Official Nike Covert 5 Wood Member Testing & Review Thread

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KBNYY' timestamp='1365089036' post='6759751']
Nice write up everyone! Keep the reviews coming, debating adding a Titleist or possible this 5 wood to the bag!

PS JeffyJeff, nice USMC DI headcover correct, I have one just like it!
[/quote]

Good eye Sir! It's getting old and a little tattered but i refuse to take it out of the bag.

Awesome job so far by testers, anxious to hear the distance results when loft is adjusted. The range is from 17 to ??

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

Looking forward to all the feedback. !!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='mtiger10' timestamp='1365092048' post='6760113']
Awesome job so far by testers, anxious to hear the distance results when loft is adjusted. The range is from 17 to ??
[/quote]

Loft range is 17 to 21. It's like a 4, 5, and 7 wood all in one!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

After hitting it again yesterday I have determined that the adjustability system is Marine proof. No booklet or instructions needed. You don't have to refer to a chart to see what the letters or numbers mean if they line up. I also really like how Nike worked on the hosel at address and made it a lot less obtrusive. Unlike the VR Pro which was big and bulky when looking down at the club the new system is hidden very well. My main concern thus far still is the shaft in the club. I am not a shaft snob and I usally just search for something used or for the set up I want but I had my covert sent with a stiff shaft and I'm getting way too much spin when I hit it off the tee. It's baloon central right now for me. I don't feel right saying this is a universal problem because I think the shaft would be completely fine for a majority of the golfers I see on the course but I am going to look around for something to put in the covert head. Hopefully the sleeves for the covert line won't be as hard to find as they were for previous models.

Golfworks has the Covert tips for sale. And I think they are easily pulled (like a Titleist tip)...there was a thread in the Tech section about a member that did it.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='jeffyjeffmn' timestamp='1365164238' post='6766313']
After hitting it again yesterday I have determined that the adjustability system is Marine proof. No booklet or instructions needed. You don't have to refer to a chart to see what the letters or numbers mean if they line up. I also really like how Nike worked on the hosel at address and made it a lot less obtrusive. Unlike the VR Pro which was big and bulky when looking down at the club the new system is hidden very well. My main concern thus far still is the shaft in the club. I am not a shaft snob and I usally just search for something used or for the set up I want but I had my covert sent with a stiff shaft and I'm getting way too much spin when I hit it off the tee. It's baloon central right now for me. I don't feel right saying this is a universal problem because I think the shaft would be completely fine for a majority of the golfers I see on the course but I am going to look around for something to put in the covert head. Hopefully the sleeves for the covert line won't be as hard to find as they were for previous models.
[/quote]

Jeffy, im local to you and just sent a PM, might be able to get some range time or a round together.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1365185205' post='6768877']
[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1365165375' post='6766395']
Golfworks has the Covert tips for sale. And I think they are easily pulled (like a Titleist tip)...there was a thread in the Tech section about a member that did it.
[/quote]

thanks for sharing!
[/quote]

Backordered until early May... :angry22:[size=4] [/size]

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1365185472' post='6768891']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1365185205' post='6768877']
[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1365165375' post='6766395']
[/quote]

thanks for sharing!
[/quote]

Backordered until early May... :angry22:
[/quote]

I just reshafted my Covert Tour driver today, piece of cake!!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

I was able to get out to the range again today.....I am impressed again!!

Drop a ball down on the grass, take a wack at it and the ball just flies! This head is soooo forgiving, its like playing some G15's for irons in a super hot FW!

The weather is going to be nice here this weekend, I will get out for at least one round of golf. Ill take some more pics, post up some on course experience with it as well.

On a side not, I picked up a Covert Tour driver and put the 7x black shaft that my F12ls has in it. Hit quite a few balls side by side......and the Adams is staying at home this weekend! Nothing, I mean nothing has been able to kick out my Adams combo.....but Nike has a new fan here! With the success of the driver and 5w, I see a Covert 3w in my future.....

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1365195630' post='6769945']
Did every tester pick the Tour model?
[/quote]

It's hard to pass up on the adjustability and the difference in forgiveness isn't enough. I was intrigued by the perfromance model in the beginning due to the fact that Tiger put it in play. But you can see by the pictures that Greg took a week or two ago of it that it is another tour version with a long skinny hosel and a different face shape, just like his old one-off tour issue SQ2. It looks like the performance model and has the covert tech, but that's where the comparison stops.

