www.TourTempo.com

The Boom Bapp

A Golfers Holy Grail
All I have to say is read Tour Tempo once, learn the simple concept and put it away, golf will never be the same once you learn how to find the correct tempo and how to count it into your game.

Visit your nearest Borders, Barnes & Noble, Bookstore, or order from the site.
Comes with CD's you can train to.

If Tiger and the rest of the worlds top golfers use TEMPO, why don't you? It is too simple to pass up.

I have read the book 5 times and it has helped me drop my Hcp from a beginning 10 to and 8 to a 4 and currently a 1. Scratch is next and Tour Tempo WILL help me get there! :fool:

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

To my INCREDIBLE surprise, my instructor (who normally HATES any kind of golf aid like this) recommended I buy Tour Tempo to help me with my downswing.

My problem is........I tend to pause at the top of the backswing, and take far too long on my downswing. He's trying to get me to make a more aggressive move down, and recommended I get this CD/Book. Big surprise.

So................does anyone know if it's possible to get this CD in .mp3 format? I really don't want to lug around a huge CD player to the range. I'm not familiar with these conversions, and required software for this.

To my INCREDIBLE surprise, my instructor (who normally HATES any kind of golf aid like this) recommended I buy Tour Tempo to help me with my downswing.

My problem is........I tend to pause at the top of the backswing, and take far too long on my downswing. He's trying to get me to make a more aggressive move down, and recommended I get this CD/Book. Big surprise.

So................does anyone know if it's possible to get this CD in .mp3 format? I really don't want to lug around a huge CD player to the range. I'm not familiar with these conversions, and required software for this.

Hey,

I've got all the tracks on my iPod. Should be no problem to covert them to mp3s with iTunes or similar software.

• 2 months later...

I did the same thing as pargolfer. i put the tracks on my ipod and actually use a speaker with a few of my students to get them into a proper tempo for them. It works the same way as a metronome does. Yet it's easier to hit track play on the ipod then to dial out the right beat.

Driver:  Titleist TSi2 9* Ventus Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15* Speeder 757 Evo II S

Utility: Titleist T-200 3 Iron Ventus Blue HB 8 S

Irons: Titleist 620CB w/ DGTI X100 4-6

Irons: Titleist 620MB w/ DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50/8F, 56/10S, 60/4T

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ 34"

Ball: Pro V1

I gave it a 4. It is very close to being the end-all-be-all golf aid/instruction manual. Actually, the only reason I held off on giving it a 5 is because of the ri-cok-ulous price they try to get for the additional CD's. It would be less to commission Danny Elfman to do an original/personalized CD with the tour tempo beats based on your personal music tastes (bonus simpson tracks included) (and obviously, I'm being slightly facetious). Almost as bad as coiling copper wire around plastic and charging $150. :) Otherwise--a very good concept, and I do own the book.

beruo

:hi:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just ordered this book this afternoon on www.amazon.com It came up as one of those gold box specials. I saved an extra $0.87. I don't know what I will do with the new found wealth.

Did anyone see the watch on the website for tour tempo?

http://206.188.209.254/index.asp?PageActio...dID=10&HS=1

It records speed, tempo and golf scores.

Did anyone see the watch on the website for tour tempo?

http://206.188.209.254/index.asp?PageActio...dID=10&HS=1

It records speed, tempo and golf scores.

Nope but that watch is on my wrist.=) Another great Finnish invention. :)

Works great, I can recommend warmly.

But my problem is that I don't know what tempo I should go for. =)

Suunto G6

As I set up, I have a couple of swing thoughts: make sure I have a one piece takeaway and that my right hand rotates back to set up. I bought this book on a whim after reading about it here and reading the synopsis on Amazon and it appeared as a gold box special.

21/7 is waaaay too fast for me for a driver, right now.

I feel comfortable with 27/9 on putting, woods, and driver.

I used my Momentus trainer while listening to the tempo and practicing at work. I proceeded to the range, listening to the CD. I went to the range and starting hitting. This is what I needed. I focused on only tempo (not mechanics, not swing thoughts, nothing else). I started hitting everything well, including my driver. This was after one practice session and trying it out for the first time. Added 10 yards to mid irons, woods and driver. It improved my ability to hit my wedges. This was one practice session.

I use the Medicus to help with tempo - since I tended to rush the takeaway, as a beginner, and chop AT the ball, as opposed to swinging through the ball. I was really happy with the Medicus. I have significantly used it to make more consistent contact and for the most part (at my level), I can hit it where I aim it - give or take a thin or fat shot.

An interesting thing that the author of this Tour Tempo book mentions is that the Medicus does not promote a TOUR TEMPO. It promotes a slow tempo.

I need to head back to the range and see if this really persists. I think this may help promote better translation from the range to the COURSE. Focusing on nothing but tempo your swing will take care of the rest.

I am shopping around for an MP3 player that is the size of a bluetooth headset and put the CD tracks into one of those.

