Vokey interview: Can't get up and down? It might be a sole problem

zakkozuchowski

608ed66427ac8ae4cd8d9a75e388742d-600x400.jpg

Can't get up and down? It might be a sole problem

By Zak Kozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

It’s not me; it’s the club.

Make that claim in front of experienced golfers and they’ll shy away from conversation with you for a while. That’s because they’ve learned one of golf’s hardest truths – golfers, not golf clubs, cause bad shots.

For the most part, I’ve been in agreement them. Sure, a properly fit driver can result in more yards and more accuracy. And a more forgiving set of irons will be… well, more forgiving. Such improvements can lead to slightly lower scores and more fun, but they’re changes that aren’t going to take a golfer to the next level. That’s because substantial improvement comes from practice, not product, right?

After talking to renowned wedge designer Bob Vokey and going through a wedge fitting at the Titleist Performance Institute in Oceanside, Calif., I was forced to reconsider. I learned that choosing the right wedge is about more than filling in distance gaps – it’s about finding one with the proper sole design. And selecting the right sole can be the difference between chunking pitches and pitching it to a few feet from the cup.

According to Vokey, the sole is the engine of a wedge. If a golfer hopes to play their best, they have to use a wedge with a sole configuration that matches their style of play. This is especially important for a golfer’s lob wedge, the most specialized wedge in a golfer’s bag.

“A large part of the game is working with the player and getting feedback,” Vokey said. “Early in my career, my strength was knowing what the tour liked. I built trusting relationships with each player and that’s what it takes. They’d say, ‘Voke, you know what I want. Make me what I want.’”

When Vokey first opened a business as a custom clubmaker in 1976, sole configurations (also known as grinds) were much more limited than they are now, especially to the general public. But through the years, wedges have evolved from “get out of jail clubs” -- designs that helped golfers escape bunkers and rough -- to scoring tools that give golfers the green light to play a variety of shots from the fairway, rough, bunkers or wherever else their ball ends up.

Vokey gained expertise building equipment for some of the game’s best, such as Lee Trevino and Dave Stockton. After stints with TaylorMade and Founders Club, Vokey joined Titleist in 1996. His first project with the company was as a design assistant for the 975D driver. But his attention to detail and rapport with tour players made him a natural choice to lead Titleist’s wedge department. His sole focus became wedge design, which he mastered through his tinkering with tour players.

"That's how all these grind came about," Vokey said. "Working with tour players and getting the right grind for their particular technique."

a09fac1a5eda5019de34e6af15646073-600x400.jpg

a6d229ce3527368bf9e7c22e237767a2-300x200.jpg 77fce752991a2a39f75f8f165716e266-300x192.jpg

Gold-plated replicas of the Vokey wedges that were used to win major championships.

One of the most important aspects of a wedge’s grind is the bounce angle, which simply put is the measurement of how far the leading edge of a wedge sits off the ground. More bounce means the leading edge rests higher off the ground at address, and less bounce means the leading edge is closer to the ground. Bounce is impacted by several factors such as camber (the curvature of the sole) and sole relief (the shaping of the trailing edge), which makes it complicated to measure. But Vokey made the function of bounce easy to understand:

“The idea of bounce is to let the trailing edge hit and keep going forward.”

Good wedge players have mechanics that allow them to use wedges properly. They know how to use the bounce, which leads to more consistent wedge play because it prohibits the club from digging. Vokey has found that most regular golfers are not so skilled with their wedges. They don’t know how to use the bounce of a wedge, which leads to digging. That’s why more bounce is often better for them.

“There are more positives to a little more bounce than there are negatives,” Vokey said.

Wedge fitting at TPI

A93UuJKCMAAS5VY.jpg-large-600x400.jpg

Zak Kozuchowksi being fit for wedges by Kurt Donahoo at Titleist's Oceanside Test Facility

After my interview with Bob Vokey, I headed to TPI Oceanside for a wedge fitting with Kurt Donahoo, a Class A PGA Professional with more than a decade of club fitting experience at TPI. There, the entire line of Vokey wedges was available for me to test with shafts and lengths I liked. And thanks to an outdoor loft/lie machine, there was no guessing involved. The lofts and lies were dialed in, and I hit all shots with my preferred golf ball.

After I warmed up, Donahoo started by having me hit full shots using a 50-degree wedge with 8 degrees of bounce and my favorite shaft to a flag 125 yards away. After a few swings, he changed my target to a flag that was 65 yards away. As I was hitting the less-than-full shots at the new target, Donahoo directed my attention to the large divots I was making. Then he put a 50-degree wedge with 12 degrees of bounce in my hands and told me to hit the same shot. I was pleased to see my divots become significantly shallower.