The tour model is very forgiving and I don't think I would be willing to give up the adjustability for more forgiveness, it just doesn't need it for me.

[quote name='VA_Astra' timestamp='1365190403' post='6769413']

Drop a ball down on the grass, take a wack at it and the ball just flies! This head is soooo forgiving, its like playing some G15's for irons in a super hot FW!

[size=4]The weather is going to be nice here this weekend, I will get out for at least one round of golf. Ill take some more pics, post up some on course experience with it as well.[/size]

On a side not, I picked up a Covert Tour driver and put the 7x black shaft that my F12ls has in it. Hit quite a few balls side by side......and the Adams is staying at home this weekend! Nothing, I mean nothing has been able to kick out my Adams combo.....but Nike has a new fan here! With the success of the driver and 5w, I see a Covert 3w in my future.....
[/quote]

I was/am playing the Adams F12 LS and have a covert tour now, will be interesting to see how they stack up on the course, they are fairly similar on the range. It's got a PX Black 6.5 in it now but I'll be on the lookout for a VTS Black 6X. I was killing it with that shaft and the tour head when I hit it in the store on the monitors. What settings were you playing on your F12 and what setting are you playing on the Covert Tour?

I also got out to the range again with the 5 wood and it only gets better. Starting to get it dialed in with the settings and my swing.

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1365202559' post='6770611']

[size=4]The weather is going to be nice here this weekend, I will get out for at least one round of golf. Ill take some more pics, post up some on course experience with it as well.[/size]

[/quote]

I was/am playing the Adams F12 LS and have a covert tour now, will be interesting to see how they stack up on the course, they are fairly similar on the range. It's got a PX Black 6.5 in it now but I'll be on the lookout for a VTS Black 6X. I was killing it with that shaft and the tour head when I hit it in the store on the monitors. What settings were you playing on your F12 and what setting are you playing on the Covert Tour?

I also got out to the range again with the 5 wood and it only gets better. Starting to get it dialed in with the settings and my swing.
[/quote]

Mine is F12ls is tour issue 9.5, was open a little but have it set to 1/2 open with a VTS Black 7x. I have an 8g weight and some cotton balls in it, the head weight is 206g. I am playing the covert at 10.5 Standard, much lower launching and lower spin than the LS. I can go left all day long with the LS and the Covert wants to have a tight little draw, same shaft....!!

My 5w is still at 17 and right. Ill let you know how it is after Sundays round.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

The weather is going to be nice here this weekend, I will get out for at least one round of golf. Ill take some more pics, post up some on course experience with it as well.

[/quote]

I don't need to hear this! If this 5 wood is good I will be FORCED to buy the driver...and maybe another fw and a hybrid. I'm going out with the a Covert Tour tomorrow on a nice, long date.

Speaking of tomorrow and trying out the Covert Tour, I was originally planning on saving all my comments for one big post but since most people are doing it more 'play-by-play' I will too. Should be able get some thoughts up tomorrow night.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1365209614' post='6771355']
[size=4]I don't need to hear this! If this 5 wood is good I will be FORCED to buy the driver...and maybe another fw and a hybrid. I'm going out with the a Covert Tour tomorrow on a nice, long date. [/size]

Speaking of tomorrow and trying out the Covert Tour, I was originally planning on saving all my comments for one big post but since most people are doing it more 'play-by-play' I will too. Should be able get some thoughts up tomorrow night.
[/quote]

Seems like everybody reviewing this thing is in Virginia? Weird.

If you like the 5 wood, you WILL like the driver although the driver seems like it is going to be more picky when it comes to shafts. I didn't love it with the KK stock but the VTS black was awesome. The PX black I have right now is decent but I will have to see how it performs on the course. Interested to hear your thought on the 5 wood tomorrow.

I'm in Los Angeles so there's at least one non-VA tester :)! I've been traveling for work unfortunately but can't wait to get on the range and course with the Covert this weekend. Updates to come shortly!!

