For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

Hi Joe,

New member here,fascinating topics discussed ,and some of my old skelletons re appearing in other members posts.

I shall begin with a little background, i am 6`3 in shoes,170lbs,10hcp(6-lowest) age 40,flexible.Callaway performance center data 2000:driver /5 iron

ciub head speed-117mph 98mph

ball speed -170mph 141

launch angle -10deg 15deg

side angle 2.0 right 0 right

back spin 2519rpm 5349

side spin 184 left 25 left

efficency 1.45-97% 1.44/96%

clubs WERE callaway BBhawkeye 9 deg RCH strong flex,std length & grip.Irons BBX-less offset rifle 7.0 std iength & grip.

I also had a second fitting on shaft fit,result R300 in irons and X100 in driver.A third fitting of Ping gave irons 4 deg upright +1/2" Z-Z65 ,+1/32 grip.

Titliest on the other hand suggested 990 mb -1/2'' 4deg up,dg300 with the 1/2'' of the tip.

I presently play Mizuno MX23 suposed PX6.5 but on removing grip no evidence of that,std grip,std length,mizuno std lie.driver MX500 comp NT 11.5 deg 85g stiff,std length & grip.

Problem is Driver goes well carry 265yrds error left(big draw) irons try go right esp short irons(can miss a green 25yrds right fron 125yrds) long irons error left.

I requested recently from Ping a demo half set of s58,.they arrived ,black dot std length & grip 6 iron with Z-Z65 the 4,8.pw with suspected cs Lite reg-according to our pro(not yet vairified). After 3 sets of 9 holes great,accurate,creative ,enjoyable,long,with loads of feel.I actualy enjojed swinging them emmensly pw 150yrds with no effort and deadly accurate,4 iron 220yrds high and hint of draw(previously deamon hugh high hook) nothing went right unless i tried for it.

So i want a set of Ping S58 irons and wedges but what shaft ? The danger in not having played in wind, so I don't know the spin rate off these irons, they may well balloon. I've fallen out of favour with Project X and their irratic shaft flex dilema. I don't actually like Dynamic Gold. My idea is Nippon NSPRO 1050 as they seem to be almost flighted and may help anti-balloon.

Also driverwise, I would like to change to a Ping Rapture or the new Titleist 907D? Suggested shafts Diamana white or blue X Stiff or Ozik TP7X X Stiff standard length. Having read a Members comment with statistics similar to mine and he lent tthe regular flex idea and also had his clubs half an inch shorter as opposed to half an inch longer as per custom fit

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confuse w/ your LM data numbers, which one is the true one?

You are jumping around from one driver to another and yet your data is w/ Callaway Hawk eye, but at the end you want 907D2. I would get a luanch monitor session w/ the driver you want to play w/, than it's easier for us to talk about this.

Please follow the questionaire on my first post and add necessary info from there, This should make it easier.

where and who did you get the info from 1/2"shorter, R flex and NS pro 1050 won't balloon?

Who are you trying to listen first? Clubfitter?

I can tell you now that your set up is a bit on the extreme side being a tall guy, so if you get mix up w/ to much info ( lots of wrong info if you are not careful ) on your head.... you'll be getting confuse. When was the last time you have a swing lesson? What did he said to work on? For a tall guy loosing it left if the set up of the club is good enough, IMO you need to check your swing too.

Confuse "Joe" :pardon: :partytime2:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

8. etc.

1. 905S 8.5 Grafalloy Blue S (I've played this setup for 2 years. had a 975JVS 8.5 with Graf Blue S for 3 years prior)

2. I have a very smooth temp, but have a reasonable amount of lag and really flip my hands through impact. I'm 6'2" and 220 pounds.

3. hcap is 6 (best was 3 when I had time to practice) and swing is probably a 6-7 out of 10 for consistency. I play once a week and don't get time to practice.

4. The current setup works great when I'm hitting it good, but I'm looking to upgrade to a more forgiving 460cc driver in the next 6 months. (leaning towards 907D2)

5. Yes, last session was with the 905S I'm currently using. Average numbers were:-

109 mph clubhead speed

155 mph ball speed

13.5 deglaunch angle

3100 rpm spin rate

264 yard carry

pretty straight, ie. no significant inside/outside path.

