For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

odd numbers

i went to a bridgestone launch monitor fitting and my numbers made me want to reshaft my driver

Driver: r7 425 10.5 V2 Stiff 65g

Avg SS: 111 mph

Launch angle: 15

Avg Ball Speed: 148 mph

Back spin: 3800

Avg Carry: 240

i was making pretty good contact with the driver so i'm not sure what leading to the low ball speed compared to my SS. would i benefit from and Xstiff V2??? i feel like i'm losing yardage because of all the numbers compared to my SS. Please Help.

Again, Base on your lLM numbers...it shows that you have a decending blow tendency at impact. If you can fix that problem, you'll see big improvement in distance and carry. You might need 9.5* if the LA stay around what it is now.

Joe

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base on your LM data, especially launch angle in relation to your spin rate... I would check your swing path first if you have a tendency on decending blow and swaying your hip forward. I would fix those first if i were you IMO. I don't think changing the shaft will help you that much IMO.

Joe

thanks Joe, that is impressive that you know my problem from my swing data only! yep, that is the thing I am working on the most right now. out of curiosity, since you could tell that information from my data and mentioned launch angle in relation to my spin rate...can you tell me where would you ideally want those to be for optimal performance? is the spin too high for the angle?

Base on your LM data, especially launch angle in relation to your spin rate... I would check your swing path first if you have a tendency on decending blow and swaying your hip forward. I would fix those first if i were you IMO. I don't think changing the shaft will help you that much IMO.

Joe

thanks Joe, that is impressive that you know my problem from my swing data only! yep, that is the thing I am working on the most right now. out of curiosity, since you could tell that information from my data and mentioned launch angle in relation to my spin rate...can you tell me where would you ideally want those to be for optimal performance? is the spin too high for the angle?

It's all depends lots of factors. Most ideal numbers that people talked about are for the PGA pro w/ a tour course condition. If you increase your launch angle to what we think is "ideal" ( 13.5-14 ), your spin rate will increase also without fixing your swing first.

What is ideal for a pro is not always ideal for 15 handicaper if they want to hit more FW with reasonable amount of lost in distance. No use to hit 280 yards w/ your speed if you can't hit a FW above 60% in your level of skill IMO. Not every 15 handicap have the same ideal numbers also if their strenght of the game is different, swing profile is different, etc.

Imagine also if at impact you catch the ball at 3* open face angle at 100mph, do you think spin rate at 2500rpm will be at the same spot compare to 3000rpm? In most case at 2500 you'll probably on the right rought or under the tree and at 3000 you'll be on the right side of the FW or second cut only. Yes, you do loose some distance, but i bet you not much at all for 500 rpm differences....but you'll probably hit 20%-30% more FW ( maybe even more ).

Basically, the more consistent our swing is the more we can apply more science in your club. In most cases, definitely changing shaft will help to achieve it but the biggest % is still within ourself.

Be realistic and honest to our self is the first key of success of fitting IMO!

I would rather pay $100 or more for fitting session to a fitter who has a good faith trying to help motivation than a free fitter w/ big sales motivation behind it. A fancy lots of hi tech machine golf shop usually drive the fitter to get his investment return ASAP, especially if they show a plaque for the best seller for one OEM part/component company only.

My 2 cents!

Joe

Just took posession of my new Ping Rapture 10.5 degree driver with an Aldila VS Proto STIFF shaft. I was fitted by the Ping guy down here and placed my order a few weeks later. I had a hit at the range and then had a round over the weekend with it. It went pretty well, but for some reason it felt a bit stiffer than I remember the demo being.

Low and behold, I was going through some papers last night and found the paper that the Ping guy wrote my specs on. He wrote down as per the above, however advised a REGULAR flex - not STIFF! :lol: So, basically I have exhaustively researched and hit tons of drivers and ultimately came to this choice as the best for me - and I order the wrong freakin' spec. I now remember the guy saying that this shaft in Regular was pretty much like many stock shafts that are Stiff.

So what I'm trying to figure out is how badly have I screwed this up? I guess at the end of the day it depends on how well I hit the driver - and I do hit it pretty well for having just started using it, so its not a disaster or anything. Just a lotta dough to throw down and not get exactly what was advised. It does FEEL very stiff at the point of contact, so I'm trying to figure out if that is just something that I will get used to or whether it isn't just isn't the most appropriate shaft. It is the first stiff shaft club I have had, as I have been playing with an older second-hand set (driver is Great Big Bertha, 9.5, Reg from about 1995) that are good clubs but never were fitted to my swing. So, I'm really starting the fitting process from scratch.

