2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

High School Golfers

Hey guys,

Based on the introductions in a couple of the other threads, it sounds like a lot of you play on your high school golf teams. Does anyone have their season in the fall? If so, how did your season go? For those of you in the spring, how do your teams look for the year? Lots of experienced guys coming back and high hopes, or is it more of a rebuilding year?

-Thomas

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a fall season here in PA....team only goes to districs not states....we placed second in districs which was dissapointing since we had such a strong team this year. I got to individuals in leagues but played just awful and didnt move on. :tongue: o wel ill hafta win states next year. next year will be a big individual year seeing as how we are losing a bunch of seniors. the girl on our golf team has a full ride to the University of arizona.

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

our girl's fall season is over, i got first overall at the conference championship for JV. our varsity team was undefeated and placed 5th at state by 9 strokes!! next year should be a great season since we didn't lose any of our varsity girls and i'm hoping to be on that team full time!!

GOO TRITONS!

well my season is in the spring, and team wise, we are not looking good at all. A lot of young guys coming in who are not very good, but god golfers are scarce at my school. there is supposed to be a freshman who is decent, but that still will not help us to get into states i dont think. Im probably the oldest guy on the team...and im a junior. Lucky for me i should be making a states appearance thanks to individual performance, unless i get retarted in the division tourny like i did last year.

well here in tx its really year round but i started out great but lately i've been in a slump but i'm slowly climbing out of it as a team i think its the strongest team were gonna have for a long time.too bad our school isn't really a "golfing" school.i am really the best one there and i feel i can win a district title but i need to get out of this slump!!!!!!!!!!!! i had shot a 97 to start the slump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF! oh wells some times you got it and sometimes you really play like you haven't played before :tongue:

TM R9 SuperTri TP 8.5° FujiMotoreF1-S
Ping Isi 3W 15°
Adams Super 17° Voodooo S
Ping i20 4-PW CFS-X
TM TP-Y 52°, Nike Vr 56° 60°
Yes! Madison 34" SS Flatso

We in Minnesota have golf as a spring sport. Should be a great team this year, we will be returning our Conferences medalist and another All-Conference player. Our 3 and 4 golfers should be very strong and I should fit in around the 5 spot maybe 4. Also our Conference matches this year will be six 18 hole matches instead of 8 nine hole matches. Sweet even more school that we get to miss but more work to make up.

i coach the local high school (my alma matter) varsity boy's golf team and let me tell you they were absolutely horrid (we play fall by the way)... beginning of the year the kids were barely breaking 80 and then we worked on some things, short game mainly/distance control/etc and ended up winning our conference, third in regionals, and in sectionals didn't even come close making it to state, but overall it was a great year for our program in a re-building year... next year we should be okay, but these kids need to practice!!!

i coach the local high school (my alma matter) varsity boy's golf team and let me tell you they were absolutely horrid (we play fall by the way)... beginning of the year the kids were barely breaking 80 and then we worked on some things, short game mainly/distance control/etc and ended up winning our conference, third in regionals, and in sectionals didn't even come close making it to state, but overall it was a great year for our program in a re-building year... next year we should be okay, but these kids need to practice!!!

72624[/snapback]

Geeze, i wish i had a golf coach who actually did something...he's more of a supervisor than a coach...he just rides along with the team and plays free golf. gets paid like $5,000 extra to coach the team too. Its all up to us players to do stuff. he's lucky hes had real quality players and that 3 kids in the last 4 years ended up at leadbetter after the season...... this year was the best team our school has ever had and now that the season is over all our seniors are graduating and its just me and one of my best friends left on the team...our young guys and guys that will be seniors but ahdnt made varsity yet will all have roles to play while me and my buddy go low and provide a solid backbone for the team.....we are only a month since the season ended and me and my buddy are already strategizing and planning for next year. We gotta whip this team into shape!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great coach would help but ours isnt about to give up the extra $5,000 a year anytime soon.

:cheesy: DaN "goose" :cheesy: :)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

72624[/snapback]

Gosh....I wish that my high school golf coach was more like that. Mine just had us play 9 holes every day after school, with no discussion as to strategy, or how to go about executing various shots. We were only successful because a number of our guys were members at our home course.