6. I'd like a shaft that behaves like the Graf Blue S that I can put in a new driver. ie. light, stiff and low torque that gives a mid-low ball flight. Graf Blue is not offered as an option by titleist any more. Was wondering whether the Comp NT would be the closest fit or if anything else comes close. I've demo'd the 907D2 and whilst I love the shape and forgiveness, I found the V2 75S shaft too heavy and stiff for me to load. the VS Proto on the other found felt very whippy and soft and I hit it too high.

7. I've had dynamic fitting for irons. std lie angle worked well at +1/2". I play DG S300's and couldn't be happier.

Thanks in advance Joe. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Have you ever thought of trying it w/ V2 67gr in S flex? The blue is still available too as a custom options.

http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/drivers/...=Custom#pagebot

Joe

I'd thought of the 67gram V2, but I guess if i was to go down the path of custom ordering one (and paying full price) I'd stick with the Grafalloy Blue. I was hoping for something out of the stock lineup that might work, so I can get it used and cheaper in a few months time.

Thanks for the advice joe.

I currently have a Titleist 905S 9.5 loft stiff graffalloy blue standard length

Swing speed is 90-95mph

Slower takeback, strong swing through

Handicap is 15

Not much of a problem with the existing setup but my misses are generally hooks.

Ball speed on monitor is about 130-135mph

I am going to upgrade to a Titleist D2 and I'd like a more forgiving shaft. I don't care much about workability with my driver. I want it as straight as possible.

Hi, is your graffalloy shaft have a low flex point or high flex point?

I mean does it have a low kick point or high kick point? I tend to hook the ball with a low kick point stiff shaft so I was fitted for a Titleist 907 D2 with a graffalloy high kick point S shaft. It was a custom order so I haven't received it yet. I asked the fitter if I should have got the X shaft with a high kick point but he insisted on the S shaft. I will let you know how it goes as I really hope it can straighten my out a bit along with working on my swing. I just bought the Callaway X 20 Tours with rifle 6.0 stiff shafts, and I love them. I hit them pretty straight and love the feel of them.

Hello, Joe

I am currently play a Launcher comp 8.5 shafted with a V2 65 S. I feel that this combo is too whippy and goes to high. My Numbers are 14.5 launch angle/ 3500-3900 Rpm/ 108-112 SS. I have a hard move at the ball. What shaft can you suggest ? thank you!

Higher kick, heavier static weight, stiffer tip design should give you a pretty close number.

I can't tell you which one as the choice are to many and I have no idea what is your budget.

Email me if you are thinking of sending me the club to work with and discuss it deeper on what is the shaft choices to meet your budget.

Joe

[email protected]

Hey Joe,

I currently play a Titleist 983e 8.5 with the Titleist Prolite S flex in it.

Length 45"

Tempo: Fairly smooth - I have a lot of lag in my swing though. Definitely attack the ball from the inside.

Handicap: 6.1

Consistency: 7

Problems: My misses tend to be high right (and long) or a hook - not a duck hook but not great either. I'd My drives seem to hang in the air forever too, although I wouldn't say they balloon. Just high. I was at the open and the pros just seem to hit it out - lower than what I hit it (and farther, straighter, better, etc...)

As of this winter, my launch conditions:

SS: ~108

Launch Angle: ~13.3

Spin: ~3400

Ball Speed ~160

I hit the 907D2 during a demo day at my club with the following results:

907D2 9.5 Proforce v2 75 S 45" - Good distance, but I left most of the to the right. About 50/50 on drives than had a penetrating flight and seemed to hang. - Feels kind of boardy though.

907D2 8.5° Titleist Pro95 by Fujikura S 45" - Flight was good, when I could swing it. Best overall distance. This club just felt heavy to me.

907D2 8.5° Titleist Spec Grid 67X 45" - I liked this one the best of the ones I hit, it had the tightest dispersion, felt pretty good but didn't scream buy me. It flew flatter than the 9.5's, but not drastically so. It was on the high side of good in my book. This was the combination the titleist rep recommended after watching me hit balls, before he asked for my input as well.

907D2 9.5° Grafalloy Prolaunch Red S 45" There was something I didn't like about this shaft - I expected to like it since I thought it was similar to my current setup, but I was just inconsistent with it. It was probably my swing though.

I swung the D1 a couple times too, but I didn't adjust to the interesting look of it well.

Goals: I'd like to flatten out my ball flight just a little, and of course get a little more help on mishits, which I hope the D2 head will take care of. I did hit it noticeably more consistently, even changing clubs/shafts. The X flex scares me a bit too, my swing speed is high, but not that high... The rep told me that the Spec Grid plays soft compared to most and the titleist prolite plays stiff compared to most.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Adam

I would bump your shaft a touch heavier for better control.

