Titleist 735 cm

insights and questions
After talking with Joe Kwok on the phone today, I thought I would open this up for discussion. Joe has been working on a set of Titleist 735 cm's ( 735cm ). Since they have not been released to public I would assume they are tour issued.

He said the heads are beautiful. Look fantastic. He also said they perform well also. However he said the feel was bad. "Click" is what came from his mouth. He said the feel was bad as a result of the harder stainless steel they used to make the heads instead of normal carbon steel traditionally used for good forgings.

Why in the world would Titleist put out a top shelf "forged" head that is made of Stainless instead of "carbon steel"?

I have an idea. Blast cast then hit saves money over forged from a bar of carbon. You have to hit the bar multiple times to get the form finished. If you cast the rough body first it will save the amount of hits to finish the head. Labor savings.

Stainless over carbon? Tolerances are better with stainless cast then hit over the traditional forgings. Save labor there also.

I don’t know. Are you really getting a forged head? Sounds like a cast stainless head spanked once in a forging die to me.

Again it might not matter either. As Joe said the performance was good and looks even better. So what if it clicks at impact and feels harder.

What do you think?

735 cm , 735cm , 735-cm

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like how i feel the 704s to be. I hit some mizunos and they felt so much softer, but im hoping the 735s are better than the 704s as far as that click feel.

thanks for the review

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Sounds like the stainless 735s are produced using the same material and method as the 704s. I thought the 704s were great irons but they def. didn't have the feel of a traditional carbon steel forging like a Mizuno or Endo. I would saw they didn't feel any better than a reg. cast Titleist. Hopefully the Chrome carbon version is closer to a true "forged" feel.

My guess is that they will feel just like the 704 - like a cast club. Not bad in itself, but they probably won't provide a forged clubs 'thump' and feel when nutted.

Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

Allow me to add a few words here. :vava:

These iron are still pretty soft compare to 17-4 stainless steel, No doubt about it!

Like you guys said that is just not comparable to a carbon steel forged iron. There is something missing IMO. Bare in mind that this is come from an old school player who up to now can't get away playing blade iron ( at least the shorter iron ).

I'm sure that some % of players out there couldn't even feel the different at all, especially a higher handicapper.

The advantage of this iron are easier for me to grind and change the look or do any modification without worrying about the finish. For example if the customer need the top line to be a little thinner...Not a problem at all!!! :busted_cop:

Cheers!

Joe ;)

They are the best iron set I've ever played and I've played them all.  I'm looking for a 2nd set if someone has a set to sale.

6447[/snapback]

Well can you tell if they are harsh? If anyone on the planet can tell us that its you. Ho'bus. Compare the feel to a muira or another carbon steel forging my man.

Love the second set idea to. When I do that I am convinced! :busted_cop:

Well can you tell if they are harsh? If anyone on the planet can tell us that its you. Ho'bus. Compare the feel to a muira or another carbon steel forging my man.

Love the second set idea to. When I do that I am convinced!  :busted_cop:

6451[/snapback]

"Feel" is so subjective. I believe that the great Joe K once said that we misinterept feel with "Sound" at impact. I also believe that the feel is a direct relationship to the shaft. I've found that the dg sl shafts and this clubhead have a distinct feel much like a miura.

These are not clicky as some but muted thump resulting in a very long iron. I was playing a 7 iron at 165-170 compared to a miura iron, I barely could muster up 155.

I had the forged stainless and understand these may also be in a carbon steel. I'd prefer the forged stainless. Compared to the 704's (which I hated), these are a 100% improvement.

"Feel" is so subjective.  I believe that the great Joe K once said that we misinterept feel with "Sound" at impact.  I also believe that the feel is a direct relationship to the shaft.  I've found that the dg sl shafts and this clubhead have a distinct feel much like a miura.

These are not clicky as some but muted thump resulting in a very long iron.  I was playing a 7 iron at 165-170 compared to a miura iron, I barely could muster up 155. 

I had the forged stainless and understand these may also be in a carbon steel.  I'd prefer the forged stainless.  Compared to the 704's (which I hated), these are a 100% improvement.

6453[/snapback]

So u played the DG SL in these heads. I play my irons .75 to 1" over and was thinking of trying the SL in my new X-Blade CBs to keep the sw a little lower. In general how does the SL compare to standard DG?

So u played the DG SL in these heads. I play my irons .75 to 1" over and was thinking of trying the SL in my new X-Blade CBs to keep the sw a little lower. In general how does the SL compare to standard DG?

6458[/snapback]

same feel and trajectory, 25 grams or so lighter. makes a world of difference on the last several holes. try it you won't be disappointed.

Actually around 15 grams lighter.

Same perfomance w/ DG, just a touch firmer feel at impact compare to normal DG due to the thinner wall construction. However blueprinting it w/wooden dowel would somewhat level it out. It's one of the best perfomance lightweight steel shaft around IMO.