My swing speed - only measured with a 5-iron is around 90 mph. Smooth tempo swing with about a 5-6 on the consistency scale currently. My good shot is straight but prone to hooking/pulling. Handicap 18. Any insights you can provide on this would be great (on the shaft situation - not the brain malfunction please). Thanks in advance!

Joe,

I recently purchased an FT 5 9.5 with the E360 Fuji stiff. I had tested the same specs once and liked the result. After I got my own, the shots were very very high and often blocked to the right. I brought the club back to the retailer and they are changing it out for the 8.5 head with the Speeder 686 stiff shaft. Do you think this will help flatten out the trajectory and eliminate the pushes?

My current (old) driver is an 8.5 Launcher comp with an MFS Matrix stiff. I love this club and its ball flight.

About me:

Hdcp - about 1

Mph Driver 115 - 117

Carry Distance 270 - 275

Tempo - Medium to quick

Joe,

I recently purchased an FT 5 9.5 with the E360 Fuji stiff. I had tested the same specs once and liked the result. After I got my own, the shots were very very high and often blocked to the right. I brought the club back to the retailer and they are changing it out for the 8.5 head with the Speeder 686 stiff shaft. Do you think this will help flatten out the trajectory and eliminate the pushes?

My current (old) driver is an 8.5 Launcher comp with an MFS Matrix stiff. I love this club and its ball flight.

About me:

Hdcp - about 1

Mph Driver 115 - 117

Carry Distance 270 - 275

Tempo - Medium to quick

YOu gonna need a tip stiff high kick shaft in X flex, possible tipped S flex.

It'll be lot more precise and easier for me to fit you if you if you have more complete LM data w/ the club you are trying to reshaft.

JOe

Hey Guys....new to the board so be kind.

I recently purchased a TaylorMade 425 Quad TP 9.5 * w/Aldila NV 75g Stiff shaft.

The previous owner cut it to 44 in.

I'm 5' 7" and a 5 handicap. I'm also in the process of changing to a one plane swing, so my drives are mostly low and a bit left. However, I'm learning to adjust and seeing good results....especially with my short and mid irons. My tempo is medium and I tend to lose my "angle" a little earlier than I should.

That said, a recent swing analysis (with a 9.5 degree stiff TaylorMade Burner) showed the following:

140 mph ball speed

95 mph swing speed

13.4 launch angle

3300 spin rate

240 yard carry

My goal is to have a high-launch/low spin combo (doesn't evryone want that?) by choosing an ideal shaft. The TaylorMade 425 TP has a .335 bore.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Hey Guys....new to the board so be kind.

I recently purchased a TaylorMade 425 Quad TP 9.5 * w/Aldila NV 75g Stiff shaft.

The previous owner cut it to 44 in.

I'm 5' 7" and a 5 handicap. I'm also in the process of changing to a one plane swing, so my drives are mostly low and a bit left. However, I'm learning to adjust and seeing good results....especially with my short and mid irons. My tempo is medium and I tend to lose my "angle" a little earlier than I should.

That said, a recent swing analysis (with a 9.5 degree stiff TaylorMade Burner) showed the following:

140 mph ball speed

95 mph swing speed

13.4 launch angle

3300 spin rate

240 yard carry

My goal is to have a high-launch/low spin combo (doesn't evryone want that?) by choosing an ideal shaft. The TaylorMade 425 TP has a .335 bore.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Again! Honestly speaking from looking at your LM data...If i gave you a shaft that will launch 14*( assuming all factors calculated to your ideal spec )...Your spin rate at best will stay around 3300-3500 if you don't change your swing path at impact.

I bet ya if you can shallow your swing at impact possition....you might not even need to change the shaft at all. If you can fix this issue, you'll have a better ball compression...thus you'll produce less spin and higher ball speed = better smash factor.

I'm not a high believer in changing balls to much. WHY? Short game ( pitching, chipping, putting ) are a very high % of our scoring factor...so my thinking is go w/ your comfortable balls for your short game first, especially if the spin that going to what most people call better isn't giving you to a level that is a fair trade and we can start thinking what is the best shaft head combo to give you the best highest % FW hit at the longest yardage by statistic ( not by one good hit only ).

Would you give up 2-4 strokes of your total score for 5-10 longer in your drive due to 300-400rpm less spin?

Good Luck!

