2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

No outside beverages permitted.

[color="#000000"]I think pretty much every course is going to say a flat out No to outside alcohol being allowed for multiple reasons but most will turn a blind eye to things like sports drinks and soda pop while having no real issue with someone bringing a bottle of water. Same goes for food, a simple snack bar or fresh fruit they will not raise a fuss but if you are loading up a cart with bags of snacks or a full course meal then they may have something to say at that point. [/color]

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1366298991' post='6871457']
I always bring a chef with me, and it offends me that they won't let him ride in my cart without his paying a greens fee. It's expensive enough to bring a chef. Sometimes I feel the whole world is out to get me.
[/quote]I've told you a hundred times... it's not your chef! It's your hibachi on the top of your cart with the chef banging the spatchula while making the onion volcano fire that's the problem! It's noisy, and could create a hazard in these dry conditions! And the little pee pee fireman to put it out won't be enough to stop the fire should it hit the fescue. So, stop with the "... if I can't bring my chef" malaise already!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

There's a fun little course in Aurora, Mo. that doesn't sell alcohol but has a sign posted that you're welcome to bring your own. Only caveat is that it must remain inside your cart at all times. Never heard of that one anywhere else in the world!

As someone who's managed several golf courses over the years I can tell you that I've never heard of charging high prices for beer to curtail consumption - only to jack up the bottom line. At my courses and any others that I'm familiar with their policies, the reason for prohibiting carts in the parking lot is always stated as a "liability issue" when the fact is they don't want them out there loading up their own beer. That also explains many courses not allowing carts in the parking lot BEFORE you play but you're welcome to drive them out to your vehicle to unload when you're done.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I have absolutely no problem with a course restricting outside food and beverage, within reason. It's low rent to show up to play golf with a cooler full of beer from the house or order a pizza and have it delivered to the course! Really?

Come to think of it, it's low rent to use golf as an excuse to get hammered, but that's a different discussion... If you absolutely [i][b]must[/b][/i] drink while you play, buy the booze from the course.

On food, I'll do everything I can to buy my food from the course, but I'm also a Type I diabetic so I must bring appropriate snacks to keep with me. When I need to eat, I need to eat [b][u]now[/u][/b] -- can't be waiting for the bev cart or walk back to the clubhouse. Courses could help with this by offering better food, too. No one is asking for 2 Michelin stars, but I'd hope it would make economic sense to offer something healthier than hot dogs of unknown origin, potato chips, and 64 ounce Cokes.

On water, if any course told me I couldn't bring my own bottle of water, I'd tell them they can't get my greens fees. That is absurd. I've never seen it and I can't imagine it happening.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I remember walking in to a course near my home once with 3 of my friends to play a casual round of golf. It was early on a weekday (we used to play Tuesday and Wednesday mornings) and the parking lot wasn't empty, but the course wasn't busy either.

I was carrying a bottle of water when I walked in and the guy behind the counter said something like (it's been a while), "Sir, we have a policy that you cannot bring beverages with you." Now, I immediately went to thinking that he meant alcohol and replied, "that's no problem, we'll stop in after the round for a drink or two" and he said "you will have to leave your water here". I was a little confused and upset because I usually carry 2-3 bottles in my carry bag and nobody mentioned anything when I booked the tee time (back when that was done by calling the course and talking to someone - remember that?)

It went downhill from there. At the end of the day, we walked out and went somewhere else.

They tried charging my credit card for a foursome, but I disputed it. I've never been back. As one of my friends is fond of saying....

[attachment=1642259:IMG_0007.JPG]

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1366379708' post='6877483']
I remember walking in to a course near my home once with 3 of my friends to play a casual round of golf. It was early on a weekday (we used to play Tuesday and Wednesday mornings) and the parking lot wasn't empty, but the course wasn't busy either.

