We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Practice in the Winter

sync71 ·  
sync71sync71  1534WRX Points: 0Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,534
Well I have had to put the clubs away for another long winter unlike some of you lucky people my season is done which sucks image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />. I was wondering what you all do for practice int he snowy winter months? Do you do any fitness training, do yo have a net, and do u putt around your living room carpet. I do the putting all the time. I am going to be buy a net this winter and as for training what do all of you do?Because I have never really done off season fitness training and I was wondering what to do.
Posted:

Comments

• Croonie15Croonie15  528WRX Points: 60Members Posts: 528
    Will i live in MN. So it's starting to snow up here as of now. My instructor is in Dallas so i make a few trips down there over the winter months to work with him. As for fitness, i have a personal trainer that builds me workout routines and helps me with flexibillity. i is a great way to go but i am 18 and getting my game ready for college, and the pro ranks. if your younger, i would just do push ups situps, lots of ab work, and flexibility as well. Being flexible is very important. If you can get a personal trainer that can monitor what you are doing and can guide you along the way. That is very important.

Croonie
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolferGal2009GolferGal2009 about that....  466WRX Points: 0Members, Jr. Boomers Posts: 466
    It is currently snowing as i type so my "outdoor" golf season is officially over. Every day i hit into a net for about 1-2 hours and putt on a mat. I'm just starting some sports medicine golf program at this medical center which is pretty cool. There are personal trainers and pros to help you there. They have a ton of cool high tech golf related excercise machines which i'm pumped to use!! No one will recognize me next season! image/bb.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> jk!!
    Posted:
  • Lord ThomasLord Thomas Resident Royal  880WRX Points: 0Junior Mod Squad Posts: 880
    Living in Wisconsin, my season is over....we got snow today :-( . However, I am planning on using the winter to get in shape for next year.

My strength coach gave me a series of stretches and crunches to use to work on my flexibility and strengthening my core and lower back. He also has me walking on a treadmill (I suggested running but was overrulled....) a couple of miles a time, about three times a week, so that my legs have the endurance to walk 36 holes of competitive golf a day.

-Thomas
    Posted:
  • sync71sync71  1534WRX Points: 0Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,534
    Lord Thomas wrote on Nov 16 2005, 10:05 PM:
    Living in Wisconsin, my season is over....we got snow today :-( .  However, I am planning on using the winter to get in shape for next year.

My strength coach gave me a series of stretches and crunches to use to work on my flexibility and strengthening my core and lower back.  He also has me walking on a treadmill (I suggested running but was overrulled....) a couple of miles a time, about three times a week, so that my legs have the endurance to walk 36 holes of competitive golf a day.

-Thomas
    »

Thats a good idea I have a treadmill, Except never really use it I should start doing that so I can start walking more 36 hole rounds without getting as tired.

Also this might sound like a stupid qestion but does anyone know where I can get a net at a good price?
    Posted:
  • BridgestoneKevinBridgestoneKevin Take what you want, not whats givin  301WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 301
    i live in ice cold PA right now, it is killing me, yesterday it was great 70 degree weather, and today the high was 40 !!!!! my coach has his own indor practice facility that i work with everyday to keep everything in check. but its tough not seeing the results outside.
    Posted:
  • GooseGoose  1270WRX Points: 55Junior Mod Squad Posts: 1,270
    image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> Hey i live in PA too itsa not that bad here.... 70- one day it was awesome today 40 but definately playable weather...during the winter i fly to florida every 3 weeks or so for 3-4 days down to my grandparents house to work on my game and stay sharp..as long as its not snowing or raining ill play .... i'd def break out the pocket warmers and cart mitts.... I actually just got back from the gym started my offseason workout.... just some cario...then light weights just to gets the muscles warmed up.... im going to start with my trainer next week...... ill always swing or go in the backyard and work on those 5 yd an inshots out of thick rough.....just make up some targets....my season is never really over i have to stay sharp bc il travel for some tourneys over the winter months...my next tourney isnt til the END of december after Xmas so that is why i started working out now. image/bb.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

I still have to talk to cory puyear or Athletico to talk to him about indoor golf training facilities like his in PA.

