Where would you retire to golf?

[quote name='act0fgod' timestamp='1350610761' post='5814717']
[quote name='Sir Larry Wildman' timestamp='1350573358' post='5811539']
Winter in Palm Beach and play Seminole, Everglades Club.

Summer in the Hamptons and play the National, Shinnecock, Sebonack, Maidetone, Friar's Head.
[/quote]

Unfortunately for most there are a few things that make this suggestion a no-go. The money and potentially a bigger issue the connections required for memberships at these places. If money and connections were no issue, you can't get much better.
[/quote]

I always took these threads to be more about wishful thinking!

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

If money was not an issue I would retire to Desert Mountain. 5 maybe 6 different Nicklaus courses great practice facilities and I would not have to leave Scottsdale http://desertmountain.com/nicklaus-golf/

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

At 58 years old I read this thread with a little bit more than a passing interest. I'm going to be a middle class (and not upper middle class) retiree. Don't overlook becoming "trailer trash". A more than decent trailer can be had in Florida. Estate trailer, furniture included. There are some damn nice trailer parks in Florida.

All that said; Being an east coast boy... If I can find a place in Myrtle Beach you'll find me there. And in Ohio for the June through September golf season.
Unless I can persuade a certain lady friend to adopt me in Clearwater. Pray for me! :pimp:

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1350657677' post='5816577']
[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1350614843' post='5815041']
[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1350583283' post='5812449']
[quote name='highscoreinky' timestamp='1350577589' post='5811911']
For me it would be Hilton Head Island. Wife is in agreement so that's the plan for us.
[/quote]

What is your time frame? There are some SCREAMING deals right now if you plan to retire in the next 3 years or so.

We have a vacation condo in HHI now and are thinking about a home at some point. It will either be HHI or the gulf side of Southern Florida. There are so many excellent golf communities. Maybe to many.
[/quote]

Seriously considering HHI. Time frame 3-4 years. Definitely a private club. Which do you suggest?
[/quote]

Off Island the top three are probably Colleton River, Berkeley Hall and Belfair. Right now you can get a lot for FREE and some will pay your first years dues to get out. They are great communities, it's just that people bought on speculation and now have decided not to build a home but the annual dues bill keeps rolling in. You can google the story from the WSJ discussing the plight/opportunity down there.

That of course leads to the next question. How financially stable are these communities? Haven't looked that closely yet because we are a few years further out than you are. Each community has two spectacular golf courses. Plenty of options for golf..... plenty of cost to maintain. I think the annual dues are around $12k a year. Not horrible when you consider the quality of golf. They have reciprocal arrangements in the off season so your golfing options are pretty spectacular.

Traffic can be pretty brutal during the summer (peak tourist season) but in my opinion it is worth it. There is simply so much to do down there. Biking, fishing, tennis, golf...etc

On Island I think Long Cove is the way to go. The houses are fairly reasonable and the golf is one of the best in the state. It's a smaller community so it has only one golf course but it's spectacular (from what I have heard). Have not played it yet. Need to get on that! ;-)
[/quote]Good info. I'll be there in a few weeks looking around. :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 4 months later...

If you're thinking of splitting time during the year, I'd recommend Portland, OR in the Summer/Fall and AZ or SoCal in the winter. Lots of affordable golf in Portland with proximity to great golf in Bend, Bandon and Washington. Portland is kind of the ideal blend of a cosmopolitan city and a down-to-earth town. Big enough to support plenty of culture without many of the big city problems (traffic, crime, expensive) and people are genuinely friendly and easy going. I love it here. Just wish I could get away for a chunk of the winter. Gotta address in the long range plan.

I'll be going back to Tucson.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Florida is just too darn hot & humid (well, Miami, as my younger sister lives there & I've been there plenty of times)... how's North Carolina? I've heard & read that weather is good and it has awesome golf courses everywhere. Maybe San Diego, but do they suffer from earthquake problems like the rest of California?

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1350357415' post='5799947']
$125 K is not a lot to retire on unless it is at a Golf Community. There are a number of golf retirement communities in AZ and Florida. Phoenix is like living on the face of the Sun, I would shoot for
Florida or southern Alabama. Both are very affordable.
[/quote]
125K a year is a lot in retirement! That is 3x the family income of working people...

I disagree, 125K is not a lot of money. I am retired and make 125K a year, with mortgage, vacations, car
payment I can afford a club that was 6K to join and $350 a mo. If you go to Phoenix (hotter than Hell), you will pay $100 per round of golf and up. San Diego is great for weather but the cost of golf is very high as are the taxes. I used to work in Maui, great place but golf is very expensive. I assume since
you are retiring for golf you want to play 3 - 4 times a week, factor in playing at different courses so
you don't get bored.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1363574834' post='6633485']
I disagree, 125K is not a lot of money. I am retired and make 125K a year, with mortgage, vacations, car
payment I can afford a club that was 6K to join and $350 a mo. If you go to Phoenix (hotter than Hell), you will pay $100 per round of golf and up. San Diego is great for weather but the cost of golf is very high as are the taxes. I used to work in Maui, great place but golf is very expensive. I assume since
you are retiring for golf you want to play 3 - 4 times a week, factor in playing at different courses so
you don't get bored.
[/quote]
well, most people should not have debt when they retire. Car payments and mortgage in retirement? What Financial Planner would recommend that?