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1365211345' post='6771521']
[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1365209614' post='6771355']
[size=4]I don't need to hear this! If this 5 wood is good I will be FORCED to buy the driver...and maybe another fw and a hybrid. I'm going out with the a Covert Tour tomorrow on a nice, long date. [/size]

[/quote]

Seems like everybody reviewing this thing is in Virginia? Weird.

If you like the 5 wood, you WILL like the driver although the driver seems like it is going to be more picky when it comes to shafts. I didn't love it with the KK stock but the VTS black was awesome. The PX black I have right now is decent but I will have to see how it performs on the course. Interested to hear your thought on the 5 wood tomorrow.
[/quote]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

I took mine out to the range again before heading into work this afternoon and I had a little different experience than I had the previous range session. This time there was NO wind at all and I was at a flat range. The previous range sessions were on elevated tee boxes and the wind was really whipping. This time I had ZERO ballooning issues and the ball climbed at a nice steady pace. This club is flat out forgiving on any part of the face. I am used to getting penalized with my 906F2 when I am a little off, but the covert really masks mishits.

As far as picking the tour over the performance, the adjustability factor was too much to pass up. I said it earlier and I stand by it. I love how easy it is to set up and put back together.

I am usually a bargain shopper when it comes to drivers because I am such a fan of using fairway woods off the tee. When I shot a 76 at queenstown in Edgewater I used the driver off of 2 tee's and my 3 wood and hybrid did the work all day long, but I am seriously considering looking into the covert performance driver after using this 5 wood. I will probably look for the covert 3 wood or covert driver simultaneously and whichever one I find first at a decent price I will go with. I was dead set on saving and getting a new Titleist driver, but the other thing that has been of interest to me with Nike stuff is that it tends to be so much cheaper when you buy it used and I like the value of that. I am not tied to ONE brand nor do I like to be an ambassador for one brand throughout my bag.

[quote name='jeffyjeffmn' timestamp='1365224021' post='6772561']
I took mine out to the range again before heading into work this afternoon and I had a little different experience than I had the previous range session. This time there was NO wind at all and I was at a flat range. The previous range sessions were on elevated tee boxes and the wind was really whipping. This time I had ZERO ballooning issues and the ball climbed at a nice steady pace. This club is flat out forgiving on any part of the face. I am used to getting penalized with my 906F2 when I am a little off, but the covert really masks mishits.
[/quote]

Jeffy, I found the same thing hitting into the wind. Then I did a side by side comparison with my Covert, my Super LS and even my MPH4....All same results. Ball went out on normal trajectory, but kept rising and rising. A strong headwind will throw a couple thousand RPM's on a ball when using a launch monitor.

We have had some pretty brutal winds around here lately and its tough to find a spot on the range where it doesnt impact you much.

And Nike and WRX, thanks for helping me drain some of my pocket book. I just placed a WTB ad last night for a tour 3w.....

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1365014796' post='6752555']
[size=7]**I'll be updating this post with my review after each session.**[/size]

[b][size=6]4/5/13 Update:[/size][/b]

Got some more range time with this club, hit about 30 balls the first time out with it and got about 40 in today.

My initial impressions when I hit the club the first time on the range were good but not excellent. I wasn't getting a consistent flight in terms of height but the ball flight seemed pretty strong. I was hitting it in 19* neutral at the time and it was a little higher on average than the LTD and SQ2 19* that I have. I say on average because the other two were very consistent in terms of height and shape while the Covert was a lot more inconsistent for height. The face is a touch shallower than the other two and it looked like it had more loft at address even though they all say 19* on the bottom. If I came in shallow and put a good move on it the results were similar to my other two 5 woods. If I missed steep even slightly the flight would be dramatically higher and less controllable. This is a problem because I hit my fairway woods with a descending angle of attack for some of the shots I like to hit. My overall impressions after the first session were that it was very solid, the sound and feel were very good if not muted but the consistency wasn't quite there.

Today (Friday) I took it out again but this time I adjusted it to the 18* RIGHT setting. This made a world of difference for me. The slightly reduced loft didn't alter my overall ball flight as much as it improved the consistency. The flight was about the same trajectory just seemed a little bit stronger but the shots that I kind of "got under" and shot up in the air were gone. I was getting a more forward ball flight that I like combined with very nice height. That is basically what I am looking for in a fairway wood for performance. The flight HAS to be forward because I've yet to come across a club with 18* of loft that doesn't go high.