Joe

Hey Joe,

You seem to be very knowledgable so I'm going to throw a couple of questions out to you. Firstly, I've got OEM X-Stiff irons which are actually nowhere near X according to Hot Stix testing. They're much softer. The guy there recommended flighted Rifle shafts 6.0 or 6.5. Can you give me some advice about what to reshaft with? Normal Rifles or Project X? Anything else you like? I'm around scratch. I don't have all my specs on driver with me but from memory SS 115-118, low spin (2800??), launch angle is around 14, carry is 280. Graf Blue X is my driver shaft or maybe a tipped Graf Blue S. Can't get anything out of Aldila shafts, never have. Most driver shafts I try aren't stable enough, whereas with Graf Blue I know I can rip at it as hard as I want and it's stable. I'm looking for the same feeling with irons.

Thanks,

Hey Joe,

You seem to be very knowledgable so I'm going to throw a couple of questions out to you. Firstly, I've got OEM X-Stiff irons which are actually nowhere near X according to Hot Stix testing. They're much softer. The guy there recommended flighted Rifle shafts 6.0 or 6.5. Can you give me some advice about what to reshaft with? Normal Rifles or Project X? Anything else you like? I'm around scratch. I don't have all my specs on driver with me but from memory SS 115-118, low spin (2800??), launch angle is around 14, carry is 280. Graf Blue X is my driver shaft or maybe a tipped Graf Blue S. Can't get anything out of Aldila shafts, never have. Most driver shafts I try aren't stable enough, whereas with Graf Blue I know I can rip at it as hard as I want and it's stable. I'm looking for the same feeling with irons.

Thanks,

1. What OEM X stiff iron? what head and what shaft? and what spec it was build at?

2. What is wrong with it? What result you have now? Why do you want to change it?

3. I need more info about your iron shot data, 5 iron SS? How far you hit it? How high your ball flight is?

Try to be as complete as possible!

Joe

Ah, data, data, data ... sorry, I'll do my best with this: they're TM rac LTIIs. To tell you the truth, I went to Hot Stix to bend them a little flatter. They looked at them overall and said I needed new shafts to combat pulls. My miss is a straight pull which the clubfitter said was more likely to be a result of the soft flex rather than the standard lie. My dispersion pattern was pretty near the centre though on the lie board it was an inch toward the toe. My SS with a 5 iron is around 90mph I believe. I carry it 190/195. My ball flight is quite high, usually lands soft. What I'm looking for is to really narrow my misses.

Ah, data, data, data ... sorry, I'll do my best with this: they're TM rac LTIIs. To tell you the truth, I went to Hot Stix to bend them a little flatter. They looked at them overall and said I needed new shafts to combat pulls. My miss is a straight pull which the clubfitter said was more likely to be a result of the soft flex rather than the standard lie. My dispersion pattern was pretty near the centre though on the lie board it was an inch toward the toe. My SS with a 5 iron is around 90mph I believe. I carry it 190/195. My ball flight is quite high, usually lands soft. What I'm looking for is to really narrow my misses.

You are still not telling us what shaft is in them.

Is it the flex to soft or is it the soft tip design shaft he is talking about? All of that still not telling me why you are drawing the ball to much. It could be from how you load the shaft on the down swing. How quick/aggressive is your swing tempo? How about checking your swing patern on a slow motion camera? May be your swing plane is to flat?

1" toward the toe? You are confusing us here. Where is the lie board marking in relation to the sweet spot? is it toward the face area or to the back side of it or in the middle of the sole? Is it a straight marked or diagonal/tilt?

Yes! Your 5 iron distance tell us you might be on a X flex...but lots of factor to consider before giving you an answer. Lots of people out there think is that SIMPLE!

Mental factor need to be ready also to get fitted in order to except what the honest good fitter will say. Bare in mind club fitter is not neccessary a clubmaker, vise versa!

Joe

Hey Joe,

Thanks for trying but this seems waaaaay too hard. They're TaylorMade stock X shafts, I don't know what they use but it's probably cheap. The lie board mark was straight, about an inch out toward the toe. I'm a strong swinger of the club in general and probably quicker than most. I don't know what else to tell you, just looking for some more expert opinion than my own. I am going to get Rifle shafts (try flighted and not) and then the Project Xs in 6.0 and 6.5 - as per the clubfitter's recommendation - and see which I like. If you have anything more to add, let me know.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for trying but this seems waaaaay too hard. They're TaylorMade stock X shafts, I don't know what they use but it's probably cheap. The lie board mark was straight, about an inch out toward the toe. I'm a strong swinger of the club in general and probably quicker than most. I don't know what else to tell you, just looking for some more expert opinion than my own. I am going to get Rifle shafts (try flighted and not) and then the Project Xs in 6.0 and 6.5 - as per the clubfitter's recommendation - and see which I like. If you have anything more to add, let me know.

