How was GOLFWRX Created? (Answer on bottom of pg 1)

scratchswinger

[quote name='Hattori Hanzo' timestamp='1356733232' post='6130985']
I think stage has some pretty interesting stories about how it all got started...hopefully he'll chime in!
[/quote]

JW has given a pretty good Cliff's Notes version.

I'd expand on some stories about Captain Thumbring and the Boy Wonder, but I promised Richard that I'd try and curtail my language. And that's hard for me to do when I'm writing about that ****ing **** ***** ***** ***** **** ****** ****ing **** ****ing piece of ****. :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

BTW, a prize for the first person that PMs me what that would have said had I not replaced the words with ****.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1356760547' post='6132773']
I think stage has some pretty interesting stories about how it all got started...hopefully he'll chime in!
[/quote]

I'd expand on some stories about Captain Thumbring and the Boy Wonder, but I promised Richard that I'd try and curtail my language. And that's hard for me to do when I'm writing about that ****ing **** ***** ***** ***** **** ****** ****ing **** ****ing piece of ****. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I remember you and Rob talking about that guy on the texas trip, Id never even heard of the place before then

Wow, I didn't realize I had been a member here so long! Nothing to do with the history but I remember all the "problems" associated with the other sites. I believe I just followed the bouncing ball to this site after being members elsewhere. I'm sure if we started a poll asking what web board you came from to here, a lot of us have the same history.

Let's keep a good thing going here!

[quote name='Jag80' timestamp='1356788433' post='6133269']
Wow, I didn't realize I had been a member here so long! Nothing to do with the history but I remember all the "problems" associated with the other sites. I believe I just followed the bouncing ball to this site after being members elsewhere. I'm sure if we started a poll asking what web board you came from to here, a lot of us have the same history.

Let's keep a good thing going here!
[/quote]

For sure! It isnt an option for us. Ryan, myself, the Mods and staff all feel the responsibility to keep this as it was and is. We want this to be a place you are proud to be affiliated with. We cant please everyone all the time, but if you know our motives it helps you understand what motivates us.

I say this often to members but it is true.... we work for the members. We are here for the members and our decisions are always made to please the membership as a whole for the long run.

When we think about how or what we should do in certain situations... all we do is think about it from a members perspective and the answer is black and white in most cases.

Thanks for sharing, Richard. Always good to remember the past and where GolfWrx came from.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I have apparently been here since Jan 2006 but don't remember how I got here the first time. I don't post a lot but am on here almost everyday as it is my go to golf site. I remember the Golf Channel Forums and what a mess they were and visited BSG a few times.

My early experience on hobby sites was in 1999 through about 2004 on the Bass Fishing Home Page when all I did was fish and had all but given up the game I grew up with (golf). That site looks today like it did in 1999/2000.

I glad to have this site to go to and thank Richard and Ryan for their commitmment to keep this place to go for golf info and for continuing to reinvest in the site.

This would be good day to re up my Club WRX membership. I think I'll do that now.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1356760547' post='6132773']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can remember when you and a bunch of otehr guys were really frustrated. I can't remember the specifics but I do remember there was mutiny on the bounty. The model of profiteering off of the members was broken.

I will never forget throwing in a hail mary and calling BH once. He took my call and I told him to stop selling and make his $ with the "insiders" subscription. I told him the model was dysfunctional and wont last. His reply was "cant happen".

GolfWRX was started then. It was a seed in my head. I reached out to Speeder617 (Art) and Joe Kwok. I wanted to get 5 guys to do this with me. At teh End I was the only one that ponied up the $ to get it going. Then Ryan ponied up to. We were in some serious debt. It took us years to dig out of that but worth it. Ryan and I both have good careers and could afford some cash but we wernt a bank.

I was (and still am) obsessed. Simply obsessed to make this work. Honestly... all of it was to protect us as a whole from the evil empire. LOL. Laugh but it is true. It is crazy to look back.

Thank god my wife was cool about it. By son was 6 and my daughter was 4 when we started. I was always sneaking over to the computer. There was most nights when my wife would be watching TV and I would be off the the right on this old crappy circular wood table that I worked on. Crappy internet and a worst chair. She always wondered why I was doing it and thought I was off.

I still work as hard as I did. Now 46 years old and my boy is 13 and my girl is 11. They are with in 15 feet of me as I type.

Driven then to create a playground for us and driven today to improve the same playground. Always thinking of threats to it and how to make it better so you dont ever ever ever want to leave.