The higher kick point shaft, low torque, stiffer tip is almost a must to flatten the flight....The key for your set up is on the shaft installation to get a result that is not to boardy but yet stiff enough to handle your swing speed. Definitely don't need X flex IMO.

Hello Joe,

Atm i got Titleist 990 DCI irons with Rifle 5.5c shafts in 'em. But jeez they are way to heavy for me. They full so heavy and it is nearly impossible to accelerate with the club or ill hit it fat.

Got any suggestions on shaft choice? my handicap is 10.4 and im a reasonable smooth swinger.

Greets mark

Hello Joe,

Atm i got Titleist 990 DCI irons with Rifle 5.5c shafts in 'em. But jeez they are way to heavy for me. They full so heavy and it is nearly impossible to accelerate with the club or ill hit it fat.

Got any suggestions on shaft choice? my handicap is 10.4 and im a reasonable smooth swinger.

Greets mark

Without checking the existing spec and what you need, i cant say anything to much.

Plenty of lighter steel shaft out there that are lighter than rifle.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Another first time poster, you must be thinking here we go again.

Need some help on whether i should change my shft or just get better at hitting

1. Srixon W506 9.5 Stock Shaft (S, high flex p, 59g, torq 4.1, D2, 45")

2. I have a shorter type swing quickish SS95-100mph

3. handicap 15, consistency 4-5

4. Probably shot dispersion, when i am hitting well, I think maybe the weight, I like the traj of current set up.

5. No

6. tighter shot dispersion

7. no

I hear the stock shaft is a bit weak (SV-3004). This what got me thinking, however my consistency is not the best, so perhaps i should rectify this first.

Have you heard much about the stock shaft yourself?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Joe,

Another first time poster, you must be thinking here we go again.

Need some help on whether i should change my shft or just get better at hitting

2. I have a shorter type swing quickish SS95-100mph

4. Probably shot dispersion, when i am hitting well, I think maybe the weight, I like the traj of current set up.

5. No

7. no

I hear the stock shaft is a bit weak (SV-3004). This what got me thinking, however my consistency is not the best, so perhaps i should rectify this first.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry, No one can help without at least LM Data.

Joe

Hi Joe,

In response to your reply I had a LM session today( re post #44 22 Jun). It was eye opening

Clubmaker thinks I could do with more club loft.

2. I have a shorter type swing quickish.

4. Probably shot dispersion, when i am hitting well, I think maybe the shaft weight, I like the traj of current set up.

5. SS95-100mph, 12-15* LA range (tee was lower than my normal), 140-150 mph BS, Spin rate 1500-2500 avg

7. no

Should I just get a new driver

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Dave

Hi Joe,

In response to your reply I had a LM session today( re post #44 22 Jun). It was eye opening

Clubmaker thinks I could do with more club loft.

2. I have a shorter type swing quickish.

4. Probably shot dispersion, when i am hitting well, I think maybe the shaft weight, I like the traj of current set up.

5. SS95-100mph, 12-15* LA range (tee was lower than my normal), 140-150 mph BS, Spin rate 1500-2500 avg

7. no

Should I just get a new driver

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Dave

From your info, i assume you have a tendency hitting it on the lower traj more than high due to inconsistency on your contact.

Get a heavier shaft to smoothen up your quick tempo, 65 to maybe even 75 if you can handle it. Mid to mid low kick point but with lower torque to stiffen up the tip section to handle your quick jerky tempo. Hopefully you'll gain consistency on your contact at least.

Last but not least, To be honest due to your consistency level, you will need more lesson than buying new driver. You'll find it more enjoyable in the future.

Joe

To you all,

I'm answering all of your questions here for FREE and base on your post w/ honest good intention.

Plus I don't fit just for the sake you can change equipment and ignoring your swing fault or need to improve on it to gain more enjoyment in the future for a long term.

Please don't be to sensitive about it, i have no bad intention.

Read it carefully again on my first post and the link to it, I hope you can understand from my position point of view. If naturally you are a sensitive person, hold all your questions before posting and open up your mind if you can't take my honest answer. Again read the whole post if you have to... to make my job helping you easier.

Thanks!

Joe

Hey Joe, I have ashaft quiery for you:

So I am going to pick up an FT-5 9.5* tour head, neutral face pretty soon, and I was wondering what's a good shaft to go with it? My current club is a BB Ti 454 driver, with a UST V2, mid kickpoint, and 65 grams of weight, stiff shaft. It feels too whippy..possibly too light? WHich is why I want to get a new setup.

