NFL Rookie of the year?

JBurns

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357569404' post='6182829']
it's gotta be RG3. he's been one of the few faces of the league, let alone the franchise, in 2012. By the numbers, wilson is impressive. but i haven't turned on the TV or radio in the last month without someone talking about how great RG3 is. i'm pretty sure the award is not "rookie with the best stats." It's Rookie of the Year. If you could pick one rookie player who you think was the highlight of the year, it's RG3.

my opinion.
[/quote]

Thats what I was talking about. The media has worn RG3 kneepads since day one and have been raving about it all year. Wilson wont win it though I think he deserves it because he plays out west and nobody talked about him all year. Often time rookie with the best stats coincide with rookie of the year. Hype and name mentions in the media mean nothing. PLay on the field (ex:stats) do.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could make the case for Luck or RG3 but not Wilson. Seattle has a much better team, one of the top defenses, and a pretty good O-line. Luck if anyone, has one of the worst o-lines in all of football, has record for 4th qtr comebacks, and a pretty awful D, and other than Wayne a bunch of nobodys as WR, not to mention the head coach was out all year

Flip Luck and Wilson and Wilson wouldn't even have sniffed the playoffs. I'm not a Colts fan so don't blame bias.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

it's gotta be RG3. he's been one of the few faces of the league, let alone the franchise, in 2012. By the numbers, wilson is impressive. [b]but i haven't turned on the TV or radio in the last month without someone talking about how great RG3 is[/b]. i'm pretty sure the award is not "rookie with the best stats." It's Rookie of the Year. If you could pick one rookie player who you think was the highlight of the year, it's RG3.

my opinion.
[/quote]

Apparently by your standards Mark Sanchez and Tebow should share co-MVP.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1357575427' post='6183345']
it's gotta be RG3. he's been one of the few faces of the league, let alone the franchise, in 2012. By the numbers, wilson is impressive. [b]but i haven't turned on the TV or radio in the last month without someone talking about how great RG3 is[/b]. i'm pretty sure the award is not "rookie with the best stats." It's Rookie of the Year. If you could pick one rookie player who you think was the highlight of the year, it's RG3.

my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

MVP is "most valuable player." Not "most talked about player." My standards dont change. What is the award intended to honor? If it's for the "most valuable player," then how in world are either of those guys be within the definition of "most valuable?" don't be a moron.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357575582' post='6183353']

my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

MVP is "most valuable player." Not "most talked about player." My standards dont change. What is the award intended to honor? If it's for the "most valuable player," then how in world are either of those guys be within the definition of "most valuable?" don't be a moron.
[/quote]

I think you slightly missed his point....

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1357575140' post='6183311']
it's gotta be RG3. he's been one of the few faces of the league, let alone the franchise, in 2012. By the numbers, wilson is impressive. but i haven't turned on the TV or radio in the last month without someone talking about how great RG3 is. i'm pretty sure the award is not "rookie with the best stats." It's Rookie of the Year. If you could pick one rookie player who you think was the highlight of the year, it's RG3.

my opinion.
[/quote]

Thats what I was talking about. The media has worn RG3 kneepads since day one and have been raving about it all year. Wilson wont win it though I think he deserves it because he plays out west and nobody talked about him all year. Often time rookie with the best stats coincide with rookie of the year.
[/quote]

it's not just wilson. no one has talked about luck either. RG3 is a breath of fresh air because he's a great kid and he's having great success. not to say that luck or wilson aren't, but RG3 had that whole thing with shanihan where shanihan said they're playing for next year and RG3 proceeded to run and pass his team to the NFC east championship. doing it in the nation's capital is an advantage without a doubt. but if there were someone playing for the giants doing something similar, we wouldn't be talking about RG3 either. just like with jeremy lin--the media centers will jump on a story that's close to home. he made the most of an opportunity--and, if he had failed, it would have been worse for him than it would've been for luck or wilson failing. we're just in a unique position where all of these guys are playing great.

RG3 has become a face of the league in some ways. peyton manning wins MVPs because he's peyton manning, not necessarily because he's really the most irreplaceable player in the league. There are a select few guys who are just faces of the league. AP, peyton, tom brady, drew brees, eli, aaron rodgers, ray lewis, polamolu...these are the guys who will get the awards--but remember, they also take the criticism when things go south. manning's shoulder surgery was daily news for months (unfortunately). I'm sure he would've liked for that to go away. there's a tradeoff, in my mind, where these guys not only get the benefit of their stature but also bear the weight of it. look at cam newton and how horribly that has gone in year 2 after being the face of hte league last year. it ebbs and flows.

RG3 is no exception. his stature as QB of a franchise at the center of the nation's attention both a benefit and a burden that is immesurable in statistics. flip russel wilson and RG3, and it's the same debate in reverse. There's just not the same pressure playing in seattle as there is in DC. how do you measure that in a player's numbers? you can't. IMO, "rookie of the year" is the guy who has captured the most attention this year by performing at a very high level. it doesn't mean the guy with the best stats. it's the guy who raised eyebrows and caught attention for the things he did. i'm not a fan of any of these organizations, so i'm not biased on this. i think the award goes to RG3--and rightfully so--because he's been the biggest media grab, whether that's fair to wilson and luck or not.