If you are a high ball hitter by nature, i would stay away from Rifle or PX 6.0 ( 6.5-7.0 is probably ok due to higher kick point and stiffer tip). Look for a Tour concept also as your options if you are trying to hit the ball higher only on the longer iron.

Good luck!

Joe

Thanks Joe, appreciate your help. I should also add that I had S300 shafts in Mizuno heads (I loved those heads) but I hit the ball really high and got rid of them. I used to play Hogans and I always liked the 4 shaft but I tried some new Hogans last year and something's different with the 4 shaft, not as stiff and yet again, I was hitting moon balls. I thought flighted Rifles would help to control trajectory. I hit long irons very high but that's ok, they land soft. Do you have an opinion on Black Gold shafts?

Thanks Joe, appreciate your help. I should also add that I had S300 shafts in Mizuno heads (I loved those heads) but I hit the ball really high and got rid of them. I used to play Hogans and I always liked the 4 shaft but I tried some new Hogans last year and something's different with the 4 shaft, not as stiff and yet again, I was hitting moon balls. I thought flighted Rifles would help to control trajectory. I hit long irons very high but that's ok, they land soft. Do you have an opinion on Black Gold shafts?

I think you should stop messing around and pick your self a DGX100 IMO.

Joe

Hi you all!

I've noticed quit a bit of you guys asking for a help in picking up the shaft. However, a lot of you guys didn't give us enough detail info on your swing and existing shaft set up. We will be able to help you much better if you can provide us as much as possible info:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

8. etc.

The more the merrier basically.

Bare in mind, No shaft is better than the one fit your swing profile...No matter what the cost is!!!

IMHGO Exotic shafts have a very distinctive feel and character and they have a tighter quality control. So if you ask me to copy a certain set up that you like, It's most likely easier for me to get it from a better quality controlled shafts. Some feel player can only go w/ a certain brand due to these feel and character.

NO! I'm not crazy to fit some one w/ an exotic expensive shaft only, even though i'm more comfortable working w/ them. I'm very open minded limited to what i know only of course ( Usually on popular brands only ). I will do my best to give every body enough options to chose from. To many shaft brand out there, i can't keep up...So i only try to keep up w/ the popular one only.

So help us to make our job easier and more effective to help you.

Thanks a million!

Regards,

Joe Kwok :)

ps: If I missed anything here, any body can help me to add some comment THX!

For you who need help directly from me, please read this post first:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=41987&hl

I'm soon probably putting i'5 or i'10's in the bag coming from taylormade 320's. I would love to keep a stock cheap cop out option but what is gonna be best for me.

1. I'm coming from taylormade 320's that are just hand me downs and nothing special for me.

2. I'm sometimes quick tempo but I work on being smoother.

3. Don't really know my handicap but im probably in the mid to high 20's.

4. Just time to get something for me.

5. No

6. Something for me and something simple

7. No First set of irons for me and the first thing I will ever spend my own money on thats more then 500$. I have a brand new car that was 18k but I didn't pay for that so this will be my first major purchase of my life. Just want it right and cover all the bases. I'm willing to pay a upcharge I guess but if I purchased i'5s I would be a little more open to it because of the cheaper price. Thanks a ton for the help.

Driver - Ping G425 LST 10.5 w Ping Tour 65XS
3 Wood - Ping G425 Max 14.5 w Ping Tour 75XS
Utility - Callaway Apex UW 19 w HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Irons - Callaway Apex 19 Smoke w KBS C-Taper Lite 115X
Gap Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10 F w S400 Dynamic Gold Tour
Sand Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM8 54.10 S w S400 Dynamic Gold Tour
Lob Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM8 60.12 D w S400 Dynamic Gold Tour
Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback

I'm not looking for shafts but was wondering if anyone could give the characteristics/description of my Hogan Apex Tour Weight high modulus carbon fiber shafts? I'd guess they are from 14 years ago? I like them, I'm happy with how I hit the ball but I have no clue about the shaft characteristics.
You are in the wrong folder here.

You're supposed to post it on domestic or clubmaker folder.

I'll delete these post tonight!

THX!