Best of luck

DaN
    Posted:
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Advertisement
  • BridgestoneKevinBridgestoneKevin Take what you want, not whats givin  301WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 301
    well i just got word, that my coachs range is not going to be up and running because he works at hartefeld too, so he does not want to pay for heating at his range and hartefeld, so he is turning hartfelds outdoor range to have a couple heated tents and then his school building wtih the computers, it will be great. Although i will not be able to get out on the course as often as i would like, because i have to walk the course. i am not so crazy that i will freeze to death while walking, a cart might be differnt.
    Posted:
  • pgatompgatom  34WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 34
    im from northern ireland, im 17 and play on the junor tour over here - there are 5 under 18 tounries, 5 under 21 tournies and like 10 mens comps i play in all of them. the winters here are quite cold and windy especially in royal coounty down golf lcub, where i practice in the winter, the range is perfect and so are the greens. i played in the ricki rarick junior tour and the arizona junior golf association tour, i won twice came second once and finished 5th twice, so it wasnt a bad season., my uncle is my coach he is in tucson arizona, i give him videos of my swing every week to keep on plane etc. has anybody got any good fitness exercises for the back and lower body

tom
    Posted:
    Goose wrote on Nov 17 2005, 09:39 PM:
    image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> Hey i live in PA too itsa not that bad here.... 70- one day it was awesome today 40 but definately playable weather...during the winter i fly to florida every 3 weeks or so for 3-4 days down to my grandparents house to work on my game and stay sharp..as long as its not snowing or raining ill play .... i'd def break out the pocket warmers and cart mitts....  I actually just got back from the gym started my offseason workout.... just some cario...then light weights just to gets the muscles warmed up.... im going to start with my trainer next week......  ill always swing or go in the backyard and work on those 5 yd an inshots out of thick rough.....just make up some targets....my season is never really over i have to stay sharp bc il travel for some tourneys over the winter months...my next tourney isnt til the END of december after Xmas so that is why i started working out now. image/bb.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

I still have to talk to cory puyear or Athletico to talk to him about indoor golf training facilities like his in PA.

Best of luck

DaN
    »

Thatd be so awesome to be able to fly down to my uncles in florida and play every 3 weeks but I dont have enough money lol.
    Posted:
  • golfer_juniorgolfer_junior  1152WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1,152
    Well in the winter I go to the range about 5 times a week and lift weights for 30 mins or so at night. Right now I do 25 reps bench pres at 150 lbs, 50 lbs curls (each arm), then stretch out and work the abs and do some triceps and back strengthening exercises with a medacine ball (?).
    Posted:
  • SCameron009SCameron009 ¡~WRX~!  1784WRX Points: 115Members Posts: 1,784
    I live in Maine, so the season has officially ended for us image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> Starting last week I started my winter workout regimen, I start eating heathier (more concious about what type of foods I eat), I work out 5 days a week (3 days in the gym, and 2 days I go out for ~5 mile runs, just to keep the cardiovascular health in shape).

Last winter was the first winter I started doing this, and I could tell a huge difference in my physical condition during the days that you play from sun up to sun down. For breakfast, I usually have a fruit (most of the time either a banana or oarnge), 2 eggs (I only eat the whites), and either a muffin or toast. Lunch is normally a big meal for me, I make sure I have a good variety, our school lunches are actually VERY good about giving us options (Deli Bar, where we can make our own sandwich or wrap, Salad Bar, that has spinich and iceburg lettuce to choose from, along with fruits and vegies up to your eye balls, it's great --> also for the typical highschool student there is the hot lunch, which is like a grilled chicken sandwich, pizza, pasta, ect.). We have two 25 minute lunch breaks, and I eat during both of them. I have a Wrap (Tomato Wrap, Lettuce, Tomato, Grilled Chicken, American Cheese, and LF Ranch Dressing), along with a salad, with a fruit that looks appealing to me. For the second lunch, I normally pick up one of the hot lunches if there is something that I like (I LOVE when they serve the pasta, because carbs are very important for keeping energy). After school I head right to the weight room on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Our school has a really neat set up, it looks just like something you would find at a YMCA, or any typical gym. I work with medicine balls, squats, bench pressing and shoulder stuff, and also the core (abdominals, also lower back) is VERY important to keep strong.

