestamp='1353039421' post='5941579']
Everyone says its +4 but I'm talking you it isn't. +4 is more like a +1/32 grip not a +1/16 grip which is standard mid size. I've messed with wraps for years and +8 is correct for obtaining a +1/16 grip.
[/quote]

A midsize grip is going to be +1/32, which is what the OP is asking for. So yes, 4 wraps is about the right number. Going 8 wraps would make the grip into an oversize or jumbo grip at +1/16. Of course these numbers would all need to be adjusted depending on the shaft diameter and inner diameter of the grip. I suppose if you had a .590" but and .600" grip, then 8 wraps would be more appropriate.

[/quote]

I don't know the exact amount. but tend to agree with you. I use to play +4, now its +2 +4. No way +4 makes either 58 or 60 grips feel like midsize. Last I knew core diameters of standard and midsize grips are the same; only the outside diameters were different.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='mxtitleistgolfer' timestamp='1353081502' post='5943075']
Everyone says its +4 but I'm talking you it isn't. +4 is more like a +1/32 grip not a +1/16 grip which is standard mid size. I've messed with wraps for years and +8 is correct for obtaining a +1/16 grip.
[/quote]

A midsize grip is going to be +1/32, which is what the OP is asking for. So yes, 4 wraps is about the right number. Going 8 wraps would make the grip into an oversize or jumbo grip at +1/16. Of course these numbers would all need to be adjusted depending on the shaft diameter and inner diameter of the grip. I suppose if you had a .590" but and .600" grip, then 8 wraps would be more appropriate.
[/quote]

Wrong. +1/16 = Midsize. +1/8 = Jumbo.

[url="http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#proper_size"]http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#proper_size[/url]

[quote name='aswo3332' timestamp='1353031142' post='5940985']
4 wraps is CLOSE to midsize. I've been messing around a lot with grip size lately. Started playing with midsize NDMC then wanted a full cord so moved to BCT and started adding tape. I was comfortable with 4 wraps, but now I'm downsizing and going to see how 2 wraps plays. Still keeping the BCT cords.
[/quote]

How are the BCT's treating you? I read that those are softer than the velvet cords, so I think those might work better if I am adding 5/6 layers of tape and they get a bit firmer. Right now I'm debating between NDMC midsize or velvet cords/BCT standard with 5/6 wraps of tape.
[/quote]

I love the BCT cords. I think it was last year I found a ridiculous price for golf pride cords on ebay, but they turned out to be the old tour velvet cords which I didn't like at all especially when building up tape. Way too hard. The BCT cords, even with a few extra wraps of tape, are still pretty soft IMHO. I don't plan on changing to a new style grip anytime soon.

[quote name='aswo3332' timestamp='1353031142' post='5940985']
[/quote]

[size=4]How are the BCT's treating you? I read that those are softer than the velvet cords, so I think those might work better if I am adding 5/6 layers of tape and they get a bit firmer. Right now I'm debating between NDMC midsize or velvet cords/BCT standard with 5/6 wraps of tape. [/size]
[/quote]

From the time I took up golf to about eight years back, I used standard TV's, and then switched to standard cords for four years, then BCT till about a year back. BCT's felt more like cords then TV standard, least in my hands. The other noticeable difference was how the oils from my hands made cords a bit harder over time. They lacked that extra bit of grip that Tour Velvets offer, plus TV still feel nicer, and properly cared for, they last a bit longer then cords.

NDMC in my hands didn't last very long.. the rubber turned too hard and slippery.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[/quote]

That's because they're right....... 3-5 wraps depending on tape

It is not 8 wraps, idk where you pulled that number

[quote name='craniac24' timestamp='1353086969' post='5943519']
[quote name='mxtitleistgolfer' timestamp='1353081502' post='5943075']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wrong. +1/16 = Midsize. +1/8 = Jumbo.

[url="http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#proper_size"]http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#proper_size[/url]
[/quote]

You're right, I mixed up the dimensions, but that still doesn't change the fact that adding 8 wraps is going to make the grip larger than a midsize in the majority of cases.

Just stop the argue, you got whats right in the chart i gave you
Grip sizing is one of a few standards in Golf, so if you are using tape for golf use, the chart is correct and there is no guess work to it at all. 4 layers of BU = Midsize and 8 layers is Jumbo, end of story.

If you are using 0.580 core on 0.600 add 0.020 to diameter
If you are using grip tape as build up, count 0.010 instead of 0.015 for each layer

Golf tape is made by this standards, masking tape is not, so providing info of how many layers of masking tape who gives mid or jumbo is not the same from painters tape to painters tape, so this info is useless without a brand and model nr for the tape in use. Take a caliper and measure shaft butt without and with 1 layer, and you will know how much the actual tape adds, its not more difficult than that.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1353241535' post='5949185']
Grip sizing is one of a few standards in Golf, so if you are using tape for golf use, the chart is correct and there is no guess work to it at all. 4 layers of BU = Midsize and 8 layers is Jumbo, end of story.

If you are using grip tape as build up, count 0.010 instead of 0.015 for each layer

Golf tape is made by this standards, masking tape is not, so providing info of how many layers of masking tape who gives mid or jumbo is not the same from painters tape to painters tape, so this info is useless without a brand and model nr for the tape in use. Take a caliper and measure shaft butt without and with 1 layer, and you will know how much the actual tape adds, its not more difficult than that.
[/quote]

I don't doubt what you have posted. Maybe you can help explain though why 4 wraps on a lamkin crossline standard size does not feel like a Lamkin midsize 1/16" over? This past summer I tried building up my grips with 4 wraps, then I tried a midsize grip and the difference was quite obvious. I don't understand why though?

Thanks! Great thread too!!

[quote name='Bigjim1022' timestamp='1353243807' post='5949241']
[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1353241535' post='5949185']

[/quote]

I don't doubt what you have posted. Maybe you can help explain though why 4 wraps on a lamkin crossline standard size does not feel like a Lamkin midsize 1/16" over? This past summer I tried building up my grips with 4 wraps, then I tried a midsize grip and the difference was quite obvious. I don't understand why though?

Thanks! Great thread too!!
[/quote]

Feel and size is 2 different things, and 4 wraps of tape feels softer than a MID sized grips does
The same complain is often heard from using 0.580 on 0.600 core. The added rubber is harder than build up tape, so the feel of the grip becomes different.

If target is MID size we got 3 options to get there (Mid is 0.960)
- Standard grip with 4 layers each of 0.015 BU tape - softest grip feel with the lowest effect on Counterweight and total weight
- 0.580 core on 0.600 - Using 2 layers of BU and 1 layers of grip tape as build up (2 x grip tape total) - Medium firm grip feel
- Mid size grips - firmest feel, largest influence on total weight and Counterweight.

All the 3 options gives MID size or 0.960, but weight and feel is slightly different, so take take the option who gives gives the most for you from weight, counterweight and feel of firmness.