I was carrying a bottle of water when I walked in and the guy behind the counter said something like (it's been a while), "Sir, we have a policy that you cannot bring beverages with you." Now, I immediately went to thinking that he meant alcohol and replied, "that's no problem, we'll stop in after the round for a drink or two" and he said "you will have to leave your water here". I was a little confused and upset because I usually carry 2-3 bottles in my carry bag and nobody mentioned anything when I booked the tee time (back when that was done by calling the course and talking to someone - remember that?)

It went downhill from there. At the end of the day, we walked out and went somewhere else.

They tried charging my credit card for a foursome, but I disputed it. I've never been back. As one of my friends is fond of saying....

[/quote]

I think the guy behind the counter in your story also had a job with the TSA at the airport, and simply got confused as to where he was.

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1366379923' post='6877505']
I think the guy behind the counter in your story also had a job with the TSA at the airport, and simply got confused as to where he was.
[/quote]

They're actually pretty well known (now) in town for their policy. I don't understand it, I don't agree with it, so I choose to go elsewhere.

I understand alcohol and major food items, but you should be able to lug a gatorade and a sammich with you onto any course.

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1366298991' post='6871457']
I always bring a chef with me, and it offends me that they won't let him ride in my cart without his paying a greens fee. It's expensive enough to bring a chef. Sometimes I feel the whole world is out to get me.
[/quote]
You are really getting ripped off. Unless your chef is playing, they should only be charging them for a CART FEE.

[/quote]

Lol that's madness.

It reminds me of the time I walked into a pro shop with my buddy to check in and the dude behind the counter told him that "you have to tuck in your sweater to play here."

Yup, he got told to tuck in his sweater.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366251448' post='6868909']
[quote name='WalleyeDave' timestamp='1366249901' post='6868735']
My home course has the same policy. I think they just want to stop the goofs that want to bring a cooler of beer on the course. They would rather sell you a $ 6 beer. I don't think they worry about a water bottle or a couple of soda's. Home course doesn't carry Mt. Dew. Told them I would be glad to buy it if they carried it, so they don't mind when I bring 1 or 2 with me.
[/quote]

The $6 beer isn't only designed to be a money maker, it's also set at that price to try and ensure that people don't over consume.

It doesn't always work but it's an attempt.
[/quote]

That's probably a low price north of the border for a beer at the course. Maybe just me but I don't drink beer when I golf. That would mean drinking everyday in the summer. I just can't do that, neither can my liver.

[quote name='mizunogolf74' timestamp='1366244164' post='6868013']
nfinch10 has it correct. It is a liability issue for the course to have "unregulated" drinking or dining. If the situation came about as nfinch said where someone got in an accident they could say the course overserved and sue. Same thing goes for food sales, someone hands out some sandwiches to the group, Joe gets sick and says he ate a bad burger from the course. May sound stupid but people sue for anything they can. Courses also have the potential to loose their liquor license should something happen due to someone getting hammered off their own alcohol. Lots of golf carts get wrecked every year and more often than not you find a bottle or they admit to having one. Only takes one idiot to ruin a course.
Water is of no concern to anyone I am aware of.
[/quote]
Actually no, It's Hawkeye and Apprentice who have it correct. Most businesses hide behind the "our legal department says so", but in most counties where I've held permits, it's set by the local liquor authority, not by the course owner for liability.

Same for the food, that is certainly not monitored by any laws. it's strictly a financial rule of the course, club or hotel. Any course can allow anyone to bring in whatever food they choose. But they choose not to, it's much more profitable to put it in the contract that all food must be purchased through the course, club or hotel.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366400259' post='6879465']

[/quote]

Lol that's madness.

It reminds me of the time I walked into a pro shop with my buddy to check in and the dude behind the counter told him that "you have to tuck in your sweater to play here."

Yup, he got told to tuck in his sweater.
[/quote]

Really? Really?

Maybe because with a tucked in sweater you can see if somebody's hiding a bottle of water on their person?

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1366378648' post='6877371']
I have absolutely no problem with a course restricting outside food and beverage, within reason. It's low rent to show up to play golf with a cooler full of beer from the house or order a pizza and have it delivered to the course! Really?