As for working on the golf swing, I have a Big Moss putting green in the basement which I spend A LOT of time on, working on those 10 footers, and right before I go to bed every night, I won't go to sleep until I make 100 five footers in a row. My pro and I set up a net and big mat in the bar and grille of the club house so he and I can work on our swings during the winter. I also go down to my fathers house who lives in Alabama during February break, so I go and play some of the Robert Trent Jones golf Trail, also during April, I go down to Louisiana to my Grandparents house and spend a lot of time over at the LSU practice facility (the public facility has a REALLY good range and short game facility. They have a ginormous putting green with two bunkers, a little par three course to keep your wedge game tight, and a all grass HUGE hitting surface for the range, it's a lot of fun). I think winter is a great time to get into good shape for the upcoming golf season, think about it, if you spend all winter just sitting around, maybe swinging a club here and there, and put on 10-15 pounds, and your cardio health goes to **** you're not going to feel very good after a 36 hole walk in those first two months of golf season.

Just a thought, start working out, and do some low and high stress cardio work outs, but remember your core is one of the most important parts of the golf swing strength.

Later boys, Bryan
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Flo37Flo37  341WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 341
    Seasons now over here in Minnesota, won't be lifting that much this winter as I'm trying to stay fresh for the entire hockey season. Anybody who says football is tougher than hockey should see me on Fridays and Sundays, the day after games. I'm going to be setting my net up pretty soon and I work on my stroke a lot on the carpet in my basement. I'm also driving to Florida over spring break and I shouldbe able to play 7-10 rounds to get ready for the season. Seasons been over for only four days and I can't wait for next year.

As far as my workouts in the winter, a lot of abs, more stretching than anything else, running, bench, some squats, and in the spring I start my off-season hockey workouts, which include a lot of weights and alot of running.
    Posted:
    Thanks guys for all the tips you have given me on a work out routine. I am going to get it all set up tonight so by the time next season comes I will be in excellent condition and ready for the new season.
    Posted:
  • ScottWS33ScottWS33 Up and down for par  1379WRX Points: 0Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,379
    Year is well and truly over here. I will do some weight training and go to the range most weeks. Over the winter it is a good time to seriously revamp your swing as your not playing any competitive golf. Unfortunately becuase of the weather I have been on the course in 3 weeks! I think I'm getting withdrawl symptoms.
    Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9° (set to 10°) w/ Speeder 565 Stiff
    Titleist 910F 17° (set to 16.25°) w/ MFT Kai'li 75 Stiff
    Titleist 913H 21° (set to 20.25°) w/ Diamana S+ 82HY Stiff
    Titleist AP2 4-9 w/ XP 95 S300
    Vokey SM4 46°, 52°, 56°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron GoLo S 34"
  • kevlar foxkevlar fox  79WRX Points: 0Jr. Boomers Posts: 79
    dead

im ded
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NCSU Wolfpack 10NCSU Wolfpack 10  165WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 165
    I usually practice at a heated range. If you go at night the lights help out and you can see everthing. Ballflight is very easily picked up with the lights and it is quite warm as well.

Adam
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • italianstallionitalianstallion Bethpage Black - 8th hole  3031WRX Points: 134Junior Mod Squad Posts: 3,031
    Indoor Golf Dome near me=huge. I'm going there tomorrow, can't wait. You can pick up on what your ball flight is there, the wall is 150 yards out, unless you have a small fade/cut. But, You'll know if you hit a slice or hook. If I really need to see ball flight the entire way, I'll go to a heated range, but only if it's a dire situtation (like if the dome is closed).

I go to basically keep loose.
    Posted:
  • Mike704Mike704  50WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 50
    yeah i go to the golf domes hear in the Chicagoland area. We have two heated domes which are really nice and heated. They also have 40 yd putting greens. Also our swing coach out hear has an awesome garage which is used for lessons, etc.
    Posted:
  • fpmdl3fpmdl3  190WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 190
    I go with the guy thats posted right before me. Halla!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.