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1357576091' post='6183407']

my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i didn't miss anything. i never said the MVP award has anything to do with who gets talked about the most. he's trying to extrapolate my statement "[b]but i haven't turned on the TV or radio in the last month without someone talking about how great RG3 is[/b]" to mean that all awards should be based on who gets talked about on ESPN, which is definitively [u]not [/u]what i said. i think YOU missed the point.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357576404' post='6183433']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1357575140' post='6183311']

my opinion.
[/quote]

Thats what I was talking about. The media has worn RG3 kneepads since day one and have been raving about it all year. Wilson wont win it though I think he deserves it because he plays out west and nobody talked about him all year. Often time rookie with the best stats coincide with rookie of the year.
[/quote]

it's not just wilson. no one has talked about luck either. RG3 is a breath of fresh air because he's a great kid and he's having great success. not to say that luck or wilson aren't, but RG3 had that whole thing with shanihan where shanihan said they're playing for next year and RG3 proceeded to run and pass his team to the NFC east championship. doing it in the nation's capital is an advantage without a doubt. but if there were someone playing for the giants doing something similar, we wouldn't be talking about RG3 either. just like with jeremy lin--the media centers will jump on a story that's close to home. he made the most of an opportunity--and, if he had failed, it would have been worse for him than it would've been for luck or wilson failing. we're just in a unique position where all of these guys are playing great.

RG3 has become a face of the league in some ways. peyton manning wins MVPs because he's peyton manning, not necessarily because he's really the most irreplaceable player in the league. There are a select few guys who are just faces of the league. AP, peyton, tom brady, drew brees, eli, aaron rodgers, ray lewis, polamolu...these are the guys who will get the awards--but remember, they also take the criticism when things go south. manning's shoulder surgery was daily news for months (unfortunately). I'm sure he would've liked for that to go away. there's a tradeoff, in my mind, where these guys not only get the benefit of their stature but also bear the weight of it. look at cam newton and how horribly that has gone in year 2 after being the face of hte league last year. it ebbs and flows.

RG3 is no exception. his stature as QB of a franchise at the center of the nation's attention both a benefit and a burden that is immesurable in statistics. flip russel wilson and RG3, and it's the same debate in reverse. There's just not the same pressure playing in seattle as there is in DC. how do you measure that in a player's numbers? you can't. IMO, "rookie of the year" is the guy who has captured the most attention this year by performing at a very high level. it doesn't mean the guy with the best stats. it's the guy who raised eyebrows and caught attention for the things he did. i'm not a fan of any of these organizations, so i'm not biased on this. i think the award goes to RG3--and rightfully so--because he's been the biggest media grab, whether that's fair to wilson and luck or not.
[/quote]

I live in DC, so believe me I have been hearing the RG3 saga since the start....alot of it is overblown. Wilson and Luck are no worse people than RG3 is, and have had great seasons in their own right and situations. Thats what hoosier was saying, the media grab thing has nothing to do with play....its whoever the media wants to grab onto because its a story (thus the Tebow/Sanchez comment). I think the point of the awards should be play only and media is irrelevant.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357576491' post='6183445']

my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i didn't miss anything. i never said the MVP award has anything to do with who gets talked about the most. he's trying to extrapolate my statement "[b]but i haven't turned on the TV or radio in the last month without someone talking about how great RG3 is[/b]" to mean that all awards should be based on who gets talked about on ESPN, which is definitively [u]not [/u]what i said. i think YOU missed the point.
[/quote]

I know you say that and get your overall point, but you are also talking alot about media markets, grabbing the medias attention, media being focused on him all year etc as being factored into the decision...thats I think why hoosier went an said what he did.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1357578532' post='6183635']

my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know you say that and get your overall point, but you are also talking alot about media markets, grabbing the medias attention, media being focused on him all year etc as being factored into the decision...thats I think why hoosier went an said what he did.
[/quote]

media DOES matter when it comes to rookie of the year. it should not matter when talking about MVP. as I said initially, look at what the award is intended to honor. Rookie of the Year is an award for the person you can title as "of the year." meaning, whose face will we look back on 20 years from now and remember? if russel wilson wins a super bowl, we might think of him. but the postseason isn't supposed to matter. at this stage, the person who we associate with 2012-2013 is RG3. He's a sensation. frankly, i think it's MORE impressive when a person comes in with high expectations and meets or exceeds them. i realize this is all my personal opinion, but i'm also not dismissing someone else by falsely generalizing his or her opinion to the point of absurdity, as hoosier was doing with my original post. my point was, and always is, to ask what the award is there for. MVP is about numbers, wins, value to the team, etc. Rookie of the Year is definitely about those things, but it brings in more intangibles as well. leadership, publicity, expectations, historical context. my quote about the media with RG3 is that i haven't heard a single negative thing about him all year. there isn't a person i've heard that says "i just don't like the guy." ever. that of itself is impressive, but moreso it's indicative that he's the person that we will look back on in 20 years and say "man...that guy..."

