Anyone ever cracked/split the face of an RBZ 3 wood? (pics attached)

dcmidnight ·  
dcmidnightdcmidnight  12650WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 7.0Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,650 Marshals
Special ordered this direct from TM end of last August - its by far been my favorite club of the last 6 months.

Yesterday on the back 9 I hit a couple of real sideways shots with it (literally) - which with this club is a real oddity. Got home to find that the face caved in/cracked to the point of splitting the crown @ 1/4" off the topline. Important to note, I am not Jamie Sadlowski - my driver SS is 105 so whatever that translates to with a 3 wood, I am not caving in clubs as a matter of habit. In fact, this is the first time I can ever remember this happening. I absolutely baby my clubs, headcovers on when riding in the cart - in fact the sole of this club looks like its brand new.

Anyone out there had the same issue? Not sure I've heard of this happening before - and of course it would happen 3 days before I leave for my first tournament of the year lol.
Posted:
SIM 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s
Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
M3 5h - Atmos Red s
TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
Toulon Austin 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

Comments

• 10_ft_Jon_Boat10_ft_Jon_Boat  115WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 115 Fairways
    I had this happen with a Cleveland. According to their customer service, it was nothing I did but a defect in the face. One small blemish / issue and a crack forms. Did u call them? Most likely warranty work (mine was).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler  1738WRX Points: 177Members Posts: 1,738 Platinum Tees
    Haven't seen that but there's one in my local Sports Authority (for sale) that's split on the little piece between the leading edge and sole slot. They must be pretty thin faced.
    Posted:

Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5 / 2016 M2 16.5. / Taylormade FCT 21, 23.5 / Srixon 745 5-PW / Vokey SM6 52f, 56f, 60m / SC PP DelMar 3.5 or Cleveland HB 11.

• Rock Chalk JayhawkRock Chalk Jayhawk  2929WRX Points: 37Members Posts: 2,929 Bunkers
    Give TM customer service a call. I have seen lots of stories on the Wrx of members that have gotten the club replaced for free or discount.

http://taylormadegolf.com/customerService/customerService,en_US,pg.html
    Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12650WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 7.0Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,650 Marshals
    Called my TM guy this morning, they are going to replace it, he has always been great to me so I really had no doubts he would make it right.

More than anything I just found it odd.
    Posted:
    SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s
    Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
  • mljones99mljones99  1864WRX Points: 115Members Posts: 1,864 Platinum Tees
    When I worked in a golf shop we had our fair share of these. Mainly for TM, but that is what we sold the most of.
    Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9909WRX Points: 900Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,909 ClubWRX
    I think that this will become pretty common (relatively) now that more OEM's are getting their fairway woods up to the max COR. Might not see it so much in the big names, but in the fringe companies I think it will be a problem.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

Advertisement
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom***  31957WRX Points: 1,704Members Posts: 31,957 Titanium Tees
    dcmidnight wrote:

Called my TM guy this morning, they are going to replace it, he has always been great to me so I really had no doubts he would make it right.

More than anything I just found it odd.

That's good that you will be getting a replacement. Are you getting the same club or are they bumping you to a Stage2?
    Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12650WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 7.0Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,650 Marshals
    Same shaft/specs/club - no interest in the Stage 2 really, just want the same exact one.
    Posted:
    SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s
    Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
  • legalseafoodlegalseafood  40WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 40
    Played with a fellow last year, the face of his rbz didn't crack but the head flew straight off. But TM did replace entire club.
    Posted:
  • Dei3Nascar8Dei3Nascar8  761WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 761
    Good luck. Hope you have a better experience than I did. I cracked an R11S. I called TM and they informed me that I had to return the driver to the store I purchased it from. I returned to Dicks and they told me because I changed the shaft that I "voided the warranty" and there was nothing they would do to help me. This was from the "Head Pro" there. I was furious, how can taking out a removable shaft void a warranty! I called TM back and explained my issues with them (got the same guy who sent me to Dicks) and they informed me that changing a shaft does not void the warranty. TM sent me a new head/shaft. I put the head on the stock shaft they sent with the new head and returned it to them. Other than having to deal with the guys at Dicks it was a smooth exchange with TM.
    Posted:
  • play36play36  96WRX Points: 60Members Posts: 96 Fairways
    Interestingly I also custom ordered an RBZ right around the same time, I ordered it with a RIP Phenom 70. It cracked a month ago very similarly to yours. Brought it into Golfsmith where I ordered it from and they sent it back to TM. TM sent a new one in abut 4 days. Great, except they sent a stock model no custom shaft. I was going to,send it back again but I ended up demoing the stage 2 tour 14.5 and really liked it. The GS guys just gave me full credit for the RBZ against the purchase of the Stage 2. Just double check with TM that they will replace like for like.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* Rogue Black 70
    Ping G 3W Rogue Black 80
    Ping G 3H Tour 90
    Callaway Apex CF19 4-GW C-Taper Lite 110
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 SW 54-14
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour LW 58-9
    Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 SS