This may be the Holy Grail of Golf. Nothing that I have read in the past has emphasized the importance of tempo and how to improve it.

There is no correct sequence for all people. There are offered different timings. You have to try it out which one fits your swing. Before buying the songs I would recommend to buy the book as a CD with the different tones is included. These tones are enough to try Tour Tempo. The songs are only for getting in the right mood before playing while you're driving to your club.

• 6 months later...

Tour Tempo is a great, short read. The theory behind it makes alot of sense, it is easy to understand, and will help just about every player.

FYI, I was spraying my driver. I listened to the tape on the way to the range, and WHAM, immediately started hitting the ball consistently.

I think it will have more immediate benefit to a low/mid handicapper looking for added consistency. It will benefit a high handicapper by probably increasing distance mostly.

I am about a 8 handicap right now and using the simple drills and practice can very easily see myself getting back to the 3-4 of my old days using this system.

I recommend not jumping into the full swing with the tempo first. First practice 3/4 or so swings until you are comfortable and then go full after that.

I am halfway through the book and have watched the videos, but so far I don't see any of the test subjects using their driver except the kids. The video does a side by side comparison of a PGA professional using a driver with the desired 3:1 backswing/downswing ratio against a mid handicapper using a five iron.

Does this system work for driver swings as well? I have yet to get to the range to test it.

tempo was the one real thing that truley helped me get my golf game to where it is today, everything was good before, but just having the right tempo made everything near perfect, having the right tempo makes it hard to miss, and makes it hard to get out of control, i myself didnt read the book or anything, but tempo was still key for my success

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I used the drills with the book and then went onto the three tempos (27/9, 24/8, 21/7) with 5 iron, 3 wood, driver to find out what works for me. 21/7 was it.

My findings were that my driver tempo was very poor, I was reaching the top in about 18 and downsing was about a 9, for 2:1 tempo. So I had to slow down the backswing to 21 and speed up the downswing to 7. And I have to say it worked very well. I have not consistently hit the driver with that ball flight before.

The funny thing was when I was warming up without the tempo tracks and my headphones on some guy across from me said to his friend "Its all about tempo" and then remarked that I had great tempo.

I put on the tracks and sure enough I was using a 5 iron and was 2:1. I played the tunes and started to get in line with the 3:1 somewhat and the guy said "now he's really going at it". The slower backswing and quicker downswing felt smoother after 15 minutes. I'm sold.

This may very well be the last training aid I will buy. I'm presently a 22 hndcp but after 2 weeks of listening to the CD and doing half-hearted practice in my living room, I went out to my local course and shot an 85 from the tips (6420 yds).

The book makes absolute sense and once you read it, you'll get it.

Now why somebody didn't come up with this sooner, I have no idea, but I hope the Novosel's reap all the rewards they possibly can from this.

More than highly recommended!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing this thread, combined with the fact that my tempo has been off kilter all season - causing pull hooks, push slices and overall bad results - reminded me that the book and CD were sitting on a shelf at home. I'd read most of the book and listened to the CD when I bought it about two years ago, but had never tried using it for practice.

I loaded it on my iPod and took it out to the range yesterday and hit the first half of a large bucket with the headphones on. It only took a few swings to get used to having the headphones on and listening to the tones to determine that I was a 24/8. I started killing it, probably 20 yards longer than I have been all season and with each swing it started going a little straighter each time. I then took the headphones off, and with the tones still ringing in my head, I was hitting it even better. Flying the ball well into the screen 250 yards out, when I was seldom able to roll the ball there before. And all in a tight distribution no more than twenty yards across.

The two guys next to me had been watching me hit the ball between their swings and commented that I was hitting it well. I haven't had that happen since I was a 17 yeard old two handicap who could hit the ball 300+ with consistency. Unfortunately that was 20 years, 150 pounds and about 10 strokes ago.

I can't wait to get out tomorrow and see if it comes with me to the course.

• 2 months later...

Love the concept.....no gimmicks. The book lays it out very nicely.....every professional golfer (Save for a few with extremely slow backswings....think Woody or Nancy Lopez) has a 3:1 ratio - (start of club to backswing) (3) / (backswing to impact) (1) ratio (in terms of tempo).

The funny thing is the entire book could be presented in about a 1 page manual....the rest of the book is just two drills that take too long to explain, and about 100 pages of testimonials and Q and A. Here's the gist:

With that 3:1 ratio in mind (the book takes 30 pages proving it by telling how the author analyzed dozens or hundreds of tour swings), the author has clumped basically all pro golfers into 3 camps of actual swing-times. Get it? Every pro golfer has a 3:1 backswing/forwardswing-to-impact ratio, but individual pros take one of three different amounts of time actually completing the whole process. Those three times are measured in frames per second (from standard a standard television video feed that displays at 30 frames per second): 27/9, 24/8, 21/7. So, for example, Jim Furyk, Fuzzy Zoeller, David Toms, Ben Crenshaw, etc use 27 frames per second backswing, and a 9 frames per second forward swing to impact (frames per second = FPS). Get it? 27/9 = 3/1. Tiger, pPhil, Norman, Paddy, Freddy, Daly, Vijay all use 24/8 FPS (which is 3/1).