-Thomas

This year was my 2nd year of actually playing golf (late starter), it was also the first year I was on the golf team. Our team was the best in our section, with all six starters (including myself) making it to sectionals. Our number 1 man is going to states in the spring. I scrambled my way through season, not use to the different mindset of actual competition. I shot a few low rounds, but the highest I shot was a 45. It was so much different from what I expected, I felt so much more up-tight vs. playing with my buddies. Now that I'm use to what goes on, I should be able to come back strong next year. Too bad next year is my senior year, because this high school golf stuff is so much fun, especially when your team is #1! (hey, that ryhmes)

Geeze, i wish i had a golf coach who actually did something...he's more of a supervisor than a coach...he just rides along with the team and plays free golf. gets paid like $5,000 extra to coach the team too. Its all up to us players to do stuff. he's lucky hes had real quality players and that 3 kids in the last 4 years ended up at leadbetter after the season...... this year was the best team our school has ever had and now that the season is over all our seniors are graduating and its just me and one of my best friends left on the team...our young guys and guys that will be seniors but ahdnt made varsity yet will all have roles to play while me and my buddy go low and provide a solid backbone for the team.....we are only a month since the season ended and me and my buddy are already strategizing and planning for next year. We gotta whip this team into shape!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great coach would help but ours isnt about to give up the extra $5,000 a year anytime soon.

:cheesy: DaN "goose" :cheesy: :)

72655[/snapback]

Thanks Goose,

You're gonna laugh at this, but i volunteer coaching them. Like i said it's my alma matter and i wanna see the kids play well, and i hate seeing how the golf program went to hell. From day one of tryouts i was working with the guys ( i didn't cut a single one of them) after watching them flop shots from 20 yards short of the gree, and missing greens from inside 130 yards, and not know how to control trajectory (ie punch shots), i knew i was into some deep sh!t. Because fall golf in chicagoland is pretty frickin windy and our home course is a links style course so these jokers and pounding the ball wayyyyy up in the air, and i was like you have got to be kidding me?! But all in all the kids all improved a bunch, i had one kid who shot like 92-94-88 in tryouts... at the end of the year he shot 36-37 in our last two 9-hole matches... i was sooo proud of him; that's why i coach these guys

Great to hear that ...since thats a way that coaches should be. Your a class act. My coach isnt gonna know what hits him after me and my buddy graduate next year. he'll have no talent and be left in the dust by the rival teams in our league.

DaN "goose"

Great to hear that ...since thats a way that coaches should be.  Your a class act.  My coach isnt gonna know what hits him after me and my buddy graduate next year. he'll have no talent and be left in the dust by the rival teams in our league.

DaN "goose"

73101[/snapback]

Yeah, so is our coach. Our playas are gonna be seniors next year, hopefully, I can also be a playa and not just a player. haha. But, our coach is cool, he lets us do our own thing. He may give us a suggestion is we are fading or hooking, but other than that, he trusts our ability and lets us play our game. As he says "I don't coach persay... I just drive the van." We all joke he's gonna retire when we graduate, because they'll be nothing left for him to win with.

My school is notorious for having horrible athletic teams, but i think this year we could have a strong team, My friend kris and I should be the best 1-2 punch in the division, and our 3-4 should keep it under 85. If we can find a 5 that can keep it under 90 we'll do alright. We have some schools that shoot like 5 over for the 6 of them, and we are not goin to that good. Hopefully we'll get a good freshman that will keep us in it.

Dynomike

:) Here at Leesville High School in Raleigh, North Carolina, our girls team won states for the second year in a row. Our guys team looks alright at the moment, but we did lose our number 1 player (scratch) last year when he graduated. I am about a 5 handi but I missed the cut last year. A couple of the kids got really slack during the off season but I think we will at least make states.

• 2 weeks later...

well my team plays in the fall. we had a great team this year consiting on 2 sohp (me) #1 and 4 2 jr #2 and 5 and 1 sr #3 we played solid all year me and my best friend (#2) won a combined 9 tournaments of 11 including regionals (me). but we got to state ad it was disapointing are scores went as folows

1. 73 70

2. 75 76

3.80 80

4. 84 74

5.90 84

that was kinda disapointing but all in all it was a good year

Adam and I both played on the same team at Detroit Catholic Central and our school won in 2003 and were pretty good this year and took 5th with adam finishing 2nd and me following behind with 12th. MI golf is thinking about moving to spring so it won't be very good

Yep, Mike is right. I got to DCC and we had a rough year. We were the only 2 we could count on to go under par when we needed it.

Adam