Richard :)

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1356790972' post='6133381']
Thanks for sharing, Richard. Always good to remember the past and where GolfWrx came from.
[/quote]
[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1356791106' post='6133387']
I have apparently been here since Jan 2006 but don't remember how I got here the first time. I don't post a lot but am on here almost everyday as it is my go to golf site. I remember the Golf Channel Forums and what a mess they were and visited BSG a few times.

My early experience on hobby sites was in 1999 through about 2004 on the Bass Fishing Home Page when all I did was fish and had all but given up the game I grew up with (golf). That site looks today like it did in 1999/2000.

I glad to have this site to go to and thank Richard and Ryan for their commitmment to keep this place to go for golf info and for continuing to reinvest in the site.

This would be good day to re up my Club WRX membership. I think I'll do that now.
[/quote]

Both of you are old school.

BTW... Ryan and I arnt the only one that spent hours a day. Frank, Jim, John, Kiran, Joe and then Reid (Pitbull808) yikes. Did you know for a few years Ried would wake up and somehow had a system to find out who join the past day. He would then send out a Private Message to each of them every day to welcome them. Every day. Talk about tireless commitment.

Unbelievable.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1356760622' post='6132779']
BTW, a prize for the first person that PMs me what that would have said had I not replaced the words with ****.
[/quote]

Do any of the words repeat?

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1356791106' post='6133387']

[/quote]

Ohh... Ryan and I still today as the site is above water spend 100% of anything the place makes back into the site. We have had an opening for 1 and now maybe 2 programmers. Ryan and I dont even draw a salary over our expenses. Come to think about it.... someone should knock some sense in me for that.

Again we do fine with out it. If and when we would be dependent of $ from WRX is when we start to think differently. We want to build and create! Not harvest.

Viva WRX

Easyyy- thank you for the reply and sharing the incredible story. I am sure I speak for many of us when I say much respect to you, your family, GX, his family, Kwok and all the others that sacrificed and worked hard to give us what we have today.

I remember joing in 07 when a link in Golf Digest brought me here. Before that I would spent countless hours looking at The Hot List, reading reviews on TGW (yes The Golf Warehouse) basically I was starving and desperate for equipment information. I remember lurking for a few days and then stumbling onto JHR's WITB (any young bucks that don't know who JHR is, you need to look it up). I believe at the time you needed a membership to view pictures and the rest is history.

You guys achieved your mission to create an inviroment where dimple heads like us can share unbiased opinions, meet great people and just hang. Mission accomplished!

PS: can I call you Y3? way easier to type on a IPad.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1356793633' post='6133537']
Easyyy- thank you for the reply and sharing the incredible story. I am sure I speak for many of us when I say much respect to you, your family, GX, his family, Kwok and all the others that sacrificed and worked hard to give us what we have today.

I remember joing in 07 when a link in Golf Digest brought me here. Before that I would spent countless hours looking at The Hot List, reading reviews on TGW (yes The Golf Warehouse) basically I was starving and desperate for equipment information. I remember lurking for a few days and then stumbling onto JHR's WITB (any young bucks that don't know who JHR is, you need to look it up). I believe at the time you needed a membership to view pictures and the rest is history.

You guys achieved your mission to create an inviroment where dimple heads like us can share unbiased opinions, meet great people and just hang. Mission accomplished!

PS: can I call you Y3? way easier to type on a IPad.
[/quote]

Yes you can. I might change my screen name to it soon!

Thank you for the kind words!

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356791736' post='6133419']
I can remember when you and a bunch of otehr guys were really frustrated. I can't remember the specifics but I do remember there was mutiny on the bounty. The model of profiteering off of the members was broken.

I will never forget throwing in a hail mary and calling BH once. He took my call and I told him to stop selling and make his $ with the "insiders" subscription. I told him the model was dysfunctional and wont last. His reply was "cant happen".

GolfWRX was started then. It was a seed in my head. I reached out to Speeder617 (Art) and Joe Kwok. I wanted to get 5 guys to do this with me. At teh End I was the only one that ponied up the $ to get it going. Then Ryan ponied up to. We were in some serious debt. It took us years to dig out of that but worth it. Ryan and I both have good careers and could afford some cash but we wernt a bank.

I was (and still am) obsessed. Simply obsessed to make this work. Honestly... all of it was to protect us as a whole from the evil empire. LOL. Laugh but it is true. It is crazy to look back.

Thank god my wife was cool about it. By son was 6 and my daughter was 4 when we started. I was always sneaking over to the computer. There was most nights when my wife would be watching TV and I would be off the the right on this old crappy circular wood table that I worked on. Crappy internet and a worst chair. She always wondered why I was doing it and thought I was off.