Advertisement
  • seasterlseasterl  501WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 501
    I dented in the face of my Callaway Steelhead driver. It was one of the pre-titanium models. By the time I noticed it, they had already changed models and they refused to replace or repair it or offer a discount on a current model (you know, just to keep me as a customer so I'll tell my friends). I'll never buy another of their products. I hope TM replaces your club or at least offers a discount on a new one if out if warranty.
    Posted:
  • KC4441KC4441 KC 806WRX Points: 113Handicap: 1.7ClubWRX Posts: 806 ClubWRX
    Had this happen FOUR times..... This last time they replaced it with a Stage 2..
    Posted:
    M5 9.0 
    M3 T3 3 wood 
    P790 3 and 4 iron
    P770 4-9
    TM MG 48, 50, 
    Hi Toe 54/58
    MySpider X 
    TP5
    TMAG Tour Preferred Locker
  • kwooten31kwooten31  2093WRX Points: 2Handicap: 9.4Members Posts: 2,093 Platinum Tees
    What a beast!!! I wish I had that claim to fame, then I could tell all my friends what a beast I am...lol.. Im sure if you send it into TM they will replace it, maybe even send the new stage 2 for the hassel...Good luck!
    Posted:
    TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
    TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
    9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
    Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
    Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°
    Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey
  • MizunoMan37MizunoMan37 Just tap it in...  112WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 112
    This isn't uncommon; I had it happen to me with my TM R540...it cracked about in the same spot as yours. I called them up and even though they weren't making the R540 anymore...they still sent me a brand new R5 Dual.
    Posted:
  • Hole~Out~83Hole~Out~83  43WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 43

Haven't seen that but there's one in my local Sports Authority (for sale) that's split on the little piece between the leading edge and sole slot. They must be pretty thin faced.

Really? Who would even consider buying a club with a cracked head?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • morebeerbettergolfmorebeerbettergolf  761WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 761
    Split at the top weld. My R11S over time started showing what I can only describe as a metal fatigue line around the toe side and crown of the face along the same weld line. TM replaced it.
    Posted:
    All's well that ends well. TM guy called his inside rep Monday AM, they had a club with FedEx for me @ 8 hours later.

Plus they threw in a sleeve of Lethals to try out.

Love TM!!
    Posted:
    SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s
    Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
  • MizunoMan37MizunoMan37 Just tap it in...  112WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 112
    Gotta love that!!
    Posted:
  • jrodgers0622jrodgers0622  341WRX Points: 0Handicap: 4Members Posts: 341
    Cracking the face is a common problem in taylormade woods. In a tournament a couple weeks ago the guy i was playing against cracked his driver and fairway in the same round, couldn't believe it. But I'm sue tm will take care of it for you and him.
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD - 9* - Rogue 125 MSI 60TX
    Cobra LTD - 14.5* - Rogue Black 70X
    Adams Red Hy - 20* - Altus 80X
    Titleist CB - 3-PW - DG S300 HSx1
    Callaway MD3 - 52* / 56* / 60* - DG S300
    Odyssey RX V-line Fang - 34"
  • Willie MalayWillie Malay  2667WRX Points: 4Members Posts: 2,667 Titanium Tees
    No, but the black paint on the face "crazed" like crazy on the one I had.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • NortheasterNortheaster  201WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 201 Fairways
    I have the Taylormade Rocketballz Tour 3-wood 14.5 degree. I love the thing, can usually carry it 250-260. Unfortunately today I was crushing it (farther than normal) at the range and the slot underneath cracked. I'm not sure if it's a defect or if the face was flexing so much that it caused the crack in the slot. I'm sure TM will replace it but now I'm a little nervous playing a club with slot technology (rbz stage 1 or 2). I'm kind of hoping I get the stage 2 from TM so I can return it to a store in exchange for one of the new offerings from another company, one without a slot. Should I be concerned about that? Has this happened to anyone here? If so, are you still playing a club with slot tech, and how has it held up? I know that the pros play RBZ without trouble but they get the BEST versions of equipment and often put hot melt in the heads for weighting purposes, but hot melt might have prevented this kind of crack. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.