My swing speed is anywhere from 105 to about 118 or so, if I get a good swing. My average distance is 280. My average launch angle is 14.2*, and my RPMs are low, at around 2600 or so. I have a natural draw flight path. My tempo is slow to medium. My price range is under $90. Can you make a suggestion?

Hey Joe, I have ashaft quiery for you:

So I am going to pick up an FT-5 9.5* tour head, neutral face pretty soon, and I was wondering what's a good shaft to go with it? My current club is a BB Ti 454 driver, with a UST V2, mid kickpoint, and 65 grams of weight, stiff shaft. It feels too whippy..possibly too light? WHich is why I want to get a new setup.

My swing speed is anywhere from 105 to about 118 or so, if I get a good swing. My average distance is 280. My average launch angle is 14.2*, and my RPMs are low, at around 2600 or so. I have a natural draw flight path. My tempo is slow to medium. My price range is under $90. Can you make a suggestion?

Again I need more detail info please! Impossible to help here!

Your current set up is perfect already IMO. You can try get a heavier shaft for better control probably.

I recently went to the Callaway Golf Center in Las Vegas and spent 30 minutes hitting a driver. In the end, they sold me an off-the-shelf driver. 10.5, FT-5 Tour, FT-5 Tour Graphite shaft, stiff, neutral bias. I used to play the original Taylormade R-7 quad with a stock stiff shaft. While I probably gained 10-15 yards, my tendency is to leave the ball out right. If I slow my swing down, I'm more likely to hit it straight. The problem is transitioning from irons to the driver and having to change my swing speed or tempo to hit in or near the fairway. It feels like the FT-5 stock shaft is lighter? Here's my stats and I have no idea what they really mean. Can someone help me?

Club Head Speed: 111.4

Ball Speed: 156.4

Launch angle: 11:9

Side angle: 0.10 right

Back spin: 3424

Side spin: 444 left

Swing path: 2.77 right

Angle: 4.77 down.

What the heck does all that mean?

I realize I shouldn't have to change (meaning slow) my swing when switching between irons and the driver, so I'm thinking the proper shaft would resolve that issue?

I hover around a 8-10 handicap.

Thanks in advance!

Chris from Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

Joe looking for recommendation for a iron/wedge shaft.

1. What is the club existing set up? Wishon 560MC 6-AW and 56-60 CX Micros Apollo Hump 'R' approx D2 38" 7 Iron normal .5 increments

2. What type of swinger are you? smooth with very early release

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? approx 10 handicap with consistent swing think Bruce Litsky I can pick up any club at any time and be able to play decent golf with it.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Shafts feel very boardy and harsh ball flight very high "ballooning" ball starts out good then just drops out of the sky.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? Last LM session issues with readings so no updated data really no LM available in area to do testing on.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Better feel in the irons as well as better trajectory with no ballooning.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? Yes. Standard lie angle.

8. No hook or slice tend to be a slight pull when swing gets past parallel or slight push when have not rotated hands properly through impact.

Joe looking for recommendation for a iron/wedge shaft.

1. What is the club existing set up? Wishon 560MC 6-AW and 56-60 CX Micros Apollo Hump 'R' approx D2 38" 7 Iron normal .5 increments

2. What type of swinger are you? smooth with very early release

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? approx 10 handicap with consistent swing think Bruce Litsky I can pick up any club at any time and be able to play decent golf with it.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Shafts feel very boardy and harsh ball flight very high "ballooning" ball starts out good then just drops out of the sky.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? Last LM session issues with readings so no updated data really no LM available in area to do testing on.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Better feel in the irons as well as better trajectory with no ballooning.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? Yes. Standard lie angle.

8. No hook or slice tend to be a slight pull when swing gets past parallel or slight push when have not rotated hands properly through impact.

How fast is your SS w/ 5 iron and how far you normally hit 5 iron?

My 5 iron is approx 85mph and about 175 distance on 7 is about 150. I could get more but that is my comfortable swing. Most of my distance comes from good contact on the clubhead. I rarely hit the club on the toe or heel.

I would go w/ Normal DGS200 or if you think it's to heavy go w/ DGSL300 softstep once. I still think the heavier shaft better for feel in your case to make sure your hands staying a head of the ball at impact . Just make sure you got the right lie angle for a better and more consistent shot.