I still work as hard as I did. Now 46 years old and my boy is 13 and my girl is 11. They are with in 15 feet of me as I type.

Driven then to create a playground for us and driven today to improve the same playground. Always thinking of threats to it and how to make it better so you dont ever ever ever want to leave.

[/quote]

I loved it over there and fought you guys far too long. I can't believe how blind I was to what was happening...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356794184' post='6133581']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356791736' post='6133419']

[/quote]

I loved it over there and fought you guys far too long. I can't believe how blind I was to what was happening...
[/quote]

Hold on now. All the big dogs are rolling in here.

Yea... I can remember doing the same. I also remember my loyalty switching from Golf Opinions to BSG. I held on strong till I couldnt take it any longer. Then I was all BSG till things got stupid. It seems crazy to some but after you spend hours, days, weeks... hundreds of threads and more posts you (I) was invested. I felt as if I was part of it. To leave meant leaving all that work and text. My profile and everything.

That is exactly why we feel the burden to maintain excellence here. To protect the interests and all the history invested by all of our members. 3 days old or 8 years old. Time is time and hopefully that time will be preserved forever online.

BTW... did you know GolfWRX bought Golf Opinions a few years ago. She is live. We did it to preserve some history.

R

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356795363' post='6133655']
BTW... did you know GolfWRX bought Golf Opinions a few years ago. She is live. We did it to preserve some history.

R
[/quote]

I had no idea!

Re: the investment of time. No Sh*t Sherlock!!! :-)

This place quickly became a huge part of my golfing life. A few years ago, I made a mistake, and it was rightly taken away for awhile. That was no fun, and I won't let it happen again, even if I need to be nice to Stage... :-)

Just kidding, Stage and I have had our differences (Scotty Cameron). But I respect his views on everything else. :-) Cheers!!!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356796670' post='6133747']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356795363' post='6133655']

R
[/quote]

I had no idea!

Re: the investment of time. No Sh*t Sherlock!!! :-)

This place quickly became a huge part of my golfing life. A few years ago, I made a mistake, and it was rightly taken away for awhile. That was no fun, and I won't let it happen again, even if I need to be nice to Stage... :-)

Just kidding, Stage and I have had our differences (Scotty Cameron). But I respect his views on everything else. :-) Cheers!!!
[/quote]

If you dont have a difference with Stage from time to time, you are either his lemming or he went passive aggressive. He and I have each other on our favorites on the cell phone now since we butt heads from time to time.

Even though Stage steps on the line of acceptability in posting I feel it is my (or ours as a community) obligation to reach out and try to keep the peace enough to preserve our relationship. Four tours in Vietnam together creates an odd internet friendship. Just because it is odd doesnt make is anything but REAL. We all have bonds here. Not the same as a face to face but in ways even stronger. Our bond is our passion and our vested time here. I respect that and always want to protect it.

Guys that contribute and new and old are important, but the veterans that have become disenchanted for reasons need to be heard to. I want the Mods and Admins to never close their minds. Stay openminded, honest and will to listen. They say when you have you finger pointed at someone you have three pointed back at you.

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356802590' post='6134227']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356801794' post='6134153']
Four tours in Vietnam together creates an odd internet friendship.
[/quote]

I had no idea there either. HUGE props to you both!!!
[/quote]

Ohh crap. That was a figure of speech. I meant 4 tour in nam like the forums wars. Opps. I am not a vet. I should have choose different words

did you guys see I changed my avatar to the old 2004 one?

My avatar has remained the same from BSG to today. Didn't have one at GO.

I remember that Cleveland driver. It was good back then, but still no match for the R510TP "Titanium on the toe" heads. (Tour issue, of course.laugh-1.gif) Backed up by the Royal Collection Super CV B.B.D. Type-H 3-wood, Lehman Box Toe irons, and Cleveland 588 Black "TG" wedges. Sigh.

Problem was, reviews on some of those were deleted. And prices on some were $2,500.00! And if you didn't like it, you were banned until the year 2036. Seriously.