“You’re always going to be pretty shallow on your full swings, so the bounce doesn’t matter as much,” Donahoo said. “But on your less-than-full swings, you get steeper, so you need more bounce.”

Donahoo was right. I've often been the victim of a good drive spoiled by a fat half-wedge shot. With more bounce, the flight of my less-than-full shots with the 50-degree wedge was more consistent, and it was a lot harder for me to hit a shot fat.

The fitting for my 55-degree wedge was similar. Vokey’s current SM4 wedge lineup is available in two-degree increments, from 46 to 64 degrees. This meant that I had the option of choosing a 54-degree bent 1 degree weak or a 56-degree bent 1 degree strong. Donahoo and I decided on the 54-degree with 14 degrees of bounce instead of the 56-degree with the same amount of bounce, because adding a degree of loft to the 54 also added a degree of bounce, whereas subtracting a degree of loft from the 56-degree subtracted a degree of bounce. As with the 50-degree, the extra bounce helped the trailing edge of the wedge hit and keep moving forward, keeping my divots smooth and shallow.

Donahoo also recommended that I try a different shaft in my 55-degree wedge. Instead of a Project X shaft, which offers a stiff tip section for a penetrating ball flight, he had me try a Dynamic Gold S400 shaft, which plays slightly heavier and has a softer tip.

“You’re going to hit mostly full shots with your 50-degree wedge, so it makes sense to use the same shaft you use with your irons,” Donahoo said. “But most of your shots are going to be less-than-full with your 55- and 60-degree, so a softer shaft makes sense.”

Finding the proper sole configuration in a 60-degree wedge proved to be the most time consuming process. Like the other two wedges, Donahoo and I agreed that the highest bounce options – a 60-degree with 10 degrees of bounce – was the best choice. But unlike my 50- and 55-degree wedges, my 60-degree would be used primarily around the greens and in bunkers.

Donahoo had me hit several different 60-degree wedges from a bunker that surrounded one of TPI’s perfectly manicured practice greens. I liked all of them, but there was one that I felt was slightly better than the rest. Donahoo smiled, and dropped a few balls for me to hit behind the bunker. He wanted me to hit lob shots with the club to a pin that was 15 yards away, tucked close to the bunker’s lip. I chunked the first one into the middle of the bunker.

“I hit it fat,” I said, for some reason feeling the need to explain what I though was completely obvious.

“Don’t change anything,” Donahoo said. “Hit another one.”

The same thing happened again, at which point Donahoo rushed in with another wedge -- the 60-degree with 10 degrees of bounce, an "M" grind.

“Don’t change anything,” he repeated.

So I didn’t, and my next shot came off crisp – it landed high and soft, and landed close to the pin.

Fitting to a miss

The wedge I chunked twice was a 60-degree with 4 degrees of bounce -- an "L grind" -- the same model played by Rory McIlroy. The wedge has very little camber (read flat sole) and a narrow forward bounce section, making it good for players like McIlroy who have great hands and a shallow angle of attack with their wedges. But there’s another reason why McIlroy plays a wedge with only 4 degrees of bounce – he grew up in Northern Ireland, an area of the world with firm golf courses that require low-bounce wedges.

The 60-degree with 4 degrees of bounce was great for me out of the bunker because its bounce is situated in the rear portion of the sole, the part I was using to hit bunker shots. But when it came to hitting pitch shots that brought the leading edge into play, I was sunk.

Donahoo saw that I shifted my weight on pitch shots more than most good wedge players he works with, which is one of the reasons why I require so much bounce. But he also pointed out that I grew up playing courses with very soft conditions in Michigan, which is where I currently reside. Because of where I live, the extra bounce doesn’t hurt me. And even as I work to improve my wedge mechanics, Donahoo said that my wedge needs are not likely to change.

“With wedges, we’re fitting to a miss,” he said. “Most of your good shots are going to be good with most wedges, so we need to find the wedge that helps you with the bad shots. Almost all of your bad shots are going to be steep, so more bounce is going to help you.”

post-59676-0-99751400-1356712688_thumb-300x200.jpg post-59676-0-78765200-1356712860_thumb-300x200.jpg

Team Vokey uses these models to make new wedges for Steve Stricker, who has a very shallow angle of attach with little wrist action. He prefers an "S" grind on his 60-degree wedge, which offers a medium amount of bounce and is available on Vokey models 58-09 and 60-07.