Check also w/ local teaching pro on how bad your casting problem at impact position by using a slow motion camera. If you do have this real bad, you really have to fix your swing too...there are no other shaft can help you if you can't fix your casting also.

Good luck!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on a couple of things: let me give you some info, i appreciate the help in advance:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

Nike Sumo, 9.5*, S flex, Adilia VS Proto by you 65, D3, 45in,

Kind of in the middle, I attack the ball very aggressively on the downswing, which causes me to sometimes come over the top and get a quick pull hook (or if I catch it in time in that instance, I will chicken wing it and lose power to keep it straight). Normally, I come from the inside (sometimes too much)

Index is 13.9, consistent is probably about a 7, with 10 being a tour player

Distance and I feel like the shaft is not stable and so I don’t feel like I can go as hard as I can

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

Yes, here are the results – (averages) 100+-5mph, 11.4%+-3.9* angle, 137+-8 ball speed, 3285 +-461rpm backspin, sidespin-74rpm,

More distance and less dispersion, more solid feeling throughout swing

my irons, also fitted, are standard lie and length

8. etc.

three questions:

One on the driver: The fitting guy said that I should get a Diamana blue, 83 R, based on the results of his testing. Does this make sense to you? My buddy just sold me a TM 425 TP 10.5 stiff, stock staft (rombax fuji), D3, 45inches, for cheap, so this might be my new go to club. I don’t have any launch monitor results since I just got this club, but would the diamana blue be good in this club as well?

Second question: I have a mizuno mp001 3 wood with a fujikura tour platform, 26.3, stiff flex (demo day purchase a few years ago) and I am looking to reshaft a 5 wood (old Cleveland quadpro that I love) and wondering if I should get another fuji tour platform 26.3, stiff, of if I should get another shaft (in both) that is better and closer to what I need based on the "positive" results of the diamana blue (according to the guy)

Third: is there a cheaper alternative to the diamana blue that is similar? $300 * 3 woods is a lot of cazash.

thank you!

odd numbers

i went to a bridgestone launch monitor fitting and my numbers made me want to reshaft my driver

Driver: r7 425 10.5 V2 Stiff 65g

Avg SS: 111 mph

Launch angle: 15

Avg Ball Speed: 148 mph

Back spin: 3800

Avg Carry: 240

i was making pretty good contact with the driver so i'm not sure what leading to the low ball speed compared to my SS. would i benefit from and Xstiff V2??? i feel like i'm losing yardage because of all the numbers compared to my SS. Please Help.

Hi,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on a couple of things: let me give you some info, i appreciate the help in advance:

Nike Sumo, 9.5*, S flex, Adilia VS Proto by you 65, D3, 45in,

Kind of in the middle, I attack the ball very aggressively on the downswing, which causes me to sometimes come over the top and get a quick pull hook (or if I catch it in time in that instance, I will chicken wing it and lose power to keep it straight). Normally, I come from the inside (sometimes too much)

Index is 13.9, consistent is probably about a 7, with 10 being a tour player

Distance and I feel like the shaft is not stable and so I don’t feel like I can go as hard as I can

Yes, here are the results â€â€Å" (averages) 100+-5mph, 11.4%+-3.9* angle, 137+-8 ball speed, 3285 +-461rpm backspin, sidespin-74rpm,

More distance and less dispersion, more solid feeling throughout swing

my irons, also fitted, are standard lie and length

8. etc.

three questions:

One on the driver: The fitting guy said that I should get a Diamana blue, 83 R, based on the results of his testing. Does this make sense to you? My buddy just sold me a TM 425 TP 10.5 stiff, stock staft (rombax fuji), D3, 45inches, for cheap, so this might be my new go to club. I don’t have any launch monitor results since I just got this club, but would the diamana blue be good in this club as well?

Second question: I have a mizuno mp001 3 wood with a fujikura tour platform, 26.3, stiff flex (demo day purchase a few years ago) and I am looking to reshaft a 5 wood (old Cleveland quadpro that I love) and wondering if I should get another fuji tour platform 26.3, stiff, of if I should get another shaft (in both) that is better and closer to what I need based on the "positive" results of the diamana blue (according to the guy)

Third: is there a cheaper alternative to the diamana blue that is similar? $300 * 3 woods is a lot of cazash.

thank you!

Base on your LM data, especially launch angle in relation to your spin rate... I would check your swing path first if you have a tendency on decending blow and swaying your hip forward. I would fix those first if i were you IMO. I don't think changing the shaft will help you that much IMO.

Joe