2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How is Stephen Ames getting into fields?

wessnuts

Ames hasn't won since 2009, so how does he still get into tournaments? He wasn't in top 125 last year either.

It would be cool if all events had an explanation how each player got his spot (kinda like Masters does).

Dude is nearly 50 and has earned millions. Why not allow a q-school/web.com player have a spot?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously his good looks.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/player_exemptions.html
[quote]9. Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved events (except team events) within the last two calendar years, or during the current year; winners receive an additional year of exemption for each additional win, up to five years:[/quote]

[quote name='iBanesto' timestamp='1359431585' post='6319609']
Obviously his good looks.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/player_exemptions.html
[quote]9. Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved events (except team events) within the last two calendar years, or during the current year; winners receive an additional year of exemption for each additional win, up to five years:[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='wessnuts' timestamp='1359431989' post='6319649']
But 2 years after 2009 would mean 2011 would be his last year of full exemption right? I don't understand how his status has carried over to 2013
[/quote]

Ames won the Players Championship in 2006, giving him a 5 year exemption from 2007-2011. During those 5 years, he won the Children's Miracle Network Classic twice, in 2007 and 2009; each win gave him another 1 year exemption added on to his prior exemption, i.e. 2012 and 2013.

[quote name='wessnuts' timestamp='1359431043' post='6319545']
Ames hasn't won since 2009, so how does he still get into tournaments? He wasn't in top 125 last year either.

It would be cool if all events had an explanation how each player got his spot (kinda like Masters does).

Dude is nearly 50 and has earned millions. Why not allow a q-school/web.com player have a spot?
[/quote]

Let me get this straight. He won in 2009, has 4 pga tour wins and finished in the top 125 for about 10 years straight, but hasn't earned the right to get a sponsors exemption? He's proven that he can play on tour and win. But he's apparently taking a spot from a web.com players who hasn't proven themselves?

What has the web.com player done to deserve a spot? Why are they more derserving than someone who has had a very successful career?

My guess is your'e of the younger "if want it so therefore i deserve it" generation.

Greetings ....

MacGuffin supplied the correct answer. It is a PGA Tour regulation put into effect in 2003 that covers winners of any event awarding an exemption of three or more years. If a player wins such an event and then wins regular events during the period in which the three-or-more years exemption is in effect, he gets one extra year for each regular event won, limited to a maximum of five bonus years.

Not only has Ames benefitted from this rule, but so have Justin Leonard and David Toms. Leonard already had a 10-year exemption for winning the 1997 British Open, and wins he had occuring from 2003 onward extended his prime exempt status up to 2012. Toms won the 2001 PGA Championship, by itself worth a 5-year exemption. Subsequent wins in years up to 2006 extended Toms' prime exempt status thru 2011. Toms won Colonial in 2011 and is exempt thru 2013.

The rule does have flaws (so says me) -- One of Leonard's wins occured -AFTER- the end of the 10-year exemption period, but was treated as a bonus exemption because it occurred within the period of years (2008 to 2011) where his initial exemption had been extended by wins occurring from 2003 to 2007. That's why Leonard had prime status in 2012!!!!!

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

[quote name='wessnuts' timestamp='1359431043' post='6319545']

[/quote]

Why not allow that earnest kid Jimmy who gets up at dawn to deliver newspapers, then goes to school where he get's straight A's, then comes home and makes dinner for his invalid mum, then does his homework, and then finally goes to the range to hit balls with a bent 5I until they close?

Why? Because the PGA exemption rules allow a multiple former winner to have a place and that annoying overachieving keener Jimmy hasn't achieved anything yet within the rules of the PGA to get a place on tour. :derisive:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='sportsmanship' timestamp='1359513123' post='6326581']
That was really classy of Tiger to publicly humiliate him (not on the course but in the media room) for Ames dare question Tiger. Tiger is a sociopath.
[/quote]

Did Frankie Lob Wedge get a new username?

Seems like the new guy has a big issue with Tiger. Think maybe calling him a sociopath is taking it a bit far?

Mac Guffin,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize the exemptions piggy-backed and rolled on top of each other. Seems like the system makes it tough to get in, but once you're in, you only need to 'peak' for a 3-5 week stretch all year to keep your status.