As far as numbers go, I don't have any hard launch monitor numbers yet but that will come after I get on the course with it. Distance with this club is good, today I was hitting into a light to medium breeze coming into and from the left. As someone who predominantly plays a fade this this is not a good wind for me. I can loose the ball right very easily especially with the longer clubs but that wasn't an issue with this club. My swing speed with the driver mid season is 110-112, right now it is about 105-107. I carrying this club in the 235-245 range with the aforementioned wind which is very good for me. The LTD was about 5 yards shorter and the SQ2 was another 5 yards shorter than the LTD. Because the lofts and shafts are all fairly similar, I can only assume by the distance and the ball flight that this head is fairly low spinning.

My overall feeling after these two range sessions is that this club is going to be better than the two 5 woods I have already (LTD and SQ2). It is much more forgiving than the LTD and has a stronger flight when hit well than both of them. It also looks very good and sounds/feels great if you like a more muted club. I will be getting this club on the course this weekend to test it in real situations and get a sense of the turf interaction. If it performs on the course like it did on the range, I can't see how it won't beat out the LTD and SQ2. I already have a heavier shaft coming for it as I like to have a pattern of shaft weights in my bag. I'm really digging the Fujikura offerings right now so it will be either a tour issue Motore Speeder 8.2 or 8.1.

On a side note, I shafted up a Covert Tour driver with a Project X Black 6.5 and hit that as well this afternoon. If I were to describe the driver, it looks like a J33R 420 painted red and feels/sounds and performs like a superdeep just a lot more forgiving. Pretty cool combination and really excited to get both the driver and the 5 wood on the course this weekend.
[/quote]

Great review! Looking forward to hitting it!

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Another update on this club.

I was able to hit this outside at the range again today and it was finally sunny and warm at 60* out!! When I first got to the range, we had a headwind of probably 10mph plus a gusting maybe another 5. Into the wind, the ball climbs and climbs and striping the ball off the mat I was able to get the ball to carry 210-215 and roll out maybe another 5 yards.

I was at the range for a few hours today total working on some stuff, so about an hour later I went over the grass tees and I wanted to give some more wacks on the Covert Tour Driver, make sure my settings were correct on it for tomorrows round. Hitting the ball off the grass with the 5w is a breeze, straight and high. this time the wind had died down to maybe gusts of 5mph. I was consistently hitting the ball 225-235 off the deck with 5 yards of roll out. The ball flight was nice and high, but not ballooning with a nice tight draw and landing pretty soft.

Since i am going to try and play this on some of the par 4's tomorrow, I decided to tee it up and hit the ball. So I grabbed a shorty tee laying around, shoved it down so that it had about half the thickness of your fingers teed up. Just enough to say it wasnt sitting on the grass. WOW!!!! This thing is a rocket launcher!! I have really been trying to hit down on the ball with my FW's and at least scrape the grass in front of the ball and the same move gave me a ball that flew 250 yards and rolled out to 255.

I didnt believe it, I actually said no way out loud on the range and the older gentlemen standing besides me said "Holy SH*T". So I teed up another, then another, and then another...All 4 balls were sitting within a blankets distance of each other. Again, high draw ball that just kept going and going....I am still in shock and dont believe it went that far! I am in love of this deep face, off the grass, the tee and I am betting from the rough too.

I am worried about playing this stock shaft in the wind, but will take care of that with a 8x Black that is on its way. I am very very shocked in the quality of this stock shaft! I could probably tip this another 1/2-1" and play it. Like I said in the beginning I am a high spin player, and for me not to hook this thing off the planet is amazing!

Again this 5w showed me how forgiving it was today. I can hit heel shots, toe shots, thin and even a hair heavy and the ball just goes. I am starting to get some pretty good wear on this, the face shows a sweet spot markings and the sole right under the bottom of the face is showing some discolor and the black is turning to a shiny grey.

I will take some more pics of it tomorrow, and report back my thoughts of it on the course.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

I'm working on a longer, more thorough review but I will say this...

[size=6][b]Impressed![/b][/size]

I hope to get the longer version posted up tomorrow.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M