So R & R changed one word: "...for profit" became "...for the golfer", and GolfWRX was born.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1356805703' post='6134447']
I remember that Cleveland driver. It was good back then, but still no match for the R510TP "Titanium on the toe" heads. (Tour issue, of course.
[/quote]

As I remember, any driver could be made GREAT with a lime green shaft... :-)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1356808740' post='6134619']
[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1356805703' post='6134447']
I remember that Cleveland driver. It was good back then, but still no match for the R510TP "Titanium on the toe" heads. (Tour issue, of course.
[/quote]

As I remember, any driver could be made GREAT with a lime green shaft... :-)
[/quote]

They would put a Lime Ozik in anything over there, for at least a grand. I could not then nor can I now fathom all that scrilla on one club. But that is what is great about this place, everything gets reviewed, everything gets rated, and even the cheaper options get mentioned. I couldn't hang out here otherwise, but Y3, Gx, and all the crew have been nothing short of excellent here. I remember getting that PM from Pitbull and then checking out his WITB full of clubs I had never heard of. Good times. Thanks.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

Wait, there's a place that sells lime green Oziks fora G note? Why the heck am i wasting time here? I am outty 5000 bros.

time to make it rain! Please tell me they have tour only heads that will lower my spin rate by 2000rpm, and then give me directions to said site

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1356792172' post='6133445']
[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1356760622' post='6132779']
[/quote]

Do any of the words repeat?
[/quote]

No. And you will only solve the puzzle if you have knowledge of the "Fat Ba$tard."

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356801794' post='6134153']
...If you dont have a difference with Stage from time to time, you are either his lemming or he went passive aggressive. He and I have each other on our favorites on the cell phone now since we butt heads from time to time.

Even though Stage steps on the line of acceptability in posting I feel it is my (or ours as a community) obligation to reach out and try to keep the peace enough to preserve our relationship. Four tours in Vietnam together creates an odd internet friendship. Just because it is odd doesnt make is anything but REAL. We all have bonds here. Not the same as a face to face but in ways even stronger. Our bond is our passion and our vested time here. I respect that and always want to protect it...
[/quote]

Geez, this is getting sappy. I may need to post something over the line just to feel comfortable here. I do enjoy tapdancing on the line and making light of some subjects because the internet is "serious f**king business" too often. I love playing the double entendres that golf has because who here hasn't looked at the cute beverage cart girl lecherously at least once?

Since I've had a few PMs asking for some detail, I'll give my point of view. The other site had one huge asset that was underutilized: the membership. You had Tour players, mini Tour players, OEM employees in disguise, and a lot of very smart clubbuilders. And that was before you even got to the members that were just golfers that had a passion for the game and the gear.

The problem the other site had was if someone came in with knowledge about product, they were silenced unless the site owner could get access to sell. Threads here like the Cobra L4V thread would NEVER have been allowed to happen over there. The site wouldn't allow someone like Will Peoples, Frank Viola, Joe Kwok, or other Tour sources to exist. As more Tour sources became public knowledge, the censorship tightened on the site.

In the end, that site became all about the money. It's part of the reason I'm so disgusted by flippers and profiteers to this day. You saw people being sold driver/shaft combinations that were obviously poor fitting based on the rest of their bag. So many untipped X shafts in the bags of players that should have been playing a properly tipped stiff. Claims that poor performing heads like R5, R7 460, and Titleist 907 were some of the LOWEST spinning heads. Claims that one of the mods had a 1.65 smash factor. Claims of 190+ ballspeed from a guy that has never been witnessed to break 80 by anyone that wasn't his friend or a moderator. Look at the WRX trips that some of our members have been lucky enough to experience. We represent by dressing in smart golf attire. That clown showed up at an OEM wearing a track suit and mandals.

This all coincided with the bannings. The group that would go on to form Golf Discussions. The group that would go on to form GolfWRX. My group was exiled in 2007. I was banned because I chose to keep in contact with someone the site owner didn't like. He kicked me off the site for something that I posted on another forum that later turned out to be 100% true.

I've since settled into WRX and one site that has a deeper dedication to putters. I'm much more critical of products that favor style over substance thanks to Lime Green. I have no tolerance for people that only care to try and sell or make money without participating on the forums or being a sponsor. There's a site for that behavior and it's called eBay. I love to talk about club building, the engineering and design of equipment and what makes it perform, and the game in general.

The one thing Richard understands is that our membership is what makes the site special. The old site forgot that and they are now sucking wind for traffic. As long as the forums stay strong, the site will stay strong as well.

We definitely need to arrange an outing/BBQ in 2036 when all of our 9999 day bannings finally drop off the other site.

Richard,

As one of the old timers who are still around, I'm glad this site is here. It's where I go at home, work, on my phone, iPad, everywhere. I've had experiences that I'll never forget and friends I'll have for a lifetime.It's my home. It's given me more than I ever gave it. :)

And for the record, the Cleveland Launcher Comp was one of the best drivers I've ever used. :D

Tommy

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!