I also thought it was expensive to be on tour, so making cuts and cashing checks was the only way to survive. But then I read something about "tee money" and the fact of the matter is... getting to the show pays for itself. At that point you're basically playing with house money.

As far as Ames goes: "Don't hate the player, hate the game" seems like the most appropriate cliche. I would just like to see him play the 50 players who got their cards via q-school & Buy.com in a 72 hole tourney and see where he places. I'd bet even money that Russel Henley would beat him.

That was really classy of Tiger to publicly humiliate him (not on the course but in the media room) for Ames dare question Tiger. Tiger is a sociopath.
[/quote]

So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Or are you just trying to work your post count up so that you can sell on the BST forum?

Tiger is a tough nut to crack. He comes off as an @$$ hole. I guess Haney portrayed him as one too. But let's face it, nice guys finish last. America has no time for losers.

Having said that, I am a "nice guy", but I have done WAY less to make the world a better place than Tiger has. His foundation has helped more people than I ever will. I doubt the guy will ever find true peace & happiness, but peace & happiness is not what he's looking for in life. He just wasn't born that way.

[quote name='sportsmanship' timestamp='1359514125' post='6326719']
Sociopath symptoms-

glib&superficial
Lack of guilt or remorse
Egocentric
Lack of empathy
Deceitful and manipulative
Impulsive
Poor behavior controls
Need for excitement

Sound like Tiger? It sure does to me.
[/quote]

Sounds like the a description of

Everyone I do business with.

Hahaha!

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1359519067' post='6327307']
[/quote]

So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Or are you just trying to work your post count up so that you can sell on the BST forum?
[/quote]

What is the BST forum? I just don't buy into Tiger's hype. I'm also willing to bet that I've had more interactions and more rounds played with top players than anyone here. Ames is famous for Tiger crushing him. Tiger did it in a scummy way, as usual. The blind love for Tiger needs to stop.

[quote name='sportsmanship' timestamp='1359519508' post='6327361']
I'm also willing to bet that I've had more interactions and more rounds played with top players than anyone here.
The blind love for Tiger needs to stop.
[/quote]

You are the man!!!! :help:

Do yourself a favor... you have already embarrassed yourself with your post above but I can try to help you out... stop mentioning Tiger in a thread about Stephen Ames getting into PGA Tour events... you just might make it to 50 posts on the site

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is the BST forum? I just don't buy into Tiger's hype. I'm also willing to bet that I've had more interactions and more rounds played with top players than anyone here. Ames is famous for Tiger crushing him. Tiger did it in a scummy way, as usual. The blind love for Tiger needs to stop.
[/quote]

Beating someone 9 & 8 is scummy? Please continue to troll on.

Sim - Ad TP
M5 15 - Diamana B
Vapor Pro 
SM8 53, 58 
BM DH89SS 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And thank God you're here to stop it. Now go get 'em Tiger !

[quote name='sportsmanship' timestamp='1359520811' post='6327479']
Kicking Ames's butt wasn't scummy at all. Gloating in his press conference was. I'd love to know the percentage of Tiger fans who also love Lebron, Kobe, the Patriots, Yankees, ARod, etc.
[/quote]

:to_become_senile:
Let me help remind you...
[b] How is Stephen Ames getting into fields?[/b]

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1359520944' post='6327491']
[quote name='sportsmanship' timestamp='1359520811' post='6327479']
Kicking Ames's butt wasn't scummy at all. Gloating in his press conference was. I'd love to know the percentage of Tiger fans who also love Lebron, Kobe, the Patriots, Yankees, ARod, etc.
[/quote]

:to_become_senile:
Let me help remind you...
[b] How is Stephen Ames getting into fields?[/b]
[/quote]

Here's an actual answer from someone who knows. Ames is getting into fields because he had/has big time sponsors and the PGA tour takes care of their own. You know how every once in a while a top amateur gets into an event because he went to the same school as a sponsor or knows him? Well, the same thing goes for washed up players like Ames. These guys develop relationships over a career and use those connections when they need them. Not to mention there are a billion exemptions that only lawyers understand. I'm pretty sure there's an exemption for being the tallest, most tan player to make the cut in the 110th Open Championship.