Joe

Hi Joe ,

I was wondering if you can help me select a shaft for the irons I'm ordering . I will be getting Mizuno Mp-57 . I was thinking about project x flighted . I'm not sure about 5.0 or 5.5 . My swing speed is about 82-85 mph with a 5 iron , driver is about 92-96 . Thier website syas 5.0 is for 75 mph with a 6 iron . I hear the project x plays stiffer . I'm 6 ft tall and currently play standard length x tours with dynamic gold sl reg's . Hope you can help

thanks Jet

Hi Joe ,

I was wondering if you can help me select a shaft for the irons I'm ordering . I will be getting Mizuno Mp-57 . I was thinking about project x flighted . I'm not sure about 5.0 or 5.5 . My swing speed is about 82-85 mph with a 5 iron , driver is about 92-96 . Thier website syas 5.0 is for 75 mph with a 6 iron . I hear the project x plays stiffer . I'm 6 ft tall and currently play standard length x tours with dynamic gold sl reg's . Hope you can help

thanks Jet

Email me to [email protected]

I can order any Mizuno iron and build them to your spec.

Joe

Hey Joe

I'm looking to get a 3 wood. I have hit the DCT fairway wood from Geek Golf and love it. But I don't know what shaft to pair it with. In my failsafe 2, also by Geek, i have a speeder x757.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) Don't have a 3 wood...

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger ) quick

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? I'm 7 handicap and consistency around a 8

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? don't have one

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) this is with my driver: ss 115-120, launch angle 13-14.5, ball speed 165-170 but i don't remember for sure, spin rate 2500-3500

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? a mid boring ball flight that won't be affected by the wind

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? my lie angle is 2* up right

any help would be much appreciated... thanks

Joe,

I'm from Australia and have found that i really cant keep my ballflight down with the drive

Set Up: Handicap 5

983K 9.5 deg W/ Aldila NV 65 S

LM Data: SS 118 Mph

Ball Speed: 165 Mph

Spin: 3490 rpm

Launch Angle: 16deg

I have a quick tempo and have a good deal of lag in the downswing, the path is square/slightly inside and hit up on the ball 1 deg. i play the new pro v1x. swing is pretty consistent and usual shape is a fade. any ideas?

i feel like i need something heavy and stiffer?

Adam

Joe,

I'm from Australia and have found that i really cant keep my ballflight down with the drive

Set Up: Handicap 5

983K 9.5 deg W/ Aldila NV 65 S

LM Data: SS 118 Mph

Ball Speed: 165 Mph

Spin: 3490 rpm

Launch Angle: 16deg

I have a quick tempo and have a good deal of lag in the downswing, the path is square/slightly inside and hit up on the ball 1 deg. i play the new pro v1x. swing is pretty consistent and usual shape is a fade. any ideas?

i feel like i need something heavy and stiffer?

Adam

G'day mate,

You might want to try a lower loft and combine it w/ a 75-85gr X flex shaft tip stiff midhigh or high kick shaft. You might want to try also slightly shorter set up for better control, but i would recommend this if you have to only...because messing up with lenght, you'll mess up your tempo and timing too. Some players can get it easier than other, trying it is the only way to find out.

Common problem to see a hitter/aggressive swinger who lag it pretty well missed it to the right w/ softer tip shaft flex.

Good Luck!

Joe

I have a Callaway FT-3 9* with a stock stiff shaft.

Avg SS: 92 mph

Avg Ball Speed: 132 mph

Back spin: 3600

Side Spin: 200

Avg Carry: 230

I looking to get more distance and reduce the side spin. WHen I hit this wrong there is a hugh slice to the right.

First, you need to check the first post of this thread to understand what info you need to provide me with.

Second:

1. Try R flex.

2. Check your swing if you do maintain your spined possition at impact possition and swing path w/ slow motion video.

I have a Callaway FT-3 9* with a stock stiff shaft.

I looking to get more distance and reduce the side spin. WHen I hit this wrong there is a hugh slice to the right.

First, you need to check the first post of this thread to understand what info you need to provide me with.

Second:

1. Try R flex.

2. Check your swing if you do maintain your spined possition at impact possition and swing path w/ slow motion video.

1. What is the club existing set up? (9*, Fusion NVS from Aldila, S, D2, 45")

2. What type of swinger are you? ( Smooth )

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? (18 Handicap, 7 - swing consistency)

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? (Not enough distance)

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Want to get more carry and roll from my driver. and reduce side spin.

I was thinking about getting the VS2 proforce (65g) or Grafalloy Comp NT in regular shaft. Would these work?