Doing better

One of the most important advancements in wedge design since Vokey’s arrival at Titleist were the aggressive grooves that the USGA and R&A outlawed for professional golfers in 2010. Although the spin of Vokey’s most recent line of wedges is essentially unchanged on dry lies in the fairway, they’ve lost performance in wet conditions and in the rough because of the mandatory reduction on groove volume and sharpness.

Vokey said testing showed that his first conforming models, the SM3 wedges, added 5 degrees of launch angle and lost 3000 rpm of spin out of the rough. The SM4 wedges added three grooves to the face (from 14 to 17) to return the launch angle back to where it was with the now non-conforming SM2 wedges. But the SM4s are still 1500 rpm short of the SM2's spin standard out of the rough.

“We’re always looking at different metals, different shapes and different face textures and patterns to get the spin back,” Vokey said. “But the USGA and R&A did their homework.”

Even though shots hit with wedges with the new grooves have less spin, they react more consistently for talented wedge players. This has forced players to plan their wedge shots with a bias toward trajectory instead of spin, making sole configuration even more crucial.

One way Vokey said his wedges can improve is by offering more lofts and more sole configurations, which will help players further dial in their wedge fitting. He sees more options, not less, as a key for serious golfers to improve their score.

“I would love to design the perfect wedge before I go to the fairway in the sky,” Vokey said. “But I don’t know if I’ll ever make it. Every wedge I look at I say, God, I know I can do better. And I keep trying.”

10 wedge tips from Bob Vokey

Bob Vokey defines a serious golfer as someone who is dedicated to the game.

"You can be a serious golfer and not break 90 or 100," he says.

Here's 10 tips that Vokey offered to help serious golfers. They'll help everyone, whether you're playing to beat your buddies or beat the world.

• The lofts of your wedges should have gaps of 4 to 6 degrees -- no more, no less.
  • Golfers come in three types: diggers (high bounce), sliders (low bounce) and neutral (medium bounce). When being fit, start with a neutral wedge and go from there.
  • You probably need more bounce.
  • Know what wedges you really need to hit. If you play on courses with fast, elevated greens surrounded by pot bunkers, you probably need a 60-degree wedge. If you play courses with slow, flat greens, you might be able to get away with a 56-degree as your highest loft.
  • Wedges are the only clubs that golfers use in the open position. Choose one that looks good when it sits square and when you open it up.
  • Play a shaft in your sand and/or lob wedge that allows for the proper feedback. Vokey has had success fitting average golfers into True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 shafts, which give the right amount of feedback but are firm enough for a full shot for most golfers.
  • Pitching wedge replacements (46, 48, 50) are designed with the loft of a pitching wedge but the versatility of a scoring wedge. They won't go as far as the wedges from your iron set and that's OK. If you want them to go further, opt for less loft.
  • Wedges wear to your swing print. A new wedge will not feel the same as the old wedge because you've got to break it in.
  • Practice more from 125 yards and in. Most golfers will never swing like Adam Scott, but according to Vokey, with practice they can execute the same wedge shots he can.
  • Another reason to practice wedges -- a tour player hits 13 to 14 greens per round. The average golfer hits only 6 or 7. That means wedge play is more important for average golfers than it is for tour players.

Click here to see photos from Vokey WedgeWorks. Photos include custom Vokey tour wedges and the machines used to make them.

Note: This article was edited to clarify that Vokey's SM3 wedges lost 3000 rpm of spin out of the rough when compared to the now non-conforming SM2 wedges. The article previously stated that the SM4 lost 3000 rpm of spin when compared to the SM2 wedges. The SM4 wedges lost approximately 1500 rpm of spin when compared to the SM2 wedges.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of fun to read Zak. Very nicey constructed and super informative!

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Great read, thanks for the post.

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Rogue White 130 70x / Adams F11 15* Aldila VS Proto 85s

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Cleveland 588h 23* Ozik Altus

Adams DHY 27* / King Cobra Forged CB 6-P Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

Great article and oh so true. I've experimented with 4* bounce wedges and they SUCKED for my game. Dig city under soft conditions. Went up to around 10 or 11 and they flat out work for my digger style of wedge play.

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

That was a good Titleist read. Offering various sole grinds seems to have resurged since Scratch moved in to the general retail space. It seems like for years before Scratch came on you had to pick a loft and basic bounce - if you wanted a different sole grind in the same loft you had to search various brands rather than staying within one brand. Just proves Scratch's product models even more.