I got one in my 3 iron, it's so much easier to hit on the long iron and like Mike the HO :busted_cop: said " it's so much easier to hit when you are in the last few holes".

Joe ;)

There are some rumors flying around that Titleist will release both a stainless steel version, and a version in carbon steel. The carbon set will be in chrome, and are rumored to be called 635's (to follow the 600 series line). I've seen a pic of the 735's in chrome (still said 735 on them, so don't know if they'll be called 635 or not) and they looked very good.

The carbon steel set will be a little more expensive (just like the 600 series are more expensive than the 704's).

I want a set of these BAD. I didn't like them when I saw them the first time, but they've really grown on me, and now I can't stop thinking about them :busted_cop: ;)

It seems like the forged stainless version is very popular on tour so there must be some difference in feel between the 735 and the 704s.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

There are some rumors flying around that Titleist will release both a stainless steel version, and a version in carbon steel. The carbon set will be in chrome, and are rumored to be called 635's (to follow the 600 series line). I've seen a pic of the 735's in chrome (still said 735 on them, so don't know if they'll be called 635 or not) and they looked very good.

The carbon steel set will be a little more expensive (just like the 600 series are more expensive than the 704's).

I want a set of these BAD. I didn't like them when I saw them the first time, but they've really grown on me, and now I can't stop thinking about them :busted_cop: ;)

6483[/snapback]

If the rumors is true about the 635, It's probably only for the tour players.

IMO, It wouldn't be wise for Tileist to put 635 in retail too ( if there is no different in design ), Cuz I can bet you that 90% of us ( including me :D ) will buy the 635 instead and it will be a waist of $$$ for titleist producing both for retail. For OEM is all about profit margin w/ less problem.

Remember that they will come out w/a carbon steel cavity to replace 690.CB and I know that they do have the 660 iron ready in production.

I've seen 3 version of the 735 finishes: Bead blast, Polish,and Brush. All in stainless steel material.

Just my 2 cents!

Joe :vava:

Remember that they will come out w/a carbon steel cavity to replace 690.CB and I know that they do have the 660 iron ready in production.

Joe :busted_cop:

6533[/snapback]

Yep, 695CB is coming in chrome/carbon. Like you said. I doubt Titleist would come out with a carbon and stainless version of the exact same design. It would create confusion in the market place. I don't think the golfing public is ready for or wants to start understanding the differences between carbon and stainless. Heck most consumers don't understabd the diff. between forged and cast.

If they do the 735 in carbon for the tour (which I wouldn't doubt) it would be very cool to be able to order sets on a one off basis through the custon dept. I think that would be huge. Titleist could have an upcharge for the carbon version and we the consumer would be getting what would essentially be a tour version of the iron.

My local Titleist guy who is on staff said there will be both a carbon and stainless version. He doesn't know if it will be called by a different model but it will be available through the custom department and will cost more than the 735 stainless. I don't think consumers will be confused if the option is an upcharge available only through a custom order. I can't wait to get a set of these in carbon steel. Here is a bag shot with both the carbon steel chrome and the stainless versions. Notice how the 735 stainless looks like the 704. Dream set = a carbon forged 735.cm in satin finish like Titleist's new wedges :busted_cop:

is.php?i=26104&img=Titleist_735.jpg

- Lord Tennyson

My local Titleist guy who is on staff said there will be both a carbon and stainless version.  He doesn't know if it will be called by a different model but it will be available through the custom department and will cost more than the 735 stainless.  I don't think  consumers will be confused if the option is an upcharge available only through a custom order.  I can't wait to get a set of these in carbon steel. Here is a bag shot with both the chrome carbon steel and the stainless versions.  Notice how the 735 looks like the 704.  Dream set = a carbon forged 735.cm in satin finish like Titleist's new wedges  :busted_cop:

is.php?i=26104&img=Titleist_735.jpg

6560[/snapback]

Let's just hope you are correct! I will be the first guy in line ;)

Joe :vava:

I've seen 3 version of the 735 finishes: Bead blast, Polish,and Brush. All in stainless steel material.

Just my 2 cents!

Joe :busted_cop:

6533[/snapback]

Interesting - what finish is on Profiler's set? It is the last set of pictures in the group. First is from DMan, second JGalls and last Profiler.

is.php?i=26105&img=Titleist_735.cm_stainless_tour_704_finish_3.jpg

is.php?i=26106&img=Titleist_735.cm_stainless_no_anvil_likely_production_model_3.jpg

is.php?i=26107&img=Titleist_735.cm_stainless_tour_satin_in_bag_2.jpg

is.php?i=26109&img=Titleist_735.cm_stainless_tour_satin__pw.jpg

is.php?i=26110&img=Titleist_735.cm_stainless_tour_satin_pw_top.jpg

- Lord Tennyson

Interesting - what finish is on Profiler's set?  It is the last set of pictures in the group.  First is from DMan, second JGalls and last Profiler.