And in Phoenix, they have plenty of private clubs you can join so you don't have to pay $100 per round.

Should not and have not are 2 different things. I retired at 62, I am reasonably healthy and expect to
live quite a while. I play golf with 2 gentlemen who are in their 80s and going strong, carry a low
handicap, and walk the course. You don't hibernate because you retire, this is the time to start living
your life, new things, new challenges. I don't have a rocking chair, but do live in a gated community,
have a mercedes, a younger wife. Life is good, but not excessive.

My grandmother lived to 100, I am going in July to my uncles 93rd birthday. Don't scrimp on your
afterlife. Oh yea, I retired in Albuquerque, NM, great weather all year and many courses
around at low cost. The stage coach comes through once a week so travel is no problem.

Palm Springs in my opinion is over rated golf wise. Yes there are plenty of good courses but 99% are very expensive, even to join. Green fee play there for retirement is very tough, it will bleed u financially. Phoenix is BIG, but the golf is abundant and more affordable. Lots of other options as well like all the great college and pro spectator sports(football,basketball, baseball,hockey etc etc), something Palm Springs doesn't have. Very hot in the summer and summer seems long here but heat is why we come south. I think the snowbird option is best in Arizona. But myc hoice for retirement would be South Carolina. The golf is incredible, the costs are affordable. I suggest joining a club with good recipricals with other courses. That will keeo your costs down and still give you some variety of good layouts as well as allowing you a bit of a tournament schedule if you and the wife like to play a bit of comptetive golf. The other great aspect to SC is the light travel if you chose to travel. You can skip into North Carolina or Georgia, or head south to Florida with very little effort. Lots of cheap flights, and easy drives. SanDiego used to be my favorite place on earth to go and stay for a few weeks to golf and enjoy the area. It still is a wonderful place to go, but with the skyrocketing costs there, combined with the population boom, it's no longer the great retirement mecca it used to be. Head to SC, it's got everything you'll want for a great 10-15 yrear stretch. The fact that memberships at tons of courses are available at good prices and green fee rates are down at dozens of very nearby courses, it's an easy choice. It also offers a rare 12 month golf season. Cool, perfect,hot,and finally perfect again. That;s winter,spring,summer,and fall.

[quote name='profsmitty' timestamp='1363465128' post='6624827']
Going to look st Frisco Lakes in Dallas and Del Web's Sun City in Georgetown Tx next week. Any of you guys have experience with either (or both) of these two properties.
[/quote]

When I visited Dell Web's in Georgetown I wasn't impressed. It is located in the boonies, and very car dependent, too bad.

Didn't see this mentioned by anyone yet, maybe I missed it.. but Arkansas is fantastic. Grandparents live in the very far NW corner and it is just filled with fantastic places to golf! I could see myself in that area totally.

Being from Minnesota I like my seasons, and AR has that still but just warm enough to almost never get the snow. Only about 1-2 months when you cant really golf. TX, AZ and FL seem to hot but maybe in 30 years I will feel different.

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1350294641' post='5795139']
[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1350267788' post='5794503']
......... [b]and the longer you are in a warmer climate, the more your body will climatize to the higher temps.[/b]
[/quote]

Great post except this part, but I disagree with one thing. I've lived in Texas for 30 years and I still melt every day I walk out the door during summer months. I absolutely can't stand the summer heat here, which is why I will most likely move away when I retire.
[/quote]

WOW....I'm fairly heat in-tolerant and I lived in Austin for 4 years in the early 80's while in the military. I never once found the heat there an issue....because there is rarely humidity that accompanies it. I went from there to south Georgia.....now THAT is HEAT!!! 80-90 with equal parts humidity is brutal.

BTW....My first year in Austin there was a month long stretch on highs over 100 every day. Again - it was a non-issue for me because there was nearly 0 humidity to accompany it. 30 years later, Austin is STILL the BEST place I have ever lived. Just my 2 cents...

Callaway Epic Driver, HZRDUS 5.5
Titleist 917 F2 15*, Diamana 60 R
Titleist 816 H1 (19*, 21*, 23*) Diamana 70 R, 25* Diamana 60 R
Mizuno 900 JPX Hot Metal 6-GW+ 55* SW, Project X LZ Graphite R
Bettinardi 38" Kuchar 2 NON-Armlock W/WINN Grip + 50g SuperStroke CB weight or
Scotty Cameron 35" Futura 6M 
OGIO Black Ops Shredder Cart Bag

I am in the midst of planning mine right now and at 62 will start my retirement next year. My kids and grandkids will not let me sell my MN lakehome
so will be wintering in the south. My interests are golf, motorcycling, and hunting so I am going to sell my house, spend summers at the lake and buy
a motorhome with a trailer for the Goldwing. I am planning to spend the first winter in Alabama playing the courses of the Robert Trent Jones Trail and
motorcycling, North Carolina and Tennessee weather permitting.

Fly back home for Christmas as we always spend a week to 10 days at the lake doing Christmas, snowmobiling, and ice fishing with our kids and grandkids.

The second year it will be back to Alabama or another spot. A 12 month membership that includes play on all but two of the RBT courses and range balls is only $1800.00. Parking for the motorhome will be around $400.00 a month. One can purchase one heck of a nice camper for around $250,000.00.

Buying the motorhome this summer and giving it a trial run at Sturgis in August.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]