I played a Vokey 60-4 for a few years thinking that was the club that allowed for high flops... until I found my PWE 60 with 13° of bounce by Scratch. Learning to use high bounce with loads of heel and toe grind allowed me to attack more aggressively and use the club rather than my hands so much.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Well, this has got me thinking. It sounds like I need to "have more bounce" along with a "grind". Not sure what grind would work best.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

[quote name='Willie Malay' timestamp='1356719754' post='6129833']
I got some new Cleveland CG16 irons While they are great clubs from the fairway and about everywhere else, they are not good at all around the green. Why? Thick sole. I bought some Vokeys. Problem solved.
[/quote]

Did you buy Vokeys irons then or what? Since you are comparing a CG16 [i]iron set [/i]to Vokey [i]wedges[/i]? Are you also saying all Vokeys have narrow and all Cleveland wedges have thick soles? Confusing post

Nice review and I have found that I can use different bounces depending on the conditions of the course (wet, firm, etc) and now I have a few sets to match the conditions. Everything else is the same with them (shafts, lofts, etc) but the bounce is the major difference and it really makes a difference in my scoring.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1356747858' post='6132067']
That was a good Titleist read. Offering various sole grinds seems to have resurged since Scratch moved in to the general retail space. It seems like for years before Scratch came on you had to pick a loft and basic bounce - if you wanted a different sole grind in the same loft you had to search various brands rather than staying within one brand. Just proves Scratch's product models even more.

I played a Vokey 60-4 for a few years thinking that was the club that allowed for high flops... until I found my PWE 60 with 13° of bounce by Scratch. Learning to use high bounce with loads of heel and toe grind allowed me to attack more aggressively and use the club rather than my hands so much.
[/quote]

LOL

To your point, there was a respected Professional at a club fitting seminar I attended several years ago. He said he loved it when somebody insisted on buying a 60.04 because he knew within a few weeks he would also be selling him a 60* with more bounce. He said the very low bounce wedges were for "experts" only who really knew what they were doing. I've bought and promoted the highest bounce wedges ever since...

Those Scratch clubs are gorgeous.

Cheers,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thanks a bunch, Zak! Great review. I've known that loft/bounce are so important to matching your game/swing, and finding the right wedge is paramount. Since I've gamed my TVD 58*, I've been able to be much more confident in my shot selection! Also, the SM4s are AWESOME - great launch and spin. Didn't even try the C-C as I had heard they really messed up the launch and spin.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356789034' post='6133291']

[/quote]

LOL

To your point, there was a respected Professional at a club fitting seminar I attended several years ago. He said he loved it when somebody insisted on buying a 60.04 because he knew within a few weeks he would also be selling him a 60* with more bounce. He said the very low bounce wedges were for "experts" only who really knew what they were doing. I've bought and promoted the highest bounce wedges ever since...

Cheers,
Kevin
[/quote]

Nice to get confirmation sometimes it is just the arrow!

Kevin, could I impose to ask your opinion on my setup in respect of your suggestion to get the highest bounce?

I play most of my shots 60 yards in with my Vokey 56/11, that I've come to love. I never liked my 52/08 (that may be the bounce issue) and much prefer my buttery Miura PW for 3/4 shots. Lots of control and plenty of spin. I'm more of a picker than digger style player.

Later last season I purchased a 60/07, mostly as an option to better get through the hard +/or wet grainy sand I often find on the courses I play. Some lobs and chips, but that's the prime reason. Should I have got a higher bounce? I ask as I am considering replacing my 56 this year, and if do I might go 54/58 for better gaps.
Something like 54/11 (54/14??) and 58/08 (58/11??).

Thanks.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1356791316' post='6133397']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356789034' post='6133291']

[/quote]

LOL

Cheers,
Kevin
[/quote]

Nice to get confirmation sometimes it is just the arrow!

Kevin, could I impose to ask your opinion on my setup in respect of your suggestion to get the highest bounce?

I play most of my shots 60 yards in with my Vokey 56/11, that I've come to love. I never liked my 52/08 (that may be the bounce issue) and much prefer my buttery Miura PW for 3/4 shots. Lots of control and plenty of spin. I'm more of a picker than digger style player.

Later last season I purchased a 60/07, mostly as an option to better get through the hard +/or wet grainy sand I often find on the courses I play. Some lobs and chips, but that's the prime reason. Should I have got a higher bounce? I ask as I am considering replacing my 56 this year, and if do I might go 54/58 for better gaps.
Something like 54/11 (54/14??) and 58/08 (58/11??).