That is a bead blast w/ glass beads. Demo's are just a brush finish and bead blast in the back.

Below is the comparison pic between high polish stainless steel (b4 and after) and shiny chrome.

That is a bead blast w/ glass beads. Demo's are just a brush finish and bead blast in the back.

Below is the comparison pic between high polish stainless steel (b4 and after) and shiny chrome.

6573[/snapback]

That is the plan - two versions. Stainless steel priced like the 704's and Carbon/chrome priced like the current 690 line.

And lefties - both will be available to you, but the Carbons will be special order only :busted_cop:

The retail releases will not have the anvil logo thingy on the club

Labor day release give or take followed by the 695MB, 695CB, and 660's

golow

That is the plan - two versions. Stainless steel priced like the 704's and Carbon/chrome priced like the current 690 line.

And lefties - both will be available to you, but the Carbons will be special order only  :busted_cop:

golow

6641[/snapback]

golow with the intell. Nice work. Also good news for us Tity lovers. Very good news! I have not been a fan of the Tity player cb lines for years. This sould change things. Good for titleist!!!

golow with the intell. Nice work. Also good news for us Tity lovers. Very good news! I have not been a fan of the Tity player cb lines for years. This sould change things. Good for titleist!!!

6651[/snapback]

Def! Looks like Titleist is comin' on real strong :busted_cop: That's a really solid iron line up. I will def. be checking out the carbon 735s and 695CBs.

6573[/snapback]

And lefties - both will be available to you, but the Carbons will be special order only ;)

golow

6641[/snapback]

I hope it's labor day. It seems more people are starting to push their own guess/estimated release date even further back for the 735 and the carbons are rarely even mentioned. The article by sirshanksalot seems to suggest a release date isn't known. I wish Titleist would release some sort of official press. :busted_cop:

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

6573[/snapback]

And lefties - both will be available to you, but the Carbons will be special order only ;)

golow

6641[/snapback]

I hope it's labor day. It seems more people are starting to push their own guess/estimated release date even further back for the 735 and the carbons are rarely even mentioned. The article by sirshanksalot seems to suggest a release date isn't known. I wish Titleist would release some sort of official press. :busted_cop:

6786[/snapback]

That may be a "guess/estimated date" but it is the official guesstimate from Acushnet. They are currently forging them and cannot commit to a date until they stockpile enough to fill typical initial orders worldwide. Would you like to know how many sets are in the two housing facilities in North America. I was told the numbers last week and they were quite low considering.

Big machines can break and production could come to a screeching halt. If a hard and fast date is released then changed, it wouldn't look good for the company. If I find out very specific info before any official word is published and am allowed to share I will - promise :vava:

golow

Thanks Golow, you're keeping my spirits up. I dont think I can wait till next spring. I just picked up a Vokey 54* wedgte today to go with my 60* and want to round out the set with the 735s. I asked my local Titleist sales guy about the 735s today and he'd only tell me the same things you shared with us.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

I heard that they will be shipping around first week of August. Pretty reliable source but we shall see.

- Lord Tennyson

I heard that they will be shipping around first week of August.  Pretty reliable source but we shall see.

7331[/snapback]

AWESOME :vava: , august works even better than labor day. I'll keep my fingers crossed while i work out a terrible case of the wedge shanks :busted_cop: ;)

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

After talking with Joe Kwok on the phone today, I thought I would open this up for discussion. Joe has been working on a set of Titleist 735 cm's. Since they have not been released to public I would assume they are tour issued.

He said the heads are beautiful. Look fantastic. He also said they perform well also. However he said the feel was bad. "Click" is what came from his mouth. He said the feel was bad as a result of the harder stainless steel they used to make the heads instead of normal carbon steel traditionally used for good forgings.

Why in the world would Titleist put out a top shelf "forged" head that is made of Stainless instead of "carbon steel"?

I have an idea. Blast cast then hit saves money over forged from a bar of carbon. You have to hit the bar multiple times to get the form finished. If you cast the rough body first it will save the amount of hits to finish the head. Labor savings.

Stainless over carbon? Tolerances are better with stainless cast then hit over the traditional forgings. Save labor there also.

I don’t know. Are you really getting a forged head? Sounds like a cast stainless head spanked once in a forging die to me.

Again it might not matter either. As Joe said the performance was good and looks even better. So what if it clicks at impact and feels harder.

What do you think?

6409[/snapback]

I saw the 735.CM's at the Fedex St. Jude. They looked great, and I even a black nickel set floating around.

After talking with Joe Kwok on the phone today, I thought I would open this up for discussion. Joe has been working on a set of Titleist 735 cm's. Since they have not been released to public I would assume they are tour issued.

What do you think?

6409[/snapback]

I saw the 735.CM's at the Fedex St. Jude. They looked great, and I even a black nickel set floating around.

7785[/snapback]

Holy cow, a black nickel set of 735's would be the best looking irons ever. I can only imagine about what they look like.