Actually, all the pros are not EXACTLY 27/9 or 24/8 or 21/7, but all fall within 1 FPS.

The takeaway - the reason ALL pro golfers look like they are swinging so smoothly, and yet hit the ball a mile, is that they have this same silky smooth, but fairly quick rhythm.

The takeaway for us - we can LEARN tempo, now that we know what the "Tour tempo" is. Most golfers are actually taking WAY too long with their backswing.....because of the bad advice of "low and slow" and "slow one-piece takeaway." Think about it, only Woody on tour really uses that advice....and he's only been hot for 6 months.

The valuable thing the book provides is actually the CDswith the various tempos on beat tracks with tones that correspond to the 3:1 ratio. The author recommends amateurs use the 27/9, because that is much faster than most amateurs actually do. If you buy the MP3 of of iTunes, get the 27/9 Pre-shot track. This includes a lower tone for when to start the backswing, a higher tone for when to start the forward swing, and a final tone for when impact should occur. Just get it, play in around the house, practice your swing without a club trying to match it to the beats, then play it on your ipod at the range.

That's it, that's what the book tells you (plus two drills that really have nothing to do with tempo, they are just good drills for learning fundamentals). Yes, that's really it. I would recommend the book because it explains everything in detail. But I kept turning the pages waiting for the next big "secret." But there is no secret beyond the 3:1 ratio.

This is a great book, great research, and probably one of the most fundamental golf advances in recent years. Definitely worth the $$ for the book (or at least 99 cents for the track on iTunes).

I think most golfers would benefit from the Tour Tempo concept, but it is not a holy grail, IMO. I think finding and maintaining a repeatable tempo is a very important factor in any swing. However, the 3/1 ratio think isn't the only one you'll see among top touring pros. There are a variety of tempos in use by top pros--including some of the better ball-strikers. What you will see is the same tempo swing after swing after swing, and that is hugely important.

However, the 3/1 ratio think isn't the only one you'll see among top touring pros. There are a variety of tempos in use by top pros--including some of the better ball-strikers. What you will see is the same tempo swing after swing after swing, and that is hugely important.

Agree and disagree. I was impressed by the thoroughness of the books research into the game's top ballstrikers...all of which (at least those presented in the book) have the 3:1 ratio (within 1 FPS, that is, and using one of the three "total elapse" times).

I'm wondering who you would point to who doesn't use the 3:1 ratio? I'm sure there's a list somewhere in response to this book "debunking" it, but I haven't found it. The list presented in the book was enough to persuade me. Interestingly, those who "look" like they have quicker or slower swings actually have the same speeds within about 2 FPS ( so within 1/15'th of a second of each other)...Phil, Tiger, Norman, Couples, daly, Singh, Stricker, Garcia, and Els all use 24/8....and they look VERY different watching them in person... (think of the visual difference between watching say Els v. Tiger or Norman). What I'm saying is that looks can deceive.

Agree that the important point is learning a repeatable tempo, and the CDs are very helpful for that.

I've got vids of a bunch of pros' swings. Just off the top of my head, Singh, Appleby and Snead are three that don't stick to the 3/1 much the time. Those are three pretty good ball strikers. ;-)

I guess my point is that people shouldn't get obsessed with the 3/1 ratio. The Tour Tempo guys play it a little loose with the frame counting. What's more important than the 3/1 ratio, IMO, is that you find a ratio that works for you and stick with it. This is where the TT guys are right on the money. Good players will practice their tempo. The average recreational golfer has probably never practiced their tempo. Good tempo will allow for a more comfortable and controlled transition, which makes it a lot easier to get into a consistently good position at impact.

I've got vids of a bunch of pros' swings. Just off the top of my head, Singh, Appleby and Snead are three that don't stick to the 3/1 much the time. Those are three pretty good ball strikers. ;-)

I guess my point is that people shouldn't get obsessed with the 3/1 ratio. The Tour Tempo guys play it a little loose with the frame counting. What's more important than the 3/1 ratio, IMO, is that you find a ratio that works for you and stick with it. This is where the TT guys are right on the money. Good players will practice their tempo. The average recreational golfer has probably never practiced their tempo. Good tempo will allow for a more comfortable and controlled transition, which makes it a lot easier to get into a consistently good position at impact.

Cool that you looked into the 3:1 thing. I wonder if anybody has double checked the authors' figures ... cause both Snead and Singh are cited in the book. Still, it does seem like most pros with conventional swings "hover around" the 3:1 ratio, and that's helpful to know.