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357580286' post='6183765']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1357578532' post='6183635']

my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

media DOES matter when it comes to rookie of the year. it should not matter when talking about MVP. as I said initially, look at what the award is intended to honor. Rookie of the Year is an award for the person you can title as "of the year." meaning, whose face will we look back on 20 years from now and remember? if russel wilson wins a super bowl, we might think of him. but the postseason isn't supposed to matter. at this stage, the person who we associate with 2012-2013 is RG3. He's a sensation. frankly, i think it's MORE impressive when a person comes in with high expectations and meets or exceeds them. i realize this is all my personal opinion, but i'm also not dismissing someone else by falsely generalizing his or her opinion to the point of absurdity, as hoosier was doing with my original post. my point was, and always is, to ask what the award is there for. MVP is about numbers, wins, value to the team, etc. Rookie of the Year is definitely about those things, but it brings in more intangibles as well. leadership, publicity, expectations, historical context. my quote about the media with RG3 is that i haven't heard a single negative thing about him all year. there isn't a person i've heard that says "i just don't like the guy." ever. that of itself is impressive, but moreso it's indicative that he's the person that we will look back on in 20 years and say "man...that guy..."
[/quote]

Ahh I hear you....Makes sense, I saw you guys moved to MVP debate but I was sticking with ROY...

I hear you and your opinion makes sense, I think at the end of the day RG3 will win. Just the midmajor grad and NFC West fan in me is used to being overlooked for awards and recognition lol. For me, ROY just means, best rookie of that year...but we all know that alot of hype and coverage has to go with it to have a shot...

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Related note...

RG3s knee appears to be severely shredded...nothing official but lots of sources and beat writers around here on twitter are saying at least acl and pcl being toast and he might not play until 2014....maybe even the trifecta with the mcl. Fred Smoot said on the radio that its severe and at least pcl and acl..... Media has been mum on it, and Shanny is giving a presser at 3pm...sounds pretty bad

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1357589310' post='6184789']
Another one of these "new wave" mobile quarterbacks goes down for the count. Give me an accurate pocket passer any day.
[/quote]

drew brees, tom brady, and peyton manning have all sustained season-ending and potentially career ending injuries at some point in their careers.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357589506' post='6184823']
Another one of these "new wave" mobile quarterbacks goes down for the count. Give me an accurate pocket passer any day.
[/quote]

drew brees, tom brady, and peyton manning have all sustained season-ending and potentially career ending injuries at some point in their careers.
[/quote]

But their play books don't include rushing plays specifically for them. The more you get hit the more likely you are to get hurt, and when you run a lot you get hit a lot.

[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1357590417' post='6184969']
[/quote]

[/quote]

But their play books don't include rushing plays specifically for them. The more you get hit the more likely you are to get hurt, and when you run a lot you get hit a lot.
[/quote]

maybe. but your statement about running QBs getting hurt more than passing QBs is not fact, which is what i was pointing out. the best pocket passers in the game have all sustained very serious injuries. it's not germane to rushing QBs--it's germane to all NFL players in general.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1357590588' post='6184997']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

maybe. but your statement about running QBs getting hurt more than passing QBs is not fact, which is what i was pointing out. the best pocket passers in the game have all sustained very serious injuries. it's not germane to rushing QBs--it's germane to all NFL players in general.
[/quote]

Understood, It may not be a fact but it's fairly evident that the best QB's in the league are not running QB's but pocket passers. Brees, Rogers, Manning, Ryan, Brady, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger. It makes you wonder if by not being a running QB it's helped sustain their success in the league by having fewer injuries. It would appear that teams are best served when their rushing totals are split between running backs and their quarterbacks are reserved for things like passing yardage.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]Except RG3 shredded his knee on a non contact play......I think youre grasping a bit. Any football player can get hurt severely any play....while running qbs can be exposed to more risk, I don't think its any worse than getting rolled up on or something like that while standing in the pocket. Just the nature of the game.. More sources saying ACL/PCL and 14-18 months recovery time...

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[/quote]

[/quote]

Neither had a head coach that left them in a game when said player was already limping on the same knee that was already damaged.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1357594314' post='6185503']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]Except RG3 shredded his knee on a non contact play......I think youre grasping a bit. Any football player can get hurt severely any play....while running qbs can be exposed to more risk, I don't think its any worse than getting rolled up on or something like that while standing in the pocket. Just the nature of the game.. More sources saying ACL/PCL and 14-18 months recovery time...
[/quote]

He hurt his knee on December 9th and continued to rush for a lot of yards, last night was just the final nail in coffin.

But their play books don't include rushing plays specifically for them. [b]The more you get hit the more likely you are to get hurt[/b], and when you run a lot you get hit a lot.
[/quote]

Exactly. That's why a good offensive line matters a whole lot more than what type of QB that you are.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2