Come to think of it, it's low rent to use golf as an excuse to get hammered, but that's a different discussion... If you absolutely [i][b]must[/b][/i] drink while you play, buy the booze from the course.

On food, I'll do everything I can to buy my food from the course, but I'm also a Type I diabetic so I must bring appropriate snacks to keep with me. When I need to eat, I need to eat [b][u]now[/u][/b] -- can't be waiting for the bev cart or walk back to the clubhouse. Courses could help with this by offering better food, too. No one is asking for 2 Michelin stars, but I'd hope it would make economic sense to offer something healthier than hot dogs of unknown origin, potato chips, and 64 ounce Cokes.

On water, if any course told me I couldn't bring my own bottle of water, I'd tell them they can't get my greens fees. That is absurd. I've never seen it and I can't imagine it happening.
[/quote]

where are you going that has 64 ounce cokes?

Ever since an incident in Phoenix about ten years ago, I always bring my own water to the course. I understand the no alcohol policy but I don't think it generally extends to bringing your own bottled water and if it does, I really don't care.

[url]http://www.golfarizona.com/departments/features/virus-outbreak.htm[/url]

This thread is ridiculous. Has anyone ever been told to dispose of their own water?

In my book the line gets drawn when people are abusing policies just to be cheap. An example: smuggling a case of beer under a rain jacket to golf league because it is cheaper at the gas station. Especially if the league has a discount greens fee.

I would challenge anyone to show evidence of a confrontation over water.

Some Toronto courses have gone nuts with pricing. $8 bucks for a tall beer plus tax and service charges. That is $10.40.

Leads to lots of guys packing their on suds or booze

The States is something else. 6 beers in an ice bucket for $15. Hoochee mama. That is customer service right there. The cart girls in Florida are semi-shocked when you don't take two buckets

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1366222091' post='6865549']
The guy who ran the resturaunt at the course I worked at told me the main reason for this is liability. If somone gets hammered on the course, then drives home and gets in a wreck, the course could be held liable for overserving the patron. Buy not allowing outside coolers, the course can regulate how much they are serving each patron. The sign is largely related to alcohol, with some thought given to food sales. Any course that wouldn't allow you to bring your own water bottle/fill up your own water bottle is not worth playing imo.
[/quote]

^^^ That's the correct answer.

[quote name='Mr. Simmons' timestamp='1366907142' post='6915937']
And I still want to know how it could be proven.
[/quote]
I'm with you, I suppose the only way if it were to actually get to a court, is by supeonaing any witnesses, such as coworkers of the club or other customers that may have witnessed him continue to get drinks or get a large quantity.

But iI still believe in most instances this is a revenue decision, not a legal issue.

Vokey

Well, as I said earlier, there would be no receipts. Any self-respecting judge would throw the case out right then and there. Unless the defendant could somehow drum up credible witnesses to corroborate the story of all this free booze the club was shoving down his throat.

Revenue driven, indeed. And I really don't have a problem with that.

[quote name='Mr. Simmons' timestamp='1366907955' post='6916009']
Well, as I said earlier, there would be no receipts. Any self-respecting judge would throw the case out right then and there. Unless the defendant could somehow drum up credible witnesses to corroborate the story of all this free booze the club was shoving down his throat.

[/quote]

I wouldn't call a judge "self respecting" if he let a drunk driver who killed someone upon leaving the golf course off simply because "there were no receipts."

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make. That it's ok to drive drunk? It isn't.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366908670' post='6916099']

[/quote]

I wouldn't call a judge "self respecting" if he let a drunk driver who killed someone upon leaving the golf course off simply because "there were no receipts."

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make. That it's ok to drive drunk? It isn't.
[/quote]
Thrill...I think it's two different cases, I don't think Simmons is saying the guys shouldn't be in jail, that's a no brainer and would have been a seperate case. The case against the course would be an entirely different trial and case.

Vokey

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366908670' post='6916099']

[/quote]

[/quote]

What Carolina Golfer said.

The driver would be charged with DUI regardless.

It would be the civil suit taken against the golf course by the drunken driver that would have to be thrown out.