Thanks.
[/quote]

myspinonit, my apologies if this sounds like a copout...

We all fit using guidelines, but those guidelines are never set in concrete. You have to get what works for you!

The best advise I can give is to find a serious fitter who has LOTS of demos in every loft and bounce. It may be hard to find. As big as I am on fitting, my club doesn't sell a lot of clubs, and I can't afford to stock a ton of demos.

IMO, you need to first nail down your pitching wedge and lob wedge, and gap fit from there. You need to decide not only the distance you want out of each wedge, but it's purpose. Will you be using your Lob Wedge as your primary sand club, or your Sand Wedge?

Personally, I loved the 60* when playing and practicing a lot, but lost confidence with it when I quit practicing. Also, I enjoy 4* gaps now that I don't play or practice as much, but many who have great feel like 6* gaps.

My advice? Demo all variations and go with the highest bounce you are confident with from all lies. Sorry I can't nail it down more than that.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356792647' post='6133467']

We all fit using guidelines, but those guidelines are never set in concrete. You have to get what works for you!

The best advise I can give is to find a serious fitter who has LOTS of demos in every loft and bounce. It may be hard to find. As big as I am on fitting, my club doesn't sell a lot of clubs, and I can't afford to stock a ton of demos.

[b]IMO, you need to first nail down your pitching wedge and lob wedge, and gap fit from there. You need to decide not only the distance you want out of each wedge, but it's purpose. Will you be using your Lob Wedge as your primary sand club, or your Sand Wedge?[/b]

Personally, I loved the 60* when playing and practicing a lot, but lost confidence with it when I quit practicing. Also, I enjoy 4* gaps now that I don't play or practice as much, but many who have great feel like 6* gaps.

My advice? Demo all variations and go with the highest bounce you are confident with from all lies. Sorry I can't nail it down more than that.

Kevin
[/quote]
Thanks, Kevin. Actually my question was probably the "copout", putting you a bit on the spot to generalize for my specific situation. Thank you for good suggestions and the sentences I've bolded are particularly helpful to start my quest.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Interesting point Donahoo makes about wedge shaft flex: same shaft in the gap wedge, and softer shafts in the 55* and 60* wedges. I've been using the standard wedge flex in all of my wedges from gap to lob. Donahoo's advice is worth a try for me in trying to improve my wedge play. I use an R flex Dynamic Gold (or 5.0 in Project X flighted) in my irons.

Anyone out there doing what Donahoo suggests?

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1356793215' post='6133503']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356792647' post='6133467']

[b]IMO, you need to first nail down your pitching wedge and lob wedge, and gap fit from there. You need to decide not only the distance you want out of each wedge, but it's purpose. Will you be using your Lob Wedge as your primary sand club, or your Sand Wedge?[/b]

Kevin
[/quote]
Thanks, Kevin. Actually my question was probably the "copout", putting you a bit on the spot to generalize for my specific situation. Thank you for good suggestions and the sentences I've bolded are particularly helpful to start my quest.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.
[/quote]

ANYTIME. Happy New Year to you as well!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

This is a great read, for all those who wonder why Vokeys are played so much on tour this should clarify. For all those who insist having a forged wedge wedge, for the sake of it being forged read this thread. Sole grind and bounce are where it is at....the tour pros and people like Bob Vokey know the real deal, and it is a properly fit wedge.....not the manner in which the metal is formed.

I use a 58.12 as my go-to wedge, I used an 58.08 for many years and I will use it occasionally if the turf is very firm, but always err on the side of more bounce not less. I have a buddy who is a good player, great striker with the irons and long. He has a 60.04 and will chunk at least 1 or 2 shots a round, he can't get over the fact he needs more bounce.

It took me many years of trial and error, lots of money and frustration but on my own I came to the same conclusions Bob outlined in this thread, I wish I would have read this 20 years ago I would have gotten better much quicker.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

In plain English, can someone explain the different sole grinds for Vokey wedges? It looks like the M grind would be a “standard” go to type over some of the others. Maybe the S would work.

I will be going to a 54 / 58 setup. Looking at
- 54.11 with the M grind as my primary sand wedge.
- 58.09 with the S grind as a lob wedge. Mybe I should go with the 58.12 with a M grind.

The course that I play on is very wet in the spring and dry in the summer and fall. The bunkers usually have hard / wet sand.

Thoughts on this selection?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12